kaitak
Topic Author
Posts: 9279
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 5:49 am

Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:31 pm

Good afternoon folks and welcome to our first thread of 2018. As I'll be out for the rest of the day enjoying new year festivities, I thought I might launch this thread a little earlier than usual.

A very happy new year to everyone; hope it's successful, happy and filled with lots of luck and no little amount of aviation! As the saying goes, go mbeirimid anseo ag an am seo aris (May be all be here this time next year). Incidentally, the introductory words (Bliain nua ... ) are "new year, new horizons" .

So, a little run through the highlights of December's thread:

- New South gates open at DUB
- SAS Ireland finally gets its licence and launches operations.
- Growth at ORK and DUB, but DUB unlikely to reach the big 30M.
- Cork is the happiest airport in Ireland!
- EK goes back to 3 class 777s next Summer on both flights
- FR recognises unions; strikes averted.
- Wizz looking at entering Irish market

Of course, the most important thing - and let's hope it continues throughout 2018 - is that we marked another year without accidents or fatalities.

All the very best to everyone and incidentally, as many of us have been on this forum and the Irish threads "for more years than we care to remember", might it be nice to give some thought to an Irish A.net meet sometime?

Best wishes everyone and happy flying for 2018!
 
Skyblue39
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:34 am

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:12 pm

Happy New Year to all. Looks like DUB will be shy of the 30M mark in 2017. So here’s to a bumper 2018 and hitting the 30M with 16 destinations in the USA and 5 in Canada, where transatlantic traffic has continued to perform exceptionally well from Dublin, mitigating the decline in UK traffic:

- Air Canada mainline to Montreal
- Aer Lingus to Seattle and Philadelphia
- Cathay to Hong Kong A350
- Chisinau now year round with Air Moldova and FlyOne
- Luxair double daily to Luxembourg
- FR resume Marrakech and start Paphos
- Icelandair start Keflavík initially on 757 then 73M
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 22322
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:28 pm

kaitak wrote:
Good afternoon folks and welcome to our first thread of 2018. As I'll be out for the rest of the day enjoying new year festivities, I thought I might launch this thread a little earlier than usual.

Best wishes everyone and happy flying for 2018!


Happy New Year thanks for the new thread. Looks like 2018 will be a good year and maybe some surprises too.
 
User avatar
ClassicLover
Posts: 4197
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:27 pm

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:24 pm

kaitak wrote:
All the very best to everyone and incidentally, as many of us have been on this forum and the Irish threads "for more years than we care to remember", might it be nice to give some thought to an Irish A.net meet sometime?


Happy New Year to all :)

Looking forward to seeing the final Dublin figures. My wish for the year is for another lounge at Dublin as the DAA one in T1 is poor.

Other than that, I'd be up for a meet sometime, perhaps in July or August. By the amount people speak on here, I daresay it will be a chatty one. Looking forward to seeing what Irish aviation brings us this year!
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:11 pm

Happy New Year everyone!!

The Wizz base is interesting but not at all necessary to open EE routes. Also very risky. I am wondering is the real aim to set up an Irish subsidiary??

EI leaving WAW this week would open an opportunity but would prefer to see LOT. They could make some EE routes work and depending on the selection, FR may not go after them because of the work involved. Now if they went onto core EE routes they haven't a hope of surviving.
 
NWADTWE16
Posts: 292
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:12 am

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:18 pm

I just want to say I made my first trip to Ireland and Scotland just this December and I already cant wait to go back. Dublin airport was excellent, and I used it a few times, arriving from CDG on AirFrance (Cleared immigration in 2 minutes). 2 days later I did what many advised me not to even try, which was the 1040a DUB-EDI on EI Regional,(Boarding the beautiful ATR72 emblazoned with the shamrock from the ramp is always a thrill) and I returned early actually so I wouldn't be caught in Freezing Rain and stuck in EDI, again arrival and welcoming to Ireland was swift. The next morning I left again on AF at the ungodly 6am hour, everything was smooth as ice, no pun intended. Great airport, even better City, Dublin is, and the people are amazing. Happy new year! Athbhliain faoi mhaise dhaoibh ~
I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list!
 
neutral
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:43 pm

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:15 pm

Any talk of Norwegian increasing their existing flights from Dublin or starting any new destinations?
 
kaitak
Topic Author
Posts: 9279
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 5:49 am

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:22 pm

Heard that they were looking at the possibility of basing a 787 in Dublin, but not what routes it might be operating on.
 
User avatar
chrisnh
Posts: 3778
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 1999 3:59 am

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:25 pm

What’s the aircraft shortage that is causing the Titan 763 to be put on the Boston route the past few days?
 
Skyblue39
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:34 am

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:42 pm

chrisnh wrote:
What’s the aircraft shortage that is causing the Titan 763 to be put on the Boston route the past few days?


As mentioned in previous thread, on December 28th, Aer Lingus A330-200 EI-LAX operating EI145 Dublin – Los Angeles stopped the climb at 5,500 ft due to a technical issue then diverted to Shannon for a safe landing.
 
tonystan
Posts: 1490
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:39 am

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:24 am

Happy NY everyone. Looks like an exciting one at that. I reckon this time next year we will even have the bones of a new runway at DUB!
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 22322
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:11 pm

Some interesting patterns tonight . Bet the BE is fun ..


Image
 
mast2407
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:15 am

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:20 pm

OA260 wrote:
Some interesting patterns tonight . Bet the BE is fun ..


Image


A few GoArounds too. Ryanair’s flight from Leeds giving it two goes and eventually getting it third time lucky.
 
Eirules
Posts: 1655
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:17 am

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:45 pm

Anyone have any suggestions as to why Aer Lingus are so uncompetitive price wise on US non stops in business?

I checked random dates in May, July and September for JFK, EWR, PHL, ORD & IAD and the closest EI came to the other non stop competitors on the routes was €255, in some cases the difference was as high as €500. Most one stops were also cheaper

Is it simply because Aer Lingus feel they have better local brand recognition than Delta, American & United and they feel they can get a higher price? It’s not as though they’ve a global alliance such as Star or oneworld which can command loyalty and a higher price
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:01 pm

Eirules wrote:
Anyone have any suggestions as to why Aer Lingus are so uncompetitive price wise on US non stops in business?

I checked random dates in May, July and September for JFK, EWR, PHL, ORD & IAD and the closest EI came to the other non stop competitors on the routes was €255, in some cases the difference was as high as €500. Most one stops were also cheaper

Is it simply because Aer Lingus feel they have better local brand recognition than Delta, American & United and they feel they can get a higher price? It’s not as though they’ve a global alliance such as Star or oneworld which can command loyalty and a higher price


Supply and demand, the EI J product is good and loads are doing well.
 
User avatar
AmricanShamrok
Posts: 1900
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 2:03 pm

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:32 pm

Eirules wrote:
Anyone have any suggestions as to why Aer Lingus are so uncompetitive price wise on US non stops in business?

I checked random dates in May, July and September for JFK, EWR, PHL, ORD & IAD and the closest EI came to the other non stop competitors on the routes was €255, in some cases the difference was as high as €500. Most one stops were also cheaper

Is it simply because Aer Lingus feel they have better local brand recognition than Delta, American & United and they feel they can get a higher price? It’s not as though they’ve a global alliance such as Star or oneworld which can command loyalty and a higher price

I travel to the States 1-2 times per year in Y and EI are usually one of the most uncompetitive price-wise. Maybe they are picking up more transfer traffic now so can afford to charge more to O&D passengers. When I flew to ORD in October it was the first time in years that EI were the best option for me; previous to that I hadn't flown with them transatlantic since 2012.

UA and BA consistently seem to be the most price-competitive (in Y anyway) and more than once I've found BA World Traveller Plus fares to be cheaper than World Traveller.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 22322
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:24 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
Eirules wrote:
Anyone have any suggestions as to why Aer Lingus are so uncompetitive price wise on US non stops in business?

I checked random dates in May, July and September for JFK, EWR, PHL, ORD & IAD and the closest EI came to the other non stop competitors on the routes was €255, in some cases the difference was as high as €500. Most one stops were also cheaper

Is it simply because Aer Lingus feel they have better local brand recognition than Delta, American & United and they feel they can get a higher price? It’s not as though they’ve a global alliance such as Star or oneworld which can command loyalty and a higher price

I travel to the States 1-2 times per year in Y and EI are usually one of the most uncompetitive price-wise. Maybe they are picking up more transfer traffic now so can afford to charge more to O&D passengers. When I flew to ORD in October it was the first time in years that EI were the best option for me; previous to that I hadn't flown with them transatlantic since 2012.

UA and BA consistently seem to be the most price-competitive (in Y anyway) and more than once I've found BA World Traveller Plus fares to be cheaper than World Traveller.


You hit the nail on the head. Ex DUB are often more expensive then originating in BRU FRA BCN etc.. Its a bit like BA where people were flying to DUB to get fares a lot cheaper then from Ex UK airports in Prem classes.
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:45 pm

TUI have announced the resumption of seasonl PMI service from NOC to complement REU which resumed a few years ago. They will also add an extra weekly to REU (x4 weekly) and PMI (x6 weekly) out of DUB.
 
User avatar
aemoreira1981
Posts: 1069
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:17 am

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:40 am

OA260 wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:
Eirules wrote:
Anyone have any suggestions as to why Aer Lingus are so uncompetitive price wise on US non stops in business?

I checked random dates in May, July and September for JFK, EWR, PHL, ORD & IAD and the closest EI came to the other non stop competitors on the routes was €255, in some cases the difference was as high as €500. Most one stops were also cheaper

Is it simply because Aer Lingus feel they have better local brand recognition than Delta, American & United and they feel they can get a higher price? It’s not as though they’ve a global alliance such as Star or oneworld which can command loyalty and a higher price

I travel to the States 1-2 times per year in Y and EI are usually one of the most uncompetitive price-wise. Maybe they are picking up more transfer traffic now so can afford to charge more to O&D passengers. When I flew to ORD in October it was the first time in years that EI were the best option for me; previous to that I hadn't flown with them transatlantic since 2012.

UA and BA consistently seem to be the most price-competitive (in Y anyway) and more than once I've found BA World Traveller Plus fares to be cheaper than World Traveller.


You hit the nail on the head. Ex DUB are often more expensive then originating in BRU FRA BCN etc.. Its a bit like BA where people were flying to DUB to get fares a lot cheaper then from Ex UK airports in Prem classes.


How much of this was a factor in BA's long (and ultimately successful) chasing of EI? Basically, it can serve as an overflow to LHR. Pre-clearance at DUB also helps a lot as on the East Coast, EI flights can go to a B6 gate making connections easy along the East Coast.

As for a future US destination---how would DFW look on the EI route map as a summer seasonal destination?
 
mast2407
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:15 am

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:07 pm

Looking like weather is causing a diversion with today’s EI105 from Dublin to JFK diverting to Washington DC. Wonder how many others will be affected...
 
Skyblue39
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:34 am

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:41 pm

In addition to the usual Air Canada A333 (AC842/AC843), there was an extra rotation to Toronto today from Dublin, again on mainline A333 (AC2042/AC2043). Good to see the extra lift on Air Canada. They are getting a lot of transfer traffic through YYZ from the USA surprisingly, with pretty good fares.
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:03 pm

Skyblue39 wrote:
In addition to the usual Air Canada A333 (AC842/AC843), there was an extra rotation to Toronto today from Dublin, again on mainline A333 (AC2042/AC2043). Good to see the extra lift on Air Canada. They are getting a lot of transfer traffic through YYZ from the USA surprisingly, with pretty good fares.


Engine issues on Tuesdays ex YYZ, Wednesday ex DUB hence the flight operated today in addition to scheduled service.
 
kaitak
Topic Author
Posts: 9279
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 5:49 am

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:29 am

JetBlue looking at Ireland ...

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... and-report

Also, interesting to note that Westjet is going to be operating 738s to DUB this Summer (as opposed to the 73Gs, last year), with the St. John's service originating and terminating at YYZ.

Also, good news for EI in the IAG family - the strongest performer!

http://www.travelextra.ie/aer-lingus-st ... pc-growth/
 
shamrock321
Posts: 644
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 7:27 pm

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:07 pm

So apparently it’s been confirmed that Menzies will enter the ground handling business at DUB and will take over BA/IB/VY from April, can anyone confirm?

A relative who works on the ground at EI suggests this could be the beginning of IAG outsourcing ground handling for all IAG airlines at DUB including EI!
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 22322
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:59 pm

kaitak wrote:
JetBlue looking at Ireland ...

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... and-report

Also, interesting to note that Westjet is going to be operating 738s to DUB this Summer (as opposed to the 73Gs, last year), with the St. John's service originating and terminating at YYZ.

Also, good news for EI in the IAG family - the strongest performer!

http://www.travelextra.ie/aer-lingus-st ... pc-growth/



B6 would be a great addition with their Mint product out of Ireland. Fingers crossed.
 
Ax586
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 7:36 pm

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:42 pm

shamrock321 wrote:
So apparently it’s been confirmed that Menzies will enter the ground handling business at DUB and will take over BA/IB/VY from April, can anyone confirm?

A relative who works on the ground at EI suggests this could be the beginning of IAG outsourcing ground handling for all IAG airlines at DUB including EI!



I can confirm they are.I work for Swissport in Dublin and we are loosing BA,Vueling,Iberia.was only told yesterday at a meeting we had.
 
User avatar
shamrock350
Posts: 4895
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:38 am

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:50 pm

Aer Lingus outsourcing ground staff at Dublin has been rumoured for over a decade, it's definitely been used by management as a negotiating tactic in past disputes but it would be a mistake in my view. The short term effect would be immediate unrest within all departments followed by the usual ballots and strike threats, the long term effects would be a serious drop in quality of service on the ground.

It obviously makes sense to outsource at UK and European airports, maybe even at smaller home bases like ORK and SNN but the DUB/HUB? Not a chance.

Good to see Aer Lingus still performing strongly within IAG though, the next long term step needs to be looking at the short haul network and eventual fleet replacement now that the transatlantic strategy is bearing fruit.
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:06 pm

EI have used it a lot in recent years but I don't think they would ever outsource the whole lot at DUB (possibly some areas). On a related note they are hiring handlers for 2018 summer season.
 
User avatar
shamrock350
Posts: 4895
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:38 am

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:00 pm

Airbus gave us our first look at the A321LR today...kind of.

Image

The Airbus Cabin Flex variant features a new door configuration which will become the base for the A321LR and eventually all A321neo models. While not actually being the LR version, Airbus have opted to paint it in a livery promoting the longer range and have given the cockpit windows an A350 style makeover.

This is essentially a sneak peek at the future east coast work horse for Aer Lingus!
 
styles9002
Posts: 244
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 8:21 pm

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:07 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
Airbus gave us our first look at the A321LR today...kind of.

Image

The Airbus Cabin Flex variant features a new door configuration which will become the base for the A321LR and eventually all A321neo models. While not actually being the LR version, Airbus have opted to paint it in a livery promoting the longer range and have given the cockpit windows an A350 style makeover.

This is essentially a sneak peek at the future east coast work horse for Aer Lingus!


Or, also the workhorse for a new entrant like JetBlue as well as current competitor Norwegian...
It is what it is.
 
User avatar
Jayafe
Posts: 763
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:12 pm

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:48 pm

styles9002 wrote:
Or, also the workhorse for a new entrant like JetBlue as well as current competitor Norwegian...


Unlikely for DY as their fleet structure is Boeing only so far, and with not quite safe future...
Last edited by Jayafe on Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
shamrock350
Posts: 4895
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:38 am

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:51 pm

styles9002 wrote:
Or, also the workhorse for a new entrant like JetBlue as well as current competitor Norwegian...

Okay thanks but JetBlue hasn't announced Dublin yet and Norwegian hasn't confirmed that their A321LR will be based in Ireland. I'll throw in Air Transat, Azores and Primera too, you know, out of fairness.

I get the message you were trying to send though. :wave:
 
EI321
Posts: 4838
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:43 pm

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:17 am

Makes you wonder how many more of the mainline North American carriers besides AC will use the A321neoLR and 737MAX to Ireland.
 
LTenEleven
Posts: 336
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:56 pm

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:19 am

Jayafe wrote:
styles9002 wrote:
Or, also the workhorse for a new entrant like JetBlue as well as current competitor Norwegian...


Unlikely for DY as their fleet structure is Boeing only so far, and with not quite safe future...


http://www.airbus.com/newsroom/press-re ... outes.html

Image
 
Cunard
Posts: 1000
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:47 am

Jayafe wrote:
styles9002 wrote:
Or, also the workhorse for a new entrant like JetBlue as well as current competitor Norwegian...


Unlikely for DY as their fleet structure is Boeing only so far, and with not quite safe future...


You need to catch up dude as the above photo and link shows Norwegian have 30 A321LR on order which was actually announced on the 14 June 2016.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 22322
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:49 am

LTenEleven wrote:
Jayafe wrote:
styles9002 wrote:
Or, also the workhorse for a new entrant like JetBlue as well as current competitor Norwegian...


Unlikely for DY as their fleet structure is Boeing only so far, and with not quite safe future...


http://www.airbus.com/newsroom/press-re ... outes.html

Image


Thanks for the reminder I actually had forgotten that order .
 
User avatar
aemoreira1981
Posts: 1069
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:17 am

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:14 am

Jayafe wrote:
styles9002 wrote:
Or, also the workhorse for a new entrant like JetBlue as well as current competitor Norwegian...


Unlikely for DY as their fleet structure is Boeing only so far, and with not quite safe future...


DY (or rather, its leasing division, Arctic Aviation Assets) has an order book for 70 A320neos and 30 A321LRs. The A321LRs could be for dry-leasing or operated by the airline divisions. I wouldn't be surprised if Norwegian ended up leasing some of these to JetBlue, although JetBlue tends to buy its planes or lease to own.
 
LTenEleven
Posts: 336
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:56 pm

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:32 am

Norwegian have stated a few times that the A321LRs are to be operated by them.
 
Fd3014
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:19 pm

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:04 pm

Went spotting this morning in DUB. how come there was a DY dreamliner. FR24 says it came from JFK yesterday. What is the story with it?
 
propchaser
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:26 am

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:09 pm

JFK- OSL,Due to delays at JFK,the crew ran out of hours and diverted to DUB
 
GuruJanitor
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:50 pm

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:29 pm

kaitak wrote:
JetBlue looking at Ireland ...

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... and-report

Also, interesting to note that Westjet is going to be operating 738s to DUB this Summer (as opposed to the 73Gs, last year), with the St. John's service originating and terminating at YYZ.

Also, good news for EI in the IAG family - the strongest performer!

http://www.travelextra.ie/aer-lingus-st ... pc-growth/


Would be very happy about B6 to DUB personally. Would B6 and EI continue their partnership? Would a B6 flight between BOS-DUB or JFK-DUB be used as supplement to EI’s frequencies or competition? I’d imagine EI wouldnt want to lose the connections and feed B6 supplies them there. JFK going to 3 daily flights on one partnership for example would be a lot, but if its true B6 is going in a high premium config for their A321LRs I can see it being a good option for the tech industry and might not canabilize EI’s traffic too much. They have very similar hard products in J too.
 
HTCone
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:10 pm

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:24 pm

EI ran DUB-JFK 3 daily quite successfully until a couple of years ago, I can certainly see the evening arrival from JFK making a return on the 321LR, just a question of whether it’s EI or JBU
 
richcandy
Posts: 663
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2001 4:49 pm

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:19 am

How many years did the eastbound daytime service last?
 
Skyblue39
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:34 am

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:28 am

I think the EI102/EI103 ran for 2 successive summers on B752
 
richcandy
Posts: 663
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2001 4:49 pm

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:30 am

Slightly odd questions with regards to EI product.

Looking on ebay the other day I saw some Waterford Crystal Aer Lingus Premier glasses. (I didn’t bid. Significant other would be bouncing of the walls and I think I have some in a box somewhere)

Did EI always have Waterford Crystal glasses in their premium cabins up until the current product?

In the 1990’s then I worked in a travel agents in Belfast I remember the sales rep dropping of some brochures. The cover was green and had a sort of square logo. Was that premier or first? As an airline geek working in a travel agents, I took a copy home with me. And then of course what happens to us all…mum bins the lot when I left home.

Did Aer Lingus have three classes on their 747s?

Can anyone tell me anything about EI’s first class product?

Thanks.
 
richcandy
Posts: 663
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2001 4:49 pm

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:58 am

Sorry last historical question did EI operate DUB-SNN-BOS-ORD? If so when and does anyone have the schedule?

Thanks again

Alex
 
richcandy
Posts: 663
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2001 4:49 pm

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:01 am

Skyblue39 wrote:
I think the EI102/EI103 ran for 2 successive summers on B752


Thank you.
 
kaitak
Topic Author
Posts: 9279
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 5:49 am

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:13 pm

Hi Richcandy, yes, this route was operated . Definitely in 1990, possibly a year or two after that and definitely with 747s. ORD was then axed gif a short time (again) and reintroduced when A330s delivered. Can't remember schedule. I flew it in 1990, EI-ASJ both ways .

Good flight back from LHR to DUB this morning . Was booked on 175 this pm , but decided to come back early. No problem and no charge . If that was BA , they'd have charged me a lot to change . Came back on
'GAM , nice acft, nothing to indicate past life with SU (don't know waft I was expecting / borscht and blinis on the inflight menu? Cabin crew addressing us as comrades?!) .

DUB looking very well. Flight time just 1.01, a bit of holding N of field before landing on 10 -?-always welcome on a clear day .
 
User avatar
ClassicLover
Posts: 4197
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:27 pm

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:59 pm

richcandy wrote:
Looking on ebay the other day I saw some Waterford Crystal Aer Lingus Premier glasses. (I didn’t bid. Significant other would be bouncing of the walls and I think I have some in a box somewhere)

Did EI always have Waterford Crystal glasses in their premium cabins up until the current product?


Those Waterford Crystal glasses were absolutely gorgeous. Nice and heavy - a real quality piece of glassware. It's a shame they are gone to be fair.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 22322
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 1/18: Bliain nua, Speireachtai nua ...

Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:18 pm

richcandy wrote:
Slightly odd questions with regards to EI product.

Looking on ebay the other day I saw some Waterford Crystal Aer Lingus Premier glasses. (I didn’t bid. Significant other would be bouncing of the walls and I think I have some in a box somewhere)

Did EI always have Waterford Crystal glasses in their premium cabins up until the current product?

In the 1990’s then I worked in a travel agents in Belfast I remember the sales rep dropping of some brochures. The cover was green and had a sort of square logo. Was that premier or first? As an airline geek working in a travel agents, I took a copy home with me. And then of course what happens to us all…mum bins the lot when I left home.

Did Aer Lingus have three classes on their 747s?

Can anyone tell me anything about EI’s first class product?

Thanks.



Checked my archives and they only used Waterford Crystal from 1996.


Image

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos