dc10co

Re: The MSY thread - 2018

Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:09 am

donindc wrote:
dc10co wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:

Do you mean gate level? Ground level seems like a horrible location for a club.

I haven’t seen the plans personally, but from what I was told it will be a ramp level club ala IAD. I like the IAD club it has some spectacular ramp views.
Listen Betty, don't start up with your white zone shit again.

LAX772LR

Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:42 am

dc10co wrote:
We also received confirmation from our management a couple months ago that we would be getting a UA Club in the new terminal, ground level in concourse A.

How awesome if true... especially seeing that it's in the int'l concourse.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

SunsetLimited

Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:54 pm

The location in the INTL concourse is perfect for AC and CM elite members...and who knows, perhaps LH in the future.
Spread hope like fire.

NolaMD88fan

Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:01 pm

F9 is ending PVD and ISP in March...not really surprised by this news.

http://www.nola.com/business/index.ssf/ ... rt_m-rpt-2

LightningZ71

Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:04 pm

For international travelers transferring to domestic flights in the new terminal, there is a bag re-check room just past Customs. There is apparently some debate about if the travelers will have to clear TSA again, though I haven't heard any more about that in months. I would suspect that they will.

DJSNOLA

Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:57 pm

LightningZ71 wrote:
For international travelers transferring to domestic flights in the new terminal, there is a bag re-check room just past Customs. There is apparently some debate about if the travelers will have to clear TSA again, though I haven't heard any more about that in months. I would suspect that they will.

i always thought you had to reclear tsa when transferring in the US? personally its best if they send the transferring international passengers to the main security point since that will be much more efficient. I always get screwed in Atlanta when the security line they make me go through doesnt have TSA because you go through one thats only for transferring passengers and they dont offer all the services the main check ins do!

LAX772LR

Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:47 am

LightningZ71 wrote:
There is apparently some debate about if the travelers will have to clear TSA again, though I haven't heard any more about that in months.

Unless the government is making some radical changes, then there's no debate there: all arriving int'l connecting pax have to reclear TSA, at any US gateway airport. Unless they came on a pre-cleared flight.

Metrocard

Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:22 am

DJSNOLA wrote:

another question: currently at the airport wait times for luggage are usually quite long... is that a situation that we expect to be corrected in the new terminal with a newer baggage handling system?

I actually had to wait nearly 20 minutes for the belt to start moving a week ago. I rarely check a bag through to MSY, but even when I do I never have to wait that long.

LightningZ71

Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:00 am

Well, like I said, its a bit of a conundrum. I've heard two different stories on how it will work. One says that Air Canada's flights will be arriving in A now, which doesn't match with what I had heard before (though that was before the international concourse was a done deal) and they want a way for those passengers to not have to go through TSA as they are pre-cleared. The other said that Air Canada is going to be in B or C and everyone coming from Customs that re-checks will just head up the escalator to clear TSA.

I'm certain about the dedicated re-check room after customs though.

Nola

Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:31 pm

msycajun wrote:
Interesting that UA is planning a club and not AA who has been growing a lot this year.

There is certainly a third level (above gate level) space for a lounge in terminal A. I'm not sure, but there might be space in the terminal as well. DL will have a third level club in the terminal near concourse C, so it is not out of the question for there to be a third club space in the terminal near concourse B.

I wonder if there might be a UA push in the cards for the next year or two, they've been dwindling down to 20 or so departures lately, but if they bring back LAX and bulk up frequency to SFO, DEN, EWR, and IAD, they could bring that closer to 30.

Isn't terminal A the small 5 gate terminal? Is UA planning on taking over that entire wing, or do you really mean terminal B?

NolaMD88fan

Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:13 pm

LightningZ71 wrote:
Well, like I said, its a bit of a conundrum. I've heard two different stories on how it will work. One says that Air Canada's flights will be arriving in A now, which doesn't match with what I had heard before (though that was before the international concourse was a done deal) and they want a way for those passengers to not have to go through TSA as they are pre-cleared. The other said that Air Canada is going to be in B or C and everyone coming from Customs that re-checks will just head up the escalator to clear TSA.

Why would AC pax need to go through customs or TSA at MSY if they are pre-cleared at YYZ. The pax will simply deplane the aircraft and exit the concourse or remain in the concourse and connect to another flight like any US domestic pax. That is true whether the plane is operating from Concourse A or C.

Isn't terminal A the small 5 gate terminal? Is UA planning on taking over that entire wing, or do you really mean terminal B?

There are no plans for UA to take over Concourse A. All of the international airlines and flights will be flying out of A (AC, CM, DE, BA, WN, DL, UA). The plan is for F9 and G4 to move over to A as well. There will be two gates for them to use at the very end of A, and since they have low gate usage that should work fine. Concourse A is also at 6 gates now since B is losing a gate to accommodate the addition of A.

I could see that space on B where the gate used to be as being the new United Club location. It's a good spot for it. There is also space in Concourse A for a lounge, and I would not be shocked to see something like a Priority Pass or The Club type of lounge open there to serve BA, AA, DE, and other airline business/first class passengers.

DJSNOLA

Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:30 am

LightningZ71 wrote:

yeah that cant be right because canadian air travelers go through us customs in their originating airport.. so they land like any other domestic flight

mia

Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:39 am

It's a shame the Frontier Airlines cancelled the flights. I just got back on the flight. It was full, but the times sure were inconvenient! I am glad it was cancelled. Mainly because the temptation to take their cheap flight ruins an entire travel day on the way back. I got to the city at 5 pm after landing a little before 3; and leaving where I was staying at 9 a.m.
"Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen."

jbs2886

Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:19 am

mia wrote:
It's a shame the Frontier Airlines cancelled the flights.

mia wrote:
I am glad it was cancelled.

Is it a shame or are you glad?

mia

Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:41 pm

It’s a double edged sword: I am a cheapskate and the cancelled flight means I won’t convince myself driving out to Islip is convenient for a rock bottom fare. If they stayed around Id fly them again. In fact, I’m going back home next week, from Islip, whoopeee!
"Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen."

msycajun

Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:50 pm

I wonder if NK might give BDL a shot 3-4 weekly with F9 out of PVD. It would be far enough not to harm their BOS and EWR service and has its own broad catchment area. Plus they have would have some connections on the MSY end to fill seats.

uconn99

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:51 pm

msycajun wrote:
I wonder if NK might give BDL a shot 3-4 weekly with F9 out of PVD. It would be far enough not to harm their BOS and EWR service and has its own broad catchment area. Plus they have would have some connections on the MSY end to fill seats.

I would say it would be a long shot, there are other cities you will see added from BDL before MSY like PHX, IND, HOU (Maybe WN since UA is dropping BDL-IAH), IND, SEA, BNA and AUS come to mind. I would love to see a BDL-MSY flight but not sure there is enough O&D demand. Would Spirit offer any connections from MSY if BDL was added? I am unaware of any corporate ties between New Orleans and Hartford as well.

msycajun

Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:59 am

uconn99 wrote:
msycajun wrote:

I would say it would be a long shot, there are other cities you will see added from BDL before MSY like PHX, IND, HOU (Maybe WN since UA is dropping BDL-IAH), IND, SEA, BNA and AUS come to mind. I would love to see a BDL-MSY flight but not sure there is enough O&D demand. Would Spirit offer any connections from MSY if BDL was added? I am unaware of any corporate ties between New Orleans and Hartford as well.

It just depends on who is doing the adding. Maybe if WN starts expanding again, I wouldn't be surprised to see some of those routes, but they haven't been expanding outside of the west coast much recently. However, NK has been growing rapidly at MSY (9 new routes in the past year), which is why I suggested it, plus they do offer some connections at MSY. Apart from PHX, which is obviously a long route, none of those markets have significantly more O&D than BDL-MSY.

DJSNOLA

Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:47 pm

has anyone here ever used CLEAR and if so do you think its worth it and should NOLA offer in new terminal?

https://www.clearme.com/home

msyflyer

Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:46 pm

msycajun wrote:
uconn99 wrote:
msycajun wrote:

It just depends on who is doing the adding. Maybe if WN starts expanding again, I wouldn't be surprised to see some of those routes, but they haven't been expanding outside of the west coast much recently. However, NK has been growing rapidly at MSY (9 new routes in the past year), which is why I suggested it, plus they do offer some connections at MSY. Apart from PHX, which is obviously a long route, none of those markets have significantly more O&D than BDL-MSY.

I'm wondering how long it will take for NK to do INTL from MSY. I know many on here are hoping for SAP, but I'd settle for just SJU. Unfortunately for MSY, NK only does CUN outside of FLL with the exception of two routes.

Nola

Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:37 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
has anyone here ever used CLEAR and if so do you think its worth it and should NOLA offer in new terminal?

I've used Clear in several airports with unified security and it does make a difference in terms of time. Hopefully, they will decide to put the system in the new terminal.

LAX772LR

Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:44 pm

msyflyer wrote:
I'm wondering how long it will take for NK to do INTL from MSY. I know many on here are hoping for SAP, but I'd settle for just SJU.

But seeing as SJU is a 100% domestic flight, I'm not really sure what the relevance here is.

msyflyer

Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:28 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
msyflyer wrote:
I'm wondering how long it will take for NK to do INTL from MSY. I know many on here are hoping for SAP, but I'd settle for just SJU.

But seeing as SJU is a 100% domestic flight, I'm not really sure what the relevance here is.

It is domestic. I'm staying I would rather that than any INTL to SAP or others.

SunsetLimited

Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:44 pm

SJU is a longshot on NK. G4 was expanding out of SJU, they even added SJU-PIT and RDU, but those have been quietly discontinued. I always assumed B6 was our best chance at SJU service but I think that ship has sailed. Too far of a flight with not a huge amount of O&D and it would undoubtedly be low yield.
Spread hope like fire.

msycajun

Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:30 pm

I thought G4 to SJU would have been possible, but after the hurricane, I don't see it happening. As for NK, I think MBJ and PUJ are possibilities in addition to SAP and CUN. They had a sort of international focus city at IAH a few years ago (only CUN and SAP remain), so I think international at MSY is not out of the question - at least they would have monopolies on everything except CUN.

LAX772LR

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:19 am

msycajun wrote:
but after the hurricane, I don't see it happening.

:checkmark: :checkmark:

SJU's is basically us circa 2006. They're likely going to spend the next half-decade or more clawing back the service that they previously had, much less trying "new" markets.

DJSNOLA

Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:43 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
msycajun wrote:
but after the hurricane, I don't see it happening.

:checkmark: :checkmark:

SJU's is basically us circa 2006. They're likely going to spend the next half-decade or more clawing back the service that they previously had, much less trying "new" markets.

yeah cant think of a better analogy than that.. i suppose it is possible though if spirit decides to expand there

msyflyer

Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:18 pm

The new aerial looks quite good. Terminal A is much longer than I realized.

superjeff

Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:45 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:

Maybe it is a bit better now than it was, but Pre-Check is much easier and faster. All you get with Clear is a faster way into the regular security screening area (i.e., the initial line may be a bit shorter). I wouldn't waste my money.

Nola

Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:13 pm

superjeff wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:

Maybe it is a bit better now than it was, but Pre-Check is much easier and faster. All you get with Clear is a faster way into the regular security screening area (i.e., the initial line may be a bit shorter). I wouldn't waste my money.

Clear also provides faster access to Pre-Check lines, at least in three or four airports I've used it. It saved me from a long pre-check line in JFK a few weeks ago.

NolaMD88fan

Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:19 pm

msyflyer wrote:

Lots of progress in the last month.

SunsetLimited

Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:20 pm

F9 is adding twice weekly nonstop service between MSY and RDU in April. Mo/Fr service on an A320. A strong add, IMO, that will be more successful than ISP and PVD.

Here's what the MSY-RDU market will look like come April...

G4: 2x weekly / Thu, Sun / MD-80
F9: 2x weekly / Mon, Fri / A320
WN: 2x weeklly/ Fri, Sun / B73G
Spread hope like fire.

msycajun

Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:26 pm

Still surprising to me that neither WN nor DL will do a daily MSY-RDU this spring. At about 140 PDEW 2Q17 it seems like it should be able to support a daily 737/717.

SunsetLimited

Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:31 pm

Also it's interesting to see the growth of ULCC's in MSY. Service to 30 unique airports.

NK is clearly the leader, with up to 19 daily departures, but both F9 and NK offer ULCC service to important markets in their own right.

G4: CLE, LCK, IND, CVG, PIT, USA, RDU, SFB, PIE
F9: AUS, SAT, DEN, PHL, MCO, RDU
NK: ATL, DFW, IAH, TPA, FLL, MCO, BWI, ACY, BOS, EWR, CLE, CMH, DTW, ORD, MSP, LAS, LAX
Spread hope like fire.

msycajun

Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:24 pm

Looking at the F9 schedule (which might not be completely reliable at this point):
DEN remains at 3 weekly
PHL increases to 5 weekly MWFSS
SAT decreases from 4 to 2 weekly MF
AUS remains at 3 weekly although shifts to SuThSa
RDU MF
MCO down to 5 weekly from daily

msycajun

Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:21 pm

View of the NT drop-off area:

Kyoya

Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:07 pm

Here's a virtual tour of a few parts of the North Terminal.

http://estudio.systems/pano/msy/tour.html

NolaMD88fan

Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:41 pm

Kyoya wrote:
Here's a virtual tour of a few parts of the North Terminal.

http://estudio.systems/pano/msy/tour.html

Very nice find!

DJSNOLA

Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:13 pm

I really cant wait for the new airport to be open.. will be such an improved experience from the one today... but is it just me or does it seem like they will really need to speed up to make the feb 2019 date? I guess im not familiar with how quickly buildouts can happen but they need to at least give the tenants a few months to do there buildouts and training as well ... so the space should be handed over probably around thanksgiving to allow tenant buildouts and training in time for a feb 2019 debut? holidays make that a little tougher too.. just wondering what you guys think about the feasability of the current timeline and im not even really considering terminal a and the stage its at

msyflyer

Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:02 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
I really cant wait for the new airport to be open.. will be such an improved experience from the one today... but is it just me or does it seem like they will really need to speed up to make the feb 2019 date? I guess im not familiar with how quickly buildouts can happen but they need to at least give the tenants a few months to do there buildouts and training as well ... so the space should be handed over probably around thanksgiving to allow tenant buildouts and training in time for a feb 2019 debut? holidays make that a little tougher too.. just wondering what you guys think about the feasability of the current timeline and im not even really considering terminal a and the stage its at

In my opinion, if the speed of the past month is in indication then they will be fine. This was the the most drastic change I've seen in the progress. I'm waiting for this month's aerial to see if we see same amount of progress as January.

william

Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:20 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
msyflyer wrote:

Lots of progress in the last month.

So the apron gets two layers of concrete?

william

Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:44 pm

Why did they shut down this concourse, I believe it was A. I thought MSY was having a gate shortage.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9838031 ... a=!3m1!1e3

jbs2886

Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:59 pm

william wrote:
Why did they shut down this concourse, I believe it was A. I thought MSY was having a gate shortage.

They aren't...the new terminal actually has fewer gates.

Nola

Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:40 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
william wrote:

They aren't...the new terminal actually has fewer gates.

The A concourse at the South Terminal has been closed for a few years. NW consolidated in D with Delta and US Air took over the old Continental gates at the end of B. Now, of course, all former US flying is done at C with AA.

There are some shortages for early morning departures, with DL using C for certain flights, but other than that there seem to be enough gates at the current set up.

msycajun

Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:19 pm

Not much for MSY in the WN extension as far as I can tell. LAX does go to 3 daily which is the most they've done on that route IIRC. 8 total to LAX is pretty decent.

DJSNOLA

Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:29 pm

william wrote:

A terminal is not feasible for many reasonse... it had like 3-4 gates and was atrocious to fly out of post 9/11.. there were no amenities .. i am not even sure there was a bathroom back there... it has been used for movie shoots alot though

donindc

Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:50 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
william wrote:

A terminal is not feasible for many reasonse... it had like 3-4 gates and was atrocious to fly out of post 9/11.. there were no amenities .. i am not even sure there was a bathroom back there... it has been used for movie shoots alot though

Concourse A was no palace, but of course there were bathrooms! Not sure if you were joking about that. It was originally built for 8 gates, although I don't think gate 2 ever had a jetbridge. In later years, the 2 boarding areas across from the NW gates (gates 2 & 4 I think) were converted to a restaurant. There were also other food/news stand vendors on the concourse. The last couple of years it was open there were only 5 gates in use (2 for NW and 3 for US).

william

Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:10 pm

donindc wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:
william wrote:

Concourse A was no palace, but of course there were bathrooms! Not sure if you were joking about that. It was originally built for 8 gates, although I don't think gate 2 ever had a jetbridge. In later years, the 2 boarding areas across from the NW gates (gates 2 & 4 I think) were converted to a restaurant. There were also other food/news stand vendors on the concourse. The last couple of years it was open there were only 5 gates in use (2 for NW and 3 for US).

Thanks, when I lived in NOLA, I remember seeing USAirways A320s and A319s at that concourse. Wasn't CO in B where SWA is?

donindc

Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:48 pm

william wrote:

Thanks, when I lived in NOLA, I remember seeing USAirways A320s and A319s at that concourse. Wasn't CO in B where SWA is?

CO bounced around to different gates on B during the 90s but settled at the end of B for several years prior to the UA merger. I think they had 3 or maybe 4 gates on B. After CO left to move in with UA on D, and after A closed, US took over the end of B.

DJSNOLA

Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:49 pm

donindc wrote:
william wrote:

CO bounced around to different gates on B during the 90s but settled at the end of B for several years prior to the UA merger. I think they had 3 or maybe 4 gates on B. After CO left to move in with UA on D, and after A closed, US took over the end of B.

well when i last flew out of a there was literally one like hotdog stand it was ridiculous

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos