VS4ever

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:24 pm

DobboDobbo wrote:
33lspotter wrote:
DobboDobbo wrote:
It'll be interesting to see how MT and VS plays out at MAN-BOS. Overall weekly rotations few about right at 4/5, but it's not quite the same as having a service 5 days of the week! Perhaps one of them will get the upper hand or the market will grow to permit additional rotations from S19.

Getting the route to either a longer season or year round will also be a big step forward!

Certainly seems that MT has had the upper hand in terms of loads thus far, as I remember that the one month I saw had MT at 89% and VS at 60%. I think that a factor may be that -- while VS has long been associated with LHR from BOS -- MT, at least to BOS folks, would be better known as the "MAN" carrier. And with relatives in Lancashire who took MT to BOS in June, there's my anecdotal data!

Do you know if BOS offers a detailed breakdown of passengers by airline? I know IAH does (for example) and, if BOS breaks down in the same way it might be possible to work out loads for VS and MT.

Massport do not, but our friends at the DOT do... which I collate monthly, although they are 6 months behind. Although as iyerhari indicates we are trying to get newer data, but they are reluctant to give it out. Not sure why, given what other airports release on a monthly basis, but thems the rules and honestly we have to work within that so that if we do ask for info, they are willing to provide it. They certainly know I for example create a lot with it and from the T-100's here's the relevant section of my site that has access to the European numbers from T-100 to BOS. http://awhitelocks.wixsite.com/newengla ... ernational
basically on the numbers i've seen in terms of butts on seats. MT is kicking VS heavily. especially as they are using the seat heavy 332's (322 seats, compared with VS's 264), MT currently averaging 73%, although specific months have been higher. VS are in the mid 50%.s

None of this speaks to yield of course so VS could be having the same thing as DL on BOS-LHR, lower loads but full J to compensate, or MT could just be kicking their $$$ all the way around. MT's fleet is pretty maxed out, but I got to think they have to be looking at a frequency increase in 19 if they can, to deliver the knock out blow to VS. It really doesn't need 2 carriers on the route.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

NickolayAv

Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:38 pm

georgiabill wrote:
Any rumors of any new airline starting service at BOS in 2018. Still hoping to see either KE fly ICN-BOS-ICN or CI/BR fly TPE-BOS-TPE. I think KE is the most likely to commence service from BOS. IF EK was to restore 2nd daily flight to BOS do you think they would consider flying DXB-ATH-BOS-ATH-DXB or DXB-MXP-BOS-MXP-DXB assuming they could obtain fifth freedom rights? Assuming EK could obtain fifth freedom rights could possibly make 2nd daily flight viable to DXB while serving a new destination from BOS. Perhaps split ATH-BOS-ATH 3x and MXP-BOS-MXP 4x.
Any news on AV and flights SJO-BOS-SJO? Has this route been confirmed yet? If so is this service daily?

To answer briefly none of those have been announced. I believe KE ICN-BOS-ICN will be announced this year with the DL JV and KE getting 787s it's only a matter of time. TPE-BOS-TPE would be the next logical route to be announced after ICN, but it's still a long time. I can see EK upgauging to A380 or add another 777, I think it's just when not if it happens, but they probably would like to slightly better load factors before they will increase capacity. The DEFINITELY will not do just an A380 with a stop with a fifth freedom right because they will lose a lot of traffic to India. Maybe a 2nd 777 flight with a stopover. As for AV I do not see them announcing SJO, in the Avianca catalog they have mentioned that they intend to start flights from SAL to BOS, but no formal announcement has been made at this time. As for SJO I think B6 or Volaris Costa Rica (don't know their airline code) is more likely to start that route, probably seasonally.
"If you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline"-Richard Branson

DobboDobbo

Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:01 pm

VS4ever wrote:
DobboDobbo wrote:
33lspotter wrote:

Certainly seems that MT has had the upper hand in terms of loads thus far, as I remember that the one month I saw had MT at 89% and VS at 60%. I think that a factor may be that -- while VS has long been associated with LHR from BOS -- MT, at least to BOS folks, would be better known as the "MAN" carrier. And with relatives in Lancashire who took MT to BOS in June, there's my anecdotal data!

Do you know if BOS offers a detailed breakdown of passengers by airline? I know IAH does (for example) and, if BOS breaks down in the same way it might be possible to work out loads for VS and MT.

Massport do not, but our friends at the DOT do... which I collate monthly, although they are 6 months behind. Although as iyerhari indicates we are trying to get newer data, but they are reluctant to give it out. Not sure why, given what other airports release on a monthly basis, but thems the rules and honestly we have to work within that so that if we do ask for info, they are willing to provide it. They certainly know I for example create a lot with it and from the T-100's here's the relevant section of my site that has access to the European numbers from T-100 to BOS. http://awhitelocks.wixsite.com/newengla ... ernational
basically on the numbers i've seen in terms of butts on seats. MT is kicking VS heavily. especially as they are using the seat heavy 332's (322 seats, compared with VS's 264), MT currently averaging 73%, although specific months have been higher. VS are in the mid 50%.s

None of this speaks to yield of course so VS could be having the same thing as DL on BOS-LHR, lower loads but full J to compensate, or MT could just be kicking their $$$ all the way around. MT's fleet is pretty maxed out, but I got to think they have to be looking at a frequency increase in 19 if they can, to deliver the knock out blow to VS. It really doesn't need 2 carriers on the route.

Thank you!

I'll have to take a look on a desktop when I can. I'd say MAN - BOS should be capable of supporting one carrier at 4/5 weekly all year, with a seasonal increase to daily on an A330 sized aircraft. Whether that is VS or MT remains to be seen.

VS now have an A332 aircraft that they can configure to compete with MT, so perhaps they will pull back in S18. They really need 4x weekly to make scheduling attractive - 2/3x weekly is not enough.

FGITD

Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:59 pm

For those interested, the S4 A321 is supposed to come in tomorrow for the first time

33lspotter

Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:46 am

FGITD wrote:
For those interested, the S4 A321 is supposed to come in tomorrow for the first time

Just about to board B6987 at the gate adjacent to the S4 A310, so I guess it got delayed (at least) one more night!

VS4ever

Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:57 am

33lspotter wrote:
FGITD wrote:

Just about to board B6987 at the gate adjacent to the S4 A310, so I guess it got delayed (at least) one more night!

Safe Travels!
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

FGITD

Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:00 am

33lspotter wrote:
FGITD wrote:

Actually the 321 did come in. Was parked at e6 and appears to be overnighting for some reason

jcarv

Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:11 am

S4 321 departs 0300

33lspotter

Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:39 am

FGITD wrote:
Actually the 321 did come in. Was parked at e6 and appears to be overnighting for some reason

Interesting...I passed by E6 (I had some extra time, so figured I’d take a look to see if I could find the 321) and I believe the Qatar A359 was there. Looked at FlightAware and didn’t see anything other than S43282 (A310). Perhaps I was early or just missed it.

VS4ever wrote:
Safe Travels!

Cheers!

LH423

Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:57 am

There were two S4 arrivals today; one from TER (the A310 you saw) and one from PDL (the A321neo).

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

jsteeves3

Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:31 pm

Could India be a viable destination for BOS in the near future? If so, Al with 788?

VS4ever

Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:39 pm

jsteeves3 wrote:
Could India be a viable destination for BOS in the near future? If so, Al with 788?

We believe that’s on the holy grail list for Massport. AI would probably be the ones to do it if it happened.

iyerhari

Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:59 pm

Massport has indicated in the past decks that India continues to be their long cherished route but airline is the issue. AI has been adding routes to Star hubs - EWR, IAD, SFO, ORD. JFK is a different discussion. I do not foresee AI to be coming to BOS due to other priorities- but who knows!

airbazar

Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:24 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
With all the growth over the last couple of years, is anything being done to alleviate the TSA bottleneck at Terminal E?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that expanding TSA and CBP was included in the project that built the A380 gates, which is still in progress. The initial plan that I looked at, removed the restaurant and retail stores adjacent to the TSA checkpoints in order to make room for expanded screening lanes. Is that not happening anymore?

NickolayAv

Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:50 pm

airbazar wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
With all the growth over the last couple of years, is anything being done to alleviate the TSA bottleneck at Terminal E?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that expanding TSA and CBP was included in the project that built the A380 gates, which is still in progress. The initial plan that I looked at, removed the restaurant and retail stores adjacent to the TSA checkpoints in order to make room for expanded screening lanes. Is that not happening anymore?

From what I understand the TSA and CBP were slightly expanded during the construction of the A380 gates, that project is now over. Now, they are hoping to start Terminal E Modernization where they will build new gates and add a 2nd CBP and TSA checkpoint. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Go here for the info on A380 gate construction: http://www.airport-technology.com/proje ... n-airport/
Go here for Terminal E Modernization info: https://www.massport.com/media/2245/tem ... mpiled.pdf
"If you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline"-Richard Branson

FGITD

Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:05 pm

NickolayAv wrote:
airbazar wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

From what I understand the TSA and CBP were slightly expanded during the construction of the A380 gates, that project is now over. Now, they are hoping to start Terminal E Modernization where they will build new gates and add a 2nd CBP and TSA checkpoint. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Go here for the info on A380 gate construction: http://www.airport-technology.com/proje ... n-airport/
Go here for Terminal E Modernization info: https://www.massport.com/media/2245/tem ... mpiled.pdf

CBP hasn't really expanded much. Better waiting space but that's about it. TSA is the same. New checkpoint by the terminal C connector, but that's about it. As it is, that connector TSA checkpoint is the best kept secret in the terminal. Haven't ever seen more than a 5-10 minute wait there

NickolayAv

Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:03 pm

I recently noticed that I haven't seen Alitalia flying to Boston recently, I couldn't find their flights on their site and on Flightaware. Has the flight not been operating recently and why or have I just been looking in the wrong places?

NickolayAv

Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:11 pm

FGITD wrote:
NickolayAv wrote:
I recently noticed that I haven't seen Alitalia flying to Boston recently, I couldn't find their flights on their site and on Flightaware. Has the flight not been operating recently and why or have I just been looking in the wrong places?

Alitalia traditionally takes a winter break, usually from early January to March. They resume with an early departure time, then once summer hits they go back to the late night departure.

Ok, thanks. I for some reason always thought it was a year-round destination.

FGITD

Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:12 pm

NickolayAv wrote:

Alitalia traditionally takes a winter break, usually from early January to March. They resume with an early departure time, then once summer hits they go back to the late night departure.

airbazar

Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:11 pm

FGITD wrote:
CBP hasn't really expanded much. Better waiting space but that's about it. TSA is the same. New checkpoint by the terminal C connector, but that's about it. As it is, that connector TSA checkpoint is the best kept secret in the terminal. Haven't ever seen more than a 5-10 minute wait there

I guess they scraped the TSA and CBP expansions. I had the original document from Massport, bookmarked but it's no longer available:
https://www.massport.com/media/337677/T ... signed.pdf
However I can still find the drawings on google images:
http://i.imgur.com/BIfpbVc.png
You can see it in the drawing that the pre-security concessions are gone and the TSA area is expanded.

NickolayAv

Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:22 pm

airbazar wrote:
FGITD wrote:

I guess they scraped the TSA and CBP expansions. I had the original document from Massport, bookmarked but it's no longer available:
You can see it in the drawing that the pre-security concessions are gone and the TSA area is expanded.

So I guess the next time TSA and CBP will be expanded is when terminal E is expanded.

mats01776

Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:50 pm

airbazar wrote:

The document is still there under a different URL:
https://www.massport.com/media/2247/ter ... signed.pdf

VS4ever

Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:58 am

With the conversation about CBP and bottlenecks, I think it's an opportune moment to note that the CBP actually reports out daily (in hourly increments no less), their actual performance on throughput, booths used and wait times. I've consolidated the data back to 2014 into a new report for you guys to look at. With it being Jan 18, it's better to focus on the rolling numbers and i've done that through my blog post with a link to the updated report.
http://awhitelocks.wixsite.com/newengla ... ing-update, without giving the game away totally, the general trend is faster processing of more people with less booths. Sure there are definitely bottle necks at the very peak times and that will become very evident as the data forms for 2018, but again the rolling trend is downwards.

Upshot is, while we all believe additional capacity and space, CBP will probably feel that they have a much better handle on it than they did a couple of years ago, when they were ill prepared for what the massive expansion of International Travel would do to the numbers coming through their systems. While it will continue to be a challenge, with the trend the way it is, I think they will feel comfortable with the progress they are making right now, we just hope it continues.

airbazar

Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:47 pm

VS4ever wrote:
Upshot is, while we all believe additional capacity and space, CBP will probably feel that they have a much better handle on it than they did a couple of years ago, when they were ill prepared for what the massive expansion of International Travel would do to the numbers coming through their systems. While it will continue to be a challenge, with the trend the way it is, I think they will feel comfortable with the progress they are making right now, we just hope it continues.

I like the new automated machines but its efficiency still pales in comparison to the ePassport gates that exist in Europe where you don't even have to see or talk to a human being when entering the EU.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXz7dJlMA-Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UeyEGQbS88

NickolayAv

Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:05 pm

Interesting, in the Sichuan Airlines ordering A350 thread, it says one of the destinations they are considering adding is Boston.
http://sichuan.scol.com.cn/ggxw/201802/56079848.html

iyerhari

Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:40 pm

clrd4t8koff

Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:00 pm

iyerhari wrote:

First link says they’re opening flights to BOS in May. They’ve done no marketing in BOS that I’ve seen. Are the flights even for sale?

VS4ever

Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:05 pm

iyerhari wrote:

Well Well Well, we have known for a while Asia needed something additional from BOS, but of course we are all thinking ICN. The reason why it's CTU in this case is partially down to the limited frequencies allowed and carrier limits. With HU holding PEK and PVG, they can't do those, so CTU is next, although a 350 is a lot of plane to fill even 3 weekly, and i am surprised Massport hasn't put out the banners yet. If this starts in May, it's being made very quietly under the radar because there's been nothing about this at all. I am not convinced this will start in 18, maybe 19 and hopefully they can get a good deal by using timings similar to CX and keep out of the main peak times of the European airlines.
I'm impressed this one is even being considered to be honest. But I'll take it purely from a personal point of view because, hey, it's a new route and a new airline for BOS, and what's not to like about that.

NickolayAv

Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:22 pm

iyerhari wrote:

Use Googles translate option to translate the site.

NickolayAv

Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:23 pm

VS4ever wrote:
iyerhari wrote:

Well Well Well, we have known for a while Asia needed something additional from BOS, but of course we are all thinking ICN. The reason why it's CTU in this case is partially down to the limited frequencies allowed and carrier limits. With HU holding PEK and PVG, they can't do those, so CTU is next, although a 350 is a lot of plane to fill even 3 weekly, and i am surprised Massport hasn't put out the banners yet. If this starts in May, it's being made very quietly under the radar because there's been nothing about this at all. I am not convinced this will start in 18, maybe 19 and hopefully they can get a good deal by using timings similar to CX and keep out of the main peak times of the European airlines.
I'm impressed this one is even being considered to be honest. But I'll take it purely from a personal point of view because, hey, it's a new route and a new airline for BOS, and what's not to like about that.

On their website it says this isn't an official announcement, they just said they are interested in adding the route, it could just be an empty promise like a bunch of other airlines.

chrisnh

Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:25 pm

It appears that AF is sticking with the 787-9 well into June, and I’m not clear that it is paired with a second daily during this time. To me it says that they are hemorrhaging traffic to others, to the surprise of no one.

adamh8297

Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:29 pm

VS4ever wrote:
iyerhari wrote:

They filed CTU-ZRH with two months notice... this may be coming soon. https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... arch-2018/

EDIT: How did all of us miss this since some of these articles have been posted since December!!!!!!
Last edited by adamh8297 on Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CO, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WN

2018 Flights: B6 BOS-BGI-BOS, WN BOS-MDW-BOS, B6 BOS-PDX-BOS

VS4ever

Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:32 pm

chrisnh wrote:
It appears that AF is sticking with the 787-9 well into June, and I’m not clear that it is paired with a second daily during this time. To me it says that they are hemorrhaging traffic to others, to the surprise of no one.

Google flights has the 2nd daily returning June 18th, right now, how accurate that is, I am not sure, but the week before it's not there and after that point it is.

and here's the confirm that 6/18 is the right date to move to double daily.
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... t-changes/
Last edited by VS4ever on Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NickolayAv

Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:34 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
chrisnh wrote:

Its only a difference of 20 seats with the 789 and the J heavy 77W... so I wouldn't call it hemorrhaging quite yet.

If they don't add the second daily, then they are hemorrhaging traffic, especially with the additions of 2 new airlines on the route. I was expecting AF to add more capacity to weaken another carrier, probably PF.

adamh8297

Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:35 pm

chrisnh wrote:

Its only a difference of 20 seats with the 789 and the J heavy 77W... so I wouldn't call it hemorrhaging quite yet.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CO, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WN

FGITD

Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:38 pm

chrisnh wrote:

Rather than upgauge from 789 to 772 in March, then add the second daily in June, it appears this year the switch will take place simultaneously. 789 to 777 and a332 in one day. If it's a 77w that day, that's a huge jump to make in one day.

Interesting to note that the second flight will be daily rather than 6x weekly like last year.

NickolayAv

Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:39 pm

Is it known when TACV will be changing to fly to Sal, because I know that was their plan, but I don't know when? And will they discontinue Praia-BOS when they do switch to Sal?

chrisnh

Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:51 pm

I wasn’t aware that the gap in seat counts between the two was that slim, so thank you! On the other hand, all the discussions about A380s at Logan suggested that AF would be one of around three carriers to use it. It is pretty amazing how the landscape has changed.

FGITD

Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:06 pm

chrisnh wrote:
I wasn’t aware that the gap in seat counts between the two was that slow m, so thank you! On the other hand, all the discussions about A380s at Logan suggested that AF would be one of around three carriers to use it. It is pretty amazing how the landscape has changed.

Main issue there is that AF doesn't operate the J heavy 77w into Boston on a regular basis.

789 is 30/21/225

772 is 40/24/216 OR 28/24/260

77w is 42/24/315

so it'll be quite the jump actually. But keep in mind, they used to go from a 772 to a 744 and 332 daily, so it's really not so unusual.

adamh8297

Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:17 pm

FGITD wrote:
chrisnh wrote:
I wasn’t aware that the gap in seat counts between the two was that slow m, so thank you! On the other hand, all the discussions about A380s at Logan suggested that AF would be one of around three carriers to use it. It is pretty amazing how the landscape has changed.

Main issue there is that AF doesn't operate the J heavy 77w into Boston on a regular basis.

789 is 30/21/225

77w is 42/24/315

so it'll be quite the jump actually. But keep in mind, they used to go from a 772 to a 744 and 332 daily, so it's really not so unusual.

Are there different days of the week for the J-Heavy 77W? I went to seatguru put in 7/6 and got that version.

FGITD

Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:45 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
FGITD wrote:
chrisnh wrote:

789 is 30/21/225

77w is 42/24/315

Are there different days of the week for the J-Heavy 77W? I went to seatguru put in 7/6 and got that version.

To my knowledge, no. I believe the business heavy 77W also have first class, which I know isn't offered out of Boston.

jcarv

Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:54 pm

TACV should switch to Sal about May 1. Praia will go away and there will be a single hub for TACV

adamh8297

Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:53 pm

chrisnh wrote:
I wasn’t aware that the gap in seat counts between the two was that slim, so thank you! On the other hand, all the discussions about A380s at Logan suggested that AF would be one of around three carriers to use it. It is pretty amazing how the landscape has changed.

I stand corrected did a dummy booking and its the 381 seat 77W. Not trusting seatguru anymore.

100 seats a day for a month or two is a decent size. I have noticed a softness in CDG prices on the SkyTeam JV...

chrisnh

Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:35 pm

I have been hearing a little about some unknown (to me, anyway) Chinese airline planning to fly to Boston starting this May using A350s presumably. Is this a real thing?

VS4ever

Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:43 pm

chrisnh wrote:
I have been hearing a little about some unknown (to me, anyway) Chinese airline planning to fly to Boston starting this May using A350s presumably. Is this a real thing?

Sichuan airlines had reported BOS as one of their new destinations with the A350, it's a little tight, but as adam pointed out in a different thread, they announced ZRH with about 2 months notice. Apparently the route would be BOS-CTU, 3 weekly.

adamh8297

Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:18 pm

VS4ever wrote:
chrisnh wrote:

Sichuan airlines had reported BOS as one of their new destinations with the A350, it's a little tight, but as adam pointed out in a different thread, they announced ZRH with about 2 months notice. Apparently the route would be BOS-CTU, 3 weekly.

Did more research on this. Some strange stuff going on with A350 and CAAC in China... its not approved for Chinese airlines but others can fly into China with it right now. It looks like Sichuan does have 3 early built A350's in Toulouse which were originally for Sri Lankan airlines.

Also I thought Sichuan would have to apply with DOT as well for any new USA route.

NickolayAv

Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:50 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
chrisnh wrote:

Did more research on this. Some strange stuff going on with A350 and CAAC in China... its not approved for Chinese airlines but others can fly into China with it right now. It looks like Sichuan does have 3 early built A350's in Toulouse which were originally for Sri Lankan airlines.

Also I thought Sichuan would have to apply with DOT as well for any new USA route.

Is it known when A350 will be approved for Chinese airlines.

adamh8297

Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:37 pm

NickolayAv wrote:
adamh8297 wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

Is it known when A350 will be approved for Chinese airlines.

From the Sichuan airlines A350 thread - maybe this month???

Also you could see where the A350's production log stands here https://sites.google.com/site/a350xwbpr ... ction-list
The Sichuan A350's are somewhat early build (50's out of almost 200 built)

clrd4t8koff

Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:03 pm

Flying out of BOS this morning and just saw the morning BA BOS-LHR depart. Was a 744, though I know they’ve operated the 772 & 789 as well. How does this flight do overall for loads? Does the fact it’s a 744 in winter mean it’s typically a busy flight?

chrisnh

Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:11 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
Flying out of BOS this morning and just saw the morning BA BOS-LHR depart. Was a 744, though I know they’ve operated the 772 & 789 as well. How does this flight do overall for loads? Does the fact it’s a 744 in winter mean it’s typically a busy flight?

I've been on that morning flight three times, during the off season, twice in a 777 and once on the 787-9. In all cases the flights were only a little over half-full. A 744 on this rotation is a head-scratcher to me, but I'm just an observer with a few data points. Maybe the inbound to Boston the night before is why they need it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos