• 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 24
 
User avatar
adamh8297
Posts: 2768
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:24 pm

VS4ever wrote:
Of the list above. B6’s numbers rolling 12 months to July 17
SJU- 309,647 but will start dropping big time after September
BGI- 15,234
BDA- 30,267 (although I think DL do fly this)
STI- 60,201
GCM- 6,260
LIR- 5,799
PAP- 15,052
POP- 6,343

SJU, PAP, BDA and BDI are up over prior period the rest are down. STT is flown by DL


Add UVF and SXM (cancelled this winter but should comeback November 2018) as Caribbean markets B6 has to itself.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CO, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WN

2018 Flights: B6 BOS-BGI-BOS, WN BOS-MDW-BOS, B6 BOS-PDX-BOS
 
iyerhari
Posts: 732
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:49 pm

AMZN shortlist of 20 cities out of 238 proposals. https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compani ... spartanntp

Official word from AMZN and our dear Boston is there! So all the negative proposal from NH made no difference to even get them shortlisted :)
 
atav
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:11 am

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:00 pm

NickolayAv wrote:
Today is the last S4 A310 flight from BOS, going to miss seeing such an old plane.


I flew KBOS-KLGA a few days ago on the 16th and there was a SATA Internacional A310 sitting at gate E3!
 
bagoldex
Posts: 713
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:33 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:14 pm

iyerhari wrote:
AMZN shortlist of 20 cities out of 238 proposals. https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compani ... spartanntp

Official word from AMZN and our dear Boston is there! So all the negative proposal from NH made no difference to even get them shortlisted :)


The ten realistic options plus a bit of flyover country for good press.
 
User avatar
NickolayAv
Posts: 278
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:44 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:16 pm

atav wrote:
NickolayAv wrote:
Today is the last S4 A310 flight from BOS, going to miss seeing such an old plane.


I flew KBOS-KLGA a few days ago on the 16th and there was a SATA Internacional A310 sitting at gate E3!

That was the scheduled last day, but due to some reason, they have been flying to BOS this entire week and still haven't brought the A321.
"If you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline"-Richard Branson
 
FGITD
Posts: 290
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:22 pm

NickolayAv wrote:
atav wrote:
NickolayAv wrote:
Today is the last S4 A310 flight from BOS, going to miss seeing such an old plane.


I flew KBOS-KLGA a few days ago on the 16th and there was a SATA Internacional A310 sitting at gate E3!

That was the scheduled last day, but due to some reason, they have been flying to BOS this entire week and still haven't brought the A321.


I've been hearing January 22 as the introduction of the 321. Not entirely sure why it's delayed.

It's nice to see an A310 but trust me, those planes are ready for a rest
 
jcarv
Posts: 325
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:11 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:48 pm

Won’t see the S4 A321 in January now. Delayed. I’d imagine certifications or paperwork to be on their AOC perhaps
 
User avatar
NickolayAv
Posts: 278
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:44 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:05 am

FGITD wrote:
NickolayAv wrote:
atav wrote:

I flew KBOS-KLGA a few days ago on the 16th and there was a SATA Internacional A310 sitting at gate E3!

That was the scheduled last day, but due to some reason, they have been flying to BOS this entire week and still haven't brought the A321.


I've been hearing January 22 as the introduction of the 321. Not entirely sure why it's delayed.

It's nice to see an A310 but trust me, those planes are ready for a rest

Those planes won't get rest, I believe FedEx bought them out, so they will still fly for some time.
"If you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline"-Richard Branson
 
FGITD
Posts: 290
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:31 am

Didn't see it anywhere else, but DL119 CDG-BOS diverted to Goose Bay earlier this afternoon. Expected into Boston around
11pm instead of 1230 as normally scheduled.

Long day for those pax...
 
User avatar
Dieuwer
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:32 am

Surprised JetBlue has not yet commenced any TATL routes.... I think time is running out for them as Norwegian is picking all the low hanging fruits.
That said, I selfishly hope Norwegian starts BOS-AMS...
 
airbazar
Posts: 8558
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:13 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
Surprised JetBlue has not yet commenced any TATL routes.... I think time is running out for them as Norwegian is picking all the low hanging fruits.
That said, I selfishly hope Norwegian starts BOS-AMS...

I'm not sure the two carriers are mutually exclusive. B6 operates and has entered crowded markets before, from BOS. The TATL market from the U.S. and from BOS in particular is large enough for B6 to join in. B6 also has something DY doesn't have: A huge hub in BOS. I think that DL's expansion in BOS poses a much larger barrier to B6 than DY does.
 
hinckley
Posts: 398
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:53 am

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:53 pm

airbazar wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
Surprised JetBlue has not yet commenced any TATL routes.... I think time is running out for them as Norwegian is picking all the low hanging fruits.


I'm not sure the two carriers are mutually exclusive.


Ya, I agree. I wouldn't be surprised if B6 starts its TATL service from BOS before JFK. It has a very loyal customer base and much less competition there. And BOS is an affluent market that can easily fill the small-ish Mint cabins.
 
B752OS
Posts: 922
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:05 am

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:04 pm

How can B6 add TATL flights before Massport finally gets the Terminal E expansion done?
 
User avatar
adamh8297
Posts: 2768
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:16 pm

OAG update: No UX refile. FI 4th frequency was some sort of misfile or schedule change.

S4 increasing BOS-PDL/TER again

PDL - is 9x weekly - no Wednesdays and one mid-morning departure which means early morning arrival from PDL
TER- is 4x weekly - one of the new frequencies is a mid-morning departure on Monday. The inbound flight for this comes from PDL not TER.


NK made frequency cuts for DFW/MSY/ATL for May.

hinckley wrote:
airbazar wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
Surprised JetBlue has not yet commenced any TATL routes.... I think time is running out for them as Norwegian is picking all the low hanging fruits.


I'm not sure the two carriers are mutually exclusive.


Ya, I agree. I wouldn't be surprised if B6 starts its TATL service from BOS before JFK. It has a very loyal customer base and much less competition there. And BOS is an affluent market that can easily fill the small-ish Mint cabins.


They have to make the A321neoLR order official first.

However, D8 choosing PVD was a gift to B6 if they choose to go transatlantic. With the USA feed B6 could easily pull off EDI from BOS and get MINT buyers up front.

I wonder if they wanted to be the first mover on STN too. Trains to Liverpool Station leave every 15 minutes from STN. Its not a horrible alternative to LGW or LHR. They have to do LON and PAR - would be cool to see BOS-ORY. BOS-British Isles/DUS/AMS/BRU/GVA/NCE are all other possibilities.

B6 needs to decide a couple other things - do they want to tick off or cooperate with their current partners (especially EI and FI) and/or make new ones (European LCC's? niche Euro carriers like Air Malta, Baltic Air, Aegean, Croatian?).
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CO, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WN

2018 Flights: B6 BOS-BGI-BOS, WN BOS-MDW-BOS, B6 BOS-PDX-BOS
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 1456
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:29 pm

hinckley wrote:
airbazar wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
Surprised JetBlue has not yet commenced any TATL routes.... I think time is running out for them as Norwegian is picking all the low hanging fruits.


I'm not sure the two carriers are mutually exclusive.


Ya, I agree. I wouldn't be surprised if B6 starts its TATL service from BOS before JFK. It has a very loyal customer base and much less competition there. And BOS is an affluent market that can easily fill the small-ish Mint cabins.


I would agree, to try and fight it out of the gate in JFK might be exceedingly tough given the much larger capacity going back and forth. At BOS, if/when they start it, it will give them a huge boost for their FF's now being able to offer TATL and Mint. It's the one clear advantage DL has out of BOS apart from the myriad of connections from ATL. Yes B6 have smartly partnered with many airlines offering European service and wider, but seeing what's happening on DUB last summer already in the number, there is clearly additional market there to be taken for a start.
DY is essentially down to 2 routes in 2018 with CDG and LGW, and won't send the MAX"s to BOS, so unless they decide to fight it out with Level from BCN or sneak in one of their new ideas, AMS (crying out for competition to DL) or MXP or even ORY (which i doubt), not sure they are going to do too much more with their new 787's. PF appear to have delivery issues, so BHX may not happen this year, so the market is still somewhat open for B6 to shoehorn in some TATL service, going into their potential LR deliveries in 2019, which I am not sure they have fully committed to yet, but will have to soon unless they are going to wait another year until 2020. The annual report in February and investor days, should give us an updated idea of their plans for all of this.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.
 
tphuang
Posts: 1475
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:46 pm

VS4ever wrote:
hinckley wrote:
airbazar wrote:

I'm not sure the two carriers are mutually exclusive.


Ya, I agree. I wouldn't be surprised if B6 starts its TATL service from BOS before JFK. It has a very loyal customer base and much less competition there. And BOS is an affluent market that can easily fill the small-ish Mint cabins.


I would agree, to try and fight it out of the gate in JFK might be exceedingly tough given the much larger capacity going back and forth. At BOS, if/when they start it, it will give them a huge boost for their FF's now being able to offer TATL and Mint. It's the one clear advantage DL has out of BOS apart from the myriad of connections from ATL. Yes B6 have smartly partnered with many airlines offering European service and wider, but seeing what's happening on DUB last summer already in the number, there is clearly additional market there to be taken for a start.
DY is essentially down to 2 routes in 2018 with CDG and LGW, and won't send the MAX"s to BOS, so unless they decide to fight it out with Level from BCN or sneak in one of their new ideas, AMS (crying out for competition to DL) or MXP or even ORY (which i doubt), not sure they are going to do too much more with their new 787's. PF appear to have delivery issues, so BHX may not happen this year, so the market is still somewhat open for B6 to shoehorn in some TATL service, going into their potential LR deliveries in 2019, which I am not sure they have fully committed to yet, but will have to soon unless they are going to wait another year until 2020. The annual report in February and investor days, should give us an updated idea of their plans for all of this.


I also agree that BOS will get TATL flights before JFK (in spite of my own NYC bias).

A couple of things BOS has over JFK:
1) It already functions as a TATL hub for B6 given all of its interlining, so there is no reason it can't add its own flights
2) While JFK has a few more destinations, BOS flies to more places that'd have Europe demand. Starting at BOS would allow them to sell flights from DTW/MSP/PHL/PIT/DCA/CLE to Europe. All places they don't fly to out of JFK.
3) While BOS is terribly located for domestic connections, it's perfectly located as a TATL hub. It's so well located, that they wouldn't even need A321LR to fly to Europe. Even A320NEO would be able to fly to DUB/LON/EDI. And with A321LR, they might even be able to reach BCN/MXP/NCE/ZRH. All routes they could support given domestic connections and A321 capacity.
4) B6 has more spaces to add at BOS and intend to grow it to 200 flights (maybe even more than that down the road), while its slot restricted at JFK. They have room to grow BOS into a TATL hub that can compete with DL at JFK, AA at PHL & UA at EWR. No way they can do that at JFK. Again, this is much further down the road, but there is at leas the possibility to do that.
5) DL is building up at BOS. While B6 should remain profitable at BOS even if DL builds up to 150 daily flights, it has to work on neutralizing advantages DL has. One of which is flying to Europe. Not only does B6 need to fly to Europe, it needs to find a strong non-aligned European partner (I'd say Easyjet is the most obvious partner). Another would be flying to more places in the middle of the country which DL can do via any of its fortress hubs, but B6 simply doesn't fly to.

At the end of they day, if several large corporate customer like Fidelity comes to B6 and say that they can't go exclusive with B6 until they start flying to London or Dublin, does B6 just keep resting on its butt waiting for DL to take those accounts? It really has to commit to flying to Europe this year.
 
iyerhari
Posts: 732
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:01 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
They have to make the A321neoLR order official first.

However, D8 choosing PVD was a gift to B6 if they choose to go transatlantic. With the USA feed B6 could easily pull off EDI from BOS and get MINT buyers up front.

I wonder if they wanted to be the first mover on STN too. Trains to Liverpool Station leave every 15 minutes from STN. Its not a horrible alternative to LGW or LHR. They have to do LON and PAR - would be cool to see BOS-ORY. BOS-British Isles/DUS/AMS/BRU/GVA/NCE are all other possibilities.

B6 needs to decide a couple other things - do they want to tick off or cooperate with their current partners (especially EI and FI) and/or make new ones (European LCC's? niche Euro carriers like Air Malta, Baltic Air, Aegean, Croatian?).

Pardon my ignorance but appreciate any insights. The furthest air miles flown by B6 I believe is BOS-LAX at 2611 miles; BOS-DUB air miles is 2993 miles which is only approx. 350 air miles more than BOS-LAX. Wouldn't the existing A321 that they use today not be used for just 350 more air miles? Or is it that sufficient contingency needs to be built when traveling TATL? Appreciate expert insights please.
 
User avatar
chrisnh
Posts: 3928
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 1999 3:59 am

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:31 pm

iyerhari wrote:
adamh8297 wrote:
They have to make the A321neoLR order official first.

However, D8 choosing PVD was a gift to B6 if they choose to go transatlantic. With the USA feed B6 could easily pull off EDI from BOS and get MINT buyers up front.

I wonder if they wanted to be the first mover on STN too. Trains to Liverpool Station leave every 15 minutes from STN. Its not a horrible alternative to LGW or LHR. They have to do LON and PAR - would be cool to see BOS-ORY. BOS-British Isles/DUS/AMS/BRU/GVA/NCE are all other possibilities.

B6 needs to decide a couple other things - do they want to tick off or cooperate with their current partners (especially EI and FI) and/or make new ones (European LCC's? niche Euro carriers like Air Malta, Baltic Air, Aegean, Croatian?).

Pardon my ignorance but appreciate any insights. The furthest air miles flown by B6 I believe is BOS-LAX at 2611 miles; BOS-DUB air miles is 2993 miles which is only approx. 350 air miles more than BOS-LAX. Wouldn't the existing A321 that they use today not be used for just 350 more air miles? Or is it that sufficient contingency needs to be built when traveling TATL? Appreciate expert insights please.


Maybe the ones they have aren’t ETOPS (and why would they need to be?).
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 1456
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:39 pm

chrisnh wrote:
iyerhari wrote:
adamh8297 wrote:
They have to make the A321neoLR order official first.

However, D8 choosing PVD was a gift to B6 if they choose to go transatlantic. With the USA feed B6 could easily pull off EDI from BOS and get MINT buyers up front.

I wonder if they wanted to be the first mover on STN too. Trains to Liverpool Station leave every 15 minutes from STN. Its not a horrible alternative to LGW or LHR. They have to do LON and PAR - would be cool to see BOS-ORY. BOS-British Isles/DUS/AMS/BRU/GVA/NCE are all other possibilities.

B6 needs to decide a couple other things - do they want to tick off or cooperate with their current partners (especially EI and FI) and/or make new ones (European LCC's? niche Euro carriers like Air Malta, Baltic Air, Aegean, Croatian?).

Pardon my ignorance but appreciate any insights. The furthest air miles flown by B6 I believe is BOS-LAX at 2611 miles; BOS-DUB air miles is 2993 miles which is only approx. 350 air miles more than BOS-LAX. Wouldn't the existing A321 that they use today not be used for just 350 more air miles? Or is it that sufficient contingency needs to be built when traveling TATL? Appreciate expert insights please.


Maybe the ones they have aren’t ETOPS (and why would they need to be?).


That was going to be my response. Yes you can send a 321 TATL without the LR, WW send theirs to MIA from KEF which is way longer and more heavily loaded than a standard B6 version, but if you don’t have ETOPS it’s not going to happen. But right now the existing 321’s are carrying the MINT load and trunking up and down the east for the all core versions. So they are happily making money with them that way for right now and they need them to compete and promote the MINT offering that appears so popular. The 19 deliveries will be key and I bet we find out the answer to our questions pretty soon.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.
 
B752OS
Posts: 922
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:05 am

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:57 am

Now that the Patriots are heading to Minneapolis, I wonder what kind of services increases BOS will see.
 
User avatar
adamh8297
Posts: 2768
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:20 am

B752OS wrote:
Now that the Patriots are heading to Minneapolis, I wonder what kind of services increases BOS will see.


B6 DL and maybe SY will add service. $1500-2000 Fri/Sat-Mon right now on Delta.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CO, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WN

2018 Flights: B6 BOS-BGI-BOS, WN BOS-MDW-BOS, B6 BOS-PDX-BOS
 
User avatar
N717TW
Posts: 432
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:24 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:10 am

B752OS wrote:
Now that the Patriots are heading to Minneapolis, I wonder what kind of services increases BOS will see.


You'll see a number of special frequencies and/or charters. DL has done 767 special charters the last few years to the superbowl out of Logan. I am sure both Sun Country and Delta rev mgmt folks are excited that the Eagles are destroying the Vikings. Hometown Super Bowl isn't great for the travel industry!
 
iyerhari
Posts: 732
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:16 am

It won’t be surprising for AA, UA and Southwest to run special flights. Last year AA ran special flights to IAH. Route managers must be working overtime to add four figure flights from BOS. PHL is anyways an AA hub.
 
airbazar
Posts: 8558
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:57 pm

B752OS wrote:
How can B6 add TATL flights before Massport finally gets the Terminal E expansion done?

Massport will bend over backwards to find room for B6 but one benefit is that like DL, B6 doesn't need terminal E for departures. Another possibility is pre-10am departures from Europe.
adamh8297 wrote:
S4 increasing BOS-PDL/TER again

PDL - is 9x weekly - no Wednesdays and one mid-morning departure which means early morning arrival from PDL
TER- is 4x weekly - one of the new frequencies is a mid-morning departure on Monday. The inbound flight for this comes from PDL not TER.

A mid-morning departure from Boston would arrive in the Azores in the evening, not early morning which if you ask me is a fantastic schedule if you're terminating in the Azores.

adamh8297 wrote:
They have to make the A321neoLR order official first.

That all depends on which markets they want to serve first. There are enough places in Europe that can be served from BOS with a standard A321NEO.
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?R=3100nm%40BOS&MS=wls&DU=nm
 
iyerhari
Posts: 732
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:04 pm

UA has added a nonstop direct flight from BOS-MSP starting Friday through Tuesday for Super Bowl. AA has still not yet added.
 
33lspotter
Posts: 424
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:37 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:05 pm

chrisnh wrote:
iyerhari wrote:
Pardon my ignorance but appreciate any insights. The furthest air miles flown by B6 I believe is BOS-LAX at 2611 miles; BOS-DUB air miles is 2993 miles which is only approx. 350 air miles more than BOS-LAX. Wouldn't the existing A321 that they use today not be used for just 350 more air miles? Or is it that sufficient contingency needs to be built when traveling TATL? Appreciate expert insights please.


Maybe the ones they have aren’t ETOPS (and why would they need to be?).


I would imagine ETOPS has something to do with it -- worth mentioning that a good number of B6 A321s flew XFW-PWM on their delivery flights, which is around 3,500 miles -- but those planes were empty aside from the ferry crew. I also imagine that westbound over the Atlantic is more demanding in terms of fuel than westbound over the U.S., particularly with a load of pax. A good number of a/c have the legs to get to Europe nonstop from the East Coast, but might encounter a large number of fuel diversions on the way back.
 
B752OS
Posts: 922
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:05 am

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:26 pm

iyerhari wrote:
UA has added a nonstop direct flight from BOS-MSP starting Friday through Tuesday for Super Bowl. AA has still not yet added.


Looks like BOS-MSP will be run with a 772 on Friday and Saturday. You can get a ticket for $1,048 - not too bad all things considered.
 
jetbluefan1
Posts: 3151
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:39 am

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:32 pm

tphuang wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
hinckley wrote:

Ya, I agree. I wouldn't be surprised if B6 starts its TATL service from BOS before JFK. It has a very loyal customer base and much less competition there. And BOS is an affluent market that can easily fill the small-ish Mint cabins.


I would agree, to try and fight it out of the gate in JFK might be exceedingly tough given the much larger capacity going back and forth. At BOS, if/when they start it, it will give them a huge boost for their FF's now being able to offer TATL and Mint. It's the one clear advantage DL has out of BOS apart from the myriad of connections from ATL. Yes B6 have smartly partnered with many airlines offering European service and wider, but seeing what's happening on DUB last summer already in the number, there is clearly additional market there to be taken for a start.
DY is essentially down to 2 routes in 2018 with CDG and LGW, and won't send the MAX"s to BOS, so unless they decide to fight it out with Level from BCN or sneak in one of their new ideas, AMS (crying out for competition to DL) or MXP or even ORY (which i doubt), not sure they are going to do too much more with their new 787's. PF appear to have delivery issues, so BHX may not happen this year, so the market is still somewhat open for B6 to shoehorn in some TATL service, going into their potential LR deliveries in 2019, which I am not sure they have fully committed to yet, but will have to soon unless they are going to wait another year until 2020. The annual report in February and investor days, should give us an updated idea of their plans for all of this.


I also agree that BOS will get TATL flights before JFK (in spite of my own NYC bias).

A couple of things BOS has over JFK:
1) It already functions as a TATL hub for B6 given all of its interlining, so there is no reason it can't add its own flights
2) While JFK has a few more destinations, BOS flies to more places that'd have Europe demand. Starting at BOS would allow them to sell flights from DTW/MSP/PHL/PIT/DCA/CLE to Europe. All places they don't fly to out of JFK.
3) While BOS is terribly located for domestic connections, it's perfectly located as a TATL hub. It's so well located, that they wouldn't even need A321LR to fly to Europe. Even A320NEO would be able to fly to DUB/LON/EDI. And with A321LR, they might even be able to reach BCN/MXP/NCE/ZRH. All routes they could support given domestic connections and A321 capacity.
4) B6 has more spaces to add at BOS and intend to grow it to 200 flights (maybe even more than that down the road), while its slot restricted at JFK. They have room to grow BOS into a TATL hub that can compete with DL at JFK, AA at PHL & UA at EWR. No way they can do that at JFK. Again, this is much further down the road, but there is at leas the possibility to do that.
5) DL is building up at BOS. While B6 should remain profitable at BOS even if DL builds up to 150 daily flights, it has to work on neutralizing advantages DL has. One of which is flying to Europe. Not only does B6 need to fly to Europe, it needs to find a strong non-aligned European partner (I'd say Easyjet is the most obvious partner). Another would be flying to more places in the middle of the country which DL can do via any of its fortress hubs, but B6 simply doesn't fly to.

At the end of they day, if several large corporate customer like Fidelity comes to B6 and say that they can't go exclusive with B6 until they start flying to London or Dublin, does B6 just keep resting on its butt waiting for DL to take those accounts? It really has to commit to flying to Europe this year.


All valid points. You can add RIC/BNA/DFW to cities served from BOS and not JFK. And BOS sees higher frequencies to markets like RDU and DEN. B6 has quite a large network to big and midsize US cities it can tap to help top off the robust local demand on BOS-Europe.

It's pretty clear that when B6 launches TATL flights, it will be from BOS (at least initially). DL's encroachment may force B6's hand to avoid scenarios like the one outlined above. Ultimately, B6 will need to make this move if it wants to remain top dog at BOS.
 
iyerhari
Posts: 732
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:18 pm

AA also announces a nonstop direct flight. I am pretty sure the number of directs will start going up based on supply and demand.
 
airbazar
Posts: 8558
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:49 pm

33lspotter wrote:
Maybe the ones they have aren’t ETOPS (and why would they need to be?).


I would imagine ETOPS has something to do with it --[/quote]

The good news is that the NEO engines come with ETOPS180 out of the box. It's now up to the airline to create and run it's own ETOPS program which is a far more difficult achievement. But for all we know they might already be doing that.
 
tjerome
Posts: 244
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:03 am

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:21 pm

What I'm hearing now is that WN will be leaving A by the end of the year/early next year, DL will start using those gates 2Q 2019.
The comments and opinions expressed here are my own.
My FlightMemory
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 1456
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:15 pm

tjerome wrote:
What I'm hearing now is that WN will be leaving A by the end of the year/early next year, DL will start using those gates 2Q 2019.


That sounds about right, with the timescales being indicated by massport for the completion of the work in B.. Summer 19 is going to see a serious ramp up by DL I think.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.
 
User avatar
william
Posts: 2763
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 1999 1:31 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:47 pm

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bosto ... 71.0095602

Is Delta trying to take all of Terminal A and secondary concourse?
 
User avatar
NickolayAv
Posts: 278
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:44 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:50 pm

william wrote:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Boston+Logan+International+Airport/@42.3632659,-71.0238551,658m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m8!1m2!2m1!1sBOS!3m4!1s0x89e37014d5da4937:0xc9394c31f2d5144!8m2!3d42.3656132!4d-71.0095602

Is Delta trying to take all of Terminal A and secondary concourse?

What secondary concourse are you talking about?
"If you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline"-Richard Branson
 
User avatar
william
Posts: 2763
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 1999 1:31 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:06 pm

NickolayAv wrote:
william wrote:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Boston+Logan+International+Airport/@42.3632659,-71.0238551,658m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m8!1m2!2m1!1sBOS!3m4!1s0x89e37014d5da4937:0xc9394c31f2d5144!8m2!3d42.3656132!4d-71.0095602

Is Delta trying to take all of Terminal A and secondary concourse?

What secondary concourse are you talking about?


The one along Harborside Drive.
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 1456
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:15 pm

NickolayAv wrote:
william wrote:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Boston+Logan+International+Airport/@42.3632659,-71.0238551,658m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m8!1m2!2m1!1sBOS!3m4!1s0x89e37014d5da4937:0xc9394c31f2d5144!8m2!3d42.3656132!4d-71.0095602

Is Delta trying to take all of Terminal A and secondary concourse?

What secondary concourse are you talking about?


Probably means the Satellite, which is A as well, but the answer is yes. DL will take possession of all but 1 gate, which will be reserved for WS operations. With DL/WS trying to get a JV going, i don't think WS will move out as I had originally thought. WS also sometimes take a 2nd gate.
Freeing up A18-A22 (where WN currently are), will give them the license for 40+ departures a day (at 8 turns a day), given they are at around 110-115 right now, that will put them smack where they want to be at 150, maybe a little more even. my guess it will be a bit of a relief from the other gates and then additional to make up the balance, as for routes, that's been discussed at length, but will definitely be a combo of increased frequencies and a few new routes. Be interesting to see if they add any TATL stuff, but I doubt it. 2019 is going to be fun at Logan, that's for sure.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.
 
iyerhari
Posts: 732
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:31 pm

I agree - Terminal B construction is going on at full swing - the shuttle counters at LUS side is gone, the security checkpoint is also going through a major revamp. I believe most of the AA Eagle flights to ROC, PIT flights now go through the shuttle side. I do not know if the Terminal B revamp is also going to have a single checkpoint for AC flights too.

DL getting all of A will make it interesting and what looks interesting will be how all the key players - B6 and DL fight it out at Logan.
 
User avatar
william
Posts: 2763
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 1999 1:31 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:39 pm

iyerhari wrote:
I agree - Terminal B construction is going on at full swing - the shuttle counters at LUS side is gone, the security checkpoint is also going through a major revamp. I believe most of the AA Eagle flights to ROC, PIT flights now go through the shuttle side. I do not know if the Terminal B revamp is also going to have a single checkpoint for AC flights too.

DL getting all of A will make it interesting and what looks interesting will be how all the key players - B6 and DL fight it out at Logan.


https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bosto ... 71.0095602

Not a Boston native, so what construction is going on at B?
 
bagoldex
Posts: 713
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:33 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:43 pm

iyerhari wrote:
I agree - Terminal B construction is going on at full swing - the shuttle counters at LUS side is gone, the security checkpoint is also going through a major revamp. I believe most of the AA Eagle flights to ROC, PIT flights now go through the shuttle side. I do not know if the Terminal B revamp is also going to have a single checkpoint for AC flights too.

DL getting all of A will make it interesting and what looks interesting will be how all the key players - B6 and DL fight it out at Logan.


Here's the plan for Terminal B ...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 2_B79K_xDC
 
iyerhari
Posts: 732
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:49 pm

https://www.massport.com/media/2420/tbo ... inal-2.pdf

Terminal B construction to consolidate LUS and AA to the US side - additional details in the PDF link
 
User avatar
adamh8297
Posts: 2768
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:15 pm

I cannot believe B6 has not added flights to MSP for "the big game" aka the Superbowl (Trademark of the National Football League).
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CO, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WN

2018 Flights: B6 BOS-BGI-BOS, WN BOS-MDW-BOS, B6 BOS-PDX-BOS
 
ack426
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:47 am

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:25 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
I cannot believe B6 has not added flights to MSP for "the big game" aka the Superbowl (Trademark of the National Football League).


They don't have any operations there yet....would have to work out gate space, equipment, personnel, etc.
 
User avatar
NickolayAv
Posts: 278
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:44 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:56 pm

VS4ever wrote:
My guess it will be a bit of a relief from the other gates and then additional to make up the balance, as for routes, that's been discussed at length, but will definitely be a combo of increased frequencies and a few new routes. Be interesting to see if they add any TATL stuff, but I doubt it. 2019 is going to be fun at Logan, that's for sure.

I'm interested if DL could be interested to utilize some of the gates for 757 flights to Europe, I think they could be profitable. Maybe fly to Berlin or Dusseldorf or Cologne, I think that could be profitable because airBerlin, Eurowings operated them (not Berlin), and were profitable because there seems to be a hole in the network that could easily be added. Maybe a few other destinations to Europe in some other places, could be profitable too.
"If you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline"-Richard Branson
 
User avatar
william
Posts: 2763
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 1999 1:31 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:16 pm

bagoldex wrote:
iyerhari wrote:
I agree - Terminal B construction is going on at full swing - the shuttle counters at LUS side is gone, the security checkpoint is also going through a major revamp. I believe most of the AA Eagle flights to ROC, PIT flights now go through the shuttle side. I do not know if the Terminal B revamp is also going to have a single checkpoint for AC flights too.

DL getting all of A will make it interesting and what looks interesting will be how all the key players - B6 and DL fight it out at Logan.


Here's the plan for Terminal B ...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 2_B79K_xDC


Thank You.
 
User avatar
william
Posts: 2763
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 1999 1:31 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:17 pm

iyerhari wrote:
https://www.massport.com/media/2420/tbo_ea_combined-3_06302017_final-2.pdf

Terminal B construction to consolidate LUS and AA to the US side - additional details in the PDF link


Thank you....What is the expected finish date?
 
iyerhari
Posts: 732
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:19 pm

Please see response 131 by tjermome - Terminal B upgrade is a pre-requisite for Southwest to move to B and DL getting back A satellite gates.
 
airplaneboy
Posts: 635
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 11:59 am

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:33 am

Does anyone know how many gates Southwest will occupy on B? Will they gain additional gates in comparison to the number they use now?
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 1456
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:44 am

airplaneboy wrote:
Does anyone know how many gates Southwest will occupy on B? Will they gain additional gates in comparison to the number they use now?

I’ve seen 7 in the past which would be an increase on what they have now, but nothing recently to confirm that. I am hoping that some of the board meeting decks this year will give us a bit more clarity on the subject, unless someone close to WN has any ideas
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.
 
airbazar
Posts: 8558
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:44 pm

NickolayAv wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
Be interesting to see if they add any TATL stuff, but I doubt it. 2019 is going to be fun at Logan, that's for sure.

I'm interested if DL could be interested to utilize some of the gates for 757 flights to Europe, I think they could be profitable. Maybe fly to Berlin or Dusseldorf or Cologne, I think that could be profitable because airBerlin, Eurowings operated them (not Berlin), and were profitable because there seems to be a hole in the network that could easily be added. Maybe a few other destinations to Europe in some other places, could be profitable too.

Currently DL has flights to DUB, LHR, CDG, and AMS. My opinion about DL's strategy from BOS is that they will enter any market where they see potential for business traffic. With that in mind, I think FRA or MUC would be top of the list despite the presence of LH. In my experience I find the non-stop fares to those 2 markets to be relatively high. It's been a very long time since we've seen anyone other than LH fly BOS-FRA. IIRC, US was the last carrier to do it.
 
User avatar
Dieuwer
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:01 pm

airbazar wrote:
NickolayAv wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
Be interesting to see if they add any TATL stuff, but I doubt it. 2019 is going to be fun at Logan, that's for sure.

I'm interested if DL could be interested to utilize some of the gates for 757 flights to Europe, I think they could be profitable. Maybe fly to Berlin or Dusseldorf or Cologne, I think that could be profitable because airBerlin, Eurowings operated them (not Berlin), and were profitable because there seems to be a hole in the network that could easily be added. Maybe a few other destinations to Europe in some other places, could be profitable too.

Currently DL has flights to DUB, LHR, CDG, and AMS. My opinion about DL's strategy from BOS is that they will enter any market where they see potential for business traffic. With that in mind, I think FRA or MUC would be top of the list despite the presence of LH. In my experience I find the non-stop fares to those 2 markets to be relatively high. It's been a very long time since we've seen anyone other than LH fly BOS-FRA. IIRC, US was the last carrier to do it.


With the exception of LHR, all routes to Europe are "monopolies." (LGW is not really a biz airport and AA pulled out CDG).
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 24

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos