User avatar
chrisnh
Posts: 3879
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 1999 3:59 am

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:35 pm

33lspotter wrote:
With regards to the whispers about a second A380 coming this summer, I am somewhat skeptical. It would be awesome, but I feel like something would have been announced by now...aren't summer schedules usually out by now? I may be totally off base, but we did already know about BA bringing the A380 last March (for the duration of the summer) in October 2016 if I remember correctly.


I also think we'd have heard by now, but EK announced a June resumption for Houston just last week. So I wouldn't abandon hope yet. Like I said earlier, the CEO of EK has been chattering about resuming the lost service in the U.S. Aside from Houston we've seen the Florida upgrades as well. I think there's still time for them to 'announce' something for a Summer start. That really does fly in the face of conventional wisdom that suggests that these sort of things are made public a half-year beforehand. I guess because EK has so many planes they can turn more on a dime than others can.

As for BA, still the same Friday/Sunday/Monday deal as last year.
 
FGITD
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:40 pm

airbazar wrote:
FGITD wrote:

These days airports are much more than just a place to catch a flight. They are huge economic contributors for an entire region. It's important to be prepared for all kinds of weather situations. We've seen what happens (in JFK, LHR, BRU, FRA, etc), when airports are not prepared. Weather happens.

The thing that bugs me when there is a storm is that while BOS is operating quite well, airlines still chose to not fly planes in and our flights get cancelled or delayed.


Unfortunately that's pretty much the price you pay for quality snow removal. You can either operate at a far reduced capacity for one day, or spread it out over a prolonged period. Terminal E for example was a ghost town during that last storm. But the very next day everyone operated, and the ramp/north cargo were actually in better condition than before the storm.

Though domestics are different, with delays up line, faster turns etc
 
33lspotter
Posts: 397
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:37 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:50 pm

chrisnh wrote:
I also think we'd have heard by now, but EK announced a June resumption for Houston just last week. So I wouldn't abandon hope yet. Like I said earlier, the CEO of EK has been chattering about resuming the lost service in the U.S. Aside from Houston we've seen the Florida upgrades as well. I think there's still time for them to 'announce' something for a Summer start. That really does fly in the face of conventional wisdom that suggests that these sort of things are made public a half-year beforehand. I guess because EK has so many planes they can turn more on a dime than others can.


Yeah, I do remember them deciding that they were operating that one-off in the winter. For all the talk about compatibility checks, hindsight makes it seem very much like an effort to get in ahead of BA to get the unofficial "first A380 to BOS" superlative before the latter launched service in the spring: they announced it in December for a January rotation, whereas BA announced in October they were starting in March. Like you said, they (of all carriers) have the fleet with which to do it.

chrisnh wrote:
As for BA, still the same Friday/Sunday/Monday deal as last year.


Indeed. The one difference I noticed is that -- unlike on last year's A380 days -- the 202/203 rotation will be operated by a 777 rather than the 744. My trip to England last year involved flights on both of those days (Sunday departure, return the following Monday) going to LHR on the A380 and coming home on the 744. However, like last year, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday are still scheduled to see the 744 on the 212/213 rotation.
 
User avatar
chrisnh
Posts: 3879
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 1999 3:59 am

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:00 pm

Yes! And also you will notice that on the A380 days this summer there are four flights, whereas last year those days were 3x.

And indeed, more 777s this summer than 744s.

So as for seat counts 2018 v. 2017 I guess it nearly all washes out.
 
User avatar
NickolayAv
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:44 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:58 pm

chrisnh wrote:
Yes! And also you will notice that on the A380 days this summer there are four flights, whereas last year those days were 3x.

And indeed, more 777s this summer than 744s.

So as for seat counts 2018 v. 2017 I guess it nearly all washes out.

When is the fourth flight?
"If you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline"-Richard Branson
 
33lspotter
Posts: 397
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:37 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:08 pm

NickolayAv wrote:
When is the fourth flight?


In terms of BOS departures for this coming spring/summer, where 1 is Monday and 7 is Sunday:

BA238 - usually around 7:40 (777, not sure if E or W - 1234567)
BA212 - usually around 19:15 (A380 1,5,7 / 744 2,3,4,6)
BA202 - usually around 21:40 (777, not sure if E or W - 1234567)
BA214 - usually around 22:50 (777, not sure if E or W - 1234567)

There are slight variations, but those times should be relatively consistent.
 
iyerhari
Posts: 662
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:12 pm

Anyone knows if/when WS will fly nonstop from BOS-YYC?
 
User avatar
NickolayAv
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:44 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:13 pm

33lspotter wrote:
NickolayAv wrote:
When is the fourth flight?


In terms of BOS departures for this coming spring/summer, where 1 is Monday and 7 is Sunday:

BA238 - usually around 7:40 (777, not sure if E or W - 1234567)
BA212 - usually around 19:15 (A380 1,5,7 / 744 2,3,4,6)
BA202 - usually around 21:40 (777, not sure if E or W - 1234567)
BA214 - usually around 22:50 (777, not sure if E or W - 1234567)

There are slight variations, but those times should be relatively consistent.

My bad, I thought he meant the 4th A380 flight.
"If you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline"-Richard Branson
 
33lspotter
Posts: 397
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:37 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:28 pm

NickolayAv wrote:
My bad, I thought he meant the 4th A380 flight.


Ah, I see what you mean. Last year on A380 days (Sun, Mon, Fri) there were three flights: 238/239 was a 777, 212/213 was an A380, and 202/203 was a 744. This summer, 214/215 has been added, and -- on A380 days -- 202/203 has gone from 744 to 777 (giving us four flights).
 
User avatar
mikegigs
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:03 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:54 am

33lspotter wrote:
In terms of BOS departures for this coming spring/summer, where 1 is Monday and 7 is Sunday:

BA238 - usually around 7:40 (777, not sure if E or W - 1234567)
BA212 - usually around 19:15 (A380 1,5,7 / 744 2,3,4,6)
BA202 - usually around 21:40 (777, not sure if E or W - 1234567)
BA214 - usually around 22:50 (777, not sure if E or W - 1234567)

There are slight variations, but those times should be relatively consistent.


With this schedule is BA going to require 2 gates? It looks like Flights 202 and 214 will be on the ground together based off the schedule (BA215 arrives at 21:00) and Flights 214 and 238 will be too (BA239 arrives at 22:15 and is RON). Will they use E12 and E11?

At that hour I'd expect EK and LH to be using their Gates (E11 and E10) so would a BA flight be pushed to E9 or below?

To maximize use of B12, seems like BA238, 212, and 202 would use it and BA214 would be elsewhere?
Airports: BOS, JAX, JFK, EWR, LGA, CVG, ATL, CLT, DCA, IAD, STT, PVD, ALB, MCO
Aircraft: 733, 735, 73G, 738, 752, 717, A319, A320, MD-88, E190, E175, E145, CRJ-200, CRJ-700, Q400
Airlines: B6, CO, DL, US, NW, WN, DH
...a good start but a looong way to go!
 
Thenoflyzone
Posts: 2654
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2001 4:42 am

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:09 am

iyerhari wrote:
Anyone knows if/when WS will fly nonstop from BOS-YYC?


They are unveiling a new livery tomorrow. Could be accompanied with some route launches........
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!
 
33lspotter
Posts: 397
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:37 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:23 am

mikegigs wrote:
With this schedule is BA going to require 2 gates? It looks like Flights 202 and 214 will be on the ground together based off the schedule (BA215 arrives at 21:00) and Flights 214 and 238 will be too (BA239 arrives at 22:15 and is RON). Will they use E12 and E11?

At that hour I'd expect EK and LH to be using their Gates (E11 and E10) so would a BA flight be pushed to E9 or below?

To maximize use of B12, seems like BA238, 212, and 202 would use it and BA214 would be elsewhere?


From what I have seen the A380 and 744 have always used E12 when operating BA212. That being said I feel like I’ve seen BA 77Es and 77Ws at another one of the E gates (I believe E11) at the same time as the 212 flight, and I also seem to recall the 744 flying 202 sitting at E11 the night I was leaving on the A380 from E12 (as 212).

Now obviously that goes against what you’re saying as far as LH being there but IIRC the LH 748 has usually left by then but maybe you mean the MUC flight? Either way I feel like I’ve seen a BA plane parked at one of E9/10/11 at the same time as another is at E12.
 
Thenoflyzone
Posts: 2654
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2001 4:42 am

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:55 pm

Thenoflyzone wrote:
iyerhari wrote:
Anyone knows if/when WS will fly nonstop from BOS-YYC?


They are unveiling a new livery tomorrow. Could be accompanied with some route launches........


Postponed until May 8th, apparently. No YYC-BOS this summer I'm afraid.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!
 
33lspotter
Posts: 397
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:37 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:57 pm

chrisnh wrote:
I guess because EK has so many planes they can turn more on a dime than others can.


Back to this point: EK just announced another "one-off" rotation to Brussels on 4/19. https://twitter.com/emirates/status/969225749147410433
 
User avatar
adamh8297
Posts: 2715
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:41 pm

Thenoflyzone wrote:
Thenoflyzone wrote:
iyerhari wrote:
Anyone knows if/when WS will fly nonstop from BOS-YYC?


They are unveiling a new livery tomorrow. Could be accompanied with some route launches........


Postponed until May 8th, apparently. No YYC-BOS this summer I'm afraid.


A postponed livery announcement doesn't mean no... but the clock is ticking. AC announced BOS-YVR mid-march with late June start date.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CO, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WN

2018 Flights: B6 BOS-BGI-BOS, WN BOS-MDW-BOS
 
FGITD
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:16 am

Regarding the second 380.... Let's just say there is one a380 equipped carrier that has a tendency to make last minute schedule changes, and has plenty of 380s.

Interesting to see tonight, all 3 aer lingus flights terminated in Boston, due to DUB weather. Tough spot to be in, as they now risk stranding those aircraft in Boston another day. Lots of cancellations expected with this nor easter
 
User avatar
NickolayAv
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:44 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:44 pm

Sichuan Airlines received regulatory approval for the Chengdu to Boston route and intends to launch it in May.
Guess it wasn't just an empty promise from the airline.
http://atwonline.com/airports-routes/si ... tal-routes
"If you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline"-Richard Branson
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 1403
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:21 pm

NickolayAv wrote:
Sichuan Airlines received regulatory approval for the Chengdu to Boston route and intends to launch it in May.
Guess it wasn't just an empty promise from the airline.
http://atwonline.com/airports-routes/si ... tal-routes


I think they said this will be on the 359, so another operator to add to the list.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.
 
clrd4t8koff
Posts: 1077
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:57 am

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:26 pm

NickolayAv wrote:
Sichuan Airlines received regulatory approval for the Chengdu to Boston route and intends to launch it in May.
Guess it wasn't just an empty promise from the airline.
http://atwonline.com/airports-routes/si ... tal-routes


Wonder if there's any data on how big the BOS-CTU market is. Are there connection opportunities there that aren't available on HU through PEK & PVG they would benefit from?
 
User avatar
NickolayAv
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:44 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:08 am

Also on this site, http://www.gochengdu.cn/news/Highlights ... a6577.html , it states that it will be three times a week and also it is A330/A350. The A332 has the range, so that's another possibility.
"If you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline"-Richard Branson
 
User avatar
adamh8297
Posts: 2715
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:47 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:
NickolayAv wrote:
Sichuan Airlines received regulatory approval for the Chengdu to Boston route and intends to launch it in May.
Guess it wasn't just an empty promise from the airline.
http://atwonline.com/airports-routes/si ... tal-routes


Wonder if there's any data on how big the BOS-CTU market is. Are there connection opportunities there that aren't available on HU through PEK & PVG they would benefit from?


Routesonline had some information from 2016H1 with 3910 for that half of the year (10.7 PDEW). Not big by any means but it did go up 65% YOY. from 2015.

Its the third table in the page: https://www.routesonline.com/news/29/br ... d-markets/

Sichuan and its subsidiary Chengdu Airlines serve far more Chinese destinations in CTU than HU does in PEK and even a couple extra in SE Asia.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CO, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WN

2018 Flights: B6 BOS-BGI-BOS, WN BOS-MDW-BOS
 
User avatar
NickolayAv
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:44 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:04 am

adamh8297 wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
NickolayAv wrote:
Sichuan Airlines received regulatory approval for the Chengdu to Boston route and intends to launch it in May.
Guess it wasn't just an empty promise from the airline.
http://atwonline.com/airports-routes/si ... tal-routes


Wonder if there's any data on how big the BOS-CTU market is. Are there connection opportunities there that aren't available on HU through PEK & PVG they would benefit from?


Routesonline had some information from 2016H1 with 3910 for that half of the year (10.7 PDEW). Not big by any means but it did go up 65% YOY. from 2015.

Its the third table in the page: https://www.routesonline.com/news/29/br ... d-markets/

Sichuan and its subsidiary Chengdu Airlines serve far more Chinese destinations in CTU than HU does in PEK and even a couple extra in SE Asia.

The estimated passengers on the list was 3910. :lol:
"If you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline"-Richard Branson
 
airbazar
Posts: 8451
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:04 am

adamh8297 wrote:
Sichuan and its subsidiary Chengdu Airlines serve far more Chinese destinations in CTU than HU does in PEK and even a couple extra in SE Asia.

I don't know how easy or efficient it is to connect in China. Usually when I think of major Asian connecting hubs, Chinese hubs are not something I consider. However, geographically speaking, CTU seems ideal for connections to all of SE Asia (it is practically on the GC route between BOS and SIN).
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=bos-ctu%0D ... =wls&DU=nm
 
jplatts
Posts: 1264
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:08 am

Will DL ever add BOS-IAH nonstop service? UA is currently the only airline to serve IAH nonstop from BOS, but both WN and B6 do serve HOU nonstop from BOS.

IAH is the only US3 hub that has nonstop service out of BOS on only 1 legacy carrier, even though DL is the only airline to serve its CVG focus city nonstop from BOS. All of the other US3 hub and focus city airports have nonstop service out of BOS on more than 1 airline.
 
User avatar
NickolayAv
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:44 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:53 am

airbazar wrote:
adamh8297 wrote:
Sichuan and its subsidiary Chengdu Airlines serve far more Chinese destinations in CTU than HU does in PEK and even a couple extra in SE Asia.

I don't know how easy or efficient it is to connect in China. Usually when I think of major Asian connecting hubs, Chinese hubs are not something I consider. However, geographically speaking, CTU seems ideal for connections to all of SE Asia (it is practically on the GC route between BOS and SIN).
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=bos-ctu%0D ... =wls&DU=nm

I can imagine that the route will rely heavily on connections. I think that the Chendu+Sichuan Airlines combo could offer a lot more connections through Chengdu than O/D like the previous routes to Asia, because on other routes Hainan didn't have a large hub in PEK and especially PVG.
"If you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline"-Richard Branson
 
aaflyer777
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:37 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:45 am

jplatts wrote:
Will DL ever add BOS-IAH nonstop service? UA is currently the only airline to serve IAH nonstop from BOS, but both WN and B6 do serve HOU nonstop from BOS.

IAH is the only US3 hub that has nonstop service out of BOS on only 1 legacy carrier, even though DL is the only airline to serve its CVG focus city nonstop from BOS. All of the other US3 hub and focus city airports have nonstop service out of BOS on more than 1 airline.


Highly unlikely, BOS-IAH is not a huge market and there are at least half a dozen cities with greater demand that DL does not serve from BOS. Just because there's only 1 legacy carrier on a route doesn't mean another carrier should jump on it.
 
hinckley
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:53 am

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:25 am

I have to say that Bos-Chengdu is one of the more bizarre routes I've ever heard of. Second-tier city to second-tier city. No-name airline. Who's the market for this route?
 
User avatar
chrisnh
Posts: 3879
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 1999 3:59 am

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:16 am

hinckley wrote:
I have to say that Bos-Chengdu is one of the more bizarre routes I've ever heard of. Second-tier city to second-tier city. No-name airline. Who's the market for this route?


I agree that this could be one of those routes ‘That Won’t Return in 2019.’ But I’m basing that on nothing more than the discussed curiosity here. However, only 3x a week ought to mean loads at least in the high 70s.
 
ncflyer
Posts: 716
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2000 7:03 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:14 pm

Agreed it’s a strange route but Chengdu a second tier city? North of 11mm in the city. Never been but I understand it’s a real hub for China manufacturing and tech growth and the largest economic engine of western China. Huge investment underway to make it tech hub.

So— not Guangzhou or Beijing or Shanghai— yes. Second tier? Hmm.
 
hinckley
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:53 am

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:19 pm

ncflyer wrote:
Agreed it’s a strange route but Chengdu a second tier city? North of 11mm in the city. Never been but I understand it’s a real hub for China manufacturing and tech growth and the largest economic engine of western China. Huge investment underway to make it tech hub. So— not Guangzhou or Beijing or Shanghai— yes. Second tier? Hmm.


Ya . . . maybe you're right. There are about 125 Chinese cities with a population of one million or more, and we tend to know little about the vast majority of them. I've been to China about a half dozens times, mostly on tech-related business trips, and I've got to say that Chengdu doesn't register on the radar.

I don't know much about Sichuan. They don't have much of a website or online presense. I saw this report which is not particularly complementary. http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/ ... -pictures/
 
User avatar
adamh8297
Posts: 2715
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:57 pm

I'm sure if it happens BOS-CTU will be a vast majority of PRC point of sale. One could say there will be some government sponsored tourism as well though it appears Chinese millenials are doing more independent tours nowadays.


https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles ... ld-economy
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CO, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WN

2018 Flights: B6 BOS-BGI-BOS, WN BOS-MDW-BOS
 
hinckley
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:53 am

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:17 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
I'm sure if it happens BOS-CTU will be a vast majority of PRC point of sale. One could say there will be some government sponsored tourism as well though it appears Chinese millenials are doing more independent tours nowadays.


Well, that will be good for the city of Boston. And with the financial situation at HU, we may need a back-up to China.
 
iyerhari
Posts: 662
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:58 pm

hinckley wrote:
ncflyer wrote:
Agreed it’s a strange route but Chengdu a second tier city? North of 11mm in the city. Never been but I understand it’s a real hub for China manufacturing and tech growth and the largest economic engine of western China. Huge investment underway to make it tech hub. So— not Guangzhou or Beijing or Shanghai— yes. Second tier? Hmm.


Ya . . . maybe you're right. There are about 125 Chinese cities with a population of one million or more, and we tend to know little about the vast majority of them. I've been to China about a half dozens times, mostly on tech-related business trips, and I've got to say that Chengdu doesn't register on the radar.

I don't know much about Sichuan. They don't have much of a website or online presense. I saw this report which is not particularly complementary. http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/ ... -pictures/

I know of a distant relative who travels to Chengdu from BOM. My understanding from him is that the city has established itself for electronics industry, and IT. Let's see how long this is going to last! It will be primarily O&D passengers I believe. UA is the only US carrier who fly to Chengdu from SFO.
aaflyer777 wrote:
jplatts wrote:
Will DL ever add BOS-IAH nonstop service? UA is currently the only airline to serve IAH nonstop from BOS, but both WN and B6 do serve HOU nonstop from BOS.

IAH is the only US3 hub that has nonstop service out of BOS on only 1 legacy carrier, even though DL is the only airline to serve its CVG focus city nonstop from BOS. All of the other US3 hub and focus city airports have nonstop service out of BOS on more than 1 airline.


Highly unlikely, BOS-IAH is not a huge market and there are at least half a dozen cities with greater demand that DL does not serve from BOS. Just because there's only 1 legacy carrier on a route doesn't mean another carrier should jump on it.

I agree IAH maybe not top of the radar, but UA is still able to command $459 tickets from BOS-IAH on a Monday and returning back on a Thu. There are many consultants who travel this route and I have myself done this route for over 2 years. Off the top routes not served by DL: ORD, DCA, BWI, PHL and EWR - it would be a bloodbath for DL to enter. If there is anyone who will enter this route it would be DL from BOS.
 
33lspotter
Posts: 397
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:37 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:17 pm

FGITD wrote:
Regarding the second 380.... Let's just say there is one a380 equipped carrier that has a tendency to make last minute schedule changes, and has plenty of 380s.


If I'm correct, that carrier also "may have kept the A380 production line alive" as well. ;)
 
User avatar
NickolayAv
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:44 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:08 pm

hinckley wrote:
adamh8297 wrote:
I'm sure if it happens BOS-CTU will be a vast majority of PRC point of sale. One could say there will be some government sponsored tourism as well though it appears Chinese millenials are doing more independent tours nowadays.


Well, that will be good for the city of Boston. And with the financial situation at HU, we may need a back-up to China.

I'm pretty confident that should HU stop flying to BOS, some other airline (Probably Air China for PEK, and China Eastern for PVG), will very quickly jump onto the opportunity to take the route. I'm sure they know how profitable it has been for HU. Unfortunately, that would be a downgrade for the fliers though, HU has amazing service.
"If you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline"-Richard Branson
 
clrd4t8koff
Posts: 1077
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:57 am

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:19 pm

NickolayAv wrote:
hinckley wrote:
adamh8297 wrote:
I'm sure if it happens BOS-CTU will be a vast majority of PRC point of sale. One could say there will be some government sponsored tourism as well though it appears Chinese millenials are doing more independent tours nowadays.


Well, that will be good for the city of Boston. And with the financial situation at HU, we may need a back-up to China.

I'm pretty confident that should HU stop flying to BOS, some other airline (Probably Air China for PEK, and China Eastern for PVG), will very quickly jump onto the opportunity to take the route. I'm sure they know how profitable it has been for HU. Unfortunately, that would be a downgrade for the fliers though, HU has amazing service.


Is HU doing poorly financially? Seems like they've been expanding like crazy (though maybe too fast and that's what is causing the financial issues)?
 
hinckley
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:53 am

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:33 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
Is HU doing poorly financially? Seems like they've been expanding like crazy (though maybe too fast and that's what is causing the financial issues)?


See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1380457
 
User avatar
Dieuwer
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:21 pm

hinckley wrote:
[And with the financial situation at HU, we may need a back-up to China.


CX is not good enough to provide "back-up"?
 
User avatar
NickolayAv
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:44 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:38 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
hinckley wrote:
[And with the financial situation at HU, we may need a back-up to China.


CX is not good enough to provide "back-up"?

It will be a significantly less efficient routing in that case, but I don't think some airline wouldn't pounce on the opportunity to take the routes.
Last edited by NickolayAv on Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline"-Richard Branson
 
bagoldex
Posts: 638
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:33 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:45 pm

NickolayAv wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
hinckley wrote:
[And with the financial situation at HU, we may need a back-up to China.


CX is not good enough to provide "back-up"?

It will be a significantly less efficient routing in that case, but I don't think some airline wouldn't pounce on the opportunity to take the flight.


Neither China Eastern nor Air China, as you mentioned earlier, have the right planes for the routes. I think the more plausible outcome is that they remain unserved and Korean jumps on Boston-Seoul.
 
User avatar
NickolayAv
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:44 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:58 pm

bagoldex wrote:
NickolayAv wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

CX is not good enough to provide "back-up"?

It will be a significantly less efficient routing in that case, but I don't think some airline wouldn't pounce on the opportunity to take the flight.


Neither China Eastern nor Air China, as you mentioned earlier, have the right planes for the routes. I think the more plausible outcome is that they remain unserved and Korean jumps on Boston-Seoul.

Air China has 787-9s with 4 more seats than Hainan's 787-9 and honestly I think that BOS-PEK could easily handle a 777-300ER, China Eastern is slightly harder, but they are receiving 787-9s soon which they could use, this would be an upgauge from the 788 of HU, but it could probably handle it, especially with more connectivity through PVG than HU could offer.
"If you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline"-Richard Branson
 
bagoldex
Posts: 638
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:33 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:21 pm

NickolayAv wrote:
bagoldex wrote:
NickolayAv wrote:
It will be a significantly less efficient routing in that case, but I don't think some airline wouldn't pounce on the opportunity to take the flight.


Neither China Eastern nor Air China, as you mentioned earlier, have the right planes for the routes. I think the more plausible outcome is that they remain unserved and Korean jumps on Boston-Seoul.

Air China has 787-9s with 4 more seats than Hainan's 787-9 and honestly I think that BOS-PEK could easily handle a 777-300ER, China Eastern is slightly harder, but they are receiving 787-9s soon which they could use, this would be an upgauge from the 788 of HU, but it could probably handle it, especially with more connectivity through PVG than HU could offer.


From the article posted above, it seems as though Hainan's teetering on the edge. They might be filling the seats but unless you have some inside info that demonstrates Boston to be a uniquely profitable market in a network that's hemorrhaging, I don't think anyone's going to rush in after them.
 
jsteeves3
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:00 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:38 pm

jplatts wrote:
Will DL ever add BOS-IAH nonstop service? UA is currently the only airline to serve IAH nonstop from BOS, but both WN and B6 do serve HOU nonstop from BOS.

IAH is the only US3 hub that has nonstop service out of BOS on only 1 legacy carrier, even though DL is the only airline to serve its CVG focus city nonstop from BOS. All of the other US3 hub and focus city airports have nonstop service out of BOS on more than 1 airline.


Denver??
 
iyerhari
Posts: 662
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:40 pm

jsteeves3 wrote:
jplatts wrote:
Will DL ever add BOS-IAH nonstop service? UA is currently the only airline to serve IAH nonstop from BOS, but both WN and B6 do serve HOU nonstop from BOS.

IAH is the only US3 hub that has nonstop service out of BOS on only 1 legacy carrier, even though DL is the only airline to serve its CVG focus city nonstop from BOS. All of the other US3 hub and focus city airports have nonstop service out of BOS on more than 1 airline.


Denver??

B6 and WN both fly to DEN in addition to UA for sure. IAH is served only by UA - B6 and WN fly to HOU.
 
User avatar
chrisnh
Posts: 3879
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 1999 3:59 am

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:54 pm

Speaking of 'teetering,' hasn't AZ been in that position for awhile now? And no one is worrying that much about them leaving Boston. Is HU a different situation?
 
iyerhari
Posts: 662
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:08 pm

I think if AZ were to falter, DL may pickup that route unless Italian Govt, bails out AZ.
 
jsteeves3
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:00 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:32 pm

iyerhari wrote:
jsteeves3 wrote:
jplatts wrote:
Will DL ever add BOS-IAH nonstop service? UA is currently the only airline to serve IAH nonstop from BOS, but both WN and B6 do serve HOU nonstop from BOS.

IAH is the only US3 hub that has nonstop service out of BOS on only 1 legacy carrier, even though DL is the only airline to serve its CVG focus city nonstop from BOS. All of the other US3 hub and focus city airports have nonstop service out of BOS on more than 1 airline.


Denver??

B6 and WN both fly to DEN in addition to UA for sure. IAH is served only by UA - B6 and WN fly to HOU.

He stated on legacy carriers...
 
jsteeves3
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:00 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:32 pm

iyerhari wrote:
jsteeves3 wrote:
jplatts wrote:
Will DL ever add BOS-IAH nonstop service? UA is currently the only airline to serve IAH nonstop from BOS, but both WN and B6 do serve HOU nonstop from BOS.

IAH is the only US3 hub that has nonstop service out of BOS on only 1 legacy carrier, even though DL is the only airline to serve its CVG focus city nonstop from BOS. All of the other US3 hub and focus city airports have nonstop service out of BOS on more than 1 airline.


Denver??

B6 and WN both fly to DEN in addition to UA for sure. IAH is served only by UA - B6 and WN fly to HOU.

He stated on legacy carriers...
 
georgiabill
Posts: 1055
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2003 11:53 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:02 am

Any word on AV and their proposed route SAL-BOS-SAL? Could we see BOG route upgraded to an A320 from the A319?
I am hoping in 2019 we might see a seasonal ATH-BOS-ATH or MXP-BOS-MXP route perhaps 3x or 4x. Air Italy might consider it when it starts receiving their 788'S from QR. For ATH should EK decide to restore 2nd daily perhaps they might consider a 5th freedom flight operating DXB-ATH-BOS-ATH-DXB 3x or 4x to fill the plane atleast seasonally.

For domestic service I would like to see a seasonal ANC-BOS-ANC even if it only operated as a saturday only flight.

Your thoughts
 
User avatar
adamh8297
Posts: 2715
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:13 am

chrisnh wrote:
Speaking of 'teetering,' hasn't AZ been in that position for awhile now? And no one is worrying that much about them leaving Boston. Is HU a different situation?


From what I've read the parent company for HU is the one in liquidity trouble for buying up everything and anything (example investments in hotels, Gategourmet (which makes money), random properties, etc). The airline(s) may be in OK shape but they do owe China's state own oil company over 400 million USD.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CO, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WN

2018 Flights: B6 BOS-BGI-BOS, WN BOS-MDW-BOS

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos