Re: Turkish Aviation January 2018

Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:12 am

I hear MEX will start via BCN?

leftyboarder

Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:29 am

kiramakora wrote:
I hear MEX will start via BCN?

Where did you hear that one? Wasn't it EK that was rumored to do that?

imthedreamliner

Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:09 am

gokmengs wrote:
Watching the video and seeing the massive project complete with all the treasury backed money being spent at the new airport, I would love for them to leave all populist shows and egos aside and do the project correct. Just give a little more time where its not an operation mess and construction zone and Leave GA at IST and move to the new airport in a stable manner. Just my wish...

As Istanbul city center on Asian side is expanding towards east, I wonder how easy it will be to reach 3rd airport from Southern part of Istanbul. Is it possible we have some WB activity at SAW as well in the coming years ? Or else for any flight that is outside the reach of a NEO/MAX, we gonna have to travel all the way from South end of the city to the 3rd airport. Really a challenge in todays traffic mess in Istanbul.

leftyboarder

Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:33 am

imthedreamliner wrote:
gokmengs wrote:
Watching the video and seeing the massive project complete with all the treasury backed money being spent at the new airport, I would love for them to leave all populist shows and egos aside and do the project correct. Just give a little more time where its not an operation mess and construction zone and Leave GA at IST and move to the new airport in a stable manner. Just my wish...

As Istanbul city center on Asian side is expanding towards east, I wonder how easy it will be to reach 3rd airport from Southern part of Istanbul. Is it possible we have some WB activity at SAW as well in the coming years ? Or else for any flight that is outside the reach of a NEO/MAX, we gonna have to travel all the way from South end of the city to the 3rd airport. Really a challenge in todays traffic mess in Istanbul.

Well you can always do a SAW-ESB-New Airport flight :) Joke aside, I'm sure within a few years there will be meaningful road / rail connections. Not at opening though.

TK787
Topic Author

Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:36 am

As I always say, if one day, there will be a JFK-SAW TK flight, I will never use IGA, ever.

Yakamoz

Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:45 pm

TK787 wrote:
As I always say, if one day, there will be a JFK-SAW TK flight, I will never use IGA, ever.

And when Pegasus will do it? :D

mafaky

Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:25 pm

Even if Pegasus may well start it one day (to SAW), I'm pretty sure that TK787 will never travel that distance in a sardine can!... :lol: And Pegasus ill never ever introduce the C/J Class!... :? :shock:
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

TK787
Topic Author

Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:17 pm

:)
As I said JFK-SAW TK flight.
About sardine cans. Gone are the days of 33-34" Y on TK 343s. TK's Y on the 333-77W is pretty bad. Especially when the person in front reclines ( even that 2 inches) and they put a dining tray in front of me. I really like that unspoken rule of not to recline Y seats. Pretty common place in the US domestic flights, these days.
Nothing against Pegasus, I will definitely do it, if Pegasus to order WB aircraft for the route. But I doubt that. As I mentioned before, AtlasGlobal again thinking about getting few A330s, but probably not for US either.

mafaky

Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:54 pm

Oooops; sorry that I really missed that "TK" in your first message!.... :banghead: :(
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

TK787
Topic Author

Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:25 pm

mafaky wrote:
Oooops; sorry that I really missed that "TK" in your first message!.... :banghead: :(

No worries :)
I keep dreaming.
Seriously, wouldn't it be nice. I think a future TK JFK-SAW will work better than a TK EWR-IST. Not sure about JFK-SAW vs. JFK-ESB.

bahadir

Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:21 am

TK787 wrote:

About 5-6 years ago Pegasus considered it. I have seen some studies with used 767-300ERs for the SAW-EWR route.
Right now, you can do it using Pegasus SAW-AMS and KL AMS-SAW.. They code share. :)
Earthbound misfit I

AirbusA343

Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:43 pm

Other than the A330 routes listed recently, I wonder if there will be other ones. I remember TK680 to Khartoum was A330 operated for 8 days in a row last month. Could be a sign of something in the future, I've never seen a NB flight being operated by a WB for so long. Also, those new A330 frequencies seem to have come from A321 routes. With some A321s to spare there may be a few routes upgauged to A321 for the summer. Fingers crossed that it is TK1975/1976 because I'm using that route sometime in June/July/August!

LAXintl

Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:23 pm

THY is first foreign airline in Israel to carry more than 1 million passengers annually.
Year over year growth for TK in Israel was 9.5 percent in 2017, with an average of 9 daily flights.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/turkis ... 017-125554
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

mercure1

Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:02 pm

Pretty amazing but Tel Aviv is almost a domestic city for Turkish carriers based on frequency.
In addition to TK also have Pegasus, AtlasGlobal and OnurAir with flights to Israel.

mafaky

Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:56 am

A Pegasus 738 (TC-CPF, "Zeynep") overran the runway while landing at TZX yesterday evening around 23:30 and ditched to the muddy ground, actually on the slope overlooking the seabed. One of the engines actually got torn off the wing and ended up in the seabed. Thankfully no fatalities or casualties... The airframe looks like a direct write-off. The general assumption is cockpit error, unless there has been some last minute unexpected mechanical failure. You can see some last minute photos, taken by a drone this morning...

http://www.airporthaber.com/havacilik-h ... lendi.html

Ah, well; just noticed a new thread has been opened in a.net; see below:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1383605

mafaky

Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:06 am

Anybody who can comment on this?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1383605&p=20090865#p20090865

Blerg

Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:07 pm

Merhaba. Is there anywhere where I can get Ankara's passenger numbers month by month? I couldn't find them on TAV's website.

mafaky

Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:23 pm

Blerg wrote:
Merhaba. Is there anywhere where I can get Ankara's passenger numbers month by month? I couldn't find them on TAV's website.

You should look for these in DHMI's website. Which years are you interested in?

Blerg

Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:48 pm

mafaky wrote:
Blerg wrote:

You should look for these in DHMI's website. Which years are you interested in?

Thanks, most of the information is in Turkish but I'll figure something out. Ideally it would be for 2017.

mercure1

Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:24 pm

I see in French travel news Air Arabia announced additional Turkish market - Bodrum.

Effective June 13 - 3 times weekly.

Bodrum becomes Air Arabia’s 4th destination in Turkey

qf789

Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:24 am

Emirates will resume services to SAW from 8 June 18

http://gulfbusiness.com/dubais-emirates ... n-airport/
Forum Moderator

1g

Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:06 am

TK787 wrote:
About sardine cans. Gone are the days of 33-34" Y on TK 343s. TK's Y on the 333-77W is pretty bad. Especially when the person in front reclines ( even that 2 inches) and they put a dining tray in front of me. I really like that unspoken rule of not to recline Y seats. Pretty common place in the US domestic flights, these days.
Nothing against Pegasus, I will definitely do it, if Pegasus to order WB aircraft for the route. But I doubt that. As I mentioned before, AtlasGlobal again thinking about getting few A330s, but probably not for US either.

I like the unspoken rule of not reclining but that really applies to flights no longer than 6-7 hours, which is also the longest flight you will find in domestic US.
I have to recline in a TK flight if it's a long haul flight otherwise it really does become unbearable.

I'm sorry to all the people who sat behind me in long haul flights :D

globetrotter94

Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:47 pm

1g wrote:
TK787 wrote:

I like the unspoken rule of not reclining but that really applies to flights no longer than 6-7 hours, which is also the longest flight you will find in domestic US.
I have to recline in a TK flight if it's a long haul flight otherwise it really does become unbearable.

As long as you didn't recline during meal times, you're good! :D
6E, 9W, AF, AI, BA, BI, CA, DN, IC, JL, KL, KU, NH, QR, SQ, TG, TK*, UA, VS

AntonioMartin

Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:44 am

TK787 wrote:
Happy New Year Turkish Aviation fans,
May 2018 bring joy and peace to you and your family.

You can find last months thread here:
viewtopic.php?p=20053043#p20053043

TK already announced Aguadilla, )

Good news for Aguadilla and for us Puerto Ricans with Etihad and Emirates cargo having just left!

Wonder if it will work, through...

mict

Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:18 am

Currently sitting in the lounge at IST, on the way back to BRU from a BRU-IST-ADB trip. Lounge is packed, the airport itself is ok, have seen much worse.

Weird to see most international gates with no aircraft at all at IST :o

On the first 2 segments of my trip, flew the 738 and found that the version without IFE is a lot more comfortable than the one with IFE, interesting since I assume the one with IFE is used mostly on longer medium-haul routes.

Flightsimboy

Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:05 am

Just completed a few legs with Turkish. No major delays and overall nice flights. Had a Rwy 23 landing but was over the wing so views were restricted. Cabin crews could be a little friendlier. There was one stellar crew on TK 17. Friendly, attentive and nohing too much to ask for. Please check out my video if you like.

https://youtu.be/TJDxw5_hwzA

jmmadrid

Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:17 am

I heard yesterday (100% gossip from an unreliable source) that TK are considering Porlamar (Margarita Island, Venezuela).
No further details in regards to frequency, starting date, whether it would be a triangular route or nonstop, etc.
Margarita is a very nice place, and despite the situation of the country, people who stay in all-inclusive resorts should be fine. Extremely cheap now due to exchange rate.
Thoughts?

leftyboarder

Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:22 am

I just flew IST-LHR on wednesday. Landings / takeoffs were southerly due to lodos I think. Our flight was delayed for up to an hour due to cabin crew checking luggage in that didn’t fit in overhead bins. I wish the check in agents did a better job in assessing cabin luggage. Interestingly, maybe due to our delay and LHR curfew, we skipped the takeoff queue and did a departure from the short runway, a first for me.

TK787
Topic Author

Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:29 am

1g wrote:

Just got off a DL international flight in Y+, close to 4 hours, only one pax ( he was a pretty tall/big guy) reclined during the entire flight.

By the way, missed that whole news about the Pegasus flight. Pictures look crazy, very lucky people on that flight that night. Can anyone confirm, any chance that plane will fly again? Thanks.

mafaky

Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:31 pm

TK787 wrote:
By the way, missed that whole news about the Pegasus flight. Pictures look crazy, very lucky people on that flight that night. Can anyone confirm, any chance that plane will fly again? Thanks.

Well, just looking at the photos taken after the recovery, it seems that the entire fuselage has not suffered any visible structural damage, except for the (left) landing gear. But the left wing seems to be in a mess and the left power plant has been soaked into seawater pretty badly (well luckily Black Sea water is not that much salty!... :x ).

I imagine the complete landing gear set plus both engines, at least one engine pylon (as expensive components )have to be replaced, and possibly much more...

However this frame can no way be repaired at TZX. In my opinion, not the slightest chance. The wings have to be separated and the hull and wings must be transported by land to SAW (in Istanbul/Turkey), at the least. A pretty long distance to transport a full length 738, I don't have the knowledge what kind of a trailer can handle this... :!: :?: But that's the nearest fully equipped MRO base, where this kind of repairs can be done... (They can't do it in ESB/Ankara; I believe!...)

This particular frame is not owned by Pegasus. Well, I know that in today's world very few airlines actually own their planes, but some planes are on "financial lease" (in which case the airline can claim ownership after the lease period, which usually is 12 years!) and others on "operational lease". You mostly know the IDs of the lessors in the second group. They lease their planes to airline (X) for say 4 years now, then re-lease to another airline (Y) for another five years, etc. I'm pretty sure you well know the system.

To make the long story short, TC-CPF is actually "owned" by a Japanese Lessor (actually a pretty big real estate lessor but also having its own aviation leasing wing...) and has leased out 2 (two) 738s (one of them being TC-CPF) and another two unidentified frames to Pegasus. In my gutfeel, Pegasus-Japanese Lessor & Insurance Company will negotiate for some time (and the damaged frame will be stored at TZX) but at the end the conclusion will be BER (=beyond economic repair). It will be a write-off (Insurance Company will gain ownership...), the frame will be scrapped and cannibalised at TZX and any usable/airworthy parts may be purchased by Pegasus or anybody willing to pay.

TK787
Topic Author

Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:07 pm

mafaky wrote:
TK787 wrote:

Well, just looking at the photos taken after the recovery, it seems that the entire fuselage has not suffered any visible structural damage, except for the (left) landing gear. But the left wing seems to be in a mess and the left power plant has been soaked into seawater pretty badly (well luckily Black Sea water is not that much salty!... :x ).

I imagine the complete landing gear set plus both engines, at least one engine pylon (as expensive components )have to be replaced, and possibly much more...

However this frame can no way be repaired at TZX. In my opinion, not the slightest chance. The wings have to be separated and the hull and wings must be transported by land to SAW (in Istanbul/Turkey), at the least. A pretty long distance to transport a full length 738, I don't have the knowledge what kind of a trailer can handle this... :!: :?: But that's the nearest fully equipped MRO base, where this kind of repairs can be done... (They can't do it in ESB/Ankara; I believe!...)

This particular frame is not owned by Pegasus. Well, I know that in today's world very few airlines actually own their planes, but some planes are on "financial lease" (in which case the airline can claim ownership after the lease period, which usually is 12 years!) and others on "operational lease". You mostly know the IDs of the lessors in the second group. They lease their planes to airline (X) for say 4 years now, then re-lease to another airline (Y) for another five years, etc. I'm pretty sure you well know the system.

To make the long story short, TC-CPF is actually "owned" by a Japanese Lessor (actually a pretty big real estate lessor but also having its own aviation leasing wing...) and has leased out 2 (two) 738s (one of them being TC-CPF) and another two unidentified frames to Pegasus. In my gutfeel, Pegasus-Japanese Lessor & Insurance Company will negotiate for some time (and the damaged frame will be stored at TZX) but at the end the conclusion will be BER (=beyond economic repair). It will be a write-off (Insurance Company will gain ownership...), the frame will be scrapped and cannibalised at TZX and any usable/airworthy parts may be purchased by Pegasus or anybody willing to pay.

Thanks Mafaky, how about stress on the main frame? Even though there is no structural visible damage on the fuselage, it must have been through some stress going down that hill, 333 landing at Kathmandu comes to mind. I guess we will know more soon enough.

mafaky

Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:09 pm

TK787 wrote:
Thanks Mafaky, how about stress on the main frame? Even though there is no structural visible damage on the fuselage, it must have been through some stress going down that hill, 333 landing at Kathmandu comes to mind. I guess we will know more soon enough.

Have really no idea about the actual possible damage on the fuselage. They should be able to reach an answer by X-raying, at TZX. Personally I don't have any firm idea with which kind of speed the plane ran into that excursion. If the speed wasn't too high (say something like 80-100 knots) he fuselage may not have received excessive stress, such as one it may receive during a belly landing! That cliff wasn't coated with stones or concrete, the muddy surface probably acted as a "cushion"; otherwise that plane could surely nose dive to Black Sea, Well, as all can see, sea is pretty shallow there; so still would be no serious casualties (assuming still no fire leapt up...) but the recovery would then be pretty difficult.

ARNbased

Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:28 pm

Hi all!

Long time reader, first time poster. Thanks all to this truly fantastic forum!

I live in Stockholm, Sweden and my base is ARN. Since I really, really like TK C, I try to fly them as much as possible on flights to Asia and the US. However, I tend to end up in older A320s with a blocked middle seat in business between IST and ARN, since TK puts these old planes on the early morning and late evening departures from/to ARN. Sure, the flight is "only" 3.5 hours and all other EU carriers have an even crappier business class with slimline seats, but the big recliners make a huge difference.

Does anyone know if TK has any plans to retrofit the old A320s with fixed C seats or if they plan to retire these old planes in the not too distant future?

Thanks! :)

Blerg

Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:50 pm

KK reduces IST-BEG from ten weekly to daily. It's really strange as the number of Turkish tourists in Serbia passed 100.000 and TK seems to be responding by increasing capacity to A332. Maybe KK needs the slots for some other route? Have they been expanding?

aldrigsomandre

Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:56 am

Blerg wrote:
KK reduces IST-BEG from ten weekly to daily. It's really strange as the number of Turkish tourists in Serbia passed 100.000 and TK seems to be responding by increasing capacity to A332. Maybe KK needs the slots for some other route? Have they been expanding?

KK has been getting rid of airframes lately. They just sent 4 A321's back to AerCap.
Based purely on this, I'm guessing they do not have enough capacity at the moment.

Blerg

Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:33 am

aldrigsomandre wrote:
Blerg wrote:

KK has been getting rid of airframes lately. They just sent 4 A321's back to AerCap.
Based purely on this, I'm guessing they do not have enough capacity at the moment.

Thank you, that makes absolute sense now. Do you know why they were getting rid of aircraft?

TK787
Topic Author

Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:11 am

ARNbased wrote:
Hi all!

Long time reader, first time poster. Thanks all to this truly fantastic forum!

I live in Stockholm, Sweden and my base is ARN. Since I really, really like TK C, I try to fly them as much as possible on flights to Asia and the US. However, I tend to end up in older A320s with a blocked middle seat in business between IST and ARN, since TK puts these old planes on the early morning and late evening departures from/to ARN. Sure, the flight is "only" 3.5 hours and all other EU carriers have an even crappier business class with slimline seats, but the big recliners make a huge difference.

Does anyone know if TK has any plans to retrofit the old A320s with fixed C seats or if they plan to retire these old planes in the not too distant future?

Thanks! :)

-Hello there and welcome. I am not sure if any plans to retrofit those. I imagine TK keeps stalling that option till the NEOs arrive and eventually get rid of the older 320s in time. It will take sometime though. I haven't been on a TK 320 for a long time :(
-On a different note altogether, recent TK JFK-IST flight on Y; 77W, 290 pax out of 349. On time, typical TK service and quality if not better than the usual. There were 14 FA's including the flying chef. Almost back to normal standards with crewing and it shows.

mafaky

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:54 pm

Hello there and welcome. I am not sure if any plans to retrofit those. I imagine TK keeps stalling that option till the NEOs arrive and eventually get rid of the older 320s in time. It will take sometime though.

The present day analysis of TK's 320/321 fleet reveal the following:
1) There are 24 a320s (all ceo's) as of today. 12 of these (the 6 oldest ones that have entered service between 2005-2007 and the 6 newest ones that have entered service between 2013-2014) are on operational lease; sooner or later these will be returned to the lessors. In fact TK's medium term fleet planning shows only 12 320s to remain in service by end 2023. These 12 remaining ones are on financial lease. All are in CY159 configuration, indicating that their business cabin is still in 3-3 config, with middle seat blocked. One of these has already been fitte with WL during 2016; others may follow... TK has no a320neo's being ordered.
2) There are 68 a321s (all ceos)as of today. Only 4 of these are on operational lease, all others are on financial lease. 30 of these latter have 16C164Y cabin config. and have "sharklets", no upper curved winglets. The other 34 have "proper" winglets; 9 frames having 16C164Y and 25 frames have 20C158Y cabin configs (as planespotters.net indicate). Seatguru site actually shows the 16C164Y a321s with 12C176Y cabins and the business class seats as 3-3 with middle seat blocked. The last WL ones (25 frames) have 20C seats in 2-2 formation and having "recliner" seats. The oldest of these 64 frames of 321s have entered service in mid 2007, the youngest in Jan 2017. TK's end 2023 fleet planning indicates none of these 64 frames will be removed from the fleet...

TK has a rather substantial order for a321noe's!...

3) One should expect that TK may likely keep all the "financial leased" a320/321 frames at the least for 15-18 years, if not longer (taking into consideration that some may also be transferred to AnadoluJet if and when this becomes a separate independent airline, though there also will be a biggish number of 738s that will be aging during the very same years).

aldrigsomandre

Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:08 pm

Blerg wrote:
aldrigsomandre wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Thank you, that makes absolute sense now. Do you know why they were getting rid of aircraft?

With my limited Turkish, I have read through a couple of Turkish aviation websites, the word on the street is that KK may stop scheduled services all together and become a charter airline flying out of Antalya. Apparently, they have 11 operational aircraft at the moment. This is a comment from another reader of the website and should be taken with a grain of salt.

The KK website shows a 25-strong fleet at the moment.

As far as I know, besides Air Serbia, KK codeshares with KLM and Air France. If they stop scheduled services, I wonder if the codeshare partners would step up their game and add extra flights. Highly unlikely, considering the ongoing exodus of foreign airlines out of IST.

Blerg

Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:30 pm

aldrigsomandre wrote:
Blerg wrote:
aldrigsomandre wrote:

With my limited Turkish, I have read through a couple of Turkish aviation websites, the word on the street is that KK may stop scheduled services all together and become a charter airline flying out of Antalya. Apparently, they have 11 operational aircraft at the moment. This is a comment from another reader of the website and should be taken with a grain of salt.

As far as I know, besides Air Serbia, KK codeshares with KLM and Air France. If they stop scheduled services, I wonder if the codeshare partners would step up their game and add extra flights. Highly unlikely, considering the ongoing exodus of foreign airlines out of IST.

Thank you for that. I know JU is looking at going back to IST so maybe this would be a good reason to actually do it. Btw KK code-shares on JU's flight to JFK as well.

Yakamoz

Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:20 pm

mafaky wrote:
1) There are 24 a320s (all ceo's) as of today. 12 of these (the 6 oldest ones that have entered service between 2005-2007 and the 6 newest ones that have entered service between 2013-2014) are on operational lease; sooner or later these will be returned to the lessors. In fact TK's medium term fleet planning shows only 12 320s to remain in service by end 2023. These 12 remaining ones are on financial lease. All are in CY159 configuration, indicating that their business cabin is still in 3-3 config, with middle seat blocked. One of these has already been fitte with WL during 2016; others may follow... TK has no a320neo's being ordered.

Some adding:

The 12 operational lease birds will leave until end of 2019 (5 2018, 7 2019). As of September 2017, 2 of the remaining 12 birds are now owned, no longer in financial lease.

mafaky wrote:
2) There are 68 a321s (all ceos)as of today. Only 4 of these are on operational lease, all others are on financial lease. 30 of these latter have 16C164Y cabin config. and have "sharklets", no upper curved winglets. The other 34 have "proper" winglets; 9 frames having 16C164Y and 25 frames have 20C158Y cabin configs (as planespotters.net indicate). Seatguru site actually shows the 16C164Y a321s with 12C176Y cabins and the business class seats as 3-3 with middle seat blocked. The last WL ones (25 frames) have 20C seats in 2-2 formation and having "recliner" seats. The oldest of these 64 frames of 321s have entered service in mid 2007, the youngest in Jan 2017. TK's end 2023 fleet planning indicates none of these 64 frames will be removed from the fleet...

TK has a rather substantial order for a321noe's!...

TK has sold last year 2 A321 (don't know which frames) and lease back, so there are 6 on operational lease, 62 in financial lease.

13 A321 with CY194 configuration, no Sharklets
6 A321 with C20Y158 and 15 A321 with C16Y164 configuration, no Sharklets
25 A321 with C20Y158 and 9 A321 with C16Y164 configuration, with Sharklets

156 A321s by end of 2023, amazing number!

mafaky wrote:
3) One should expect that TK may likely keep all the "financial leased" a320/321 frames at the least for 15-18 years, if not longer (taking into consideration that some may also be transferred to AnadoluJet if and when this becomes a separate independent airline, though there also will be a biggish number of 738s that will be aging during the very same years).

There are time by time some A320s which are flying for Anadolujet.

globetrotter94

Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:00 pm

Just out of curiosity, with the recent news about TK carrying 1M passengers from Israel, does anybody know the full list of countries where TK is either the largest airline by passengers carried or the largest foreign airline by passengers carried? I would expect the list to be larger than one would think, with candidates like Georgia, B&H, etc. in addition to of course Turkey and Israel?
6E, 9W, AF, AI, BA, BI, CA, DN, IC, JL, KL, KU, NH, QR, SQ, TG, TK*, UA, VS

aldrigsomandre

Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:27 pm

Blerg wrote:
aldrigsomandre wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Thank you for that. I know JU is looking at going back to IST so maybe this would be a good reason to actually do it. Btw KK code-shares on JU's flight to JFK as well.

I did not know that they were looking at restarting services to IST. I have had good experiences when flying the second leg of SYD-AUH-BEG with them a few times. I think JU needs new aircraft to be able to scale their operations. A combination of 320's and C100's might be perfect for IST and many other cities.

Blerg

Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:28 pm

globetrotter94 wrote:
Just out of curiosity, with the recent news about TK carrying 1M passengers from Israel, does anybody know the full list of countries where TK is either the largest airline by passengers carried or the largest foreign airline by passengers carried? I would expect the list to be larger than one would think, with candidates like Georgia, B&H, etc. in addition to of course Turkey and Israel?

Bosnia might have been the case up until Wizz Air started expanding in Tuzla. I think they are also number two in SKP right after W6.

Blerg

Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:56 pm

Serbian CAD refused to grant TK the right to send its A330 to BEG from March 1st.

jmmadrid

Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:48 pm

Blerg wrote:
Serbian CAD refused to grant TK the right to send its A330 to BEG from March 1st.

Is this to protect ATLASGLOBAL/AIR SERBIA's joint flight from BEG to SAW?

aldrigsomandre

Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:49 pm

jmmadrid wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Atlas flies from IST not SAW.

jmmadrid

Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:50 pm

OK, but the question still stands... is it just to protect other airlines or are there any other reasons?

Blerg

Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:53 pm

jmmadrid wrote:
Blerg wrote:

KK flies from IST and they seem to be full all the time. This is to protect JU which is planning its return to IST. That said, I am sure TK will not give up on this. Every year there is a political crisis between Belgrade and Ankara when it comes to aviation, either because of charters or regular flights.
Currently there is a very restrictive ASA which bans anything larger than a B739/A321 to fly between the two countries.

A few years ago JU wanted to switch from SAW to IST and the issue was resolved only when the foreign minister intervened and TK had to give up some slots.

mict

Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:13 am

Sam Chui released a very nice TK review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1irB6l4WnQc

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos