pdt2f

Re: What's Going On In Nashville? - 2018

Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:49 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
pdt2f wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
ADrum23 wrote:

It appears they are doing away with BNA-MIA mainline as of June 8th. Perhaps they are shifting the 737 used there to BNA-ORD?

That’s what I’m thinking. I would guess that Nashville has much more business connection with Chicago than Miami, so they probably wanted the full sized plane for the bigger business market. Much of MIA from BNA is probably leisure traffic, and WN dominates that south Florida leisure flow from Nashville.

I know I’d rather use WN to FLL than AA to MIA anyday.

With the emergence of the CLT hub, MIA isn’t super important for AA anymore, and ORD indeed has much more traffic. They really should be putting two 737s on the route, a morning and a evening, but I’ll take this for now.

Amen to that, if you’re flying Y domestically there’s really no reason to not fly WN from BNA.

ADrum23

Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:18 pm

pdt2f wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
pdt2f wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]

That’s what I’m thinking. I would guess that Nashville has much more business connection with Chicago than Miami, so they probably wanted the full sized plane for the bigger business market. Much of MIA from BNA is probably leisure traffic, and WN dominates that south Florida leisure flow from Nashville.

With the emergence of the CLT hub, MIA isn’t super important for AA anymore, and ORD indeed has much more traffic. They really should be putting two 737s on the route, a morning and a evening, but I’ll take this for now.

Amen to that, if you’re flying Y domestically there’s really no reason to not fly WN from BNA.

For me, I typically like to fly into the main airport in a particular city. If I am flying to Chicago or Dallas/Fort Worth, I'd personally rather fly into ORD and DFW respectively, so that would be on AA (there's also UA to ORD, but UA is terrible. Not that AA is much better, but it is at least more tolerable). MIA is the only exception to that rule as MIA is really small, dated and crowded.

jplatts

Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:37 pm

pdt2f wrote:

I agree with your point for most of the routes out of BNA. However, DL has nonstop service to CVG and SLC from BNA, but WN does not serve CVG or SLC nonstop from BNA.

EWR, SFO, and IAD all have nonstop service from BNA on UA but not on WN. However, WN does have nonstop service to LGA, OAK, DCA, and BWI from BNA.

pdt2f

Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:02 pm

jplatts wrote:
pdt2f wrote:

I agree with your point for most of the routes out of BNA. However, DL has nonstop service to CVG and SLC from BNA, but WN does not serve CVG or SLC nonstop from BNA.

EWR, SFO, and IAD all have nonstop service from BNA on UA but not on WN. However, WN does have nonstop service to LGA, OAK, DCA, and BWI from BNA.

You make a good point. I suppose I should amend my statement to say “If you’re flying domestically and WN flies direct to your destination, there’s really no benefit to fly another airline, price reasons excluded.”

pdt2f

Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:03 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
pdt2f wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

For me, I typically like to fly into the main airport in a particular city. If I am flying to Chicago or Dallas/Fort Worth, I'd personally rather fly into ORD and DFW respectively, so that would be on AA (there's also UA to ORD, but UA is terrible. Not that AA is much better, but it is at least more tolerable). MIA is the only exception to that rule as MIA is really small, dated and crowded.

I tend to try and fly to the airport most conveniently located to my final destination, unless price and convenience of timing makes that too much of a burden.

EvanWSFO

Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:45 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
pdt2f wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]

Isn’t capacity up on BNA-DFW as 738s replace S80s? That lessens the importance of MIA as a connecting point.

It is, and they’ve added the eighth frequency back. I’ll be curious to see if they keep it at eight 737s once the MD80s are fully retired.

I'm new here, but some friends of mine in Dallas, said AA plans to put a couple of A319s on the route when the M80's are gone. At least for certain periods of time.

pdt2f

Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:07 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Isn’t capacity up on BNA-DFW as 738s replace S80s? That lessens the importance of MIA as a connecting point.

It is, and they’ve added the eighth frequency back. I’ll be curious to see if they keep it at eight 737s once the MD80s are fully retired.

I'm new here, but some friends of mine in Dallas, said AA plans to put a couple of A319s on the route when the M80's are gone. At least for certain periods of time.

That makes sense, capacity-wise. I’ve noticed recently that American has been running a few 738’s on CLT-BNA. Maybe they’ll be shifting the 319’s they normally use to DFW eventually?

ADrum23

Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:35 pm

pdt2f wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

That makes sense, capacity-wise. I’ve noticed recently that American has been running a few 738’s on CLT-BNA. Maybe they’ll be shifting the 319’s they normally use to DFW eventually?

As I stated earlier, they are throwing a 319 on BNA-PHL in June as well. My guess is BNA-PHL will become all 319s and E75s eventually.

Maybe if they get these used 319s they are talking about, they can throw one on one of the evening BNA-ORD frequencies.

southwest1675

Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:03 pm

Nice to see AA give BNA a little bit of love this summer. I wonder what else we'll see in the following months.

pdt2f

Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:23 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
Nice to see AA give BNA a little bit of love this summer. I wonder what else we'll see in the following months.

Hopefully when WN releases their next schedule expansion in a few days we’ll see a new route or two. Unlikely, but possible.

evank516

Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:26 pm

pdt2f wrote:
jplatts wrote:
pdt2f wrote:

You make a good point. I suppose I should amend my statement to say “If you’re flying domestically and WN flies direct to your destination, there’s really no benefit to fly another airline, price reasons excluded.”

Or just whatever perks you get on another airline. If I'm going to BNA I know I could get a nonstop from LGA on WN, but I don't like WN and I get perks with DL, so I fly DL.

pdt2f

Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:36 pm

evank516 wrote:
pdt2f wrote:
jplatts wrote:

Or just whatever perks you get on another airline. If I'm going to BNA I know I could get a nonstop from LGA on WN, but I don't like WN and I get perks with DL, so I fly DL.

Very good point. I suppose I’m just a WN fan ;)

evank516

Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:42 pm

pdt2f wrote:
evank516 wrote:
pdt2f wrote:

Very good point. I suppose I’m just a WN fan ;)

All good! Everyone has their airline of choice when they fly, and WN is a very common sense choice for BNA. However when it comes to me it's either DL or B6 every time. If B6 ever restarts JFK-BNA then I'll be flying them to Nashville. For now, it's Delta.

southwest1675

Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:03 pm

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/ ... 395578002/ Here comes G4 or NK

That MYR commercial teasing nonstop flights is probably coming into place here.

ADrum23

Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:28 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2018/03/05/nashville-air-port-bna-new-airline-destinations/395578002/ Here comes G4 or NK

It’s probably G4. NK doesn’t really start new stations around this time of year.

southwest1675

Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:33 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2018/03/05/nashville-air-port-bna-new-airline-destinations/395578002/ Here comes G4 or NK

It’s probably G4. NK doesn’t really start new stations around this time of year.

I’m going with Allegiant as well. Southwest loves to respond to them, so maybe this will get them to expand a little more, or at least faster. This overall is a good thing for Nashville.

DakotaFlyer

Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:33 pm

I dont understand what Allegiant offers Nashville beside more competition? Is Nashville the destinationor will it be the same orlando, vegas, mesa, tampa, as other Allegiant cities?

southwest1675

Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:40 pm

DakotaFlyer wrote:
I dont understand what Allegiant offers Nashville beside more competition? Is Nashville the destinationor will it be the same orlando, vegas, mesa, tampa, as other Allegiant cities?

The article says it’ll add 5 new destinations to Nashville. I could see MYR, SFB, PGD, PIE, and FLL/Something Else

pdt2f

Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:24 pm

I’d much prefer Spirit but Allegiant makes more sense. Especially since they usually offer flights like 1-3 days per week, much less gate space needed than if it was 5 daily flights.

UALFAson

Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:44 pm

ADrum23 wrote:

If this schedule is accurate, there are a few other things of note.

1. It looks like BNA is losing AA mainline to MIA and it is going all E75. Not a big deal if you ask me, MIA is not as important of a AA hub, it is more important we have mainline to the major connecting markets such as DFW, ORD, CLT, PHL, etc.

2. One of the BNA-PHL frequencies is being upgauged to a A319, so it looks like mainline will stay even after the E190s are retired.

3. BNA-DFW is back to all mainline, a mixture of 737's and MD80's.

1. I don't understand why AA even upgauged that one MIA r/t to mainline anyway, and certainly to the size of a 737. They were offering stupid cheap fares from the East Coast to BNA via a MIA connection instead of CLT. I did a mileage run that way in December to hit Platinum and there were several people on the late night MIA-BNA nonstop doing the same thing because it was so cheap.

This market is more dependent on frequency on E-175s to businesspeople who need to go into downtown MIA. The masses of vacationers are (mostly) flying WN (or B6) to FLL.

2. This makes sense with AA's efforts to prioritize PHL as their European hub. I'm just thankful they finally took CRJ-200s off the route. Awful!

3. Not surprising. That one-off E-175 must have been for positioning purposes or some other internal logistical reason. There's too much connecting volume on that route to offer anything but mainline.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

flymco753

Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:47 pm

As much as I hate to say it, I think it's G4. I also hate to say this probably will keep NK out because Spirit is very conservative and cautious with their route planning, and dipping into a market where there'd be little to no gain is not in their interest.

In the mean time, it's great to see BNA getting a new airline with some expansion. It's well needed since things have been quiet lately.
Resort, and other ground transportation options are on level 1.

*Future Route Network Planner*

ADrum23

Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:38 pm

DakotaFlyer wrote:

Well, Allegiant serves every single major market surrounding Nashville and all of BNA’s similar sized peer airports, yet, they are completely absent from Nashville. It is high time for them to get here.

southwest1675

Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:03 pm

On a different note, you think we’ll see B6 add JFK and MCO from BNA?

evank516

Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:40 pm

southwest1675 wrote:

It certainly would do me some good, and I don't think the answer is no I think it's just not right now.

Jshank83

Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:59 pm

southwest1675 wrote:

I would doubt it is Sun Country but they have been announcing expansions lately, MYR being one of them.

HeyHey

Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:43 pm

I would welcome G4 from a personal perspective. We have three kids and flying to most places for a trip is expensive. Plane tickets alone can represent 2/3 of the total trip cost with that many kids, so we are very price conscious when traveling with them.

I do wonder if they could develop Nashville into one of their featured destinations and not just take Nashvillians on vacation.

ADrum23

Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:55 pm

southwest1675 wrote:

JFK, yes. MCO, no. BNA could use more mainline service to NYC, WN is the only one right now with flights to LGA. DL and AA are all RJ's, and I wouldn't be surprised if AA cut BNA-JFK at some point if they continue to scale back TATL flying in JFK.

MCO is already well served by WN, and if G4 comes in on Wednesday, then forget about it.

ADrum23

Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:03 am

flymco753 wrote:
As much as I hate to say it, I think it's G4. I also hate to say this probably will keep NK out because Spirit is very conservative and cautious with their route planning, and dipping into a market where there'd be little to no gain is not in their interest.

In the mean time, it's great to see BNA getting a new airline with some expansion. It's well needed since things have been quiet lately.

I see NK coming someday, but whether it will be on its own or via a merger with F9 (yes, I believe that is a matter of when, not if) remains to be seen.

flymco753

Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:23 am

ADrum23 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

I see NK coming someday, but whether it will be on its own or via a merger with F9 (yes, I believe that is a matter of when, not if) remains to be seen.
If this announcement is G4 it’ll become more of an if as oppose to a when, that’s where I stand.

ADrum23

Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:24 am

UALFAson wrote:
I don't understand why AA even upgauged that one MIA r/t to mainline anyway, and certainly to the size of a 737. They were offering stupid cheap fares from the East Coast to BNA via a MIA connection instead of CLT. I did a mileage run that way in December to hit Platinum and there were several people on the late night MIA-BNA nonstop doing the same thing because it was so cheap.

This market is more dependent on frequency on E-175s to businesspeople who need to go into downtown MIA. The masses of vacationers are (mostly) flying WN (or B6) to FLL.

Yeah, never really understood why they upgauged BNA-MIA, but not BNA-ORD until now. With CLT now in the picture, I'd argue MIA isn't really that significant for AA anymore save for a few Latin America connections. FLL is the better airport for domestic/vacation travelers. E75s are fine on BNA-MIA. BNA-ORD on the other hand is more important as there is more connections at ORD, and since UA and WN (to MDW) already run A319/737's on that route, AA needed to follow suit at some point.

tys777

Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:26 am

No matter whom the new airline (G4) is, what gate and where are they getting ticket counter space?

flymco753

Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:30 am

ADrum23 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

If this announcement is G4 it’ll become more of an if as oppose to a when, that’s where I stand.

BNA may not have the gate space for NK right now. They are tight as it is and if G4 comes, they'll be even tighter and this is with major construction around the corner.

Anyway, like I said, I believe NK will soon merge with F9 anyway, and if that happens, NK (assuming it is the surviving brand) will come by default.
I don’t think they’ll merge, 2 different power plants and completely different route structures. NK is conservative with routes where F9 uses the dartboard method. If NK did merge with F9, and it stayed F9. It’s all eyes on Florida, DTW, ORD, DEN, and LAS.

ADrum23

Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:31 am

flymco753 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

BNA may not have the gate space for NK right now. They are tight as it is and if G4 comes, they'll be even tighter and this is with major construction around the corner.

Anyway, like I said, I believe NK will soon merge with F9 anyway, and if that happens, NK (assuming it is the surviving brand) will come by default.

afcjets

Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:37 am

ADrum23 wrote:

I would not call the busiest airport in the state,the 12th busiest airport in the nation, and the airport with the most airlines in the entire Western hemisphere small. AA's terminal is only ~10 years old and has 51 gates and is very modern.

southwest1675

Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:17 am

I think this new airline will take Wright Travel's spot.

afcjets

Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:32 am

afcjets wrote:

I would not call the busiest airport in the state,the 12th busiest airport in the nation, and the airport with the most airlines in the entire Western hemisphere small. AA's terminal is only ~10 years old and has 51 gates and is very modern.

Correction: MIA is no longer the airport with the most airlines.

southwest1675

Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:28 am

On a random note, I predict WN will have added SJC PDX IND RIC CVG from BNA within 3 years.

ADrum23

Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:30 am

afcjets wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

Clarification: I meant small footprint wise (acreage wise, it is smaller than BNA), not small busy wise.

But MIA is not at all convenient for connections.

ADrum23

Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:45 am

southwest1675 wrote:
On a random note, I predict WN will have added SJC PDX IND RIC CVG from BNA within 3 years.

CVG I don’t think is happening. Too close and not enough of a market. The existing DL service is barely full and that’s with one CR7!

PDX will be interesting. It is a tossup between WN and AS as to who starts it.

AVLAirlineFreq

Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:16 am

HeyHey wrote:

I do wonder if they could develop Nashville into one of their featured destinations and not just take Nashvillians on vacation.

Could be very much like what we have here in AVL, which is basically a bi-directional flow of pax.

pdt2f

Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:32 am

ADrum23 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

CVG I don’t think is happening. Too close and not enough of a market. The existing DL service is barely full and that’s with one CR7!

I think a WN flight 2x a day could totally work for CVG. The DL flight is expensive, a more reasonably priced WN service could work well, especially considering how cheap WN flights to legacy hubs tend to be (CLT, MSP, BOS). Plus WN travelers from CVG would use BNA as a connection point.

southwest1675

Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:12 am

ADrum23 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Alaska just cut PDX-STL

Bluegrass60

Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:39 pm

I suspect Allegiant will announce service to BNA tomorrow with 5 destinations. Will be interesting to see which destinations as WN likely will be the competing carrier on the routes. (I predict: Sanford, PIE, SAV, Punta Gorda and Destin)

Speaking of WN, why would they add 5 daily flights between BNA-ATL? There is NO WAY the healthcare community in Nashville or Atlanta could ever fill all those seats on a route that competes favorably with the automobile. The one hour flight combined with minimum 1 hour drive on both ends (more in ATL) = 3 hours. Drive time is 3 1/2 hours and you have your car to get around. If they are driving connecting traffic.... From the ATL perspective, why would anyone in ATL want to connect in BNA?? (DL does operate the biggest connecting hub in the world at ATL).

Maybe someone smarter than me can explain why WN would do this?

southwest1675

Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:53 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:
I suspect Allegiant will announce service to BNA tomorrow with 5 destinations. Will be interesting to see which destinations as WN likely will be the competing carrier on the routes. (I predict: Sanford, PIE, SAV, Punta Gorda and Destin)

Speaking of WN, why would they add 5 daily flights between BNA-ATL? There is NO WAY the healthcare community in Nashville or Atlanta could ever fill all those seats on a route that competes favorably with the automobile. The one hour flight combined with minimum 1 hour drive on both ends (more in ATL) = 3 hours. Drive time is 3 1/2 hours and you have your car to get around. If they are driving connecting traffic.... From the ATL perspective, why would anyone in ATL want to connect in BNA?? (DL does operate the biggest connecting hub in the world at ATL).

They might be starting a shift of passengers to come through BNA mainly rather than ATL. You'll probably see an explosion of O&D traffic on this route. Delta lowered their fares, but in a lot of cases, Southwest is much cheaper on this route. The schedule works with the business traveler in mind. There's places WN can get you to from ATL, that you can't get in BNA. It works the other way around too. I doubt it'll last 5x daily, but I could see 3-4 daily. I think this route will do well for them.

tphuang

Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:08 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

JFK, yes. MCO, no. BNA could use more mainline service to NYC, WN is the only one right now with flights to LGA. DL and AA are all RJ's, and I wouldn't be surprised if AA cut BNA-JFK at some point if they continue to scale back TATL flying in JFK.

MCO is already well served by WN, and if G4 comes in on Wednesday, then forget about it.

I wonder if sju is possible. B6 has added sju back to pre Maria capacity. All the other major airport in the south east have flights to sju now including rdu which is probably most comparable to bna.

southwest1675

Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:16 pm

tphuang wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

I wonder if sju is possible. B6 has added sju back to pre Maria capacity. All the other major airport in the south east have flights to sju now including rdu which is probably most comparable to bna.

AA used to run SJU-BNA

msycajun

Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:18 pm

I could definitely see NK adding BNA. They were supposed to have another new city to announce and they have been opening stations with several flights at a time. If it's anything like CMH, I'd expect some combination of MCO, LAS, TPA, FLL, MYR, MSY and RSW, maybe ORD.

southwest1675

Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:21 pm

msycajun wrote:
I could definitely see NK adding BNA. They were supposed to have another new city to announce and they have been opening stations with several flights at a time. If it's anything like CMH, I'd expect some combination of MCO, LAS, TPA, FLL, MYR, MSY and RSW, maybe ORD.

I would like to see NK come to BNA, but the article said 5 new destinations that we don't already have. Not sure what Spirit could do that's "new" to Nashville. That's why I think it's G4.

Bluegrass60

Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:55 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
Bluegrass60 wrote:

They might be starting a shift of passengers to come through BNA mainly rather than ATL. You'll probably see an explosion of O&D traffic on this route. Delta lowered their fares, but in a lot of cases, Southwest is much cheaper on this route. The schedule works with the business traveler in mind. There's places WN can get you to from ATL, that you can't get in BNA. It works the other way around too. I doubt it'll last 5x daily, but I could see 3-4 daily. I think this route will do well for them.

I dunno....if I am a DL FF....am gonna stick with Delta for the miles....and they provide 11 flights/day. I like WN...but do not see how this works...ever.

pdt2f

Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:19 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
Bluegrass60 wrote:

I dunno....if I am a DL FF....am gonna stick with Delta for the miles....and they provide 11 flights/day. I like WN...but do not see how this works...ever.

WN is banking on price conscious business travelers, connections, regular hub-to-hub traffic, and I think they’re speculating that there’s a market that exists if the price is lower than what DL offers. My wife and I are already planning to fly several times to ATL using WN for conventions, etc; and we never would have spent 5x as much to use the DL service, which is almost 100% for connections. Plus you have to keep in mind that if you live in Nashville and you have a morning appointment in Atlanta, it’s not a 3.5 hour drive. Or if you’re coming back to Nashville in the evening. Traffic in both cities is that bad, to where I’d rather fly there and back in one day for the convenience. If there’s markets between places that are geographically close like Houston-Dallas, New York-Boston-DC, Detroit-Chicago; then I think there’s a market for ATL and BNA and room enough for different carriers and options.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos