southwest1675

Re: What's Going On In Nashville? - 2018

Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:04 pm

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
This story in USA Today says that everything but PGD is seasonal: https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/f ... 401908002/.

BNA-RIC on G4 is really random, but we'll know soon enough whether it works. G4 ain't shy about pulling the plug.

The top of the article says things will be seasonal, but then if you scroll down, it says others will be year round. Also says BNA-SFB is added.

It's a mess. I can't make heads or tails of it.

For sure. Other sources are showing a lot of seasonal service, but I guess we'll know at the press conference today.

Cubsrule

Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:06 pm

tys777 wrote:
UALFAson wrote:
tys777 wrote:
VPS M/F arrives BNA 3:24pm departs BNA 4:09pm
MYR M/F arrives BNA 12:51pm departs BNA 5:48pm
PGD Sun/Th arrives BNA 2:30pm departs BNA 7:53pm
RIC Sun/Th arrives BNA 7:18pm departs BNA 3:15pm
SAV M/F arrives BNA 5:03pm departs BNA 1:36pm

Who is the world is going to take these twice weekly flights? BNA is either a Monday morning-Thursday evening business market or a Thurs/Fri night-Sunday night leisure market.

I would if I were still local, but I get 6 1/2 weeks of pto and can afford a midweek vacation.

I don't think the Friday to Monday vacations are a hard sell, especially VPS and MYR.

RIC still has me confused, I know that the airport wanted it, but how is that going to work? BNA originating passengers? Or RIC passengers wanting to visit the music city? God knows its not aimed at business travelers.

Note that RIC is not a terrible schedule for a three-day weekend in Nashville either. I expect that G4 intends to move some traffic both ways on that route. RIC could arguably be an alternate for D.C.-bound leisure traffic.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

pdt2f

Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:14 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
This story in USA Today says that everything but PGD is seasonal: https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/f ... 401908002/.

BNA-RIC on G4 is really random, but we'll know soon enough whether it works. G4 ain't shy about pulling the plug.

The top of the article says things will be seasonal, but then if you scroll down, it says others will be year round. Also says BNA-SFB is added.

I see where that is; they just forgot to bold “Punta Cana” above where it says “Nashville”, below Orlando-Sanford.

southwest1675

Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:32 pm

I think I might book BNA-RIC sometime soon to check it out. I'm very curious to see if this flight will work. G4 adding these destinations are ones AA did back in the day.

HeyHey

Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:47 pm

Yeah, it looks like the author of the article made a mistake. SFB still isn't listed on the website, so I think this is a mistake to say it was added as well.

I wish they would have done something a little more forceful than just 2x weekly service to these destinations. For many people that inflexibility in schedules makes it tough to use them. For example, my kids' fall break is a Wednesday-Sunday, but most of the flights leave Nashville on a Thursday or Friday which prevents us from using them. Of course, there will be some people who can make it work.

Hopefully this is just an introduction to G4 in Nashville. I suspect there will be increased frequencies next year once word gets out that they are here. Long term, the biggest benefit to Nashville would be if G4 turns Nashville into a destination. I think the demand is there from certain places to support well-timed long weekend trips to Nashville.

SunsetLimited

Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:59 pm

This is G4 in a nutshell.

Keep an eye on the year-round routes. They might not be fully year-round, ultimately (ie, won't operate at all between late August - early October, but they are still called year-round). Also, the seasonal routes can have their service length shortened or lengthened on a whim. Overall from my experience it's just not a terribly dependable airline - and just hope your flight isn't CXLD, because the next option would be the next departure date.

Happy to see more ULCC service to BNA, but I wish it was NK as opposed to G4. Soon, hopefully.
Spread hope like fire.

william

Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:13 pm

SunsetLimited wrote:

Keep an eye on the year-round routes. They might not be fully year-round, ultimately (ie, won't operate at all between late August - early October, but they are still called year-round). Also, the seasonal routes can have their service length shortened or lengthened on a whim. Overall from my experience it's just not a terribly dependable airline - and just hope your flight isn't CXLD, because the next option would be the next departure date.

Happy to see more ULCC service to BNA, but I wish it was NK as opposed to G4. Soon, hopefully.

Sorry you had a bad experience with them, you are right about being in a jam if the once day flight is cancelled, but the same has been said with Spirit too. My experience was the opposite of yours, a little better than with the majors (flight arrived 20 minutes early). Especially if one has to go to a funeral and buy a ticket at the last second. G4 is a blessing if it flies to where you are going.

Knowing how late the Sunset Limited is into New Orleans three days a week, you must have high tolerance for airlines being on time. :) :) :)

tys777

Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:13 pm

Here is the other thing with G4. Had a family member fly TYS-LAS years ago. A month or so before the trip, G4 switched the flight days. They (G4) proactively booked his hotel for an additional day at no cost to him, so he got a free night in LAS.

I once flew TYS-FLL on them and got a free waiver to a later flight due to a hurricane elsewhere in FL (I was driving to the hurricane area) even though FLL wasn't part of a waiver program by the airline. No fees, no fare difference.

With all the things you hear about G4 they aren't as horrible as people make them out to be. Do the long delays suck? Yes, but they try everything in their power not to fully cancel flights.

SunsetLimited

Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:21 pm

william wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:

Sorry you had a bad experience with them, you are right about being in a jam if the once day flight is cancelled, but the same has been said with Spirit too. My experience was the opposite of yours, a little better than with the majors (flight arrived 20 minutes early). Especially if one has to go to a funeral and buy a ticket at the last second. G4 is a blessing if it flies to where you are going.

Knowing how late the Sunset Limited is into New Orleans three days a week, you must have high tolerance for airlines being on time. :) :) :)

This is true! Certainly, G4 service is better than no service at all. Hopefully the reliability will continue to improve.

Regarding the SL comment - ha, spot on. Though it was much worse ten years ago lol.
Spread hope like fire.

southwest1675

Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:23 pm

If all goes well, I could definitely see them build a solid destination here.

TYSflyer

Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:27 pm

tys777 wrote:
Here is the other thing with G4. Had a family member fly TYS-LAS years ago. A month or so before the trip, G4 switched the flight days. They (G4) proactively booked his hotel for an additional day at no cost to him, so he got a free night in LAS.

I once flew TYS-FLL on them and got a free waiver to a later flight due to a hurricane elsewhere in FL (I was driving to the hurricane area) even though FLL wasn't part of a waiver program by the airline. No fees, no fare difference.

With all the things you hear about G4 they aren't as horrible as people make them out to be. Do the long delays suck? Yes, but they try everything in their power not to fully cancel flights.

Completely agree! I get tired of the diatribe of complaints about them. I have flown them numerous times through the years and in general have had a very good experience. I feel it is not much different than flying economy on the legacies.

ADrum23

Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:52 pm

Serious question, what took so long for G4 to get here?

southwest1675

Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:02 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
Serious question, what took so long for G4 to get here?

My guess is that they were scared of the heavy WN presence.

Bluegrass60

Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:07 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
Bluegrass60 wrote:
Question for the BNA experts. What % of PAX at BNA are connecting? What % of PAX at BNA are leisure/vacation? Thanks

I don’t know exact figures, but I’ve always heard the O&D numbers are great out of BNA.

Am sure BNA O&D are strong. is connecting traffic 50% of current annual PAX?

Bluegrass60

Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:07 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
Bluegrass60 wrote:
Question for the BNA experts. What % of PAX at BNA are connecting? What % of PAX at BNA are leisure/vacation? Thanks

I don’t know exact figures, but I’ve always heard the O&D numbers are great out of BNA.

pdt2f

Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:46 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
Bluegrass60 wrote:

I would wager its waaaaay lower than 50%. WN is the only airline that connecting serious amounts of pax at BNA and probably no more than 20% of their total BNA pax are connecting.

Bluegrass60

Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:03 pm

pdt2f wrote:
Bluegrass60 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

I would wager its waaaaay lower than 50%. WN is the only airline that connecting serious amounts of pax at BNA and probably no more than 20% of their total BNA pax are connecting.

Maybe it is...and Nashville has been growing...but the pax growth at BNA is much higher than the population growth would warrant...therefor they must be connecting larger % of pax thru BNA. If I were to guess would think it is in the 35%-45% range

Cubsrule

Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:25 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:
pdt2f wrote:
Bluegrass60 wrote:

Maybe it is...and Nashville has been growing...but the pax growth at BNA is much higher than the population growth would warrant...therefor they must be connecting larger % of pax thru BNA. If I were to guess would think it is in the 35%-45% range

You might take a look at inbound tourism numbers, which aren't very connected with population growth. While WN doubtless connects more passengers than they did 10 years ago, I'm not sure that the percentage has changed that much. In markets where WN has added service, O&D numbers are up dramatically; BNA-MSP nearly doubled between Q314 and Q317 (from about 170 PDEW to about 300)
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

TYSflyer

Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:35 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:
pdt2f wrote:
Bluegrass60 wrote:

I doubt it is that high but it would be interesting to see the numbers. I think the growth at BNA is probably multifactorial with tourism being a big driver. I do think passengers driving from nearby cities is playing a role. Anecdotally speaking the number of people driving from Knoxville to Nashville to catch cheaper flights seems to be increasing. An interesting stat I saw in the Boston thread was that since the glut of nonstop flights on BNA-BOS that 3 of the top 10 largest drops in PDEW to BOS were SDF, HSV and TYS. Passengers are in constant search for cheaper, nonstop flights and are willing to drive several hours seeking those. BNA continues to capitalize on these markets having higher fares and fewer choices.

southwest1675

Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:42 pm

I flew DTW-BNA on WN and the couple next to me drove from HSV. BNA really does draw pax from other airports in the region.

HeyHey

Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:19 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:
pdt2f wrote:
Bluegrass60 wrote:

WN carries ~55% of the passengers in and out of BNA. Of WN's passengers, I would guess somewhere between 15-20% are connecting based on nothing other than my experiences of flying WN out of BNA. Assuming that all of the other airlines have essentially no connecting passengers at BNA (and my 15-20% number is accurate) then around 8-11% of the total passengers through BNA are connecting. BNA had 14.1 million passengers in 2017 total, meaning ~1.4 million were connecting and 12.7 million were O&D.

Nashville draws from a huge area. I am from Western Kentucky and my wife is from Norther Alabama, both of which overwhelmingly have residents traveling to BNA. BNA was Western Kentucky's airport in my mind, even prior to moving to Nashville. Places like Evansville, IN, Knoxville, Jackson, TN, and Chattanooga also have significant leakage into BNA because of the nonstops offered. The hospitality industry is also massive, although it flies under the radar. There are more hotel rooms in the Nashville MSA than in the MSAs of New Orleans or St Louis and roughly equivalent to the Denver MSA. That's a lot of people coming in and out of the city, a good number of which fly.

ADrum23

Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:44 am

I thought I read somewhere BNA has no more than 30% connecting traffic, and almost all of it comes from WN. Don't quote me on that though. You'd think that WN would make BNA a larger station with more connections in order to better compete with the DL hub at ATL and AA at CLT, but I guess they feel STL is better for them.

antoniemey

Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:50 am

HeyHey wrote:
Nashville draws from a huge area. I am from Western Kentucky and my wife is from Norther Alabama, both of which overwhelmingly have residents traveling to BNA. BNA was Western Kentucky's airport in my mind, even prior to moving to Nashville. Places like Evansville, IN, Knoxville, Jackson, TN, and Chattanooga also have significant leakage into BNA because of the nonstops offered. The hospitality industry is also massive, although it flies under the radar. There are more hotel rooms in the Nashville MSA than in the MSAs of New Orleans or St Louis and roughly equivalent to the Denver MSA. That's a lot of people coming in and out of the city, a good number of which fly.

And with all that hotel capacity, rarely will you find an open room last minute for anything near a reasonable price, so it's all getting used.

One of the biggest brain shifts I had to make when transferring out of BNA was to being the smaller city using a nearby larger city to reroute people, rather than the larger city where people ended up when they couldn't get to their smaller destination a couple of hours away.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

pdt2f

Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:01 am

antoniemey wrote:
HeyHey wrote:

And with all that hotel capacity, rarely will you find an open room last minute for anything near a reasonable price, so it's all getting used.

One of the biggest brain shifts I had to make when transferring out of BNA was to being the smaller city using a nearby larger city to reroute people, rather than the larger city where people ended up when they couldn't get to their smaller destination a couple of hours away.

Hopefully that’ll change, there’s thousands upon thousands of hotel rooms under construction in the urban core. We should eventually see an increase of availability and a dropping of prices, which ironically could cause more airfare demand as the price to visit Nashville lowers. Which in turn will lead to there being more hotels built, etc.

Jshank83

Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:18 am

Not 100% up to date but Q4 2016

12.7% connecting on WN.

https://twitter.com/justinmeyerkc/statu ... 61952?s=21

southwest1675

Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:58 pm

We have another announcement today! It’s BNA-OKC on WN apparently

southwest1675

Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:23 pm

pdt2f wrote:
Where are people finding this? I can’t find anything about it on WN’s website or anything.

I’m about to check their interactive route map, cause I can’t find it in a dummy booking.

pdt2f

Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:25 pm

Where are people finding this? I can’t find anything about it on WN’s website or anything.

southwest1675

Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:29 pm

pdt2f wrote:

It shows up on their interactive route map.

southwest1675

Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:38 pm

Well this is odd. It’s only operating Sunday mornings.

pdt2f

Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:39 pm

Were there any other increases or decreases of frequency?

ADrum23

Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:00 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
Well this is odd. It’s only operating Sunday mornings.

Probably the worst time for a flight, but I’ll take it.

pdt2f

Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:03 pm

Maybe they’re just not done inputting the rest of the flight schedule? That just seems really random, to avoid any positive times for the business communities of both cities and to offer the only leisure flight between two cities in the Bible Belt on Sunday morning...

southwest1675

Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:06 pm

pdt2f wrote:
Maybe they’re just not done inputting the rest of the flight schedule? That just seems really random, to avoid any positive times for the business communities of both cities and to offer the only leisure flight between two cities in the Bible Belt on Sunday morning...

I was thinking that too. That moment when WestJet will have more flights to YYC than WN to OKC...

pdt2f

Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:12 pm

Yeah they just announced it, a Sunday flight. How random. I don’t get why that flight wouldn’t be daily.

pdt2f

Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:31 pm

I have a theory: WN probably had some Sunday capacity availability because of the nature of many of their business oriented flights being heavier on weekdays (BNA-ATL 5x MTWTF, 3x SS), and the fact that Saturday’s often have increased service to vacation gateways (FLL, HOU, MCO, TPA), so instead of just letting the planes sit or adding a useless frequency on another route they decided to test the waters with a weekly to a new location. Hopefully they expand it.

southwest1675

Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:36 pm

pdt2f wrote:
I have a theory: WN probably had some Sunday capacity availability because of the nature of many of their business oriented flights being heavier on weekdays (BNA-ATL 5x MTWTF, 3x SS), and the fact that Saturday’s often have increased service to vacation gateways (FLL, HOU, MCO, TPA), so instead of just letting the planes sit or adding a useless frequency on another route they decided to test the waters with a weekly to a new location. Hopefully they expand it.

I figure they’ll expand it. If they can add OKC, I would expect OMA and IND sometime in the future.

DakotaFlyer

Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:42 pm

Odds that Richmond will be on the next SWA schedule extension? Seems they can easily take away Allegient's pax bu going daily.

tys777

Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:51 pm

pdt2f wrote:

Or they needed to move an aircraft in the system and it was easiest to do it via a bookable flight

pdt2f

Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:02 pm

DakotaFlyer wrote:
Odds that Richmond will be on the next SWA schedule extension? Seems they can easily take away Allegient's pax bu going daily.

I’d say pretty high odds. Surely the next schedule expansion will also include the PDX flight. Realistic expectations for future expansion: PDX and RIC definitely, with hopefuls as TUL, OMH, IND. And maybe some regional mid sized markets that WN can expand and offer connections through BNA: BHM, MGM, JAN, SDF, LIT, or CAE. But those are long shots and probably Nashville would need to grow quite a bit for them to become realities.

southwest1675

Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:07 pm

pdt2f wrote:
DakotaFlyer wrote:

I’d say pretty high odds. Surely the next schedule expansion will also include the PDX flight. Realistic expectations for future expansion: PDX and RIC definitely, with hopefuls as TUL, OMH, IND. And maybe some regional mid sized markets that WN can expand and offer connections through BNA: BHM, MGM, JAN, SDF, LIT, or CAE. But those are long shots and probably Nashville would need to grow quite a bit for them to become realities.

I also think they’ll add SJC, and make SEA year round.

ADrum23

Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:09 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
pdt2f wrote:
DakotaFlyer wrote:

Idk about year round WN to SEA, with AS increasing to 2x daily and DL also on that route, it would be tough.

I am really curious as to who will launch BNA-PDX, AS or WN.

southwest1675

Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:21 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
pdt2f wrote:

Idk about year round WN to SEA, with AS increasing to 2x daily and DL also on that route, it would be tough.

Whoever it is, it’ll be announced this year.

ADrum23

Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:10 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Whoever it is, it’ll be announced this year.

I hope so, but I'm not gonna make any more predictions as to when exactly we will see things. I said yesterday that BNA wouldn't see anything in today's schedule extension, and I got that one dead wrong.....

Lexy

Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:34 pm

Interesting addition. I'll be honest, took me by surprise.
Nashville, Tennessee KBNA

EvanWSFO

Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:44 am

I'm a little surprised G4 didn't put any westbound flights into the plan. Las Vegas and Phoenix are large stations for them.

pdt2f

Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:01 am

This may be old news (I’m relatively new to a.net), but did anyone else notice that WestJet is upgrading their YYZ service to mainline 73W’s starting April 30? I had already heard that the seasonal YYC flight had been increased to thrice weekly this year but I hadn’t heard of the Toronto increase.

ADrum23

Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:32 am

pdt2f wrote:
This may be old news (I’m relatively new to a.net), but did anyone else notice that WestJet is upgrading their YYZ service to mainline 73W’s starting April 30? I had already heard that the seasonal YYC flight had been increased to thrice weekly this year but I hadn’t heard of the Toronto increase.

That only seems to be for one day. I don’t see that after April 30th.

ADrum23

Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:12 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
pdt2f wrote:

That only seems to be for one day. I don’t see that after April 30th.

Correction: It is on Mondays and Fridays until the fall.

I wish they’d upgauge it to daily and year round.

ADrum23

Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:14 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
I'm a little surprised G4 didn't put any westbound flights into the plan. Las Vegas and Phoenix are large stations for them.

I have a feeling AZA, LAS and SFB will be added if the new service is successful.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos