Re: What is next for Allegiant

Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:09 pm

Axing TTN-SFB Jan 18

freakyrat

Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:15 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
One tough thing about allegiant is you can't take them for a given to keep routes or stay. You can have totally full flights for years or months and they just decide to leave , no signs or notice. They are always chasing the next subsidy and offer.

That is more associated with Frontier than Allegiant...

Yes Frontier operated 192 flights between SBN (An Allegiant City) and DEN a few years ago. They took subsidy money plus 4 million or so gross in fares not counting checked baggage fees. These flights were all done with A319's except 1 which was an A318. with the exception of two winter months mostly all flights were full and they flew 21,000 plus passengers in and 21,000 plus passengers out. So on average they flew 110 to 118 per flight on a 133 passenger aircraft. After 9 months they left when they were going through some turmoil and changeing to an ULCC. In comparison CID flights on Frontier have the same passenger loads as SBN an they are still there to this day. Go Figure.

freakyrat

Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:17 pm

TYSflyer wrote:
Chuska wrote:
Allegiant has been advertising ABQ-SFB on the radio but nothing in their website about it yet. This is a market they should have started years ago when WN went seasonal on the route. Maybe its coming?

I feel they are due some new route announcements soon. In years past they have announced new summer routes around this time. Further they have been relatively quiet lately. I think it is interesting that this is already being advertised.

Seasonal SBN-MYR and PIA-MYR we hope.

aviationjunky

Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:55 pm

They typically announce routes twice a year, once in mid to late-January, and again in about July or August. There have been a few times where they will announce a couple randomly throughout the year, but their larger announcements with multiple cities happen then. In July/August, they announce new Seasonal routes, as well as all route extensions.

As far as connecting flights, when I worked for G4 a while back, that was an option that they put on the back burner, only because it was happening at the same time as all the engine issues with the MD80s. When I was there, the plan was to offer connecting flights out of LAS, SFB, and PIE, where they have quite a few flights a day. Their issue was there are multiple delays that sometimes last upwards of 4 hours, causing a major issue for connecting passengers. That was also the time they asked us for our opinions for future fleet options, and the B737 was the winner among the headquarters employees, but they ultimately went with the A320 family instead, I'm assuming because they got them at a crazy good deal with the NEOs coming out.

Like I said in an earlier post, I'd expect to see international flights started between LAS/AZA/SFB-MEX/CUN/TIJ, and possibly into Canada. With international travel, that might be the starting point of connecting flights, allowing people from the smaller cities options for international travel.
LAS is Life

WaywardMemphian

Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:01 pm

If they start seasonal international service, I can see them do MEM/CUN at 2x weekly down the road.

Midwestindy

Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:19 pm

aviationjunky wrote:
Like I said in an earlier post, I'd expect to see international flights started between LAS/AZA/SFB-MEX/CUN/TIJ, and possibly into Canada. With international travel, that might be the starting point of connecting flights, allowing people from the smaller cities options for international travel.

Yeah that was my thinking, that I think I shared in an earlier post. They could do LAS/AZA/PIE/SFB. SFB/PIE would be good for connections to PUJ/NAS/SJU/CUN/e.t.c, LAS/AZA could work for connections to SJD/PVR/e.t.c. LAS/AZA/PIE/SFB wouldn't work well for connections to Canada though, considering they are all so far south...

Part of the problem they have with connections is they don't want to deal to much with transferring luggage, so I think it would make sense if they tried 1stop no plane change flights like WN does. I could see routings like MKE-SFB-SJU or BLI-LAS-PVR..
2018: AMS, ATL, BOS, BWI, CDG, CLT, CMN, DCA, DFW, DTW, EWR, FLL, FRA, HPN, JFK, IAD, IAH, IND, LAX, LGA, LHR, LOS, MAD, MIA, MSP, ORD, PHL, PVD, SAN, SEA, SJD, SLC, SFO, TPA, TXL, ZRH....Loading....

Balloonchaser

Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:41 pm

I have heard about a possible KMYR-KISP Route, has anyone heard any further on it?

Midwestindy

Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:46 pm

Balloonchaser wrote:
I have heard about a possible KMYR-KISP Route, has anyone heard any further on it?

MYR has a long list of routes they would like to see...so I can't imagine they will all come to fruition...
http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/l ... 76251.html

Houston, Texas; Grand Rapids, Michigan; Minneapolis, Minnesota; Peoria or Bloomington, Illinois; South Bend, Indiana; Islip, New York; Nashville, Tennessee; Dulles Airport in Northern Virginia; Flint, Michigan; White Plains, New York; Trenton, New Jersey; Knoxville, Tennessee; Kansas City, Missouri; Louisville, Kentucky; Rockford, Illinois; Milwaukee, Wisconsin; and Providence, Rhode Island.
2018: AMS, ATL, BOS, BWI, CDG, CLT, CMN, DCA, DFW, DTW, EWR, FLL, FRA, HPN, JFK, IAD, IAH, IND, LAX, LGA, LHR, LOS, MAD, MIA, MSP, ORD, PHL, PVD, SAN, SEA, SJD, SLC, SFO, TPA, TXL, ZRH....Loading....

phluser

Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:49 pm

HIA350 wrote:
Axing TTN-SFB Jan 18

Apparently it has added more flights into ABE:
http://www.mcall.com/news/traffic/mc-nw ... story.html

I notice ABE-SFB is daily, and not sure if being daily is new, but it might be the result of the more flights. I think ABE-FLL, a newer route for G4, should be a daily link as well, at least during high season.

dabpit

Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:06 am

There will be NO international flight to AZA unless the new terminal is built with FIS. AZA has no FIS facility other than for GA flights.
Carpe Diem

william

Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:48 am

dabpit wrote:
There will be NO international flight to AZA unless the new terminal is built with FIS. AZA has no FIS facility other than for GA flights.

They could build a temp building (red iron, aluminum siding) in the mean time.

deltadudejg

Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:49 am

Customs will be renovated at PIE. The rumor pool has been Mexico/Caribbean among G4 employees.
Aviation Enthusiast working in Airport Operations

PITexpress

Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:55 am

flyPIT

Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:38 am

Seasonal CHS-CVG/IND/PIT and year round SRQ-CVG/IND/PIT. All flights 2x weekly.
http://www.wgrz.com/mobile/article/news ... d6c739e744
FLYi

zackary747

Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:03 am

flyPIT wrote:
Seasonal CHS-CVG/IND/PIT and year round SRQ-CVG/IND/PIT. All flights 2x weekly.
http://www.wgrz.com/mobile/article/news ... d6c739e744

Well, that got leaked kinda early. Curious to see what else they have network wide.
Indianapolis Airport Spotter

Facebook, Youtube, Twitter

airtrantpa

Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:14 am

I would like to see more PIE-west coast. ATA(TZ) used to run to LAX LAS and those flights had decent load factors. I believe they were also through flights to HNL but Icant remember. If TZ could make them work with a 752, G4 should have no problem with westcoast flight. I bet they could make a case flr PIE to the SF bay area work since theres only one nonstop a day on United from the Tampa Bay area.
AVL my new Hometown airport! Farewell TPA

AVLAirlineFreq

Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:42 pm

SRQ is an interesting add given its proximity to PIE and PGD. It should do well, however.

axiom

Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:03 pm

I'm pleasantly surprised to see SRQ added, given that it is a part of the PIE/TPA catchment (and, to a lesser extend, PGD). It's also aquired a reputation as a cost-prohibitive airport. There's definitely a mix of both working/middle class and upper middle class demand for the area, so it's nice to see service expand.

HIA350

Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:33 pm

phluser wrote:
HIA350 wrote:
Axing TTN-SFB Jan 18

Apparently it has added more flights into ABE:
http://www.mcall.com/news/traffic/mc-nw ... story.html

I notice ABE-SFB is daily, and not sure if being daily is new, but it might be the result of the more flights. I think ABE-FLL, a newer route for G4, should be a daily link as well, at least during high season.

a lot of Puerto Ricans live in both area SFB and ABE, I can see ABE SJU direct, in the future

Dominion301

Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:11 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Balloonchaser wrote:

MYR has a long list of routes they would like to see...so I can't imagine they will all come to fruition...

Houston, Texas; Grand Rapids, Michigan; Minneapolis, Minnesota; Peoria or Bloomington, Illinois; South Bend, Indiana; Islip, New York; Nashville, Tennessee; Dulles Airport in Northern Virginia; Flint, Michigan; White Plains, New York; Trenton, New Jersey; Knoxville, Tennessee; Kansas City, Missouri; Louisville, Kentucky; Rockford, Illinois; Milwaukee, Wisconsin; and Providence, Rhode Island.

I'm surprised MYR don't have Ottawa and Montreal on their list. Both seem like perfect 1-2x weekly seasonal routes. Maybe even Windsor too, but Spirit would already have DTW-MYR covered.

freakyrat

Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:42 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Balloonchaser wrote:

Out of this list SBN and PIA are top priorities according to the MYR airport.

freakyrat

Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:46 pm

On the International front I would expect SBN-CUN in the future as there are at least 15,000 trips a year taken by passengers in South Bend's catchment area. Now if SBN could get the USDA to quit dragging their feet on approving the FIS things could get going on this.

TYSflyer

Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:57 pm

Has anyone else noticed quite an interesting increased fleet utilization for the summer schedule? I noticed a 3 am departure on sfb-Tys on M/F with a subsequent 5 am departure on TYS-EWR. Also I see a 4:30 am departure on PGD-TYS. They will be up about 7 increased weekly departures at TYS during the summer compared to last year. Cannot see their typical clientele being very receptive to these times though. I'm sure there are a lot of other examples like this out there.

william

Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:31 pm

TYSflyer wrote:
Has anyone else noticed quite an interesting increased fleet utilization for the summer schedule? I noticed a 3 am departure on sfb-Tys on M/F with a subsequent 5 am departure on TYS-EWR. Also I see a 4:30 am departure on PGD-TYS. They will be up about 7 increased weekly departures at TYS during the summer compared to last year. Cannot see their typical clientele being very receptive to these times though. I'm sure there are a lot of other examples like this out there.

And I bet the longer leg flying will be done by the brand new A320s. As Red Eyes have long shown people will get up at O-Dark Thirty to catch a flight if the price is right. Smart move on Allegiants' part to get more revenue out of existing equipment.

Allegiant may be running into gate issues at its larger stations,say SFB, especially on the popular Friday/Monday days. An early morning or late evening arrival/departure will solve that.

AVLAirlineFreq

Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:43 pm

TYSflyer wrote:

Just saw G4 is doing a 4:00 AM departure AVL-EWR this summer. That is painful at any price.

william

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:08 pm

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:

Just saw G4 is doing a 4:00 AM departure AVL-EWR this summer. That is painful at any price.

When most of the fleet is only flying three or four days a week, one makes the most utilization when possible on the days they do fly. I agree, no wants to get up at 2AM to catch a flight (though I think those with children will appreciate this).

lightsaber

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:35 pm

william wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:

And I bet the longer leg flying will be done by the brand new A320s. As Red Eyes have long shown people will get up at O-Dark Thirty to catch a flight if the price is right. Smart move on Allegiants' part to get more revenue out of existing equipment.

Allegiant may be running into gate issues at its larger stations,say SFB, especially on the popular Friday/Monday days. An early morning or late evening arrival/departure will solve that.

The new A320s also are in 'maintenance holiday' and cost less per operating hour (with higher fixed costs). So the added costs of these redeyes will be less with the (as you note) brand new A320s than used A319s or the almost done MD-80s. It is only wise to take advantage of the greater possible flight hours per day of a new aircraft (with lower costs per flight hours).

I've thought a lot about G4s utilization. I see they have a need for NEOs (assuming the price was right).
I could see:
12 NEOs, growing by say 3 per year after the initial batch.
12 new CEOs
Bulk of the fleet remaining in the 'flex utilization' that the used A320s/A319s/MD-80s are put through. With 93 currently in the fleet (less at end 2018 due to MD-80 retirements), I see G4 able to flex about a quarter of their fleet enough to justify new NEOs. But I doubt it will happen, Allegiant is very conservative spending money, so they will certainly focus on bringing in used CFM56-5 powered aircraft for the next year.

Lightsaber
You only have the first amendment with the 2nd. If you're not going to offend someone with what you say, you don't have the 1st.

william

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:50 pm

lightsaber wrote:
william wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:

The new A320s also are in 'maintenance holiday' and cost less per operating hour (with higher fixed costs). So the added costs of these redeyes will be less with the (as you note) brand new A320s than used A319s or the almost done MD-80s. It is only wise to take advantage of the greater possible flight hours per day of a new aircraft (with lower costs per flight hours).

I've thought a lot about G4s utilization. I see they have a need for NEOs (assuming the price was right).
I could see:
12 new CEOs
Bulk of the fleet remaining in the 'flex utilization' that the used A320s/A319s/MD-80s are put through. With 93 currently in the fleet (less at end 2018 due to MD-80 retirements), I see G4 able to flex about a quarter of their fleet enough to justify new NEOs. But I doubt it will happen, Allegiant is very conservative spending money, so they will certainly focus on bringing in used CFM56-5 powered aircraft for the next year.

Lightsaber

With many of the world's airlines making the transition to A320 NEOs, there will be a glut of A320 CEOs coming back to lessors that will be desperate to find homes for them. It will be a great market for Allegiant.

With the NEOs, unless they are based at LAS or SFB where they could be sent out daily, it would still be only for or four two legs. Not seeing the utilization needed to not only pay for themselves but make money for the company even at 15% less fuel per trip.

At least the CFM power plants and parts should be plentiful and relatively inexpensive for the next 20 years.

lightsaber

Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:22 pm

william wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
william wrote:

I could see:
12 new CEOs

Lightsaber

With many of the world's airlines making the transition to A320 NEOs, there will be a glut of A320 CEOs coming back to lessors that will be desperate to find homes for them. It will be a great market for Allegiant.

With the NEOs, unless they are based at LAS or SFB where they could be sent out daily, it would still be only for or four two legs. Not seeing the utilization needed to not only pay for themselves but make money for the company even at 15% less fuel per trip.

At least the CFM power plants and parts should be plentiful and relatively inexpensive for the next 20 years.

I see the red-eyes as evidence G4 is maturing and increasing their daily utilization. To justify NEOs, they need to fly 9.5+ hours per day to cut costs enough to take the risk of buying new NEOs. G4 also needs to fly the new A320CEOs 8+ hours per day.

I can see in four years G4 flying
10% of their fleet NEOs.
10% of their fleet the new CEOs
And a hundred used A32X.

I agree with G4 mostly buying used aircraft. The CFM-56 is an industry in its own right that will easily go 25+ more years.

Allegiant's model is facinating. The bulk of their aircraft will be old used models flown 5 to 8 hours per day (really 1,800 to 2,800 hours per year with high variation) . The CEOs will find routes with 2,800 to 3,500 hours per year. I think Allegiant is ready for a dozen aircraft flying 3,500 to 4,200 hours per year.

I don't think we disagree that Allegiant is wise buying 12+ year old (usually older) used examples and prices are declining. I just believe, at this time, Pratt is hungry enough for new orders that Allegiant would be offered 2021/2022 deliveries at prices that justify buying new, with options. CFM would match, or come close enough that G4 would stick with a known.

Just as Allegiant is changing strategy into real estate, I see them flying more too. To fly more you need an aircraft with the economics to do so, but a small subfleet if NEOs.

Lightsaber
You only have the first amendment with the 2nd. If you're not going to offend someone with what you say, you don't have the 1st.

TYSflyer

Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:30 pm

lightsaber wrote:
william wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:

I could see:
12 new CEOs

Lightsaber

Oddly enough the 3 am departure on SFB-TYS is an MD-80. Granted, it may run SFB-TYS-EWR-TYS-SFB and be done for the day. I realize this is anecdotal, and the fleet plan is to increase the utilization of the A320s specifically the new builds. Allegiant hinted at testing red eyes recently. I figured they meant traditional red eyes from west to east. Maybe this is what they were intending? Playing around with the schedules some more it appears they are starting some of this in the spring. I have found a good number of 4 am departures in March too.

TYSflyer

Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:42 pm

And after all that I can't find the early am departures any more? It appears the schedule has changed again. Anyone know what is going on?

cbphoto

Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:15 am

TYSflyer wrote:
And after all that I can't find the early am departures any more? It appears the schedule has changed again. Anyone know what is going on?

I wouldn’t be surprised if they uploaded the schedule wrong, and switched PM to AM. I see lots of 3 and 4 PM departures out of TYS and other places. No way would Allegiant have red eye turns at this stage. A 3AM departure out of TYS would mean a 1AM departure out of PGD. Doesn’t make sense at all for the structure that G4 does.
ETOPS: Engines Turning or Passengers Swimming

william

Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:34 pm

DeKalb-Peachtree Airport on the fast growing northeast side of Atlanta has scheduled airline service by two commuter airlines...................Hmmmmm.

lightsaber

Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:29 pm

william wrote:
AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:

When most of the fleet is only flying three or four days a week, one makes the most utilization when possible on the days they do fly. I agree, no wants to get up at 2AM to catch a flight (though I think those with children will appreciate this).

I LOVE redeyes. 4:00am departure? I'd do that. Get home from work, sleep while the traffic is bad, and then catch the flight to the vacation!

FATFlyer

Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:32 pm

PITexpress wrote:

Elite Airways cancelled its recently announced PIT-SRQ flights before they start instead of competing with Allegiant.
http://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20180111/updated-elite-airways-cancels-pittsburgh-service-to-sarasota-bradenton

Elite's flights were to begin before spring training started. Unfortunately G4 will start in April after spring training. PIT area baseball fans will not have their spring training nonstop for this year.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

flyPIT

Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:45 pm

FATFlyer wrote:
PITexpress wrote:

Elite Airways cancelled its recently announced PIT-SRQ flights before they start instead of competing with Allegiant.
http://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20180111/updated-elite-airways-cancels-pittsburgh-service-to-sarasota-bradenton

Elite's flights were to begin before spring training started. Unfortunately G4 will start in April after spring training. PIT area baseball fans will not have their spring training nonstop for this year.

Pittsburgh has a baseball team? Elite had a marketing incentive in hand and a two month head start on the route which coincided with spring training. Perhaps they should have given themselves a chance?
FLYi

Runway28L

Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:01 pm

FATFlyer wrote:

Well... sort of. Anyone could just fly into TPA on WN or NK and rent a car to get to Bradenton.

I've done the drive the past 2 years and it's very easy and relatively short. Never have I had a problem so far.
Greetings from KPIT! Check out my photos here: http://www.airliners.net/search?user=45 ... teAccepted

Midwestindy

Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:22 pm

Allegiant has extended its schedule through Nov 6th.... Big expansion from VPS...

kbmiflyer

Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:31 pm

Allegiant will announce opening a small base at VPS today, and several new destinations including XNA, USA, EVV, RDU, and LEX

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/201802 ... ase-at-vps

Jshank83

Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:39 pm

kbmiflyer wrote:
Allegiant will announce opening a small base at VPS today, and several new destinations including XNA, USA, EVV, RDU, and LEX

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/201802 ... ase-at-vps

I already thought they had a base there. So it makes sense. I thought most of the florida destinations had a base of some sort.

william

Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:40 pm

Good news for the panhandle area, Panama City can be expensive at times.

zackary747

Allegiant expands VPS base to 21 nonstop destinations

Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:02 pm

I feel like an announcement this size deserves its own thread.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/f ... 332127002/

NEW ROUTES ADDED:

Concord (USA)
Evansville (EVV)
Lexington (LEX)
Raleigh-Durham (RDU)
Northwest Arkansas (XNA)

zackary747

Re: Allegiant expands VPS base to 21 nonstop destinations

Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:03 pm

"Now, Allegiant says Destin will become its 14th year-round base"

Hince the word year round. Sounds like some routes will indeed end up year round at some point.

RJNUT

Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:35 pm

it gets a bad rap as "Redneck Riviera" but there are so many high quality beach resorts and condos and homes. the beaches are beautiful and there is definitely not the Branson or Myrtle beach feel. This should increase visitors considerably.

Jshank83

Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:51 pm

Apparently more people go there from STL/BLV than I thought. It is currently scheuduled as daily from BLV during summer (the only daily route from BLV) and WN runs 1x daily (x2 Saturday) to ECP, Saturday only to PNS. Demand for that area is higher than I thought. I was really surprised they ran BLV-VPS year round this past year. I wouldn't have guessed there was much demand in winter. I am curious to see the loads.

evank516

Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:16 pm

It's just amazing considering the small size of VPS on the civilian side. I know these routes are less than daily, but still amazing (in my eyes at least) to see G4 turn this tiny airport into a base.

william

Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:23 pm

Nice place to be based at.

KCaviator

Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:12 pm

Destin is just like any other trashy beach town (i.e. Myrtle Beach, PCB, Daytona, etc), but 30A is as classy as it gets. Beautiful beaches, homes, condos, local cuisine, very little commercialization.

william

Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:23 pm

KCaviator wrote:
Destin is just like any other trashy beach town (i.e. Myrtle Beach, PCB, Daytona, etc), but 30A is as classy as it gets. Beautiful beaches, homes, condos, local cuisine, very little commercialization.

I always got the impression Destin had a older demographic than Panama City Beach. What I want to know is why its two freaking hours to go six blocks in the afternoons in Destin? Where is the traffic coming from and going too?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos