peterinlisbon

Re: PRESS RELEASE: Norwegian reveals its biggest ever year of growth in 2018

Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:33 pm

a350lover wrote:
The increase of seating for the Premium section in the cabins means a lot IMO. Low cost is good, but yields must have been so so tiny for some of the business there...

I'd stick to LGW, USA, and Scandinavia mostly, increasing volumes on established routes (this has been also announced for routes like LGW-OAK/LAX), and once there, I would try and balance the purely leisure business with the truly potential which IMO is really there for the Premium pax happy to fly a different proposal on a super-market-treasure like JFK-LGW.

DY stocks did well in fact today, so the market probably liked the announcements made by the airline.

I flew LGW-DEN for about 250$ and my ticket back from OAK cost just 99$. However, I added an upgrade to Premium for about another 200$ and on the way back I'll at least have to add luggage for 30$. I loved their service, much better than anything else on offer for that price.

Jayafe

Re: Norwegian reveals its biggest ever year of growth in 2018

Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:02 pm

uta999 wrote:
I am simply quoting Google "London to Boston return"

https://www.google.co.uk/search?safe=ac ... iN8_rQXDD0

Then you should try with 1st hand data (or at least accurate/double checked) before making such brave statements :) (said nicely)

lesfalls

Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:00 pm

NYCVIE wrote:
The only reason people are flying DY across the Atlantic is because of price. Don't kid yourself otherwise. Being from NYC I personally have never found DY to be significantly cheaper than legacies especially when considering bag fees as well.

As someone who also lives in the NYC Area since 2014 I have flown Norwegian 7x from JFK and 1x from SWF. Even though the flights that I took to OSL,ARN,CPH and EDI were not my final destination I saved hundreds of dollars by flying via these airports and self connecting. Before DY started TATL service OSL/ARN/CPH they used to be one of UA's bread and butter routes with high fares. As soon as DY came in Scandinavia became on of Europes cheapest destination to travel to. I think in the end Norwegian has made a big name in the NYC area as they seem to never stop expanding in the NYC area.
My Instagram account: @Jfkmxpairlinespotting

PatrickZ80

Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:28 pm

LupineChemist wrote:
keitherson wrote:
LupineChemist wrote:
I'm all for competition, though I guess I don't find the fares on the legacies that outrageous. I regularly fly IB TATL for 400€ r/t.

But I just don't get where they keep getting money. I think it will probably be worse for consumers but I really see them failing in spectacular fashion and just ceasing operations without much warning.

You think these 400€ fares existed before the competition from Norwegian and WOW?

Considering I've been paying that for MAD-JFK for years and Norwegian doesn't start flying it until next summer....yes I do.

Norwegian doesn't start flying that route directly until next summer, but for years it has been possible with a transfer in Oslo or London Gatwick or something like that. And of course Barcelona is also already a long haul hub for Norwegian and taking it's share of Spanish TATL passengers. Madrid airport caters to more than just Madrid, it caters to the whole of Spain. But so does Barcelona.

If Iberia would charge 600 euros return for a direct Madrid - New York flight and Norwegian charges 400 euros for a Madrid - Barcelona - New York return flight, which one would you pick? That's the reason Iberia lowered their prices to match the Norwegian fares, otherwise they would lose all their customers to Norwegian.

PatrickZ80

Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:31 pm

tphuang wrote:
It's not like they are doing something different. Fi does the low cost tatl also and actually have a sustainable business model.

I wouldn't call Icelandair real low-cost, more like medium-cost. Sometimes they come out the cheapest, but that's because of lack of competition. Where Norwegian and Icelandair compete, Norwegian is almost always cheaper.

tphuang

Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:38 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
It's not like they are doing something different. Fi does the low cost tatl also and actually have a sustainable business model.

I wouldn't call Icelandair real low-cost, more like medium-cost. Sometimes they come out the cheapest, but that's because of lack of competition. Where Norwegian and Icelandair compete, Norwegian is almost always cheaper.

There is also wow which is as cheap and have a more sustainable model. The idea that low cost is solely due to Norwegian presence is not accurate. Many airports are getting lower tatl prices due to Iceland airlines options.

PatrickZ80

Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:42 pm

keitherson wrote:
That's the problem with legacies.

They are creating airlines just to stay relevant: how has JOON, Transavia, LEVEL, Eurowings fared in comparison to Norwegian?

The only airlines coming close (imo) are Jetstar and Scoot on the other side of the world. The Americans and Europeans have not done it right.

The only airline out of that list that I found actually cheaper than Norwegian is Transavia, but they only fly short haul. The only route where Norwegian and Transavia compete directly is Amsterdam - Helsinki and although Norwegian is already cheap Transavia mostly comes out even cheaper. But perhaps Stockholm and Copenhagen are better comparisons. Norwegian flies from both these cities to Amsterdam while Transavia serves them both from Eindhoven. 9 out of 10 times the Transavia flight is cheaper, but as said it takes you to/from Eindhoven instead of Amsterdam.

Joon, Level and Eurowings are mostly a bit more expensive than Norwegian.

airbazar

Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:11 pm

NYCVIE wrote:
The only reason people are flying DY across the Atlantic is because of price. Don't kid yourself otherwise. Being from NYC I personally have never found DY to be significantly cheaper than legacies especially when considering bag fees as well.

This is such an awesome post :) Do you realize that you completely contradicted yourself?
And I agree with the second statement. I'm from Boston an never found DY to be cheaper than anyone else when I wanted to fly which tells me that price is NOT the only reason people are flying with DY.

anstar

Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:14 pm

NYCVIE wrote:

Now the legacies like DL and KL/AF and soon to be VS will be charging for bags as well. So its makes the difference less and less.

a350lover

Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:44 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:
I flew LGW-DEN for about 250$ and my ticket back from OAK cost just 99$. However, I added an upgrade to Premium for about another 200$ and on the way back I'll at least have to add luggage for 30$. I loved their service, much better than anything else on offer for that price.

Sure it's!

Customizing your fare is something cool for many customers. The problem arises when lots of people bring their own "picnic" to the plane, and pay just the fare you found at $99, kind of likely to happen on markets which are mainly leisure. Then DY's revenue is little, close to nothing. That's no just for Norwegian, but for any other airline.

Like others said here, there is no single airline in the world offering to the pax "free-meals", free bags or anything for free. You pay for all these items on the ticket, of course you do. However, if you make the offer as "transparent" as DY does, the risk is getting a big amount of pax who just want you for that deal, but for nothing else. Hence, I would recommend DY's people to make that Premium section bright a lot, so that they can be a remarkable and decent option for the pax who brings the revenue.

The ads and marketing can still be showing off your unbeatable $99 fares, but that’s back-down the aisle, and I would say, at the end of the day, that’s not the customer who any airline works more intense for. Airlines work for the front.

NYCVIE

Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:52 pm

lesfalls wrote:
NYCVIE wrote:

As someone who also lives in the NYC Area since 2014 I have flown Norwegian 7x from JFK and 1x from SWF. Even though the flights that I took to OSL,ARN,CPH and EDI were not my final destination I saved hundreds of dollars by flying via these airports and self connecting. Before DY started TATL service OSL/ARN/CPH they used to be one of UA's bread and butter routes with high fares. As soon as DY came in Scandinavia became on of Europes cheapest destination to travel to. I think in the end Norwegian has made a big name in the NYC area as they seem to never stop expanding in the NYC area.

If you're self connecting then yes, you're right they do tend to be cheaper, but I try to avoid self connecting when a TATL leg is attached since you're not protected in case something goes wrong. Also whenever I go its with baggage so thats two sectors you have to pay baggage for.
airbazar wrote:
NYCVIE wrote:

This is such an awesome post :) Do you realize that you completely contradicted yourself?
And I agree with the second statement. I'm from Boston an never found DY to be cheaper than anyone else when I wanted to fly which tells me that price is NOT the only reason people are flying with DY.

LOL. I mean that I've personally never found DY to be much cheaper than legacies but I understand that for other travelers, especially in other markets that don't have as many carriers as NYC.

Mortyman

Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:00 pm

They finance aircraft like many other airlines through various financial tools and support throgh, the US Ex-Im Bank, European Export Credit Agencies. and EETC (Enhanced Equipment Trust Certificates) and also sales and leaseback.

toxtethogrady

Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:24 pm

Oil just approached $62 a barrel (WTI). I think the good times will be over soon.

2Holer4Longhaul

Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:37 pm

Norwegian's airline ops are bleeding money. Chasing only the lowest yields is a great way to lose money, and they're doing it. Unless there's some subsidization going on, their demise is a question of when, not if.
A junkie for A340s, A380s, and of course Her Majesty the Boeing 747. I wish they were financially viable, but it is not to be.

aemoreira1981

Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:00 pm

keitherson wrote:
scotron11 wrote:
Well, I was going to comment that DY made IAG respond with LEVEL, but I don't think LEVEL was created just to compete with DY. Main reason being they have chosen ORY to be their next base as opposed to LGW, even after obtaining those slots from Monarch.

So maybe there is a method to DYs madness and they come out of this much stronger!

That's the problem with legacies.

They are creating airlines just to stay relevant: how has JOON, Transavia, LEVEL, Eurowings fared in comparison to Norwegian?

The only airlines coming close (imo) are Jetstar and Scoot on the other side of the world. The Americans and Europeans have not done it right.

Transavia has been around for more than 50 years. It’s owned by AF/KL now but they bought it from Nedlloyd.

neomax

Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:26 pm

qf789 wrote:
neomax wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
...lol, not one thing you just said is actually factual.

Suit yourself.

LAX772LR is right. For example BA has more services a day to East coast US cities than what Norwegian has widebody aircraft. The onboard product maybe better but saying more people are choosing to fly DY than the legacies is a myth

No, I don't think you understood my point. If BA is the only one to fly to PHX, SAN, etc. then there's not a choice between BA and DY. But in AUS, DEN, etc. where there are both BA and DY, more people are choosing DY over BA, make no mistake about it.

Mortyman

Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:15 pm

Well, back in early september last year, I beleave it was 4 th of September, - O'Leary of Ryanair claimed that Norwegian would fold in 4-5 months ... Well the months has past and Norwegian is still in the air ...

leghorn

Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:36 pm

fuel price per ton: http://www.iata.org/publications/econom ... index.aspx
assumptions about fuel prices at 500 dollars per ton in last years annual report: https://www.norwegian.com/globalassets/ ... t_2016.pdf
currency conversion from dollars to kroner isn't so bad. http://xe.com/currencyconverter/convert ... USD&To=NOK

They really need cheap fuel to scrape through to a quarter when they have established well loaded routes.

At the time of the annual report they were only hedged 14% for year 2018. Perhaps someone can find a link for new hedging for 2018 but if Iran kicks off then I expect fuel prices won't go down.
That list of deliveries of planes from 2018 onward is frightening.

MAH4546

Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:44 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
I had heard that DY plans to increase their presence in SEA with a new route (I think it may be Oslo) in the summer of 2018. But I haven't heard anything lately and it's not in the press release in this thread.

Summer flying is largely locked in. There might be a few more ads, but would be surprising for a new long-haul route to be announced with the summer schedules largely set up. But then again a late summer start wouldn't be a complete shock.
a.

WaywardMemphian

Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:37 pm

toxtethogrady wrote:
Oil just approached $62 a barrel (WTI). I think the good times will be over soon.

Mainly due to the extreme cold and surge in heating oil demand.

US fracking activity will sky rocket if anything over 60 is prolonged. It's already increasing. Equipment orders are already ticking up as we are getting swamped for parts.

Besides, the economy is humming and let's remember that Norwegian has the most efficient effiecient equipment out there due to the newness of it all which insulates them a bit more than others like Icelandic and WOW.

Now, let's all remember that the A321LRs will start showing up in Mid 2019 and they seem to be destined for smaller North American airports.

qf789

Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:01 am

neomax wrote:
qf789 wrote:
neomax wrote:

Suit yourself.

LAX772LR is right. For example BA has more services a day to East coast US cities than what Norwegian has widebody aircraft. The onboard product maybe better but saying more people are choosing to fly DY than the legacies is a myth

No, I don't think you understood my point. If BA is the only one to fly to PHX, SAN, etc. then there's not a choice between BA and DY. But in AUS, DEN, etc. where there are both BA and DY, more people are choosing DY over BA, make no mistake about it.

Well perhaps you should be more clear in your argument. This is what you originally said

neomax wrote:
Like it or not, more people are choosing to fly DY than are flying the legacies. And it's not just because of price, the product is MILES ahead of the US3 and EU3.

Secondly you need to provide some evidence to back up your claim. you have now said twice now that people are choosing DY over the legacies which is were from I sit is not true
Forum Moderator

BAorNoWay
Topic Author

Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:16 pm

Apparently Norwegian have learnt from the past and have enough crew and aircraft in place to operate their schedule this year without the need for expensive (wet) leases.

It certainly cost them dearly last year, around the $123 million dollar mark.

I don’t think Norwegian is going anywhere anytime soon. I think the management have learnt that investors became a bit jittery after the issues last year (both operationally and financially). This year I think they will be more prepared and I expect them to focus on the operation over the next few years with a reduction in the growth rate as they reach a critical mass.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-norw ... SKBN1ET1RF

QuawerAir

Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:22 pm

Mortyman wrote:
By end 2018, Norwegian will have 32 Boeing 787's ...

Will any of them be deployed to Helsinki?
ATL, AYT, FRA, FUE, HEL, JFK, LCA, LHR, MUC | AY, BA, DL, FH, LH, LO | A320, A321, A333, 752, 764, 772, 788
Next flight: HEL-FRA-JFK | LH | A321, 748

Nami

Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:27 pm

QuawerAir wrote:
Mortyman wrote:
By end 2018, Norwegian will have 32 Boeing 787's ...

Will any of them be deployed to Helsinki?

I don't think anyone here will be able to provide an answer for that question (and I don't think it's necessary to bring that up in every possible thread about Norwegian).

From another thread:

Mortyman wrote:
Norwegian will invest in higher flight frequency on existing routes rather than open new routes in 2018.

BAorNoWay
Topic Author

Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:28 pm

Norwegian also raised its forecasts for 2018 today after posting stronger than expected passenger figures for December 2017.

They must be doing something right, the news sent the companies shares up 12% today:

https://www.reuters.com/article/norwegi ... SL8N1P01IL

smallvoyageur

Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:47 pm

BAorNoWay wrote:
Apparently Norwegian have learned from the past and have enough crew and aircraft in place to operate their schedule this year without the need for expensive (wet) leases.

I don’t think Norwegian is going anywhere anytime soon. I think the management has learned that investors became a bit jittery after the issues last year (both operationally and financially). This year I think they will be more prepared and I expect them to focus on the operation over the next few years with a reduction in the growth rate as they reach a critical mass.

Agree, I think they might slow down on the TATL services to the States to focus on their new Argentine routes. Word on the ground that these are doing well, and with this, it might grow Argentina as holiday destination especially among people who wouldn't normally think of visiting.

Mortyman

Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:56 pm

BAorNoWay wrote:
Norwegian also raised its forecasts for 2018 today after posting stronger than expected passenger figures for December 2017.

They must be doing something right, the news sent the companies shares up 12% today:

20 % on the Oslo Stock exchange

325i

Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:26 pm

Greetings folks, a response to all the DY "knockers".
Check out Novembers copy of Airways (airways traveller section) it appears that it is not a "bad" airline to put your derrière on!
Admittedly these reports can vary , it is a matter of personal choice and ones expectations eg, price/comfort and service.
Cheers 325i.

Mortyman

Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:31 pm

smallvoyageur wrote:
BAorNoWay wrote:
Apparently Norwegian have learned from the past and have enough crew and aircraft in place to operate their schedule this year without the need for expensive (wet) leases.

I don’t think Norwegian is going anywhere anytime soon. I think the management has learned that investors became a bit jittery after the issues last year (both operationally and financially). This year I think they will be more prepared and I expect them to focus on the operation over the next few years with a reduction in the growth rate as they reach a critical mass.

Agree, I think they might slow down on the TATL services to the States to focus on their new Argentine routes. Word on the ground that these are doing well, and with this, it might grow Argentina as holiday destination especially among people who wouldn't normally think of visiting.

Well, they are still getting 11 new Boeing 787-9 Dreamliners in 2018 + 2 Boeing 737-800 and also 12 Boeing 737-8 Max Aircraft ... They are among other Things expected to start flights from Gatwick to Chicago on March 25th this year.

klm617

Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:54 am

Here is hoping the DTW figures some how into their 2018 plans.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

Cunard

Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:35 am

Mortyman wrote:
smallvoyageur wrote:
BAorNoWay wrote:

Well, they are still getting 11 new Boeing 787-9 Dreamliners in 2018 + 2 Boeing 737-800 and also 12 Boeing 737-8 Max Aircraft ... They are among other Things expected to start flights from Gatwick to Chicago on March 25th this year.

Norwegian are not 'expected' to start flights from Gatwick to Chicago on March 25 this year they ARE starting flights from Gatwick to Chicago on March 25 2018 as it was announced way back in September.

Cunard

Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:37 am

klm617 wrote:
Here is hoping the DTW figures some how into their 2018 plans.

Now I wonder why your hoping DTW figures some how into their 2018 plans! -:)

BigTexFlyer

Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:18 am

Mark my word: DY will be bigger than DL in DTW by summer 18! abc123

smallvoyageur

Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:50 am

Cunard wrote:
Mortyman wrote:
smallvoyageur wrote:

Norwegian are not 'expected' to start flights from Gatwick to Chicago on March 25 this year they ARE starting flights from Gatwick to Chicago on March 25, 2018, as it was announced way back in September.

I was more talking about any further European-USA expansion, while the airline is running. They seem to be interested in growth in Argentina with possible new routes in various suggestions including Europe and the USA
c933103 wrote:

TIA

Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:25 am

They're starting seasonal 2 weekly OSL-TIA this summer. Not sure if this is in collaboration with a tour operator (Apollo's flights on the same segment will be covered by Small Planet).

Kadish

Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:42 am

LupineChemist wrote:
I'm all for competition, though I guess I don't find the fares on the legacies that outrageous. I regularly fly IB TATL for 400€ r/t.

But I just don't get where they keep getting money. I think it will probably be worse for consumers but I really see them failing in spectacular fashion and just ceasing operations without much warning.

The fares are pretty much the same with IB,UX and Norwegian if you fly with the normal packet. The thing is that legacies fly across the pond daily If not twice a day, whereas Norwegian twice a week. What would happen if there’s a cancellation or you have to fly earlier than expected?
I prefer to pay a bit more and fly a more reliable airline ( in terms of schedule) than Level, Joon or Norwegian.

bananaboy

Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:00 am

WaywardMemphian wrote:
toxtethogrady wrote:

Besides, the economy is humming and let's remember that Norwegian has the most efficient effiecient equipment out there due to the newness of it all which insulates them a bit more than others like Icelandic and WOW.

Norwegian won't necessarily have a big advantage over Icelandair. Whilst their aircraft are newer, those leases won't be cheap. Icelandair own most of their 757 fleet which I would guess by now be fully depreciated. On the flip side, maintenance on older aircraft could be more expensive.

I think it's hard to be sure who would have lower costs and be better insulated against fuel rises.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

NozPerry

Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:51 pm

QuawerAir wrote:
Also, Norwegian will add almost 300,000 seats to Helsinki (HEL). But I wonder, when will HEL see long-haul flights from DY. Bjørn Kjos said in October 2016 that it's possible that the airline would launch long-haul flights from HEL in 2018.

I think it’s more likely it’ll be the 7M8 being used as “long haul” from HEL. Possibly to the current destinations being offered using the MAX. :shhh:
I love the feel of a Go Around in the morning

lightsaber

Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:09 pm

BAorNoWay wrote:

Excellent news.

Norwegian causes much angst. Many, particularly MOL, want them to fail. Norwegian's debt is high. They are expanding a bit quick. They are running a risk.

Lightsaber
You only have the first amendment with the 2nd. If you're not going to offend someone with what you say, you don't have the 1st.

airzona11

Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:24 pm

toxtethogrady wrote:

Doesn't that favor having the most efficient planes?

toxtethogrady

Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:42 pm

It does. It doesn't favor longer thinner markets and low fares.

pallvidar

Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:04 am

There is also wow which is as cheap and have a more sustainable model. The idea that low cost is solely due to Norwegian presence is not accurate. Many airports are getting lower tatl prices due to Iceland airlines options.

I don’t think Wow are a more sustainable model, for the past few weeks Icelandic papers have been publishing articles suggesting that WOW is on the verge of bankruptcy as well as rumours within the industry in Iceland. They are expanding way too quickly

BoeingGuy

Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:04 am

qf789 wrote:
neomax wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
...lol, not one thing you just said is actually factual.

Suit yourself.

He didn't mean that more people are flying DY than are flying the legacy airlines. He meant "more", as in an increasing number of people are flying DY. It was clear to me what he meant and that does seem to be factual.

I can't speak for the product though since I haven't flown them. Just flew AA 789s on 13+ hour flights though. Clean airplane and fairly good cabin crew. The seating was awfully cramped, and I'm not a huge guy. That's my only complaint about that legacy. Can't say if DY would be better.

VS4ever

Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:47 am

if you want an idea of how DY think about life, their podcasts are well worth a listen. first one was with the CEO, but the latest one is with their head of revenue management. Insiders will probably say not a whole lot truly being said, but to us layman, definitely an interesting view. About 15 minutes a piece.
https://www.norwegian.com/us/about/comp ... /podcasts/
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

oslmgm

Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:38 am

VS4ever wrote:
if you want an idea of how DY think about life, their podcasts are well worth a listen. first one was with the CEO, but the latest one is with their head of revenue management. Insiders will probably say not a whole lot truly being said, but to us layman, definitely an interesting view. About 15 minutes a piece.
https://www.norwegian.com/us/about/comp ... /podcasts/

I found these podcasts quite interesting.
Though as an audio engineer, I'm horrified... please hire a professional! (yeah, if you're reading this, send me a PM, and I'll fix it for you for a small fee ;) )

pabloeing

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:12 am

¿new B787 order soon?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos