fjmm92
Topic Author
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:11 am

Ethiopian ADD-FCO-MAD to become ADD-BCN-MAD

Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:12 am

Ethiopian Airlines has modified Addis Ababa-Madrid route which has been added a stop at Barcelona (BCN) from 4 June 2018 instead of Rome (FCO).

23:15 ADD - 04:25 BCN 05:25 - 06:25 MAD 788 2 3 4 7
19:30 MAD - 20:30 BCN 22:45 - 05:50 ADD 788 1 2 3 5
Last edited by qf789 on Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: wrong airport code
 
LIPZ
Posts: 520
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:29 am

Re: Ethiopian EDD-FCO-MAD to become EDD-BCN-MAD

Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:22 pm

They are also launching new flights to Geneva 3 times per week (--3-5-7)
 
xorrygva
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: Ethiopian EDD-FCO-MAD to become EDD-BCN-MAD

Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:05 pm

LIPZ wrote:
They are also launching new flights to Geneva 3 times per week (--3-5-7)


That's interesting news (for me at least :) ). Have they announced it officially yet? I cannot find anything recent.
 
LIPZ
Posts: 520
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:29 am

Re: Ethiopian ADD-FCO-MAD to become ADD-BCN-MAD

Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:55 pm

You can find it through their website (or GDS as well)

ET 726 ADD GVA 2310 0725 (-2-4-6-)
ET 727 GVA ADD 2045 0550 (--3-5-7)

with a techincal stop in MXP both ways
 
xorrygva
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: Ethiopian ADD-FCO-MAD to become ADD-BCN-MAD

Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:00 pm

LIPZ wrote:
You can find it through their website (or GDS as well)

ET 726 ADD GVA 2310 0725 (-2-4-6-)
ET 727 GVA ADD 2045 0550 (--3-5-7)

with a techincal stop in MXP both ways


Thanks a lot!
 
330lover
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:11 am

Re: Ethiopian ADD-FCO-MAD to become ADD-BCN-MAD

Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:08 pm

LIPZ wrote:
You can find it through their website (or GDS as well)

ET 726 ADD GVA 2310 0725 (-2-4-6-)
ET 727 GVA ADD 2045 0550 (--3-5-7)

with a techincal stop in MXP both ways



Technical seems strange to me. Distance between MXP and GVA is not that big, sure their aircraft don't need to stop on this route.
It's more a commercial stop, combining 2 destinations, if you ask me.
Britten Norman Islander VP-FBR on Falkland Islands. THAT'S FLYING!
 
behramjee
Posts: 4558
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:56 am

Re: Ethiopian ADD-FCO-MAD to become ADD-BCN-MAD

Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:24 pm

So it's 2 new EU destinations ie BCN and GVA from S18...correct?
 
User avatar
Miguel1982
Screener
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:53 pm

Re: Ethiopian ADD-FCO-MAD to become ADD-BCN-MAD

Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:35 pm

IAHWorldflyer wrote:
Why keep the plane on the ground all day in MAD? They could easily depart around 08:00 and be back in ADD by late afternoon.


Most (if not all) of ET's European flights follow the same schedule. Planes are parked in Europe during the whole day and only return to ADD late at night. Demand should be higher for the night flights, I guess.
 
IAHWorldflyer
Posts: 584
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:22 pm

Re: Ethiopian ADD-FCO-MAD to become ADD-BCN-MAD

Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:36 pm

fjmm92 wrote:
Ethiopian Airlines has modified Addis Ababa-Madrid route which has been added a stop at Barcelona (BCN) from 4 June 2018 instead of Rome (FCO).

23:15 ADD - 04:25 BCN 05:25 - 06:25 MAD 788 2 3 4 7
19:30 MAD - 20:30 BCN 22:45 - 05:50 ADD 788 1 2 3 5


Why keep the plane on the ground all day in MAD? They could easily depart around 08:00 and be back in ADD by late afternoon.
 
AF773
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:25 pm

Re: Ethiopian ADD-FCO-MAD to become ADD-BCN-MAD

Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:57 pm

IAHWorldflyer wrote:
fjmm92 wrote:
Ethiopian Airlines has modified Addis Ababa-Madrid route which has been added a stop at Barcelona (BCN) from 4 June 2018 instead of Rome (FCO).

23:15 ADD - 04:25 BCN 05:25 - 06:25 MAD 788 2 3 4 7
19:30 MAD - 20:30 BCN 22:45 - 05:50 ADD 788 1 2 3 5


Why keep the plane on the ground all day in MAD? They could easily depart around 08:00 and be back in ADD by late afternoon.



Most passengers transfer in ADD and there is a huge departure bank in the morning both domestic and to the rest of Africa.
Next flights: DCA-ATL-PNS; IAD-AMS-CDG-BOD-CDG-IAD; DCA-ATL-SAN; DCA-LGA; IAD-CDG-TLN; DCA-JFK-MEX-CUN-ATL-DCA; DCA-MSP-SEA; IAD-CDG-VCE
 
LIPZ
Posts: 520
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:29 am

Re: Ethiopian ADD-FCO-MAD to become ADD-BCN-MAD

Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:27 pm

behramjee wrote:
So it's 2 new EU destinations ie BCN and GVA from S18...correct?

Correct.

They also increase other destinations in Europe, with the most surprising being FCO wich goes from 7 to 9 weekly by introducing a new morning departure on Fr/Sa.
It's something uncommon since all the European flights leave at night.
 
SCQ83
Posts: 3633
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: Ethiopian ADD-FCO-MAD to become ADD-BCN-MAD

Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:05 pm

So how will flights combined with ET?

I can think of BCN-MAD, MXP-GVA, CPH-ARN (?), CDG-BRU, DUB-LAX... anyone has a full list?
 
LIPZ
Posts: 520
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:29 am

Re: Ethiopian ADD-FCO-MAD to become ADD-BCN-MAD

Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:27 pm

Considering July, it should be something like

ET 503/504 ADD-DUB-(LAX)-DUB-ADD 4xw
ET 700/701 ADD-LHR-ADD 7xw
ET 702/703 ADD-FCO-MXP-FCO-ADD 3xw
ET 704/705 ADD-CDG-ADD 7xw
ET 706/707 ADD-FRA-ADD 7xw
ET 712/713 ADD-BCN-MAD-BCN-ADD 4xw
ET 714/715 ADD-ARN-OSL-ARN-ADD 5xw
ET 724/725 ADD-VIE-BRU-VIE-ADD 7xw
ET 726/727 ADD-MXP-GVA-MXP-ADD 3xw
ET 732/733 ADD-FCO-ADD 2xw
ET 734/735 ADD-FCO-ADD 2xw
ET 736/737 ADD-FCO-ADD 2xw
 
Kadish
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:36 am

Re: Ethiopian ADD-FCO-MAD to become ADD-BCN-MAD

Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:00 pm

Is not more logic geographically speaking flying first to Más and then to BCN?
 
berari
Posts: 297
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:47 pm

Re: Ethiopian ADD-FCO-MAD to become ADD-BCN-MAD

Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:16 am

xorrygva wrote:
LIPZ wrote:
They are also launching new flights to Geneva 3 times per week (--3-5-7)


That's interesting news (for me at least :) ). Have they announced it officially yet? I cannot find anything recent.


ET usually loads the schedules into GDS/website then announces.

330lover wrote:
LIPZ wrote:
You can find it through their website (or GDS as well)

ET 726 ADD GVA 2310 0725 (-2-4-6-)
ET 727 GVA ADD 2045 0550 (--3-5-7)

with a techincal stop in MXP both ways



Technical seems strange to me. Distance between MXP and GVA is not that big, sure their aircraft don't need to stop on this route.
It's more a commercial stop, combining 2 destinations, if you ask me.


More commercial, since it will be carrying pax ADD-MXP. There is no 5th freedom rights on MXP-GVA-MXP, and it perhaps makes most economical sense to route via MXP than via FCO for example.

behramjee wrote:
So it's 2 new EU destinations ie BCN and GVA from S18...correct?


So far ...

Miguel1982 wrote:
IAHWorldflyer wrote:
Why keep the plane on the ground all day in MAD? They could easily depart around 08:00 and be back in ADD by late afternoon.


Most (if not all) of ET's European flights follow the same schedule. Planes are parked in Europe during the whole day and only return to ADD late at night. Demand should be higher for the night flights, I guess.


I believe this is the case. You may recall they had done a daytime ADD-FRA flight returning to ADD overnight. It didn't last beyond a season or two; now both ET and partner LH leave ADD at night with the ET aircraft parked at FRA all day for an overnight return.

LIPZ wrote:
behramjee wrote:
So it's 2 new EU destinations ie BCN and GVA from S18...correct?

Correct.

They also increase other destinations in Europe, with the most surprising being FCO wich goes from 7 to 9 weekly by introducing a new morning departure on Fr/Sa.
It's something uncommon since all the European flights leave at night.


This is the continuation of something good. Anyone following ET will have noticed that they are slowly building an afternoon bank at ADD, with flights arriving 1400-1500 and departing ADD 1600-1700. Notable flights are to East Africa, a nonstop to Guangzhou, one to Tel Aviv, and another to Delhi. The FCO flight is well timed to connect with the East African destinations. I'm most excited about this, and hope that it is not limited to the summer season (although it may be given the 2x frequency.) Gaining additional frequency to FCO has long been a challenge for ET.

A new addition to the afternoon bank is a third daily to Johannesburg. Today they have a daytime turnaround service using A350s and a night time B738 that is parked at JNB all day. By adding a third flight, all three (one A350 and two B738s) will turnaround within hours.

SCQ83 wrote:
So how will flights combined with ET?

I can think of BCN-MAD, MXP-GVA, CPH-ARN (?), CDG-BRU, DUB-LAX... anyone has a full list?


ET does not fly to CPH. Also, the ADD-CDG-BRU was decoupled, with ET only doing ADD-CDG and BRU being served via VIE. The latter service is going daily as of June, which may be scaled back in the winter as per previous years.

Kadish wrote:
Is not more logic geographically speaking flying first to Más and then to BCN?


Geographically speaking it makes sense to do ADD-BCN-MAD since BCN is closer to ADD than MAD. Geo-politically it may make more sense to do ADD-MAD-BCN but it appears that MAD is not strong enough to warrant a nonstop, that it can be sustained with a stop somewhere.
 
NichCage
Posts: 885
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:43 pm

Re: Ethiopian ADD-FCO-MAD to become ADD-BCN-MAD

Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:56 am

I think I read somewhere that ET wants to fly to MUC, but nothing has come up so far.

Why isn't BRU a non-stop terminator service from ADD? BRU has lots of demand for Africa, so I would imagine an daily or several weekly ADD-BRU-ADD service would work out pretty well.
 
Dominion301
Posts: 844
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Ethiopian ADD-FCO-MAD to become ADD-BCN-MAD

Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:01 pm

Do any of ET's multi-stops actually have 5th freedom rights? Evenidently BCN-MAD would not (well at least so long as BCN is still part of Spain :duck: ).
 
Skyblue39
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:34 am

Re: Ethiopian ADD-FCO-MAD to become ADD-BCN-MAD

Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:20 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
Do any of ET's multi-stops actually have 5th freedom rights? Evenidently BCN-MAD would not (well at least so long as BCN is still part of Spain :duck: ).


Dublin - Los Angeles - Dublin has traffic rights and picks up passengers in DUB to Addis Ababa and to LAX
 
berari
Posts: 297
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:47 pm

Re: Ethiopian ADD-FCO-MAD to become ADD-BCN-MAD

Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:00 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
Do any of ET's multi-stops actually have 5th freedom rights? Evenidently BCN-MAD would not (well at least so long as BCN is still part of Spain :duck: ).


The following do:
ARN-OSL-ARN
DUB-LAX-DUB

The following don't/wont:
VIE-BRU-VIE
MXP-GVA-MXP
BCN-MAD-BCN

NichCage wrote:
I think I read somewhere that ET wants to fly to MUC, but nothing has come up so far.

Why isn't BRU a non-stop terminator service from ADD? BRU has lots of demand for Africa, so I would imagine an daily or several weekly ADD-BRU-ADD service would work out pretty well.


Does BRU itself have a lot of demand for Africa, or is it that its homegrown airline has made big business out of Africa by funneling traffic into BRU from elsewhere and taking it to Africa and vice versa? The traffic you speak of is not confined to Eastern and Southern Africa where ET connectivity would make sense (colonial ties for Belgium only exist to Rwanda, Burundi and the DRC;) looking at Brussels Airlines' route map to Africa, you will notice that it serves a lot of West African destinations that would require some major backtracking from ADD. In fact, I don't recall ET serving BRU nonstop ever, while other newer European destinations have commanded such terminator service. Cargo remains big business for ET at BRU.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos