Gasman
Topic Author

Business class seats a weight issue on longhaul flights

Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:23 pm

http://aviationweek.com/aircraft-interi ... 23154f0547

Is it a slow news period in the aviation world? It never ceases to amaze me that "news" such as this makes the light of day. It's as if weight has just been discovered.

What am I missing here?
Last edited by atcsundevil on Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Non descriptive title

diverdave

Re: Stop Press - Weight is Heavy

Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:35 pm

Seems pretty straightforward:

"Airlines are finding that the business-class seats they have ordered for aircraft they plan to deploy on ultra-long-range routes are heavier than expected "

cledaybuck

Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:38 pm

Gasman wrote:
http://aviationweek.com/aircraft-interiors/business-class-seats-weighty-issue-ultra-long-range-flights?NL=AW-05&Issue=AW-05_20180103_AW-05_398&sfvc4enews=42&cl=article_1&utm_rid=CPEN1000001175085&utm_campaign=13127&utm_medium=email&elq2=23eddc8560c44216a55bed23154f0547

Is it a slow news period in the aviation world? It never ceases to amaze me that "news" such as this makes the light of day. It's as if weight has just been discovered.

What am I missing here?
What your missing is that the article says several business class seat manufacturer's seats are heavier than estimated to airlines and that this is a big deal for ULR routes. Much more than weight is heavy (which isn't even a true statement).

Gasman
Topic Author

Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:55 pm

cledaybuck wrote:
Gasman wrote:
http://aviationweek.com/aircraft-interiors/business-class-seats-weighty-issue-ultra-long-range-flights?NL=AW-05&Issue=AW-05_20180103_AW-05_398&sfvc4enews=42&cl=article_1&utm_rid=CPEN1000001175085&utm_campaign=13127&utm_medium=email&elq2=23eddc8560c44216a55bed23154f0547

What am I missing here?
What your missing is that the article says several business class seat manufacturer's seats are heavier than estimated to airlines and that this is a big deal for ULR routes. Much more than weight is heavy (which isn't even a true statement).

So someone guessed the weight of something in a weight critical industry and gets it wrong? News? No.

(And yes, you're completely correct - "weight is heavy" is not a true statement.)

NeBaNi

Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:40 pm

I notice the article is being ridiculed in the comments in the source as well. I think it's a case of Recaro trying to hype its products, and if you read the articles, no airline seems to be willing to come forward to shed light about any of the issues with other seat manufacturers that Recaro claims. If the issues were systemic, we would have seen airlines switch vendors, like AA did after the Zodiac fiasco.

gatibosgru

Re: Business class seats a weight issue on longhaul flights

Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:06 am

Sounds like a PR piece for Recaro.
@DadCelo

Kilopond

Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:39 am

Lots of airline managers are completely incompetent. Some morons even buy bulky IFE boxes with a technology that is as old as two decades.

I'm typing this from a very conveniant computer chair that has cost around 400 bugs. But it is based on steel and very heavy. Airlines should just accept that a light-weight version isn't just twice as expansive. At least a digit has to be added before determining the multiplier.

JustSomeDood

Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:39 am

Finally, a component within the aircraft that will fully leverage CFRPs advantages :lol:

oldannyboy

Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:42 am

I do have to say that business class seats have somewhat become the equivalent of what cumbersome SUVs are for regular cars. Have we all gone a bit too far with the design of said seats? Some really are like mini-suites, and although flying 'in' them is a pretty glorious experience, one tends to feel really rather isolated....which is precisely what most people want these days, I know....
On the other hand I think it's only fair that we should also reflect on the long term cost of carrying around all this dead weight. It does bother me quite a bit that you are not actually getting any extra SPACE for all that extra weight; it is simply dead weight to ensure a higher degree of privacy. You could easily have a fully flat seat with less whistles and bells and no shell around it, and shed off 30 or 40 Kgs per seat...
Put in other words, the new seat designs simply prove that wealthy humans can no longer stand the sight of equally similar beings while flying up front.