MichianaOrthx

Re: Chicago aviation news - 2018

Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:10 pm

I believe that MDW is currently at a critical point in its development, the city is investing all of this money into concessions and parking, but is doing little to deal with the underlying capacity issues that plague the airport.

The future of Chicago aviation is likely GYY, sure it is a mismanaged laughing stock, but it has good potential. The airport has a natural base of close to 1 million potential customers in NW Indiana, and it is not as far from the city as other tertiary airports like RFD or SBN. If somebody with some sense took control of the airport authority, and rerouted a spur of the South Shore Line into the airport, it would also have a public transit connection to downtown just like ORD and MDW.

The problem with GYY is that nobody has looked at it as anything more than a seasonal vacation/charter airport, when it would likely work better as a spoke on some of the major carrier's networks. It could easily end up becoming like PAE if it were properly managed imo.
Last edited by MichianaOrthx on Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mls515

Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:11 pm

stlgph wrote:

Massively far from perfect given the long taxi times if you're coming in on say 27R

The 27R taxi in is cake compared to 10R!

stlgph

Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:46 pm

United787 wrote:
stlgph wrote:
The rail tunnels into the CTA station in O'Hare are for CTA-sized cars, not for Metra sized cars.

The service might need it's own station parallel to the other... if they can fit it between the parking garage pylons.

OR

They could share the same station. Metra and CTA have the same standard track gauge. I don't think the ORD express trains would use the same double decker Metra trains. They would likely have their own dedicated rolling stock that is designed for people with baggage. It could be a train set that is designed to fit in the existing ORD station tunnels but maybe with overhead wires.

Also, I could see a west loop stop or park and ride stop near Western Ave.

Track gauge isn't the problem - it's the design of the tunnels. You pretty much would have to run with the same size as you have now for the CTA as anything larger, even if one level, might not fit in the tunnels due to curves. Those tunnel ceilings at O'Hare seem pretty tight as it is now. Might not be enough room for catenary.

Interesting viewpoints here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw_BbQoDv8o

((have you seen those, btw?? kind of cool - too bad you can't see more of the airfield action on the approach in and out of ORD))

If the design of the cars, does in fact, prove to be a problem, especially when it comes to length, there may still be a problem switching them over onto Metra lines (i.e. freight) given restrictions railroads have in place with axle requirements, and spacing of those axles, in order to activate signal crossings. For example, I believe when the Canadian North updated their signal crossing system, they switched requirements to a 32 axle train, in order to activate the signals at the crossings, which is why Amtrak started sending the Illini and Saluki trains out with empty baggage cars.

Again, don't quote me on the particulars here, but it definitely would be nice to have some transparency on the CTA about such things. I would like to think if such ventures could be carried out, they'd be carried out, but with my experience living in New York and seeing how the MTA manages things ..... it wouldn't surprise me if you could put the head of CTA in a room, tell him such ideas, and have him look at you and say "wow, we've never thought of that!"

It wouldn't surprise me if on a rail or public transit forum somewhere in the great void of cyber space, someone has thought this through on this very same topic, and has a lot more responses to technical questions.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Frontier14

Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:31 pm

jcwr56 wrote:
Frontier14 wrote:
Anyone know what gate Cape Air will be using for the ORD-DEC flights? Terminal 3?

Frontier 14

At L11 a/b where ACO operates from currently. They'll be sharing the hardstands and ticket counter.

:checkmark: :checkmark: Thanks

Frontier 14

United787

Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:59 pm

stlgph wrote:
Interesting viewpoints here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw_BbQoDv8o

((have you seen those, btw?? kind of cool - too bad you can't see more of the airfield action on the approach in and out of ORD))

Cool video and viewport. I see what you mean about the tunnels. Maybe it needs it's own tunnel then. I think it needs it's own unique train. I have been on the Leonardo Express at FCO and the Heathrow Express at LHR and both of those seemed like trains specifically designed for the purpose. Very comfortable but probably wider than the CTA trains, no?

stlgph

Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:32 pm

Hey now, it just wouldn't be Chicago without the CTA trains :)

Jenner43201

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:24 am

There are indeed other transportation forums which do discuss the idea of an express service train to O'Hare. The idea might seem good from a prestige point of view, but it seems to be highly uneconomic. You would have to buy lots of rolling stock, find a yard, get buy-in from CTA, Metra, and/or class-1 railroads, find scheduling at the departure station (presumably Union Station), etc. You really can't use the CTA tracks for the whole line as the Blue line doesn't have a 3rd track to allow trains to pass each other for express mode.

piedmontf284000

Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:41 am

ORDfan wrote:

What's interesting is that the city press release hints at 8 new international destinations coming this year. So far we know ADD, LGW, BUD, and VCE. Have I missed a few others recently, or is this referring to yet-to-be announced routes? Seems like AKL and MEL both are well-rumored, but they are just that: rumors. Impressive streak nonetheless and looking forward to what's coming!! Ya Chicago :D

AA added YYC and YVR in addition to VCE for 2018. VB starts CUN-ORD on the 17th of this month. The final one that was announced for 2018 was DUS-ORD on AB...which will obviously never happen.

Frontier14 wrote:
Anyone know what gate Cape Air will be using for the ORD-DEC flights? Terminal 3?

Frontier 14

Kind of funny that Cape Air will be sharing L11 with Air Choice One, as they will both be flying to DEC. I guess though there really isn't any other options.

MichianaOrthx wrote:

The future of Chicago aviation is likely GYY, sure it is a mismanaged laughing stock, but it has good potential. The airport has a natural base of close to 1 million potential customers in NW Indiana, and it is not as far from the city as other tertiary airports like RFD or SBN. If somebody with some sense took control of the airport authority, and rerouted a spur of the South Shore Line into the airport, it would also have a public transit connection to downtown just like ORD and MDW.

GYY, while the closest to the downtown area will just never get the support of the airlines. The facilities are lacking, there are no hotels/restaurants any where in the vicinity, the public transportation, as you alluded to, is awful. More importantly, the CDA would do everything in their power to keep airlines from starting up there as it would take away from their bottom line. Midway will eventually expand B and C but like ORD, who is going to pay for it? WN certainly isn't going to foot the bill if it means other airlines coming in. It wouldn't be until the late 20's before it happens as the Midway Modernization Program (MMP) won't be completed for at least 2 to three years from now.

yeogeo

Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:51 am

ORDfan wrote:
What's interesting is that the city press release hints at 8 new international destinations coming this year. So far we know ADD, LGW, BUD, and VCE. Have I missed a few others recently, or is this referring to yet-to-be announced routes? ...

piedmontf284000 wrote:
AA added YYC and YVR in addition to VCE for 2018. VB starts CUN-ORD on the 17th of this month. The final one that was announced for 2018 was DUS-ORD on AB...which will obviously never happen.

YYC, YVR & CUN are new destinations from O'Hare for American and Viva Aerobus, but they're obviously not new for ORD itself. Is it clear which "new" the press release is referring to?

yeo

piedmontf284000

Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:26 pm

yeogeo wrote:
ORDfan wrote:
What's interesting is that the city press release hints at 8 new international destinations coming this year. So far we know ADD, LGW, BUD, and VCE. Have I missed a few others recently, or is this referring to yet-to-be announced routes? ...

piedmontf284000 wrote:

YYC, YVR & CUN are new destinations from O'Hare for American and Viva Aerobus, but they're obviously not new for ORD itself. Is it clear which "new" the press release is referring to?

yeo

Agreed. Hard to say what officials at the CDA are referring to but certainly none of those destinations are new with multiple other airlines currently flying them daily. However I think this is a way for CDA officials to indirectly state there is new international service at ORD.

AAplat4life

Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:32 pm

It’s hard to imagine AA’s new ORD-YVR route succeeding. It departs ORD about 8 pm and then leaves YVR at about 10:30 pm arriving at ORD about 5:30 a.m. Maybe that’s when there was a spare 737, but the scheduling seems disappointing.

nmdrdh787

Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:08 am

piedmontf284000 wrote:
yeogeo wrote:
ORDfan wrote:

piedmontf284000 wrote:

yeo

Agreed. Hard to say what officials at the CDA are referring to but certainly none of those destinations are new with multiple other airlines currently flying them daily. However I think this is a way for CDA officials to indirectly state there is new international service at ORD.

They are probally referring to some new unannounced destinations as of yet... would doubt they would state existing like this.

ADrum23

Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:59 am

What is going on with the terminal/lease negotiations? I thought for sure we'd here something by now.......

ORDfan
Topic Author

Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:54 pm

United787 wrote:
2) Forget the Metra stop at the rental car facility. If the express train doesn't go all the way to the terminal complex, it will be all for nothing. A transfer to the ATS system would easily add 15-20 minutes, negating any savings earned by the express train. The heavy rail would have to split off from the Metra line around Balmoral and head underground to the terminals.

Fair point, but I don't think not connecting to the terminal is a deal-breaker. Again, have to refer to NJ Transit here, because that is what I envision being a relatively affordable/quick option. You have to take the Newark ATS as well. I wouldn't be so much a time-saving measure vs an express train, as it would be mostly a way to by-pass car-based transportation options and traffic.

MichianaOrthx wrote:
I believe that MDW is currently at a critical point in its development, the city is investing all of this money into concessions and parking, but is doing little to deal with the underlying capacity issues that plague the airport.

I totally agree about MDW being at a critical point, and also 100% agree that GYY should be considered as a viable option for the greater metro region's future aviation needs. I have also said the same thing for years. Certainly, it is more viable that a new 3rd airport in Peotone. Unfortunately, as piedmontf asserts, that option won't receive much support from the CDA but I don't think that matters. You have increasing regional cooperation across state lines with the Alliance for Regional Planning and the Chicago Metropolitan Agency. There is a growing realization that region as whole needs to work together. In fact, as ChicagoBusiness notes, one of the few bright spots for cooperation so far between IL/WI/IN is on transportation issues, such as expanding South Shore rail and Metra Electric line, and support the Elgin-O'Hare Expressway.

Again, I have to invoke EWR and NJ because that is the closest corollary for what I envision for the Chicagoland airports. NW Indiana's population is booming, of course, as some Chicago and collar county residents see property tax relief, and NW Indiana remains as much a part of Chicagoland as northern NJ does to metro-NYC. If anything, with so many Illinois transplants in NWI, it's probably more true than ever.

I think GYY and Indiana aviation department officials will have to use a "build it and they will come" approach, which is a difficult approach but not unusual for many government-back ventures, particularly in regards to infrastructure and transportation. Start with a terminal/parking, and see if Southwest and the other LCC would take a look. GYY should think about cargo as well. Hotels, restaurants, etc will follow accordingly. Sure, CDA may not directly support GYY growth, but eventually, I can see the RTA and NICTD working together for rail-based public transportation options, as they are doing for the Metra Electric line and South Shore line above.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/ ... egionalism

timberwolf24

Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:42 pm

Any word on the T5 expansion? I thought construction was to have stared by now.
Living in LA, ORD/MDW will always be home!

stlgph

Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:55 pm

Terminal 5 expansion is years away.

ADrum23

Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:37 pm

stlgph wrote:
Terminal 5 expansion is years away.

Maybe the Terminal 2 revamp, but the 9 gate Terminal 5 expansion should be getting underway anytime now, as that won't require the approval of UA/AA as the gates will be common use.

stlgph

Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:39 pm

A proposed Terminal 5 expansion would be funded by the use of common bonds and new airport ticket tax revenue. None of which has happened, and takes time.

FH227

Re: Chicago Aviation News

Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:11 pm

[quote="ORDfan"]November data posted on ATD. Synopsis: ORD back in the black on YTD domestic passenger growth, and international growth continues to shine.

MDW losing some ground on domestic Y-O-Y, which is weighing on yearly totals, despite also good international growth. Anyone have any theories on what's slowing MDW down? I'll be honest: I've been so disappointed with Southwest on-time issues/delays, I've virtually stopped using them unless I'm burning Rewards points for personal travel.... once I'm out of RR, will have to think long and hard about giving any $$$ to LUV.

SWA has operational reliability issues at MDW.

jplatts

Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:46 pm

ORDfan wrote:
I totally agree about MDW being at a critical point, and also 100% agree that GYY should be considered as a viable option for the greater metro region's future aviation needs. I have also said the same thing for years. Certainly, it is more viable that a new 3rd airport in Peotone. Unfortunately, as piedmontf asserts, that option won't receive much support from the CDA but I don't think that matters. You have increasing regional cooperation across state lines with the Alliance for Regional Planning and the Chicago Metropolitan Agency. There is a growing realization that region as whole needs to work together. In fact, as ChicagoBusiness notes, one of the few bright spots for cooperation so far between IL/WI/IN is on transportation issues, such as expanding South Shore rail and Metra Electric line, and support the Elgin-O'Hare Expressway.

Again, I have to invoke EWR and NJ because that is the closest corollary for what I envision for the Chicagoland airports. NW Indiana's population is booming, of course, as some Chicago and collar county residents see property tax relief, and NW Indiana remains as much a part of Chicagoland as northern NJ does to metro-NYC. If anything, with so many Illinois transplants in NWI, it's probably more true than ever.

I think GYY and Indiana aviation department officials will have to use a "build it and they will come" approach, which is a difficult approach but not unusual for many government-back ventures, particularly in regards to infrastructure and transportation. Start with a terminal/parking, and see if Southwest and the other LCC would take a look. GYY should think about cargo as well. Hotels, restaurants, etc will follow accordingly. Sure, CDA may not directly support GYY growth, but eventually, I can see the RTA and NICTD working together for rail-based public transportation options, as they are doing for the Metra Electric line and South Shore line above.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/ ... egionalism

I agree that Southwest could start service out of GYY if the main terminal is either renovated and significantly expanded or if a new terminal is built. Runway 12-30 at GYY, which is the main runway at GYY, is much longer than the runways at MDW (and approximately the same length as Runway 13R-31L at WN's DAL home base).

GYY is much closer to many of the southern suburbs of Chicago (including some on the IL side of the IL-IN border) than ORD is.

If Southwest decides to start service out of GYY, Southwest could start with nonstop service to ATL, BWI, CMH, DEN, MCI, MSP, BNA, and STL from GYY. Southwest could also add nonstop service from GYY to at least BOS, DAL, FLL, HOU, LAS, LAX, OAK, MCO, PHX, SAN, and TPA during the 1st year of operation at GYY if it starts service out of GYY.

Other destinations that WN could add nonstop service to out of GYY include AUS, BUF, CVG, CLE, DTW, SDF, MSY, LGA, EWR, OMA, PHL, PIT, PDX, RDU, SAT, SEA, and DCA.

WN could even expand GYY to become another WN focus city with at least 100 daily departures and nonstop service to at least 34 destinations.
Last edited by jplatts on Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ORDfan
Topic Author

Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:48 pm

Judging by the timeline the city offered when the original O'hare 21 plans were revealed at the of end of 2016, it does appear that the T5 extension is running behind schedule. I don't have any official sources, but I believe they are still in the site prep/surveying portion of the plan. On a flight back in November we took off on 4R/22L and we taxi'd past T5, of course; I noticed there were airport trucks and vans blocking off a zone off M20/M21 for what looked like survey-work, with numerous staff walking around the tarmac. In my head at least, that's what I thought. If that was indeed the case, then the plan looks to be roughly one year behind the original schedule. I haven't seen that part of airport since, so not sure if there is any site work currently in progress. I wonder if anyone else has seen any additional work??

The good news is the construction itself doesn't appear that it will take too long; by this timeline, less than 2yrs from the start of construction.

FromGSPtoChi

Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:20 am

For at least the second time this winter, Southwest Airlines had trouble de-icing planes at Midway Airport, leaving hundreds of passengers stranded.

On Sunday, the Chicago Department of Aviation’s website showed cancellations of all Southwest Airlines flights departing Midway. A Southwest Airlines representative sent a written statement in response to inquiries regarding the flights.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... story.html

Jenner43201

Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:00 am

I've been following GYY off and on to see how things are going. GYY is well situated with 3 major interstates and a large runway. Unfortunately, Midway and O'Hare have gobbled up the bulk of commercial aviation and cargo aviation, leaving crumbs for Gary/Chicago. They just recently hired a new airport director, so we'll see how he is going to sell his airport to major carriers. The last commercial aviation carrier was Allegiant, and they couldn't get the loads to sustain service. However, last year, GYY created a customs facility, saw traffic and fuel increase, so the airport is on the up-and-up (http://www.nwitimes.com/business/local/gary-airport-gets-approval-for-u-s-customs-facility/article_a492efa6-e66f-5842-99ac-c8da17824576.html).

There is no way that Southwest will move their flights toward GYY. They have a huge hub operation at Midway, and I don't see that going away. The only commercial flights I see will be some low cost carriers, such as Allegiant (low probability), Frontier (they seem happy at O'Hare), and Spirit (they could pull it off). Maybe you can mix in some low cost international carriers as a probability. I could see some cargo operations at GYY, given all the truck companies in the area and the aforementioned 3 interstates.

ORDfan wrote:
I think GYY and Indiana aviation department officials will have to use a "build it and they will come" approach, which is a difficult approach but not unusual for many government-back ventures, particularly in regards to infrastructure and transportation. Start with a terminal/parking, and see if Southwest and the other LCC would take a look. GYY should think about cargo as well. Hotels, restaurants, etc will follow accordingly.

Totally agree.

muralir

Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:49 pm

MichianaOrthx wrote:

Is MDW primarily gate-constrained or runway-constrained?

Just curious, as new gates would be much easier to build than new runways. In fact, if new runways are required at MDW, it would probably be easier to build a new airport somewhere else given how built up the surrounding areas are.

Also, I believe MDW has waivers from the FAA for minimum buffer zones around its runways (since the airport is so old, it's grandfathered from new regulations). I bet any new construction won't get such waivers, plus the FAA would probably push to correct some of the existing deficiencies, which means the amount of land acquisition needed for any runway expansion would be enormous. OTOH, all of that land would be in the city of Chicago, which makes it politically much easier than dealing with multiple suburbs and counties like they had to do for ORD.

stlgph

Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:00 pm

MDW = Gate constrained.

United787

Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:49 pm

I believe the CDA actually supports commercial flights at GYY. I believe the strategy is if Gary becomes successful, it will reduce the "need" for a third airport in Peotone which doesn't seem to die. A blank slate airport in Peotone, for as stupid as it is, will be potentially a bigger threat than GYY ever could be. Didn't the CDA actually send some of their equipment to GYY and also help fund some things? This all started under Daley.

"GYY is a member of the Chicago/Gary Regional Airport Authority, an interstate compact agreement between the cities of Gary and Chicago. The agreement links GYY with Chicago O’Hare International Airport and Midway International Airport as part of a regional network of airports in the Chicago Metropolitan region."

https://flygyy.com/gyy-governance-and-management/

yeogeo

Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:37 pm

Sorry if this has already been discussed...
What a pain!... especially if one were to be transiting between T-5 and T-1/2/3 trying to make a connection after an international flight.
I assume the disruption is due to work on adding the ATS' new section to the Consolidated facility.

chicawgo

Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:58 pm

yeogeo wrote:
Sorry if this has already been discussed...
What a pain!... especially if one were to be transiting between T-5 and T-1/2/3 trying to make a connection after an international flight.
I assume the disruption is due to work on adding the ATS' new section to the Consolidated facility.

How do you suggest they double the trains, add new track and redo the entire system? Honestly I think it’s pretty commendable they found a way to do it only shutting it down at night.

kordcj

Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:14 pm

United787 wrote:
I believe the CDA actually supports commercial flights at GYY. I believe the strategy is if Gary becomes successful, it will reduce the "need" for a third airport in Peotone which doesn't seem to die. A blank slate airport in Peotone, for as stupid as it is, will be potentially a bigger threat than GYY ever could be. Didn't the CDA actually send some of their equipment to GYY and also help fund some things? This all started under Daley.

"GYY is a member of the Chicago/Gary Regional Airport Authority, an interstate compact agreement between the cities of Gary and Chicago. The agreement links GYY with Chicago O’Hare International Airport and Midway International Airport as part of a regional network of airports in the Chicago Metropolitan region."

https://flygyy.com/gyy-governance-and-management/

I think Chicago sends quite a bit of support to GYY every year. Wasn’t this compact agreement formed when the state threatened to take over ORD/MDW from the city? I’ll have to look it up, but I remember reading that this was whole idea was a way to block the state takeover. IL wants the tax money generated from ORD/MDW as Chicago currently gets it all. That tax revenue is also why IL continues to push Peotone, and why the city continues to promote Gary.
The most obvious proof for intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't tried to contact us.

yeogeo

Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:16 pm

Point taken, chicawgo. Just was thinking I dodged a bullet when returning from Japan last week which involved the ATS and a connection to Terminal 2. Its always a stressful little journey especially when one is not level-headed after a long flight. Adding in a wait for a bus would just add to the sense of the clock ticking.

I do understand the work needs to be done, however and look forward to the consolidated facility being completed.
yeo

ckfred

Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:13 pm

It's great that AA is placing emphasis on ORD-LGA, but back in the days of regulation, there were 3 shuttle-type operations, AA, TW, and UA. AA and UA ran flights from 6am to 8pm, leaving on the hour. TW flights left at 45 minutes past the hour, from 6:45 to 8:45.

Granted, AA got away from hourly service, probably within the last 10 or 15 years, when ORD went to the rolling hub.

It's great that AA will have dedicated gates at ORD for LGA departures. But, I don't recall seing LGA departures on H or K, much past gate 10. It seems like departures from the end of H or the end of K are for places like Tampa, Orange County, Orlando, or even San Francisco. The closer gates are for LGA, LAX, DFW, and BOS.

Flanker7

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:31 pm

KLM will reduce it's 747 operation to ORD. It will be a combination of 777 and 747 as of now. Shame but with the 747 fleet shrinking fast it's inevitable.
Flying blue only if possible

chicawgo

Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:09 pm

ckfred wrote:
It's great that AA is placing emphasis on ORD-LGA, but back in the days of regulation, there were 3 shuttle-type operations, AA, TW, and UA. AA and UA ran flights from 6am to 8pm, leaving on the hour. TW flights left at 45 minutes past the hour, from 6:45 to 8:45.

Granted, AA got away from hourly service, probably within the last 10 or 15 years, when ORD went to the rolling hub.

It's great that AA will have dedicated gates at ORD for LGA departures. But, I don't recall seing LGA departures on H or K, much past gate 10. It seems like departures from the end of H or the end of K are for places like Tampa, Orange County, Orlando, or even San Francisco. The closer gates are for LGA, LAX, DFW, and BOS.

What do you mean they got away from hourly service? Over the past 10-15 years they’ve generally had MORE than hourly service - sometimes on the half hour. And always stayed mainline. UA had some years where almost all were regional.

kordcj

Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:26 am

Flanker7 wrote:
KLM will reduce it's 747 operation to ORD. It will be a combination of 777 and 747 as of now. Shame but with the 747 fleet shrinking fast it's inevitable.

Will the 777 be a -300 or -200?
The most obvious proof for intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't tried to contact us.

Flanker7

Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:19 am

kordcj wrote:
Flanker7 wrote:

Will the 777 be a -300 or -200?

It will be a 777-200 but they can be flexible with the fleet so a 300 might show it's face now and then.
Flying blue only if possible

United787

Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:36 pm

I am in line to take off at ORD right now and I am amazed that the line is so long post runway reconfiguration even with the heavy fog. They are only using 2 runways for departures 10L/28R and 4R/22L and two for arrivals 10C/28C and 9L/27R. Why aren’t they using 10R/28L and 9R/27L?

airstatdfw

Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:18 pm

United787 wrote:
I am in line to take off at ORD right now and I am amazed that the line is so long post runway reconfiguration even with the heavy fog. They are only using 2 runways for departures 10L/28R and 4R/22L and two for arrivals 10C/28C and 9L/27R. Why aren’t they using 10R/28L and 9R/27L?

ORD always normally uses 2 departure Rwys 28R and 22L. With the Low visabilty they wouldn’t be able to use 33. They are landing 27R, 27L and 28C. If you land 28L you cant use 22L for departures. You also have to remember the airlines schedule for VFR and things slow down when your are IFR or LIFR as you can no longer use visual.

yeogeo

Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:31 am

A little puzzle for the O'Hare experts visiting this thread. Where is this taken on the field??

I originally challenged the listed location of this photograph to the powers that be here on A-net, but was overruled. This aircraft did land on the day specified around 4pm in light drizzle with one and one-half miles visibility; those are the facts. But studying the background I can't identify anything remotely resembling ORD, which I know quite well. Seems strange to me. Any thoughts?

yeo

sircygnus

Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:02 am

There is a hill on the west side, but this would be looking North. I don’t see any of the plentiful hangars, or buildings to speak of. Plus it looks like there are mountains or at least sizable hills in the background. I’m with you, seriously doubt this ORD

ORDfan
Topic Author

Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:19 am

yeogeo wrote:
A little puzzle for the O'Hare experts visiting this thread. Where is this taken on the field??

Wow, that is a weird one. I'm a little mind-blown actually as well. I think the fog in the background is deceiving and possibly blocking some of the airport infrastructure and hangers.

If I had to hazard a guess: I'm thinking this was taken somewhere on Iriving Park Road around the S curve off 10R, approaching York Road. Likely facing 10C or 10L. There would be some small hills and a fence with barb wire in the foreground, and there are piles of ground/gravel/dirt etc on the North side of the 10L taxiway, which appear the in the distant background. Perhaps the fog and low cloud cover are covering the hanger structures closer to 9L-27R, which are quite a ways away. The fog giving the illusion that they are missing??

I don't know, that's the best I can think of at the moment....

yeogeo

Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:18 pm

ORDfan wrote:
Wow, that is a weird one. I'm a little mind-blown actually as well....
If I had to hazard a guess: I'm thinking this was taken somewhere on Iriving Park Road around the S curve off 10R, approaching York Road. Likely facing 10C or 10L....

I know, I know... I've been stewing about this one for weeks.
So if you're right about location of the photographer, this a/c has to be landing on 10C, right? 747's never land on 10R, do they? If I lived in the Chicago area I'd locate that weedy pile in the foreground and the yellow arrow sign and see in what direction he took this shot; perhaps looking straight north, west of the cargo ramps? Unfortunately, its the only photograph he published on that day.

At first I was convinced this wasn't O'Hare - absolutely sure, but now, after looking at the photographer's other shots, I know he's an accomplished spotter (and travels extensively, all around the world), and unless his records of his shots got mixed up, I think he did indeed take this photo at O'Hare in conditions that amazingly did not show any identifying structures or other aircraft - quite a feat at a typical 4 o'clock in the afternoon at O'Hare.

Thought it was interesting though!
yeo

stlgph

Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:41 pm

Can you search for previous flights with the registration number?

yeogeo

Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:30 pm

stlgph wrote:

Sure! I can see one year back on most any commercial a/c with its reg# on Flightradar24 and did, but it really didn't get very far except to confirm that it did land at O'Hare on that day around 4pm.

yeo

ZBA2CGX

Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:00 pm

for registered users you can see it here https://flightaware.com/live/flight/CKK ... /PANC/KORD
Flightradar24 only allows it for Gold Members ;)

It looks like it landed on 10C, maybe 10L

jcwr56

Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:22 pm

I'd say 10C with a backtaxi behind 10L. He probably took the shot on the western end towards where the hangars are visible and construction is taking place on the north side. Perhaps off Irving. Taft Road isn't possible as SE cargo is in the way. Maybe where DL cargo is...although they'd shoo him away if he wasn't part of flight watch. Then there's the far western parking lot...just spit balling locations.

stlgph

Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:25 pm

yeogeo wrote:
stlgph wrote:

Sure! I can see one year back on most any commercial a/c with its reg# on Flightradar24 and did, but it really didn't get very far except to confirm that it did land at O'Hare on that day around 4pm.

yeo

Hmmm, no other airports around those day or times with the same viewpoint? Apologies - that's what I was getting at in my first inquiry.

The great A.Net mystery of February 16!! :)

yeogeo

Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:34 pm

stlgph wrote:
no other airports around those day or times with the same viewpoint? Apologies - that's what I was getting at in my first inquiry. The great A.Net mystery of February 16!! :)

Ah, I see what you were getting at. No others in the database from that spotter or any other on that day at O'Hare. I wish!
I also looked through his shots before and after, which were all over the world and no, no conditions remotely resembling the shot in question.
yeo

CHIMAA

Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:32 am

Expect to get a Second A380 ( Qatar or Emirates) to ORD. This is purely my guess based on below that chicago airport operator,BA & EK or QR would have worked this out .

BA changing A380 Timings- from routesonline.com

British Airways in recent weeks filed planned Airbus A380 service changes for London Heathrow – Chicago O’Hare route. Previously scheduled to commence on 04MAY18 as BA295/294, the A380 is now scheduled to operate BA297/296. Planned schedule as follows.

BA295 LHR1030 – 1310ORD 744 D
BA297 LHR1605 – 1845ORD 388 D

BA294 ORD1710 – 0650+1LHR 744 D
BA296 ORD2055 – 1040+1LHR 388 D

stlgph

Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:24 am

Emirates flies out at 8:45.
Qatar at 6:50.

ckfred

Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:12 pm

Does anyone know when AA's new gates on L open? I had to drop off my wife today at ORD. The concourse appears to be close to done. Although, I always liked the view of the "odd" side of L, after driving past Terminal 3. Now, it's just a wall of the connector from the terminal to the concourse addition.

If what I have heard is correct, that the new L gates will lead to some Eagle gates elsewhere going back to mainline, which gates would return to mainline operations?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos