KiloEchoVictor
Topic Author

GA considers removing ATR 72s, Bombardier CRJ-1000s from its fleet as early as this year

Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:20 pm

As stated in FlightGlobal:
The airline has also said that it is considering removing smaller aircraft such as the ATR and Bombardier CRJ from its fleet, and in its latest investor presentation lists finding a "solution" for the two aircraft types as an objective for 2018.

Some thoughts:
- I think IW is going to monopolize the regional flights market in Indonesia (with the bankruptcy of KD in mind), in case this is true.
- With this statement, it seems that an order for the Bombardier CS100 (by GA) is imminent.
- However, I sense little connection to GA's recent losses (I may be wrong, though).

Any thoughts?

Source:
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/garuda-defers-all-new-aircraft-deliveries-in-2018-444805/

trent768

Re: GA considers removing ATR 72s, Bombardier CRJ-1000s from its fleet as early as this year

Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:47 pm

There's a rumour (again, just a rumour) that the AT7 will be transferred to QG and the C Series is under negotiations.

I think it make sense that QG should be the operator, because that's the intention when they ordered it. As for the CRK, they didn't performed as well as they hoped for. It was intended to serve some small airport with short runway, but apparently they need longer runway. So they were used on some long thin routes instead, something the C Series would have suits better.

KiloEchoVictor
Topic Author

Re: GA considers removing ATR 72s, Bombardier CRJ-1000s from its fleet as early as this year

Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:24 am

trent768 wrote:
I think it make sense that QG should be the operator, because that's the intention when they ordered it.

Same here. In that case, it would make a better competitor to IW. An example: in a lot of regional flights ex-KNO, IW beats GA (in terms of prices) in a lot of cases. Handing over its regional ops to QG makes more sense, as doing so will cut its prices.

trent768 wrote:
As for the CRK, they didn't performed as well as they hoped for. It was intended to serve some small airport with short runway, but apparently they need longer runway. So they were used on some long thin routes instead, something the C Series would have suits better.

Case in point: KNO-UPG. This may be a little off-topic, but I feel that a lot of comfort is compromised on this
flight (it's a 3h50min flight and yet there is no IFE, something which is highly unusual for GA, as a 5* airline).

CRJ900

Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:45 am

One CRJ1000, PK-GRC, has disappeared from the fleet overview on FR24 - has it been retired from service?

IIRC, GA owns six CRK and leases 12 from NAC. Is it cheaper to retire the owned frames now and fly the leased ones until leases expire, return them and that's it?

Could the owned CRK be traded in for CS100/300 with BBD? If the CS100 can blast off a 1,500-metre long runway with a full house they will be pretty useful for smaller airports.
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

trent768

Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:44 pm

@CRJ900 yep, some sort of trade in was the first thing that pops up in my mind. With the DL C Series drama still going on, I'm sure BBD will be happy to find a new customer to fill the gap for a while.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos