Last flight Feb 28th.

https://t.co/rbdb9FckZt

=

Market did not even last 2-years
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

neomax

Re: LATAM ending IAD service

Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:11 pm

IAD serves Washington DC, so a decline in political/diplomatic traffic from South American countries in the current climate would not surprise me.

dcajet

Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:12 pm

LATAM had to fight for a piece of the capital region to South America market with COPA. CM offers way more connections from IAD via PTY than LP via LIM.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

janders

Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:17 pm

LATAM not afraid to cut routes. They dropped SFO after only little more than 2 years also.

I wonder how upcoming BOS will do?
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

FSDan

Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:43 pm

It's too bad to see this route dropped. There are still ample connections from WAS to deep South America, though. AA through MIA, CM through PTY, AV through BOG, DL through ATL. Maybe even some out-of-the box options like DCA-MCO/FLL-Brazil on B6+AD.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

FSDan

Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:47 pm

Also, I wonder if UA would start IAD-LIM in the future... It seems like a 752 might be the right aircraft for the route, and if UA were to codeshare with Avianca Peru on the LIM end, they could provide a decent number of unique South America connections and get feed on both ends of the route.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

LoudounHound

Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:04 pm

FSDan wrote:
Also, I wonder if UA would start IAD-LIM in the future... It seems like a 752 might be the right aircraft for the route, and if UA were to codeshare with Avianca Peru on the LIM end, they could provide a decent number of unique South America connections and get feed on both ends of the route.

Yes, I had the same thought. UA sends a daily 752 from EWR. If that flight performs well with O&D, then perhaps they could shift most northeast connecting traffic to IAD. Admittedly, though, UA has shown little appetite for this approach on other Central and South American routes, preferring to use code shares instead.

The LATAM flight never made it beyond 3x/wk, I believe, and the 763 was too big for the route.

dcajet

Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:05 pm

FSDan wrote:

Wouldn't such a flight cannibalize its already existing EWR-LIM service to a certain extent? I am thinking along the lines of IAD-EZE, that was chopped in favor of EWR-EZE. Only GRU has enough volume to support direct service from both EWR & IAD. EWR commands a better revenue premium over IAD.

And while I realize this is a personal opinion, LIM has to be the most user unfriendly airport for connections. Packed to the gills at rush hour (midnight), no dedicated airline lounges, never ending stairs, up and down; escalators? HA! and long and grumpy security controls. PTY and BOG are streets ahead of LIM as connection hubs.

CapitalAvGeek

Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:25 pm

Here is the load factor and passenger data from the DOT (May of 2016 to July of 2017). I know this data does not tell the full story of how the airline was doing on this route, but I thought it was beneficial for discussion. Looks like LATAM had some good load factors in the northern summer but other times were a bit lower.
LIM-IAD ................... IAD-LIM
82.9% MAY........... 82.9% MAY
78.6% JUN........... 78.6% JUN
80.8% JUL............ 80.8% JUL
90.4% AUG........... 90.4% AUG
68.4% SEPT.......... 68.4% SEPT
59.7% OCT............ 59.7% OCT
65.8% NOV............ 65.8% NOV
59.3% DEC............ 59.3% DEC
74.0% MAY-DEC .. 74.0% MAY-DEC
Passengers ....Seats................... Passengers..... Seats
2523............... 3042 MAY........... 2523............... 3042 MAY
2582............... 3286. JUN ........... 2582...............3286 JUN
3431............... 4248 JUL ........... 3431...............4248 JUL
3611............... 3995 AUG........... 3611............... 3995 AUG
2584............... 3776. SEPT......... 2584............... 3776 SEPT
1978............... 3316 OCT........... 1978............... 3316 OCT
1866............... 2836 NOV........... 1866............... 2836 NOV
1820............... 3068 DEC........... 1820............... 3068 DEC
20395............27567 MAY-DEC... 20395............ 27567 MAY-DEC

LIM-IAD.....................IAD-LIM
85.9% JAN............ 67.0% JAN
60.4% FEB ........... 80.0% FEB
77.1% MAR........... 66.8% MAR
77.4% APR ........... 66.9% APR
75.3% MAY........... 73.1% MAY
74.3% JUN ........... 93.1% JUN
88.5% JUL ........... 92.7% JUL
77.4% JAN-JUL... 76.9% JAN-JUL
Passengers..... Seats .................. Passengers..... Seats
2838............... 3304 JAN ...........2213............... 3304 JAN
1710............... 2832 FEB ...........2267............... 2832FEB
2380............... 3088 MAR ..........2064............... 3088 MAR
2375............... 3068 APR ...........2055............... 3070 APR
2494............... 3310 MAY...........2420............... 3312 MAY
2109............... 2840 JUN...........2648............... 2844 JUN
2931............... 3310 JUL...........3077............... 3320 JUL
16837...........21752 JAN-JUL. ...16744.............21770 JAN-JUL

NickolayAv

Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:27 pm

janders wrote:
LATAM not afraid to cut routes. They dropped SFO after only little more than 2 years also.

I think BOS will do just fine, keep in mind the flight is to Sao Paulo, which is a much bigger market than Lima, especially with Boston's limited service to South America there should be plenty of demand to keep the flight.
"If you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline"-Richard Branson

gatibosgru

Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:14 am

Is GRU-SFO too much for a 763? Maybe they could flip that bird and send it to SFO from GRU. After BOS and LAS being announced I hold out hope for the bay area (I doubt UA would try it).
Last edited by gatibosgru on Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
@DadCelo

gatibosgru

Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:16 am

NickolayAv wrote:
janders wrote:

I think BOS will do just fine, keep in mind the flight is to Sao Paulo, which is a much bigger market than Lima, especially with Boston's limited service to South America there should be plenty of demand to keep the flight.

And a significant Brazilian population in Massachusetts as well, I think it'll do well too.
@DadCelo

dcajet

Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:41 am

gatibosgru wrote:
Is GRU-SFO too much for a 763? Maybe they could flip that bird and send it to SFO from GRU. After BOS and LAS being announced I hold out hope for the bay area (I doubt UA would try it).

SFO-GRU would end up relying mostly on p2p US- Brazil traffic and connections from Asia. On the other end, GRU is not the best located airport for connections other than EZE, MVD and domestic. If LIM did not work with many more connecting opportunities, GRU doesn't stand a chance. There is a reason why UA stays clear of the US West Coast to South America market and funnels it via IAH. The premium traffic is just not there and the volume is being taken care of by CM, with, soon, 3 daily flights to PTY.

Additionally, for LATAM, a South America - SFO flight overlaps with its South America - LAX flights. To a certain extent, both flights end up fighting for some of the same markets. LATAM has better connecting opportunities with its OW partner AA @ LAX.

Southamerica

Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:02 am

dcajet wrote:
LATAM had to fight for a piece of the capital region to South America market with COPA

Not only with Copa, but with Avianca which is actually larger in IAD with 2x daily departures to SAL and 1x daily departure to BOG. Thinking about it, maybe LATAM would've had a better chance starting this route from their BOG hub; considerably shorter and could have been flown with smaller A319/A320 equiment.

2travel2know2

Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:26 am

LATAM could well have just moved IAD flight to BWI, that way at least it'd offer an slightly different product than AV and CM @ IAD.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

zakuivcustom

Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:28 am

neomax wrote:
IAD serves Washington DC, so a decline in political/diplomatic traffic from South American countries in the current climate would not surprise me.

Tells you how little you know about politics and also Washington in general. Not all traffic from IAD are political/diplomatic traffic (more like those are a tiny drop in the bucket).

dcajet wrote:
gatibosgru wrote:

SFO-GRU would end up relying mostly on p2p US- Brazil traffic and connections from Asia. On the other end, GRU is not the best located airport for connections other than EZE, MVD and domestic. If LIM did not work with many more connecting opportunities, GRU doesn't stand a chance. There is a reason why UA stays clear of the US West Coast to South America market and funnels it via IAH. The premium traffic is just not there and the volume is being taken care of by CM, with, soon, 3 daily flights to PTY.

Additionally, for LATAM, a South America - SFO flight overlaps with its South America - LAX flights. To a certain extent, both flights end up fighting for some of the same markets. LATAM has better connecting opportunities with its OW partner AA @ LAX.

The problem with SFO is that demand (including VFR/business tie) is not all that big. Just from a VFR perspective, Colombian are concentrated around NYC and Miami area followed by Tampa, Orlando, LA, and Houston. Peruvian? NYC, Miami, LA, DC. Chilean? Miami, LA, NYC, DC. Similar things can be said for Argentine, Brazilian (Although big Brazilian community around Boston), Venezuelan, etc. (With apologies to Bolivian, Ecuadorian, Uruguayan, Paraguayan, Guyanese, and Surinamese :rotfl: ). Hence not only UA doesn't fly to any South American destination, neither does LATAM or Avianca.

dcajet wrote:
And while I realize this is a personal opinion, LIM has to be the most user unfriendly airport for connections. Packed to the gills at rush hour (midnight), no dedicated airline lounges, never ending stairs, up and down; escalators? HA! and long and grumpy security controls. PTY and BOG are streets ahead of LIM as connection hubs.

This I agree with. LIM is just not a great airport in general.
Last edited by zakuivcustom on Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

dcajet

Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:34 am

2travel2know2 wrote:
LATAM could well have just moved IAD flight to BWI, that way at least it'd offer an slightly different product than AV and CM @ IAD.

BWI is not a premium traffic airport. The opposite, rather.

Additionally, all the communities in the DC area that generate traffic to South America are located in DC and VA mostly, and suburban MD (Montgomery Co) to a lesser extent. IAD is much more convenient to those travelers.

abrelosojos

Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:47 am

Not surprised. Local market was tiny and the flight just did not seem to generate higher yielding connections as it should have.

Saludos,
Alex
Live, and let live.

mercure1

Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:13 am

Interesting LATAM does not seem to have the best experience with North America service. Routes like SFO, YYZ and now IAD dropped.
mercure f-wtcc

dcajet

Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:07 am

mercure1 wrote:
Interesting LATAM does not seem to have the best experience with North America service. Routes like SFO, YYZ and now IAD dropped.

Location, location, location. Its hubs are located too far south compared to the competition - AV & CM. The distance to its hubs, in turn, begs for longer range aircraft and those 763s may just be too big for an all year profitable operation - especially for destinations like SFO & IAD that don't have high demand to South America. YYZ had horrible schedules and that stop @ JFK with the US CBP processing made the route bomb.

On the positive side, I like LATAM's no nonsense approach to its network: tried it, didn't work out, they move on. There are more fish in the ocean. Hopefully with both LAS and BOS we'll sing a different tune.

EddieDude

Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:48 am

I want to add a little something that may or may not be the case in this particular route. I am a huge fan of nonstops, really. Would not hesitate to pay more for a nonstop over a one-stop if it is business-related (doh) but also even if it is for pleasure (as long as the difference is not super huge). I am sure many people think like me on this. Having said that, D.C. is a very interesting case where an exception to this rule could be made. I could see myself flying XXX-YYY-DCA (where XXX is my home airport and YYY is a large and "easy" transfer hub in the U.S.) instead of XXX-IAD in order to get to D.C., simply because of the convenience of landing at DCA and being in my hotel room or Airbnb only a few minutes later (yes, my hometown airport has two airlines offering nonstops to IAD). My point is that I don't know if IAD could scare away potential users of new routes involving IAD who are aware of the location of IAD vs. DCA and who really value convenience.
Upcoming AM MEX-CUN 73H (Y), UX CUN-MAD A332 (Y), KL MAD-AMS 739 (J), AM AMS-MEX 788 (J).

thgsr08

Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:40 am

LIM wasn't the best HUB for this flight. GRU/SCL/EZE-LIM-IAD is just too much. Even IAD was the wrong destination. Also, a B76W is too big. Everything was wrong from the beginning. It sounds like there was no research before opening up the route.
:checkeredflag:

janders

Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:03 am

Sounds like LATAM could use an aircraft like the MoM, where widebody capacity is too much, while narrowbodies dont have the range.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

mercure1

Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:55 pm

Good point. Something like the MOM might help todays marginal markets possible tomorrow.
mercure f-wtcc

ahj2000

Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:53 pm

janders wrote:
Sounds like LATAM could use an aircraft like the MoM, where widebody capacity is too much, while narrowbodies dont have the range.

The MOM would be transformative, not only for LATAM, but South America as a whole.
LA could open routes from Lima and Bogotá, and possibly Brasília, to many new spots in the US, Canada and México. Routes like Lima-Orlando and Miami-Bogotá could be upgraded, and places like TPA, IAD (better equipment), IAH, CLT, etc could be added. Add to that all AA could do from Miami with a MOM (return to many Brasil markets, additional frequency/capacity to upper SA, return to Paraguay, newer destinations such as Cuzco, and this potential aircraft could change South American Aviation immensly
-Andrés Juánez

OB1504

Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:50 am

ahj2000 wrote:
Add to that all AA could do from Miami with a MOM (return to many Brasil markets, additional frequency/capacity to upper SA, return to Paraguay, newer destinations such as Cuzco, and this potential aircraft could change South American Aviation immensly

Didn’t AA briefly fly MIA-CUZ-LIM-MIA with a 757 in the late 1990s?

chepos

Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:39 am

OB1504 wrote:
ahj2000 wrote:
Add to that all AA could do from Miami with a MOM (return to many Brasil markets, additional frequency/capacity to upper SA, return to Paraguay, newer destinations such as Cuzco, and this potential aircraft could change South American Aviation immensly

Didn’t AA briefly fly MIA-CUZ-LIM-MIA with a 757 in the late 1990s?

It was JFK-LIM-CUZ-LIM-JFK.
Fly the Flag!!!!

Thenoflyzone

Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:44 pm

dcajet wrote:
mercure1 wrote:

YYZ had horrible schedules and that stop @ JFK with the US CBP processing made the route bomb.

On the positive side, I like LATAM's no nonsense approach to its network: tried it, didn't work out, they move on. There are more fish in the ocean. Hopefully with both LAS and BOS we'll sing a different tune.

You might see it as a no nonsense approach, I see it as bad planning on behalf of their research department for new routes.

Everyone and their mother knew LIM-JFK-YYZ was going to be a tough sell. So why did they launch it?

Rouge is doing quite well on YYZ-LIM, so much so they decided to launch YUL-LIM, which must be doing ok as well, since the original plan of 2x weekly winter seasonal service got switched to year round even before the route started.

thgsr08 wrote:
It sounds like there was no research before opening up the route.

:checkmark:

LoudounHound wrote:
FSDan wrote:

Yes, I had the same thought. UA sends a daily 752 from EWR. If that flight performs well with O&D, then perhaps they could shift most northeast connecting traffic to IAD. Admittedly, though, UA has shown little appetite for this approach on other Central and South American routes, preferring to use code shares instead.

The LATAM flight never made it beyond 3x/wk, I believe, and the 763 was too big for the route.

Maybe they should get their hands on some A321LR's. It has the range to cover LIM-IAD. Even the A321neo (non-LR) should be able to do it.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

dcajet

Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:44 pm

Thenoflyzone wrote:

You might see it as a no nonsense approach, I see it as bad planning on behalf of their research department for new routes.

Everyone and their mother knew LIM-JFK-YYZ was going to be a tough sell. So why did they launch it?

It was GRU-JFK-YYZ, operated by LATAM Brazil. I believe that route was a left over from the TAM days. When the Chileans disembarked, the route was promptly cancelled.

And the no nonsense approach comment was about IAD & SFO - both by LATAM Peru; and both failed for different reasons. But my point still stands, I believe.

thgsr08

Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:30 am

Thenoflyzone wrote:

It was GRU-JFK-YYZ, operated by LATAM Brazil. I believe that route was a left over from the TAM days. When the Chileans disembarked, the route was promptly cancelled.

And the no nonsense approach comment was about IAD & SFO - both by LATAM Peru; and both failed for different reasons. But my point still stands, I believe.

JJ has a strong codeshare with WS and AA connecting YYZ from MCO & JFK.

13:30 GRU 19:20 MCO JJ9620 (B77W)
21:25 MCO 00:11 YYZ +1 JJ4247 (B738) (Operated by Westjet)

19:55 GRU 22:00 LIM JJ8146 (A32S)
23:45 LIM 07:15 JFK +1 LA0530 (B788) (Operated by LATAM Airlines Group)
09:30 JFK +1 11:26 YYZ AA3725 (ERJ145) (Operated by ENVOY AIR AS AMERICAN EAGLE)

I guess there's no reason to deploy a wide-body just to fly a route a partner does.
OK, LIM wound't be the best place to connect, however MCO offers at least 3 different flights per day.

C010T3

Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:58 am

dcajet wrote:

Le't not forget that TAM and LAN merged back in 2012.

GRU-JFK-YYZ was launched by TAM in 2015 following orders from LATAM straight from Santiago de Chile.

LATAM was not happy with Air Canada launching YYZ-GIG, so it announced the tag-on flight thinking you would work just like SCL-MAD-FRA.

It persevered until Air Canada gave up its own new service..

whywhyzee

Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:06 am

thgsr08 wrote:
Thenoflyzone wrote:

09:30 JFK +1 11:26 YYZ AA3725 (ERJ145) (Operated by ENVOY AIR AS AMERICAN EAGLE)

I guess there's no reason to deploy a wide-body just to fly a route a partner does.
OK, LIM wound't be the best place to connect, however MCO offers at least 3 different flights per day.

They may codeshare, however, AC has direct flights from YYZ to GRU and SCL, both of LATAM’s hubs. A codeshare isn’t competitive. AC just tends to dominate just about every YYZ international market, that is their poperational philosophy.

thgsr08

Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:16 am

whywhyzee wrote:
thgsr08 wrote:
Thenoflyzone wrote:

They may codeshare, however, AC has direct flights from YYZ to GRU and SCL, both of LATAM’s hubs. A codeshare isn’t competitive. AC just tends to dominate just about every YYZ international market, that is their poperational philosophy.

Well, I don't think JJ/LA can compete in every sector.

washingtonflyer

Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:38 pm

You'd think a 752 could make this run.

ahj2000

Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:55 pm

C010T3 wrote:
dcajet wrote:

GRU-JFK-YYZ was launched by TAM in 2015 following orders from LATAM straight from Santiago de Chile.

LATAM was not happy with Air Canada launching YYZ-GIG, so it announced the tag-on flight thinking you would work just like SCL-MAD-FRA.

SO perhaps LP could throw the 767s up to Canadá? Parece que ellos want to use Lima as a connecting hub for at least the Spanish-speaking side...so with connections to Chile, Argentina, and Brasil a 3-5 weekly flight would do well. Codeshare with WestJet to Montreal, Vancouver, etc.
-Andrés Juánez

dcajet

Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:08 pm

ahj2000 wrote:
C010T3 wrote:
dcajet wrote:

SO perhaps LP could throw the 767s up to Canadá? Parece que ellos want to use Lima as a connecting hub for at least the Spanish-speaking side...so with connections to Chile, Argentina, and Brasil a 3-5 weekly flight would do well. Codeshare with WestJet to Montreal, Vancouver, etc.

It would make more sense than routing the flight via JFK. One consideration is that from all those markets (EZE, GRU & SCL) AC has non stop flights (or will soon) to YYZ, diluting some of the premium demand that LATAM would go after. Canada-Deep South America traffic still has much room for growth - and is minuscule compared to the one from its neighbor to the south.

grjplanes

Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:04 pm

Any idea if LATAM is carrying any traffic between the US and South Africa via their GRU hub?
They've recently increased to 5 weekly on GRU-JNB route, not sure if permanent or just seasonal increase?

C010T3

Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:42 pm

ahj2000 wrote:
C010T3 wrote:
dcajet wrote:

I'd reckon LIM-YYZ shall work better than LIM-IAD, though I think the next step should be YVR-LIM. That's the only gateway in Canada in which they would have a real advantage.

ahj2000

Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:22 pm

C010T3 wrote:
ahj2000 wrote:
C010T3 wrote:

I'd reckon LIM-YYZ shall work better than LIM-IAD, though I think the next step should be YVR-LIM. That's the only gateway in Canada in which they would have a real advantage.

It’s also a large and tiny market. They’d be better serving it Via LA or a potential YYZ/ORD.
-Andrés Juánez

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos