Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

NameOmitted
Topic Author

What are the effects of a US government shutdown in aviation?

Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:38 pm

If the U.S. Government shuts down, will there be a reduction in the number of active T.S.A. agents or Air Traffic Controllers? What other ways might air traffic be affected?

neomax

Re: What are the effects of a US government shutdown in aviation?

Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:42 pm

No reduction in TSA
No reduction in CBP
No reduction in ATC

airzona11

Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:37 pm

It has happened before, nothing then, don't expect anything this go round.

Woodreau

Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:51 pm

If it was like the shutdown in 2003, I was in the military then, I still had to go to work, just wasn’t paid until the government shutdown was over. Didn’t lose any money - it’s just that the direct deposit for the paycheck didn’t come on the 15th and the 30th while the shutdown was going on.

So maybe atc tsa are not affected by the shutdown, don’t know if they will get paid until after the shutdown.

peterinlisbon

Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:59 pm

Woodreau wrote:
If it was like the shutdown in 2003, I was in the military then, I still had to go to work, just wasn’t paid until the government shutdown was over. Didn’t lose any money - it’s just that the direct deposit for the paycheck didn’t come on the 15th and the 30th while the shutdown was going on.

So maybe atc tsa are not affected by the shutdown, don’t know if they will get paid until after the shutdown.

I suppose if it went on for a really long time eventually people would get sick of not getting paid and start to abandon their posts.

jetblastdubai

Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:01 pm

Woodreau wrote:

ATC and TSA are essential so they will be at work regardless of a shutdown. On the other hand, US passport offices will be closed so US travelers needing a passport will be out of luck. I believe the State Dept is also 'non-essential' so foreigners needing a US Visa for travel might have issues as well.

MO11

Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:03 pm

We couldn't call overtime, so there were some sectors combined, and some delays.

On another note, the FAA registration branch will be closed. No FAA regulatory approvals, so if you need that ETOPS certification for your Airbus, it will have to wait.

GoSteelers

Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:24 pm

Yes if you remember back to the most recent shutdown in 2013, the delays to commercial aviation were a large factor in getting a resolution. While the controllers still work; with overtime cancelled, a lot of the larger facilities that are short staffed and need OT to run normal volume instituted traffic management initiatives.

GoSteelers

Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:26 pm

And if they require furloughs, I promise you there will be a “reduction in ATC”.

kiowa

Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:36 pm

Congress just would not get their paychecks and pensions and medical and dental and housing and perdiem and expense accounts until they balance the budget. Oh, my bad, yes they will-with backpay and bonus for jobs well done.

Stitch

Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:51 pm

MO11 wrote:
On another note, the FAA registration branch will be closed. No FAA regulatory approvals, so if you need that ETOPS certification for your Airbus, it will have to wait.

And that delay will be endlessly churned by some on a.net as a conspiracy by the FAA to hobble Airbus. :rotfl:

32andBelow

Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:55 pm

ATC academy closes. And exasperates an already bad ATC staffing problem.

HVN2HEL2LAX

Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:21 am

Free paid leave for all "non" essential personnel.

In other words, non essential personnel get a week (or however long the shut down lasts) of vacation (beyond the amount they normally acquire) and are paid within a few weeks after the shut down ends.

Essential personal are required to report and are paid within a few weeks after the shut down ends.

I'm 99% sure no shut down because when they are more serious, they hand some paper work and make phone calls. Just another sh*t show in DC by a bunch of useless, corrupt, dirty, SOBs who care about only themselves and $$$.

IPFreely

Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:56 am

jetblastdubai wrote:
On the other hand, US passport offices will be closed so US travelers needing a passport will be out of luck.

While this sounds cool it is fake news:
https://www.uspassporthelpguide.com/gov ... -shutdown/

jetblastdubai

Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:35 am

IPFreely wrote:
jetblastdubai wrote:
On the other hand, US passport offices will be closed so US travelers needing a passport will be out of luck.

That's new then. During the shutdown in 2013 I was unable to renew my passport and had to stay in the states an extra week before I could get back to work overseas. Glad to know things have changed.

hayzel777

Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:59 am

jetblastdubai wrote:
Woodreau wrote:

ATC and TSA are essential so they will be at work regardless of a shutdown. On the other hand, US passport offices will be closed so US travelers needing a passport will be out of luck. I believe the State Dept is also 'non-essential' so foreigners needing a US Visa for travel might have issues as well.

Foreign embassies will only remain open to US citizens for emergencies. Visa issuance will be halted and passport processing may be delayed.

Side-note: FAA Aviation Safety Inspectors are apparently considered “essential” and will continue working.
Last edited by hayzel777 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

hayzel777

Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:17 am

jetblastdubai wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
jetblastdubai wrote:

That's new then. During the shutdown in 2013 I was unable to renew my passport and had to stay in the states an extra week before I could get back to work overseas. Glad to know things have changed.

DHS only has 13% of employees that will be furloughed, and passport services are exempted because they partly fund themselves with the fees collected. However, those fees can only last them so long before they must close shop too.

hayzel777

Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:20 am

HVN2HEL2LAX wrote:

In other words, non essential personnel get a week (or however long the shut down lasts) of vacation (beyond the amount they normally acquire) and are paid within a few weeks after the shut down ends.

Essential personal are required to report and are paid within a few weeks after the shut down ends.

I'm 99% sure no shut down because when they are more serious, they hand some paper work and make phone calls. Just another sh*t show in DC by a bunch of useless, corrupt, dirty, SOBs who care about only themselves and $$$.

The pay is not guaranteed. It must be taken into account with the new bill!

NO overtime for TSA or CBP or ATC, meaning that airports short of controllers may implement traffic control programs.

kiowa

Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:10 pm

HVN2HEL2LAX wrote:

Does congress consider themselves “essential “?

TERM LIMITS should be “essential”!!

IPFreely

Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:35 pm

jetblastdubai wrote:

Policy-wise nothing has changed. The reason were unable to renew your passport in 2013 is easily explained, but it would turn this into a political thread.

Andre3K

Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:10 pm

IPFreely wrote:
Policy-wise nothing has changed. The reason were unable to renew your passport in 2013 is easily explained, but it would turn this into a political thread.

Explain it anyway. I'm curious now.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos