Noise
Topic Author

Montreal-Mirabel To Close To All Passengers.

Fri Mar 01, 2002 6:29 am

Noise
Topic Author

RE: Montreal-Mirabel To Close To All Passengers.

Fri Mar 01, 2002 6:32 am

Just Imagine how busy it will get at some times!

Fri Mar 01, 2002 6:41 am

GOOD! I hope they do shut down YMX. I travelled there from YUL with one of our corporate groups last year to fly a special charter to Turks & Caicos, and I would like to meet the brains that decided to
build an airport that far out from Dorval/Downtown. I know politics were involved in the late 60's/early 70's as to YMX's location, but my God....Location Location
Location!!! Also, I swear I have never been in a more uglier terminal than Mirabel. That place depressed the hell out of me.

Was also forced to overnight at the Chateau Mirabel,
or as my co-workers and I (and some TS cabin crews I know) refer to it as "Chateau Miserable".

I say....NUKE IT!

Canadi>nBoy
YYZ

Noise
Topic Author

Fri Mar 01, 2002 6:45 am

I agree!

I never found Mirabel nice and modern. I found out depressing, boring and full of concrete. Sort of like the Big-O.

BaliMorris

Fri Mar 01, 2002 7:58 am

I guess it all comes down to past experiences. I've always liked Mirabel, but I agree that there was definitely some corruption involved in building an international airport in the middle of remote farmland. At least they could have built some sort of highspeed rail link with Montreal. Personally, I'll be very sad to see it close to all pax.

Now, the Big-O, that is one horrendous structure!
As a die-hard fan, I hope that by some miracle the team will stay in Montreal after this season, but even if they don't, I think the least MLB could have done was to have them play their final season back at ol' Jarry Park. I don't know what it's used for nowadays apart from the tennis tournament in the summer, but it still resembles a baseball stadium so they could probably still play ball there.

Cessnapimp

Fri Mar 01, 2002 8:09 am

The only reason I find Mirabel depressing is due to the fact that it is empty of people and airlines (except TS). If that terminal would be full, it would be something else.

I said it before, I'm all for tying up that terminal to 450 Skycrane heavy airlift choppers, lifting it, and dropping it on top of Dorval's prefab style, bad photocopy of a Mid-1950's soviet econo-terminal.  Laugh out loud

...but seriously I do like YMX's high ceilings.

flyyul

Fri Mar 01, 2002 9:13 am

LOL, thats a good one CessnaPimp..... but the terminal is configured in an all itnernational flight style.... do you wanna take one of those little buses on a 51 minute flight to YYZ?

Mark

Cessnapimp

Fri Mar 01, 2002 9:20 am

No, no I do not.
Once YUL gets the terminal it deserves, I think it would be a good idea for Bombardier to make a proposal for YMX's terminal to become a state-of-the-art assembly line, complete with a sports bar, arcade, weird paintings, AMPLE parking space and a bunch of flags on the ceiling (good for foreign buyers that visit).

yyz717

Fri Mar 01, 2002 10:30 am

Another Trudeau white elephant bites the dust. Finally.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

Noise
Topic Author

Fri Mar 01, 2002 10:56 am

Good Idea Cessnapimp!

There will be no doubt that this is a very controversial move, and will anger the residents and the West Island and Mirabel(Point Claire reseidents are already suing ADM for keep DORVAL open!), but this is the smart thing to do and anyone who gets in the way is just ruining Montreal's Aviation market.

JU101

Fri Mar 01, 2002 11:21 am

I dont know why you people hate YMX so much, YUL isnt any better. To drive to YUL is a journey in itself - you need to be constantly turning and changing lanes. That is very annoying! Not to mention that the roads follow much of the perimeter of the airport for no particular reason. What a mess!

The interior of YUL is nice, but quite small. I really hate the tunnel that leads to the trans-continental departure/arrival gates (for flights on board KLM, AF, CSA, LH...). Its dark, grey, and dirty! YUL could certainly use some major modifications.

BTW: Many flights that are late, and arrive after midnight are redirected to YMX. Will this continue? I had such a flight with Air France last summer.

Noise
Topic Author

Fri Mar 01, 2002 11:40 am

JU101, did you know that that area, the runnel you hate, will be torn in a few years and will be replaced by a state-of-the-art international finger? Did you know that YUL is going through a major expansion?

Going to YUL is not a journey? It takes 15 minutes from Downtown. So what it followes the perimeter of the runway? I find it cool! Mirabel is so far away, and it's depressing, that's why we dislike it so much.

Lane changing? Alright, you got a point there once you reach the Dorval circle, but before that it's fine.

aamd11

Fri Mar 01, 2002 11:44 am

Who actually cares here??? Why does Montreal need twp "Major" airports anyways??? its a city of like 5m people.... one airport the size of Dorval is good enough.. and there is room to expand.. correct???

If you ask me Mirabel is a waste of time,.. they should close it, save em some money.

Noise
Topic Author

Fri Mar 01, 2002 11:54 am

Agreed! But we all care, because this is good news! By the way, Montreal's pop. is 3.5 million.

radarbeam

Fri Mar 01, 2002 12:14 pm

Well,

It's sad to see YMX yet lose another bit. I personally like this airport. From a pilot perspective, it's a cool airport, really friendly controllers, huge fully equiped runways ..ect

I'm no airport expert, but I beleive that someday YUL is going to get saturated one way or another. If only, like someone suggested above, some sort of rapid-rail connection was made between the 2 airports.

Radarbeam

P.S: I am a new member here.

yyz717

Fri Mar 01, 2002 12:19 pm

Well welcome Radarbeam.

So what will happen to the YMX terminal? Unless the entire YMX airport closes, I'm not sure I see alot of cost reduction. The costs assoc with keeping YMX (as a cargo airport anyway) open will continue.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

flyyul

Fri Mar 01, 2002 2:30 pm

Most of the costs come from terminal operations no doubt!!

I would move all the general aviation out of Dorval and move it to Mirabel.... Mirabel should thrive as a cargo centre..

Mark

radarbeam

Fri Mar 01, 2002 4:17 pm

Let's not make another Ottawa intl with YUL, where airport authority are trying to get rid of the General Aviation. I think that the GA market as alot of potential at YUL. Let's not put them in a remote area (read YMX) just to give place to the airlines.

Radarbeam

aad665

Fri Mar 01, 2002 11:36 pm

Hi Folks,

Just a suggestion, let move GA at St-hubert. It is a very conveniant airport.

I don't think Dorval have room to expand.

My point of vue is very simple. It was a huge mistake to keep Dorval open. The long term solution at that time was to turn down Dorval and keep Mirabel.

Anyway, ....politic!

Luc

flyyul

Fri Mar 01, 2002 11:59 pm

Keep politics out of this.... the desicion had nothing to do with politics, I had to do with the fact that there was an ooppurtunity to remedy a huge exodus.. its pretty much cured now........

How much would it cost for YMX to be developed???

Mark

radarbeam

Sat Mar 02, 2002 12:36 am

It's not about politics, it's about how bad the management is at ADM  Insane

Radarbeam

flyyul

Sat Mar 02, 2002 1:58 am

The ADM management hasnt been amazing, but in the last little while, its really turned some heads.....

The new CEO is a very intelligent man, and new airlines are coming into town, more than ever before.....

Dorval will be fine, and we can finally be able to compete with everybody!

Mark

Noise
Topic Author

Sat Mar 02, 2002 2:05 am

Montreal and it's airports aren't the currupt organazations they were a few years ago. Since the arrival of the new management team, things have been getting a lot better.

Don't underestimate Montreal and ADM. Things WILL work out.

JU101

Sat Mar 02, 2002 2:13 am

Well im glad to hear that the tunnel at YUL will be renovated, but its a shame that it is in such bad shape to begin with! An expansion at YUL will certainly be welcome, and i hope they make designs to accomodate spotters.

Nevertheless, the main road leading to Dorval must be totally redesigned. The current nonesense design is an absolute mess, and must be simplified. Of course this will cost lots of money, and i guess the Federal government will chip in...

biggles313

Sat Mar 02, 2002 4:56 am

Well,looking at the sequence of events, this is the right thing to do. YMX was a disaster in the first place of course... In the 60s Montreal was a thriving city of international stature - the commercial centre of Canada. Additionally, Dorval was a major stop on most trans-Atlantic services from North America, primarily for refueling. Dorval is a WW2 airport and the terminal is from the '50s. No wonder they wanted to expand!!
The politicians chose to build up in Ste Scholastique for many reasons - noise was a major concern, but also the proximity to Ottawa was probably a major reason to put it to the North and not to the South. Had it been built on the south shore perhaps people wouldn't complain so much and transportation (Metro extension?) would have been easier. Mind you with St Hubert etc nearby it is almost as stupid an idea. Forcing the farmers off their land, and then never even finishing Aut. 13 just shows the mess this whole project was in.

Just as YMX was completed, aircraft noise was being reduced and range increased - hence two major reasons for YMX's existence vanished. Then Montreal went into decline as the politicians buggered everything up further and people began moving to T.O. Now every time I return to the city it seems more depressed...

Was putting the international flights back at YUL in '97 a good long-term solution? No! It is a great short-medium term solution though. The old intl terminal and that bloody tunnel were given facelifts (dont you love the posters with sound effects?) and the main terminal was renovated at enormous cost. When they have to expand further (soon!) the cost will increase further still. A new terminal wouldn't fit anywhere as it is, and would cost huge $$.

The right solution, IMHO, would have been to build proper transportation links to and from YMX, from downtown AND YUL, move all major traffic there (inc. USA and Canada) and keep YUL as a GA / very small commercial airport, like Toronto Island for example. YMX has the expansion space and a main terminal that is vast compared with cramped Dorval. The shuttle buses from there are now at JFK and similar ones used successfully for large aircraft at IAD. They may seem like a pain, until you've walked 2 miles at LHR from your gate........ they are very efficient, reducing terminal size and therefore maintenance and heating costs.

Its sad to see it go, but the way things have gone now, it was inevitable. Some day they might re-open it when Dorval starts to burst at the seams and ADM has spent 10 times as much on it as it would need to spend to make YMX more viable........that is always the way!

As for the highways, the 20 to Dorval is no worse than the rest of Montreal... overpasses that look like they are about to fall down, huge potholes and cracks....nothing worse than the rest of the city!!  Smile peace

flyyul

Sat Mar 02, 2002 5:23 am

Well if you see Montreal as more depressed... you've got no clue what has gone on..... its gotten much better... and stop about the potholes, we have such severe weather....

Mark

Noise
Topic Author

Sat Mar 02, 2002 6:14 am

Biggles313, your an idiot. Montreal isn't deperessed and never was depressed.

That's all I have to say

yyz717

Sat Mar 02, 2002 10:00 am

Biggles talks alot of sense.

Montreal is definitely in long slow decline (in total, and on a PCI basis) compared with English Canada and the US...and has been for 30 years.

Montreal is literally the only world city whose airports handled less pax in 2000 than in 1975. If that is not indicative of long slow economic decline and decay, I don't know what is. Montreal also has the lowest PCI of any city over 500k in North America! Despite massive transfer payments from Ontario.

Big grin

flyyul

Sat Mar 02, 2002 10:26 am

Neil,

The economy in Montreal has grown faster than the rest of Canada (excluding YYZ of course), on an absolute term i nthe last 5 years, and in percentage growth. Before you make such remarks, and consider the fact that Montreal handle 6 million passengers in 1975, and 10.2 million in 2002.... would go to prove that your being an ass again.....

I dont know if its your YYZ centric view interferring again.. Toronto's PCI is one of the worst as well, when you consider the perilous state of the Canadian dollar.... if someone in Milwaukee is making avg 25,000 and in Toronto, 29,000 (which is the real stat updated in 2000), you would realize that YYZer aint so rich themselves....

Furthermore, population growth in Montreal, was bigger and better than Vancouver for the years 2001 and 2002 (courtesy of statcan......) Then factor in the fact that we have more technology jobs per capita, highest universities per capita, biggest aerospace centre in Canada.... Neil, you see Montreal as this dark place where nothing moves along.

So please do as follows, shut your huge YYZ mouth, and learn your facts before you say stupid stuff..

Mark
P.S Montreal and Toronto, for the last 3 years, have been the only to post substantial gains in airport traffic in Canada.........

yyz717

Sat Mar 02, 2002 10:32 am

YUL handled just under 9M pax in 1975, and YUL/YMX combined about that in 2000. Most airports in North America more than doubled their traffic. YYZ handled 12M in 1975, 27M in 2000. It's all relative Mark...and YUL is in relative decline.

When comparing PCI with the US, if you use income and purchasing power parity (rather than the crude exchange rate), YYZ, YYC and YVR rate as 3 of the top 10 NA cities in PCI income.....YUL near the bottom.

So, ehhh.....no, I won't shut up.

Neil

flyyul

Sat Mar 02, 2002 10:39 am

Negative,

Ive got the stats, in 1974, Montreal YUL carried about 5.8 million, and YMX wasnt even built... but you can make up your stats as we go along..

Yes Montreal has been in decline. Since the 1995 referendum, we've been growing as fast as the rest of Canada.... and I can use of multitude of stats to prove it..

Here it is of statscan.. average income CMA's of Canada in 1996
Calgary 28,963
Montreal 24,625
Toronto 28,980
Vancouver 26,007
Ottawa 28,960
Edmonton 25,728
Halifax 25,135

This was 1996 YYZ717, and thats as recent as it gets. Then you would notice that Montreal's and Toronto's have been no2 and no.1 respectively in terms of economic growth from MAJOR urban areas............ 1996 was 6 years ago....

Mark
Halifax

yyz717

Sat Mar 02, 2002 10:44 am

I've seen 9M for YUL for 75. I'll dig it out.

Whether 5.8M or 9M, we can agree YUL is in relative decline. NA pax traffic rose 150% from 75 to 2000. YYZ grew with that, but of course YUL did not.

If YUL was such a growth magnet, the city would not be shutting a passenger airport. Probably a first for a North American city!

Neil

Noise
Topic Author

Sat Mar 02, 2002 11:09 am

Neil, we know YUL drew very slowly compared to other NA cities, but that was the past, and you have to stop looking at the past, and see the present and future.

Dorval WAS in decline, but in the past few years, DORVAL HAS BEEN THE FASTEST GROWING MAJOR AIRPORT IN THE COUNTRY, AND THE FASTEST IN 1999(yes, it has been growing faster than YYZ)!

Your talking like it's 1995, which isn't right. Please, don't waste your time trying to prove us wrong, because we got the stats, and the stats don't lie!

yyz717

Sat Mar 02, 2002 11:11 am

Are you adding transferred YMX traffic to your YUL traffic figures?

Noise
Topic Author

Sat Mar 02, 2002 11:20 am

Sorry, I don't understand your question. Are you talking about the 1999 stats? If so, I am not adding thise figures. If you are talking about the 1974 stats, there was no Mirabel back then.

yyz717

Sat Mar 02, 2002 11:53 am

You answered my Q. Thanks.

flyyul

Sat Mar 02, 2002 12:20 pm

Nope, the transfer was done in 1997...

In 1998, YUL grew 1% due to the ice-storm and AC strike and AF strike and NW strike  Smile
in 1999, YUL grew 5.3% and YMX 11%
in 2000, YUL grew 3.5% and YMX 5.6%, YYZ grew 4%, YVR -0.5%, YYC -1%
in 2001, before sept11, YUL grew 5.5%, YMX 3%. YVR was at 1.5%, YYC at 2%, and YYZ at just about 4%...

In 1996, combined air traffic in Montreal was 8.4million. At the end of 2001, It was going to hit 10.5 million. Thats 2.1 million in 6 years, which isnt bad for an airport in the 8 million category range..

The transfer numbers to YUL were excluded from entry, YUL grew some 31% when the flights were transferred!!

BTW, YMX is closing because it is losing 23 mil a year. If YYZ had an airport of YMX size for SSV, LTU, Martinair, and TS, would they lose money also??? Im pretty sure the answer is yes!

Cheerio,
Mark

biggles313

Sat Mar 02, 2002 12:57 pm

gentlemen,

don't get me wrong. i've been in the UK for a number of years now (since '93) and it infuriates me to notice that Montreal has been loosing business, airline pax etc to Toronto. But you can't deny that the trend has existed for a while now. I am a montrealer at heart; i just look at the YUL/YMX issue objectively because that aspect of the city is not as much of a concern to me as other aspects. As for the potholes comment, yes of course the weather is to blame; i was actually trying to *silence* the critics of YUL's access roads by pointing out that the rest of the city is about the same....

As i said before, Mtl handled more pax before because so many a/c stopped here on the way to other places - the traffic actually going TO montreal has probably remained constant. There is no doubt that putting all airlines at a single airport (except TS of course) has benefitted YUL's traffic. But to me, figures from the 60s-70s are kind of irrelevant nowadays because the nature of the traffic has changed.

peace/cheers

yyz717

Sat Mar 02, 2002 1:43 pm

You are correct Biggles. YYZ actually surpassed YUL in terms of traffic as long ago as 1965 when Toronto was gaining on Montreal as Canada's premier city. Quebec's racist anti-English laws hastened an already relatively declining economy.

So now YYZ handles almost 3x times YUL traffic despite a similar population (and MASSIVE transfers of Ontario taxes into Quebec each year which you would think would help boost Quebec's economy....ergo, imagine how much poorer Quebec would be without Ontario's largesse).

YMX was not built to demand in the mid-70's. While purportedly to boost Montreal as a 'transfer city' and to add capacity for the 76 Olympics, it has always been grossly underused. YMX was a Trudeau make-work project. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Planeawesome

Sat Mar 02, 2002 1:56 pm

I'm always amazed at how so many people from Toronto critisize any place that isn't Toronto.

I have many friends and family in Torontoland. I live in Montreal.

I know both places intimatly and can only say that they are both interesting, vibrant cities. They both have their pros and cons. I am however disappointed at the smug, superiority complex that many people seem to be afflicted with.
Why can't Canadians just respect each other.

The closure of Mirabel is good (inevitable ?) in the short to medium term. The same thing happened at the Edmonton municipal airport a few years ago.

In the long run, who cares. I'll probably be dead.

The YMX passenger operations closure will save millions that could more effectively be deployed elsewhere. Mirabel can remain viable as a cargo/Bombardier facility.

Some may see a growing,increasingly functional YUL as a threat to YYZ. They may also feel that it is all their money that is financing it.
It must be strange to be so paranoid.

Sat Mar 02, 2002 1:58 pm

so whats YMX's function now? Is this where Bombardier builds its planes? Is there cargo traffic?

Could it be replaced with something else? Mall, amusement park, city?

tnnh

yyz717

Sat Mar 02, 2002 3:37 pm

Relax Planeawesome. Mark (FLYYUL) knows I'd kidding. I have a lot of respect for Mark and his knowledge of Montreal aviation.

Big thumbs up

Neil

PS. Toronto fears nothing from Montreal. We look south and west mostly.

flyyul

Sat Mar 02, 2002 3:59 pm

South and West eh?

How shallow of you, your forgetting who your largest CMA trading partner is (its Montrel by a long shot) Big grin

Mark

biggles313

Sat Mar 02, 2002 8:16 pm

I knew this would turn into a Montreal VS Toronto flaming match. I used to hate Toronto as many Montrealers do (business meant my family was transferred there, like many many others). Like he says, both are great cities and demand respect of each other. Toronto will do better purely because it is english-speaking and lacks all of the OLF B.S. that has plagued businesses in Quebec.
I'm amazed at how well aerospace is doing in Montreal, however. It ranks as Number Two in the world, after Seattle for aerospace in a city. Notable companies are of course Bombardier (and no, they are building a plant up at YMX, but their current facilities are at Dorval and Cartierville, which is an ooooolllld airport not too far from YUL), Pratt Canada at Longueil/StHubert, and CAE, Rolls-Royce (Canada), AlliedSignal(now Honeywell...), and MessierDowty (one of the only established aero manufacturers in YMX vicinity) makes landing gear for the A340/330... many other companies I'm sure. Not to mention Air Canada's base of operations - but if AC were more organized and had more money to burn they would move it to Toronto in a shot. Unfortunate but true...

As for the non-locals (heh heh) asking about other uses for YMX....forget it. Unless you've been there on the ground or better flown into it and seen the VAST DESERT surrounding it for miles and miles and miles you don't know what we are talking about. A mall in the main terminal? For what customers? If it was right next to the laurentian highway then *maybe* it could work. but it's not, it's 5 miles down an empty road. i think the actual airport "zone" is bigger than any other in the world, and was done as a noise buffer.

oh well....... let's not have any more YUL / YYZ debating. this is a *montreal* topic  Smile cheers

yyz717

Sun Mar 03, 2002 12:14 am

The Montreal aviation industry focus was based more on government intervention than the market. The AC base MUST be in Montreal. The CF-18 contract that was awarded to Montreal in 85 despite a lower bid from YWG. The building of YMX etc.

Left to market devices, none of this would have happened.

Jj

Sun Mar 03, 2002 12:16 am

I liked the big terminal, sad thing...

LH423

Sun Mar 03, 2002 1:54 am

As an outsider, all I can say in Montreal's defence is that, yes, there is no argument that the language crap, and the resultant political instability that plagued Quebec for the latter half of the last century affected Quebec's and Montreal's economies BIG TIME. There is no denying, either, that until around 1960, Montreal was Canada's largest, most vibrant, most economically diverse, and strongest city. Then came along the Révolution tranquille, which for for about 30 years made the Province of Quebec look like a harsh, poltically unstable region to do business. I mean, say you're the CEO of a multi-national and you want to set up your new Canadian headquarters. Are you going to choose a) a city riddled in controversy over it's language and in a province threatening to cecede from the Canadian union, or b) the largest English-speaking centre that enjoys its Canadian heritage? Well, I think the obvious answer is B.

All that culminated in the 1995 referendum which was defeated by a narrow margin, however, has allowed the Quebeckers (or Québécois) to put all that behind them and start building their economy again. The results are obvious.

The Montreal airports will in time reflect the new revitalization in the greater Montreal region, however I think the fact that YUL/YMX have crossed the 10 million mark is a great feat for Montreal, and no matter how you look at it, definitely not signs of a declining economy.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Noise
Topic Author

Sun Mar 03, 2002 8:33 am

How true, LH423. Montreal's economy is growing, and once the world wide economy picks up, Montreal will really boom, unless the PQ gets re-elected and calls for another referendum.....but that's not going to happen!

If things pick up, YUL/YMX will hit the 11 million mark by this year or the next.

flyyul

Sun Mar 03, 2002 12:25 pm

YYZ717, are you saying that Bombarider, PW Canada, Messier Dowty, Rolls Royce Canada, Bell Helipcopter Canada, Air Transat, ex-Royal, Heroux aerospace, and CAE electronics wouldnt be in Montreal if not for free market desicion?

I dont know about that.....

P.S AC's base will stay in Montreal because its largest shareholder is the Caisse de Depot du Quebec..... Furthermore, they have more Montreal employees than Toronto employees, thats a fact..

Mark

yyz717

Sun Mar 03, 2002 12:31 pm

Correct Mark......but the biggest AC base is YYZ...that's where the revenue is. Hence, that's where the HQ should be.

YYZ provides the revenue base. Hence, YYZ should benefit from the HQ jobs.