Tan Flyr

Re: American Airlines Network Thread 2018

Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:46 am

ADrum23 wrote:
alasizon wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
Will AA ever go back to TLV? If so, which hub would it be launched from?

PHL but I suspect that it will be a 2019 add as by then it will be a bit more defined what is happening with the 333s and there are a few other higher priority adds that only consume a single aircraft.

What about DFW-TLV?

NO way..it will be PHL..with JFK a far 2nd possibility. The flight needs the east coast conncections of the Jewish community and business sectors.
After PHL, MIA would have a better chance.

AAlaxfan

Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:47 am

ADrum23 wrote:
alasizon wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

PHL but I suspect that it will be a 2019 add as by then it will be a bit more defined what is happening with the 333s and there are a few other higher priority adds that only consume a single aircraft.

What about DFW-TLV?

I don't think that's a big enough market. Certainly PHL/JFK, ORD, LAX, MIA before DFW.
Grumpy. Not a dwarf, not an attitude. It's a lifestyle.

ADrum23

Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:52 am

AAlaxfan wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
alasizon wrote:

What about DFW-TLV?

I don't think that's a big enough market. Certainly PHL/JFK, ORD, LAX, MIA before DFW.

I was just thinking DFW since it is AA's flagship hub and they can route a fair amount of connections through there to make it work. I agree PHL is the most likely city for any AA service to TLV.

JRL3289

Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:04 am

ADrum23 wrote:
alasizon wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

What about DFW-TLV?

Considering the current level of nonstop service from TLV to the US: JFK (DL/LY), EWR (UA/LY), SFO (UA), LAX (LY), MIA (LY), and BOS (LY)... I'd say DFW-TLV on AA is most certainly lower than JFK, PHL, MIA and ORD in terms of priority. In other words: it's not going to happen.

EDIT: Seems I was beaten to the punch. :) I'd add that I don't really see AA adding TLV back for quite a while... virtually any meaningful market is already served one-stop via JV partners BA/IB. The combination of BA/IB and LY codeshares offers AA a pretty nice portfolio of options into TLV. It probably matches or exceeds DL/AF/KL and UA/LH without having to actually dedicate the aircraft to US-TLV service.

CIDFlyer

Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:25 am

I could see PHX-CID and also CLT-COU, CLT-CMI, CLT-FNT and maybe CLT-FSD

us330

Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:23 am

ADrum23 wrote:
AAlaxfan wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

What about DFW-TLV?

I was just thinking DFW since it is AA's flagship hub and they can route a fair amount of connections through there to make it work. I agree PHL is the most likely city for any AA service to TLV.

Except that US-TLV demand is concentrated along the coasts. By flying to DFW, you've essentially eliminated the majority of likely flight connections.

Heck, DL tried to make ATL-TLV flights work a couple of years ago (in addition to JFK) and they were unable to do so.

Helsinki is very unlikely--traffic flows don't justify it. Limited o&d demand from the U.S. to Finland and the Baltic region, and AY's hub is primarily focused on connecting Europe to Asia. Let BA (ex-LHR) and AY handle that traffic, and explore other potential routes instead.

Themotionman
Topic Author

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:52 am

Just because a city has a OW hub does not mean it suddenly becomes viable. Name me one AY connection that makes sense through HEL that isn't better through LHR, MAD.

What about a seasonal PHL-ORK on EI or AA.

SumChristianus

Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:23 pm

Themotionman wrote:
Just because a city has a OW hub does not mean it suddenly becomes viable. Name me one AY connection that makes sense through HEL that isn't better through LHR, MAD.

Finland-US is quite small and well served by AY with multiple US gateways.
PHL-ORK I could see, is PHL-SNN served though, I would think that would come first. If DY stays in the market ORK-PVD, ORK-SWF, though, I think AA would stay away from the low yield it would receive in a then competitive secondary market.
A Traddie wannaby---UA DL LH NW AA --- Next IND-DEN UA CR7
"Born in Wonder, Brought to Wisdom"

usairways85

Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:38 pm

SumChristianus wrote:
Themotionman wrote:

Finland-US is quite small and well served by AY with multiple US gateways.
PHL-ORK I could see, is PHL-SNN served though, I would think that would come first. If DY stays in the market ORK-PVD, ORK-SWF, though, I think AA would stay away from the low yield it would receive in a then competitive secondary market.

PHL-ORK is a seasonal 7M8 route at best.

x1234

Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:49 pm

DFW-PTY. Surprised they don't fly this considering Panama City with its Panama Canal has Asia demand due to shipping...

by738

Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:54 pm

Do we know why PHL-EDI seasonal never lasted and quickly shifted to JFK- what would have changed to resurrect /switch it back especially with ongoing DY pressure near NYC.

BoeingGuy

Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:42 pm

x1234 wrote:
DFW-PTY. Surprised they don't fly this considering Panama City with its Panama Canal has Asia demand due to shipping...

AA does fly this. At least they did. Has it been discontinued?

BigGSFO

Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:55 pm

I can also see a seasonal PHL-KEF to compliment DFW-KEF.

AASAP777

Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:58 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
x1234 wrote:

AA does fly this. At least they did. Has it been discontinued?

It is discontinued indeed. No nonstop. That makes two gaps now (Panama and continental Honduras).
Bendiga Dios la pródiga tierra en que nací....God bless the prodigal land where I was born.
H O N D U R A S! Five star country...Un país de cinco estrellas.

United787

Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:03 pm

It seems like the question of "why doesn't AA compete with UA more at ORD" is becoming another A-Net broken record (like "why did Boeing close the 757 line?").

I have been asking the same thing. I think AA is in a catch 22 on the issue. They need to compete as part of their overall network and marketability to the business community. But there is no direct economic benefit to do so. ORD is too competitive and any new routes from ORD probably won't be making much money, if any at all. I wonder if JFK & LAX are in similar situations. They have focused more on LAX but I wonder if their growth there is really providing a return to their bottom line. But at least they aren't in second or third place in all three of the largest markets anymore. I am guessing DFW, PHX, CLT, MIA & PHL bring in most of the profits - LAX, ORD & JFK are just unpleasant necessities for AA.

UpNAWAy

Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:13 pm

I believe they said ORD-BCN was the most profitable route in the system???

AirLawyer

Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:37 pm

Which plane AA will use to replace the B752 on international routes?

Themotionman
Topic Author

Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:45 pm

UpNAWAy wrote:

Source?

Isn't this a new seasonal route?

qcpilotxf

Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:46 pm

CIDFlyer wrote:

I think we will definitely start seeing some CLT/PHL connections to the midwest. There is good connection to ORD/DFW but that easterly connection is lacking, especially for all the major companies that have large operations in the midwest. I will say CMI seems like a long shot thought, not without first upgauging DFW.

redwingspilot

Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:10 pm

Themotionman wrote:
UpNAWAy wrote:

Source?

Isn't this a new seasonal route?

VP of Network Planning recently said it in a town hall meeting with employees.

United787

Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:44 pm

UpNAWAy wrote:

That is great news! Of course they should be doing well, they don't have any competition on the route. I hope it gives AA confidence to try some other unique routes out of ORD.

Sydscott

Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:13 pm

United787 wrote:
UpNAWAy wrote:

That is great news! Of course they should be doing well, they don't have any competition on the route. I hope it gives AA confidence to try some other unique routes out of ORD.

You mean like ORD-VCE which they're adding May 4th as a Summer seasonal?

gennadius

Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:02 pm

qcpilotxf wrote:
CIDFlyer wrote:

I think we will definitely start seeing some CLT/PHL connections to the midwest. There is good connection to ORD/DFW but that easterly connection is lacking, especially for all the major companies that have large operations in the midwest. I will say CMI seems like a long shot thought, not without first upgauging DFW.

While not an upgauge, they did increase CMI-DFW to twice daily just this past November, and loads have looked good. I am surprised that the established morning DFW route hasn't been upgauged. With the addition of UA's 3xORD last June, I think CMI is hoping that a demonstrated increase in traffic will prompt AA to place a CLT flight there eventually.
Per ardua, ad astra

incitatus

Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:11 pm

The growing importance of LAX for AA is understated, even though AA at LAX is talked about fairly frequently.

We all know AA's largest operation is at DFW. It is a massive hub, second in scale only to Delta at ATL.

CLT always comes up a second largest AA hub, but the reality is that MIA has considerable more ASMs than CLT. ASMs are tagged to dollars, so the revenue importance of MIA to AA is greater.

The AA expansion at LAX has been heavy on long-haul, so nowadays for much of the year, LAX has ASMs that are about the same or greater than CLT's. By that metric LAX seems to be destined to be the third most important hub in the AA system.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

mikejepp

Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:31 pm

Any chance the A320 series will return to ANC?

us330

Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:55 am

Curious to see if they would bring DFW-PTY back and time it to provide for connections to AA's Asia flights. Since a 738 was too much, I wonder if DFW-PTY could possibly be done with an ERJ170 or a LUS319.

incitatus wrote:
The growing importance of LAX for AA is understated, even though AA at LAX is talked about fairly frequently.

We all know AA's largest operation is at DFW. It is a massive hub, second in scale only to Delta at ATL.

CLT always comes up a second largest AA hub, but the reality is that MIA has considerable more ASMs than CLT. ASMs are tagged to dollars, so the revenue importance of MIA to AA is greater.

The AA expansion at LAX has been heavy on long-haul, so nowadays for much of the year, LAX has ASMs that are about the same or greater than CLT's. By that metric LAX seems to be destined to be the third most important hub in the AA system.

Difficult to compare LAX and MIA to CLT because the hubs function quite differently.

I think CLT is >75% connecting traffic, and it serves a valuable niche in the system (SE US/Eastern Seaboard) with very limited competition. It also has some of the lowest costs in the system. Of the three hubs, it probably has the shortest average stage length.

MIA is a mix of O&D and connections to Latin America, where the hub generates most revenue.

LAX is mainly O&D traffic, and American's goal is to be the preferred carrier at Los Angeles. Given the current limited gate space at LAX, American will continue to emphasize operating on routes with a high percentage of O&D traffic. I don't think anyone on this forum is underestimating LAX's importance to American given how much time and money it has spent on refurbishing facilities, promoting new routes, and involvement in long-term LAX master planning.

The problem that AA at LAX faces that it lacks at CLT and somewhat lacks at MIA is competition from other carriers.

American 767

Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:04 am

AirLawyer wrote:
Which plane AA will use to replace the B752 on international routes?

Probably the A321NEO if the FAA approves it for ETOPS. But that won' t happen before 2022.
American has 100 A321NEOs on order, deliveries starting next year, so maybe they will convert some of them to NeoLR variant for TATL operations out of JFK and PHL, and maybe BOS if they decide to resume BOS-CDG.
Ben Soriano

Themotionman
Topic Author

Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:20 pm

What about a return to CUZ when the new airport opens? Either AA or LP, maybe with an A321neo. Either as a tag-on/triangle with LIM or just by itself.

MAH4546

Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:22 pm

us330 wrote:

The problem that AA at LAX faces that it lacks at CLT and somewhat lacks at MIA is competition from other carriers.

AA doesn't somewhat lack competition from other carriers at MIA. There is significant competition on just about every major route. Of the major international routes, it pretty much only has Milan, Belo Horizonte and Montevideo to itself, and Milan gets a second carrier in June. It has Barcelona to itself, too, but Norwegian flies it from FLL.
a.

American 767

Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:31 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
alasizon wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

What about DFW-TLV?

That might work, because there is a large Jewish population in the Dallas area. And no one has ever flown DFW-TLV nonstop. But it won't be the first route to TLV American will launch. First would be PHL, as pointed above since no airline has yet ever flown PHL-TLV nonstop, or maybe JFK and MIA even though El Al and Delta already have nonstop JFK-TLV flights and El Al added MIA-TLV not too long ago. That's only if the issue with former TWA employees in TLV is resolved, which is why American still doesn't fly there. If DFW-TLV is launched, the right aircraft would be the 787-9.

LAX-TLV, that might be too long of a stretch even for a 787, unless they restrict the payload (number of seats sold and/or cargo).
Ben Soriano

usflyer msp

Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:46 pm

American 767 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
alasizon wrote:

What about DFW-TLV?

But it won't be the first route to TLV American will launch. First would be PHL, as pointed above since no airline has yet ever flown PHL-TLV nonstop

US flew PHL-TLV for 7 years...

winginit

Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:20 pm

incitatus wrote:

They don't really have a choice do they as far as having a logical transpacific hub. UA has SFO, DL pairs SEA with DTW, and AA has DFW but no alternative means to funnel traffic west of DFW over the Pacific. Plain and simple - even if it isn't profitable for years there's no alternative if they want to have the transpacific network necessary for a true global airline.

jplatts

Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:29 pm

winginit wrote:
incitatus wrote:

They don't really have a choice do they as far as having a logical transpacific hub. UA has SFO, DL pairs SEA with DTW, and AA has DFW but no alternative means to funnel traffic west of DFW over the Pacific. Plain and simple - even if it isn't profitable for years there's no alternative if they want to have the transpacific network necessary for a true global airline.

AA does have a hub at PHX, and AA (or its JL oneworld alliance partner) could add nonstop service to TYO from PHX in order to provide better connectivity to Asia from destinations west of DFW.

SFO is served by AA's oneworld partners JL and CX, and AA can connect passengers onto JL's SFO-HND and CX's SFO-HKG flights from AA hub airports that have nonstop service to SFO on AA.

us330

Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:53 am

American 767 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
alasizon wrote:

What about DFW-TLV?

That might work, because there is a large Jewish population in the Dallas area. And no one has ever flown DFW-TLV nonstop. But it won't be the first route to TLV American will launch. First would be PHL, as pointed above since no airline has yet ever flown PHL-TLV nonstop, or maybe JFK and MIA even though El Al and Delta already have nonstop JFK-TLV flights and El Al added MIA-TLV not too long ago. That's only if the issue with former TWA employees in TLV is resolved, which is why American still doesn't fly there. If DFW-TLV is launched, the right aircraft would be the 787-9.

LAX-TLV, that might be too long of a stretch even for a 787, unless they restrict the payload (number of seats sold and/or cargo).

DFW's Jewish community is not all that big and not nearly large enough to sustain a DFW-TLV flight. Detroit, Phoenix, Tampa, and San Diego are all examples of MSAs that are smaller than DFW but have significantly larger Jewish communities than DFW.

US operated PHL-TLV for several years but they cancelled it b/c of progressive losses on the route, and the fact that operating it required two aircraft. US/AA determined that it could make more money through other uses of the aircraft.

As repeated ad nauseam, the issue with the TWA employees is moot and not the reason why AA doesn't fly there.

LY has no problems operating a 777 LAX-TLV. A 789 would have no issues, range-wise, on the route.

ckfred

Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:15 am

I seem to recall that Eagle flew ORD-MHT at some point, possibly as a response to WN starting MDW-MHT.

I know that AA has flown seasonal ORD-ANC. That had to be a good 10 years ago, if not more. A friend of mine was a 757/767 F/O in the ORD crew base. He was curious if that was domestic flying or assigned to international pilots.

When the U.S. and Canada first concluded their open skies agreement, AA jumped into the Canadian market big time out of ORD, adding Ottawa, Winnipeg, and Calgary. The Winnipeg route didn't last long, but YOW, flown by F100s, lasted until after 9/11.

soflaflyer

Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:18 am

American 767 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
alasizon wrote:

What about DFW-TLV?

* Dallas has a relatively small Jewish population, less than 1% of the total population and ranks #15 in Jewish population when compared to other metropolitan areas. The top cities in terms of pure population numbers are commonly recognized as follows:
# Jewish Population - as a % of Total Population - Metro Area
2M - 11% - NYC / New Jersey
650K - 4.8% - Los Angeles area
555K - 10% - South Florida (Ft. Lauderdale / Miami)

* Flying from Dallas would eliminate connection opportunities for at a minimum, 8 (or arguably 10 if you include ORD & DTW) of the top 15 metro areas in terms of Jewish population, so I agree that DFW would most likely not be the #1 priority. PHL ranks #6 and would allow logical connections for essentially 100% of the U.S. population where as South Florida ranks # 2 in population. So I would presume the top 2 priorities to be those 2 cities, PHL based primarily on connections and MIA on O&D. However, Jewish population is only a percentage of travelers to Israel, business and tourism have to be considered as well so that's another analysis but I wouldn't expect very different results.
* US flew PHL-TLV starting in 2009
* Discussion regarding the pension liability issue with the former TWA employees needs to go away, the "NW DC-9 comments" are at risk of being upstaged. If an inherited liability which posed a risk of a seizure of assets were the case for AA, they would have stopped flying to TLV effective the day of the merger. I personally have yet to see a comment from AA regarding this supposed liability, so in my mind it remains pure speculation. If it exists, someone please show us.

LupineChemist

Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:20 am

Why would MIA be the base for Africa when JFK is closer and I would think has more O/D demand?

jplatts

Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:29 pm

AA currently has 4 daily nonstops in each direction between DFW and MKE on MD-80 planes. It appears that AA will either need to add a 5th DFW-MKE nonstop or use a larger plane (such as a 738 or A321) on one of its DFW-MKE nonstops with WN discontinuing DAL-MKE nonstop service, even though WN will still be able to connect passengers to MKE from DAL through MCI and STL after discontinuation of DAL-MKE nonstop service.

Will AA put an 738 or A321 on at least one of its DFW-MKE nonstop flights? Will AA add a 5th DFW-MKE nonstop flight?

phxtravelboy

Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:37 pm

I'm still amazed AA refuses to offer MKE-MIA. Not even 1 daily E175. F9 started this service now but AA is obviously the carrier one would expect on this route due to the large hub in MIA.

Tailwinds13

Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:50 pm

PHL is lacking severely on flights to Latin America that has enough demand from the local Central American/Mexican/Colombian populations. I think launching a route to MEX as a starter would be great for them.

alasizon

Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:50 pm

LupineChemist wrote:
Why would MIA be the base for Africa when JFK is closer and I would think has more O/D demand?

JFK is closer and there may be more O&D demand but AA is pretty small in JFK now a days and offers limited connections when compared with MIA. Likewise, out of MIA they aren't going to face competition with the existing African airlines serving NYC.

Tailwinds13 wrote:
PHL is lacking severely on flights to Latin America that has enough demand from the local Central American/Mexican/Colombian populations. I think launching a route to MEX as a starter would be great for them.

Flights to Latin America are long and thin from PHL and overfly DFW and/or PHX depending on the destination. There are higher priorities than Latin American links for AA since most people are likely content with the connection.

jplatts wrote:
AA currently has 4 daily nonstops in each direction between DFW and MKE on MD-80 planes. It appears that AA will either need to add a 5th DFW-MKE nonstop or use a larger plane (such as a 738 or A321) on one of its DFW-MKE nonstops with WN discontinuing DAL-MKE nonstop service, even though WN will still be able to connect passengers to MKE from DAL through MCI and STL after discontinuation of DAL-MKE nonstop service.

Will AA put an 738 or A321 on at least one of its DFW-MKE nonstop flights? Will AA add a 5th DFW-MKE nonstop flight?

AA is already putting different aircraft on the route as a by-product of the S80s being retired. Just because a competitor discontinues a flight doesn't mean that AA needs to add another flight, obviously there is a reason why WN is discontinuing the route. So no, AA will not add a 5th daily currently just because WN dropped a flight.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

jplatts

Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:12 pm

alasizon wrote:
AA is already putting different aircraft on the route as a by-product of the S80s being retired. Just because a competitor discontinues a flight doesn't mean that AA needs to add another flight, obviously there is a reason why WN is discontinuing the route. So no, AA will not add a 5th daily currently just because WN dropped a flight.

There is an average of 720 passengers per day who travel to MKE from DFW/DAL in Q2 2017, and there are only 752 regular economy-class seats available per day on AA's DFW-MKE nonstops. There is room to accommodate DFW-MKE O&D demand on the AA DFW-MKE nonstops if Main Cabin Extra and First Class seats were included, but AA usually charges higher fares for Main Cabin Extra and First Class. The total number of seats available per day on AA's DFW-MKE nonstop flights, including MCE and First Class, is 1120 (including 752 regular economy-class seats, 240 Main Cabin Extra seats, and 128 First Class seats).

It is usually going to be cheaper to connect to MKE through MCI, STL, or BNA on WN or through MSP on DL than it would be to travel in First Class or Main Cabin Extra on AA.

I could see AA operating 737-800 planes on DFW-MKE nonstops to increase the number of regular economy class seats available on DFW-MKE nonstops.

usflyer msp

Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:17 pm

Tailwinds13 wrote:

Im not seeing the demand for Central America or Colombia but I fully expect AA to add PHL to MEX, PAP, KIN, POS as well as additional frequency to SDQ over the next few years. PHL has the demographics to make these flights work...

baje427

Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:57 pm

It seems American will be trimming some MIA-Caribbean capacity switching from A321 to 738 and 737 Max on MIA-POS,MIA-BGI and MIA-UVF routes these routes have gone from 757- A321 now to 737. From a passenger point of view this is a bit disappointing with the 737 having less pitch and no in seat IFE.

OB1504

Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:25 pm

baje427 wrote:
It seems American will be trimming some MIA-Caribbean capacity switching from A321 to 738 and 737 Max on MIA-POS,MIA-BGI and MIA-UVF routes these routes have gone from 757- A321 now to 737. From a passenger point of view this is a bit disappointing with the 737 having less pitch and no in seat IFE.

It’s only a slight capacity drop considering how many seats the 737 MAX has. It’s 4 seats less than the LAA 757 (though the premium cabin product goes from a lie flat bed to essentially premium economy) and 9 less than the LAA A321.

FA9295

Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:00 am

bridge29 wrote:
I don't know that we'll see a lot more flight announcements for this year, but here's what I'd like to see happen:
PHL-PDX year-round

PHL-PDX is not going to go to year-round. It's been rumored for several years that AA might make this route year-round, but it has never happened...
Next flights:
PDX-MSP-PDX (Delta)
PDX-LAX-MIA (American)
MCO-DFW-PDX (American)

winginit

Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:32 pm

jplatts wrote:
AA does have a hub at PHX, and AA (or its JL oneworld alliance partner) could add nonstop service to TYO from PHX in order to provide better connectivity to Asia from destinations west of DFW.

That sounds like a great way to lose buckets of money. For someone West of DFW to flow to Asia over a non-LAX hub that sits at roughly the same latitude as DFW wouldn't make sense unless you discounted to a such agree that it would be a price advantage versus everyone else who would otherwise connect over LAX. It'd lose more money than AA's LAX flights to Asia, which is a lot.

jplatts wrote:
SFO is served by AA's oneworld partners JL and CX, and AA can connect passengers onto JL's SFO-HND and CX's SFO-HKG flights from AA hub airports that have nonstop service to SFO on AA.

A non-JV partner operation in a hub is hardly an acceptable substitute for a proper TPAC hub, and a single JV-partner operation in an OA fortress doesn't add much value either. JL caters to the vast SFO-TYO local market with that flight almost exclusively.

janders

Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:40 pm

Interview with Vasu Raja, AA VP of planning who talks about network

American Airlines Is Not Prioritizing Launching Very Long Flights
https://skift.com/2018/02/12/american-a ... g-flights/
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

wenders825

Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:07 pm

us330 wrote:
American 767 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

What about DFW-TLV?

DFW's Jewish community is not all that big and not nearly large enough to sustain a DFW-TLV flight. Detroit, Phoenix, Tampa, and San Diego are all examples of MSAs that are smaller than DFW but have significantly larger Jewish communities than DFW.

US operated PHL-TLV for several years but they cancelled it b/c of progressive losses on the route, and the fact that operating it required two aircraft. US/AA determined that it could make more money through other uses of the aircraft.

As repeated ad nauseam, the issue with the TWA employees is moot and not the reason why AA doesn't fly there.

LY has no problems operating a 777 LAX-TLV. A 789 would have no issues, range-wise, on the route.

finally a post about AA/TLV that is correct.

AA flew PHL-TLV, on a fully painted AA plane in AA colors, for several months post merger. it was canned because of losses and the aircraft utilization.

DFW-TLV is an absolute pipe dream, and I don't see AA being interested in MIA-TLV. if AA returns, it's going to be PHL, and that's been made clear.

Tailwinds13 wrote:

PHL-MEX is very likely in the near future.

usflyer msp wrote:
Tailwinds13 wrote:

Im not seeing the demand for Central America or Colombia but I fully expect AA to add PHL to MEX, PAP, KIN, POS as well as additional frequency to SDQ over the next few years. PHL has the demographics to make these flights work...

I don't see any of those happening besides MEX. markets are tiny. PAP only works from MIA, JFK, and FLL. KIN/POS demand is largely from MIA. SDQ may happen though, especially since JFK-SDQ isn't coming back.

usairways85

Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:41 pm

wenders825 wrote:

usflyer msp wrote:
Tailwinds13 wrote:

I don't see any of those happening besides MEX. markets are tiny. PAP only works from MIA, JFK, and FLL. KIN/POS demand is largely from MIA. SDQ may happen though, especially since JFK-SDQ isn't coming back.

PHL-SDQ currently operates 1x weekly

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos