777Mech
Topic Author

DL and AA resume IROP ticketing and baggage agreement

Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:55 pm

Per an internal bulletin to employees, DL and AA are reestablishing their interline agreement for IROPs effective Jan 24th.

The other parts of the previous agreement, fare combinability and third party sales will not return.

lat41

Re: DL and AA resume IROP ticketing and baggage agreement

Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:02 pm

And IROP stands for " Irregular Operations Policy" ?

Super80Fan

Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:03 pm

I'd say YES!, but considering 95% of the time they won't re-book you with another airline unless you're an elite or paid a high cost first class ticket.
RIP McDonnell Douglas

flyguy84

Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:24 pm

lat41 wrote:
And IROP stands for " Irregular Operations Policy" ?

Irregular Operations
SFO

janders

Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:31 pm

Well well.

I guess DL after multiple meltdowns realizes having options and ability to transfer passengers to AA after all was not a bad thing.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

F27500

Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:49 pm

Another way the "legacy" carriers show their total lack of concern for their pax ... by refusing to reaccomodate on another airline they happen not to like .. . even tho it would be the best option for the pax.

I didn't realize they had cancelled their interline agreement to begin with. So if there was a MTC cxl on AA or DL, they would have actually refused to protect their pax on the other?!

awhorto1

Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:51 pm

This certainly benefits both carriers. As a former red coat in a small Midwest city, it was invaluable during a mechanical delay. Normally weather issues didn't qualify, but there are always exceptions to be made by those facing the customer. In my experience, we received more AA pax than we sent to them, but it does go both ways and can provide a much needed relief valve.

Finding open seats to rebook passengers during peak summer season is a different story...

OKCDCA

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:08 am

Super80Fan wrote:
I'd say YES!, but considering 95% of the time they won't re-book you with another airline unless you're an elite or paid a high cost first class ticket.

I'm just curious how you came to this conclusion. Even before I was Platinum on AA, I never had any issue getting put on a UA flight if AA couldn't accomodate me. I usually used a simple concept: treat the agent assisting me with respect and even try and assist them with looking for alternate options. I will say though, since gaining Platinum, they are much quicker to honor my request of getting put on another airline than waiting for another AA flight.

LAXintl

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:09 am

Delta surely would have loved to have access to the AA network for its clients during its last few high profile meltdowns.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

tcfc424

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:26 am

This benefits everyone. As an AA Platinum, it is always nice to have options when things go bad. Having worked as a ticket and gate agent with UA, when things go bad, the airlines play well together (except WN). There was no animosity or competition, you all did what needed to be done. Just remember that when an airline accommodates you on another carrier, they do actually lose that revenue...I dont know if its a negotiated amount, the amount of the ticket, or full Y or F.

ShinyAndChrome

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:40 am

It would be interesting to see if the reimbursement rates between the two are any different compared to before. That’s what the original breakup was about wasn’t it?

alasizon

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:57 am

ShinyAndChrome wrote:
It would be interesting to see if the reimbursement rates between the two are any different compared to before. That’s what the original breakup was about wasn’t it?

Correct, DL wanted a 5% premium over the existing agreement so both parties mutually agreed to end it. Having it back in place for IRROPs will certainly be a big help for outstations.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

usflyer msp

Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:02 am

alasizon wrote:
ShinyAndChrome wrote:

Correct, DL wanted a 5% premium over the existing agreement so both parties mutually agreed to end it. Having it back in place for IRROPs will certainly be a big help for outstations.

I am going to speculate that DL totally caved. All those ATL meltdowns last year finally humbled their management.

EA CO AS

Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:02 am

"Um, we may have made a mistake. Can we re-visit this?" ~ Delta Air Lines
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

hiflyeras

Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:09 am

A little crow...cooked 'southern style'.

ilovelamp

Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:14 am

As I recall, the main reason they ended the agreement was because AA would put a disproportionate amount of their pax on Delta than vice versa and, thus, reduce options for their own pax that were as much in need of reroutes.

WWads

Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:16 am

I'm thinking that some contract customers probably gave DL an ultimatum.

Super80Fan

Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:40 am

OKCDCA wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

I'm just curious how you came to this conclusion. Even before I was Platinum on AA, I never had any issue getting put on a UA flight if AA couldn't accomodate me. I usually used a simple concept: treat the agent assisting me with respect and even try and assist them with looking for alternate options. I will say though, since gaining Platinum, they are much quicker to honor my request of getting put on another airline than waiting for another AA flight.

Seen it happen many times before, some non-elite individual/family go up to the desk due to a weather delay, ask to be put on another airline (all AA, DL, or UA related), GA says "No".
RIP McDonnell Douglas

BoeingGuy

Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:57 am

Super80Fan wrote:
OKCDCA wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

Seen it happen many times before, some non-elite individual/family go up to the desk due to a weather delay, ask to be put on another airline (all AA, DL, or UA related), GA says "No".

What’s the official policy on this? Won’t airlines rebook you on another carrier if the delay is going to exceed a certain time?

tcfc424

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:02 am

My time was a long time ago, but from what I recall, if it was within our control, we would re-accommodate anyone, though we always tried to accommodate on UA first. If it was weather, or outside our control we would sparingly re-accommodate certain elites. This was L-UA timeframe.

BN727227Ultra

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:14 am

LAXintl wrote:
Delta surely would have loved to have access to the AA network for its clients during its last few high profile meltdowns.

And AA is one DFW or ORD tornado day from that pendulum swinging back. Good to see this.

RamblinMan

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:30 am

usflyer msp wrote:
alasizon wrote:
ShinyAndChrome wrote:

I am going to speculate that DL totally caved. All those ATL meltdowns last year finally humbled their management.

Alternatively, AA management realized that after having crammed their cabins full of 30-inch seats and removed the seatback IFE, without providing additional recovery options in a delay, their customers had zero reason not to defect to Spirit.

ahj2000

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:37 am

Good. I’ve never taken advantage of this specific agreeement, as the only flight I’ve ever had cancelled was a DFW-CLT in 09 on USAir. They booked me on a slightly earlier AA flight, no harm, no foul IMO. If this helps incidents pass like that one almost nine years ago, I’m all for it
-Andrés Juánez

wjcandee

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:39 am

The issue for DL, as I recall, is that AA would send a significantly-higher percent of pax to DL than vice-versa. You may recall there was a period where AA/US had more issues where they needed to protect pax than DL did. It wasn't that DL was being mean, it was that DL sometimes found it hard to protect its own passengers in certain situations where AA was interlining a lot of folks onto DL's planes at certain stations. The idea was that DL was sometimes inconveniencing its own regular passengers to accommodate AA's passengers, and it was felt that the tradeoff wasn't worth it, even though it meant more revenue, arguably, for DL and a kind of insurance for DL in the event it was having IROPS.

Apparently, the thinking changed. AA's operation is certainly flowing better than it did a few years ago. Maybe that had something to do with it.

It wasn't a simple decision to make to get out of the agreement, and I'm sure it wasn't a simple one to make to get back in. Those of us outside the executive offices really don't know the complexity of the decision matrix, and all the factors considered.

Prior to the cancellation of the agreement, a few years ago now, I had booked a one-connector on US Express (Air Wisconsin) from LGA through PHL to something somewhere. US was nice enough, in the face of an issue, to accommodate me on a nonstop DL to wherever-it-was, and I ran across the terminal to jump on it. Lucky me; the original flight I was booked on delayed long enough to misconnect with the last flight at PHL, and then ended up completely-cancelling. So I would have been stuck in LGA and not made the trip. Thanks US! Thanks DL!

admanager

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:47 am

Super80Fan wrote:
OKCDCA wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

Personal record (actually my wife - with no status ) is 5 days on AS earlier this year. No, can't rebook!

awhorto1

Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:03 am

Pulling from my memories as a Redcoat in OKC in the summers of '13-14....AA definitely sent more pax to DL than vice-versa. However, I personally routed a number of folks through DFW/ORD, especially on late afternoon departures when the weather was bad in Georgia. Lots of issues even back then with seating issues, and we did often ran into ticketing issues, especially after the 2nd or 3rd reroute.

I remember a few particularly ugly situations where AA would deny DL pax who had been legitimately rebooked if DL couldn't provide the passengers' checked luggage to AA at some discretionary XX minutes before departure time. This caused a few very nasty meltdowns for passengers who had tickets but were turned away at check-in because AA didn't have their luggage. Reasoning was that they didn't want to take the hit on having to deliver the passengers bags...kind of petty but a business decision nonetheless. I wonder if those rules will be in place under this new agreement....

BoeingGuy

Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:11 am

admanager wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
OKCDCA wrote:

Personal record (actually my wife - with no status ) is 5 days on AS earlier this year. No, can't rebook!

What are the specifics? Were other flights on other airlines going? If AS couldn't fly for five days due to weather, why could other airlines?

ericm2031

Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:47 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
admanager wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

What are the specifics? Were other flights on other airlines going? If AS couldn't fly for five days due to weather, why could other airlines?

I would hope this was because nobody could fly or it was somewhere where AS is the only carrier, which is the case in many PNW cities and up in Alaska. At least on the West Coast, I see AS using UA and DL quite often

n7371f

Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:43 am

Long overdue. Spent several nights at LAX because DL operated OO and CP flights were consistently late and canceled. Booking to AA would've saved my rear.

LAXintl

Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:53 am

AA says DL approached them to reinstate the relationship.

American spokeswoman Leslie Scott said Delta approached American “a few months ago” about restarting the agreement. “We are pleased to have reached an agreement and to give our frontline team members additional customer protection options,” she said.

https://skift.com/2018/01/23/american-a ... sruptions/

=
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

michman

Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:01 am

BoeingGuy wrote:

What’s the official policy on this? Won’t airlines rebook you on another carrier if the delay is going to exceed a certain time?

There are no specific times given in the CoC's and there are no government rules regulating this (there is no more federal "Rule 240", which went away with deregulation). DL's CoC provides that if there is a delay of over 90 minutes (no matter what the cause), you can request that they cancel your flight and provide you with a refund (but you are on your own for transportation at that point). Here is the only text regarding putting you on another carrier -- " At Delta’s sole discretion and if acceptable to the passenger, Delta may arrange for the passenger to travel on another carrier or via ground transportation."

Carriers like WN and NK, which have no interline agreements, won't book you on another carrier under any circumstances.

dlflynhayn

Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:14 am

LAXintl wrote:
AA says DL approached them to reinstate the relationship.

American spokeswoman Leslie Scott said Delta approached American “a few months ago” about restarting the agreement. “We are pleased to have reached an agreement and to give our frontline team members additional customer protection options,” she said.

https://skift.com/2018/01/23/american-a ... sruptions/

=

After AA has cleaned up there act somewhat as someone mentioned above,so yes now DL did approached AA first.

mercure1

Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:36 am

Let Delta humbly eat some of its peach pie.

Hopefully it has learned from its spectacular ops meltdowns that having ability to access other airline networks is helpful.
mercure f-wtcc

n7371f

Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:51 am

mercure1 wrote:

Hopefully it has learned from its spectacular ops meltdowns that having ability to access other airline networks is helpful.

Umm...hate to tell you that internal numbers still show AA sends more passengers to DL than other way around.

And for what it's worth, DL decided against doing a similar cut-off with AS after the cessation of all marketing agreements, strictly because AS ops were reliable enough in SEA and other outposts that it made sense to continue interline.

Remember...UA agreed to pay DL a premium because of its raunch operations; AA refused, even though their ops were worse, on stats, than UA.

And the AA spokeswoman based out of ORD is a low-level Corp Comm person. I'd put little belief in her spin.

usflyer msp

Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:28 am

n7371f wrote:

Umm...hate to tell you that internal numbers still show AA sends more passengers to DL than other way around.

And for what it's worth, DL decided against doing a similar cut-off with AS after the cessation of all marketing agreements, strictly because AS ops were reliable enough in SEA and other outposts that it made sense to continue interline.

Remember...UA agreed to pay DL a premium because of its raunch operations; AA refused, even though their ops were worse, on stats, than UA.

And the AA spokeswoman based out of ORD is a low-level Corp Comm person. I'd put little belief in her spin.

BS. There are no internal numbers because there is no agreement, duh. Nice attempt at completely making crap up.

clrd4t8koff

Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:29 am

n7371f wrote:
mercure1 wrote:

Please go back to eating some more humble peach pie. Seriously, how can numbers show that AA STILL sends more people to DL than the other way around when there hasn't been an interline agreement in place for almost 3 YEARS now. They can't send people to DL.

Independent of your assessment of the individual who put out the statement from AA, the fact remains that DL went crawling back to AA, not the other way around.

neomax

Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:49 am

usflyer msp wrote:

Yup, and JFK/MSP was the icing on the cake.

bnatraveler

Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:43 am

Today is 1/24 and the interline is not yet in the system:

W/*DL‡*AA«
DL-006 DELTA AIR LINES INC/DELTA AIR LINES INC.

CANNOT ISSUE TKT-NO AGREEMENT ON FILE
AA-001 AMERICAN AIRLINES/AMERICAN AIRLINES, INC.

CANNOT CHECK BAGGAGE NO AGREEMENT ON FILE
AA

W/*AA‡*DL«

DL

braniff2hav

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:24 pm

bnatraveler wrote:

W/*DL‡*AA«

AA

W/*AA‡*DL«

DL

I doubt that's going to change as the agreement is for IROP onLy. Additionally I've found that display is not up to date consistently like they use to be.

ShinyAndChrome

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:33 pm

bnatraveler wrote:

W/*DL‡*AA«

AA

W/*AA‡*DL«

DL

Per the Skift article, this isn’t technically an interline so much as an IROPS arrangement so maybe it wouldn’t show up in the typical portals.

SEAxSANxBOS

Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:07 pm

You know, I have long lurked around these forums and others, and I have watched some of these threads that people write up and post. It amazes me that people post on here and have no real idea how operations or the logistics of moving people actually work.

With regard to the IROP ETkt agreement. Yes this will be helpful, but to say that this would have helped during the previous meltdowns is negligible at best. For example:
Lets say the AA agreement was still there say during the August computer issues awhile back. Okay lets look at the situation. You have SNAPP a single network application for front line customer service agents that went down and was completely unreliable. Leaving DLTERM (dos/command prompt style) i.e. the old system that works. However, most agents are not trained on DLTERM so most agents would not have been able to rebook or reissue tickets to OAL. Furthermore there are no paper FIMs for Delta to issue either, so this also reduced the chance to move OAL or on AA.
This is not even factoring in the fact that this was summer and AA as well as AS and UA were FULL! (I know I was rebooking people and reissuing where I could.) Okay so maybe you could get 2, maybe 3 passengers accommodated OAL. I'm sure the other 197 on your full 752 are really happy with you... Delta flies hundreds of thousands of passengers a day. It would help, but like 1% Everyone else is still fuming mad...

Another example: Last Spring Break, with the storms that rolled through ATL and up the Northeast last year (which caused all of our pilots and FAs to call in at the same time and overload the system...) If we had the agreement with AA, again. This was during Spring Break. All flights are full. Do you think AS, UA, or AA just go about operating empty flights all day ever day for the fun of it... If you are lucky, you might get a few passengers here and there but it pales in comparison to the poor passengers that cannot because there is simply no room to accommodate on anyone for days. This is partly why DL will delay a flight for 12 hours and try again or operate under and extra section with the same plane because you simply can't make seats magically appear on other aircraft.

A non IROP example: Using this example to illustrate the points made above. Lets take last spring in SEA. If you were going to ANC there was a high chance that your flight was oversold, and by oversold I mean OVERSOLD. Both AS and DL had so many full and over sold flights to ANC that all of us gate agents were avoiding that flight like the plague. We continued to call revenue management to reduce the capacity of the flights to not allow them to oversell further but when people have already booked flights. Whats done is done. After a few days of this DL upgraded a few of the flights to larger equipment but AS added a late late extra section, which during that time was going out full from all the days misconnects and oversales from that day. I don't know where AS pulled that plane form in their operation, (maybe EA CO AS would know) but it was smart. That being said this wasn't something that was, "Lets wave a magic wand" and fix it immediately. It took a few days to adjust and address the issue. Aircraft, crews, and other equipment are often maxed to their usages. Planes that are not flying are not making money. During the hurricanes this last fall, we were lucky that some of the 744's that were suppose to go off to the desert, got pressed for continued service because there was special need for capacity relief. Had they not been available, the story would have likely been very different.

Now you might ask well someone should plan better or have contingencies. That's all well in good in fantasy land but operations are a highly (maybe overly) complex organism. It is surprising that airlines, logistics companies, or even the internet for that matter works at all. When full blown IROP's hit, everyone is doing the best they can with the resources that they have to recover and try to restore some semblance of a "normal" operation. We are human beings after all, so we are fallible by nature. Which also means our systems are also fallible, and as such means we have to learn from our mistakes and get better.

If you want to argue that organization should be run better, that fine. Won't argue there. That's kinda of the point of learning from mistakes and getting better. Which I believe Delta has been doing recently. If you want to argue about corporate arrogance, he said she said, that's fine not going to get involved. I personally take the stance of let the score board do the talking and keep quiet and professional. If you want to argue that this ETkt Agreement between AA and DL will help for IROP's. I agree and won't argue much there as it will help a little, but it wont resolve 100% of the issues for 100% of the passengers. Furthermore to say it would have solved the meltdowns and mitigated most passengers issues. Is a serious overstatement on actual airline operations.
Does not reflect the views of Delta Air Lines

Favorite Airports: SEA, SAN, BOS, MSP, IND, CVG

axiom

Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:31 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
n7371f wrote:

BS. There are no internal numbers because there is no agreement, duh. Nice attempt at completely making crap up.

You're the one who is incorrect. The poster was referring to the numbers before DL terminated the interline agreement.

dtw2hyd

Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:41 pm

Good idea in general or until they locate this guy.

usflyer msp

Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:50 pm

axiom wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
n7371f wrote:

You're the one who is incorrect. The poster was referring to the numbers before DL terminated the interline agreement.

No he wasn't.

"Umm...hate to tell you that internal numbers still show AA sends more passengers to DL than other way around."

"Still" is an adverb that means "up to and including the present or the time mentioned" and "sends" is present (as in going on right now) tense.

The poster is a native english speaker so I doubt he made some sort of huge grammatical error - he is just a DL fanboy that cannot accept that DL was humbled and had to come back to AA with their tail in between their legs asking to reinstate the agreement.

9w748capt

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:04 pm

awhorto1 wrote:
Pulling from my memories as a Redcoat in OKC in the summers of '13-14....AA definitely sent more pax to DL than vice-versa. However, I personally routed a number of folks through DFW/ORD, especially on late afternoon departures when the weather was bad in Georgia. Lots of issues even back then with seating issues, and we did often ran into ticketing issues, especially after the 2nd or 3rd reroute.

I remember a few particularly ugly situations where AA would deny DL pax who had been legitimately rebooked if DL couldn't provide the passengers' checked luggage to AA at some discretionary XX minutes before departure time. This caused a few very nasty meltdowns for passengers who had tickets but were turned away at check-in because AA didn't have their luggage. Reasoning was that they didn't want to take the hit on having to deliver the passengers bags...kind of petty but a business decision nonetheless. I wonder if those rules will be in place under this new agreement....

The AA staff at OKC in general are so lazy and incompetent (for the most part), it's mind-boggling. I get incensed to no end that no matter what, they make you start with the kiosk (even as an elite or in F), forget about approaching a real life agent for any assistance.

They did rebook me onto DL a few years ago no questions asked though. But then the gate agent flat out lied to me when she said "I'll call the bag room to have them send your bag to baggage claim" - well I go down and wait for at least 15-20 without any sign of my bag. Finally I seek assistance from the AA baggage office who find out that the gate agent never called to have my bag retrieved and was just getting rid of me. Lesson learned!

stlgph

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:14 pm

n7371f wrote:
mercure1 wrote:

Leslie Scott isn't low level. AA poached her from Delta with a pretty sweet offer.

And she's great to drink with.

Just sayin.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

NWAESC

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:16 pm

bnatraveler wrote:

W/*DL‡*AA«

AA

W/*AA‡*DL«

DL

I believe its effective today (1/24). Maybe all the systems haven't yet been updated?
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

axiom

Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:14 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
axiom wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

No he wasn't.

"Umm...hate to tell you that internal numbers still show AA sends more passengers to DL than other way around."

"Still" is an adverb that means "up to and including the present or the time mentioned" and "sends" is present (as in going on right now) tense.

The poster is a native english speaker so I doubt he made some sort of huge grammatical error - he is just a DL fanboy that cannot accept that DL was humbled and had to come back to AA with their tail in between their legs asking to reinstate the agreement.

You are being pedantic. That is not a huge grammatical error -- it's a minor one, at best. You know exactly what you're doing -- you're trolling.

MIflyer12

Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:45 pm

mercure1 wrote:

Even with its ops meltdowns, for 2017 Delta had a better on-time rate than AA (or WN or UA).

Data - objective facts - are our friends. viewtopic.php?t=1382691

usflyer msp

Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:11 pm

axiom wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
axiom wrote:

No he wasn't.

You are being pedantic. That is not a huge grammatical error -- it's a minor one, at best. You know exactly what you're doing -- you're trolling.

Tense is not a minor error. The poster knew exactly what he was saying and that is why he has not been back to defend himself - because he was completely wrong.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos