Northwest1988
Topic Author
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:10 pm

South Carolina aviation thread 2018

Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:24 pm

Hello all,

I’ve seen lots of these topics. I’m giving one a go for my home state! What can we expect this year from South Carolina?

Charleston CHS:
Frontier and Allegiant adding service in the coming months. That will leave Spirit as the only major airline in the US to not serve CHS. Will we see any additional airlines or routes? Possibly an International destination?
G4- CVG/ IND/ PIT
F9- DEN/ ORD/ PHL

Greenville-Spartanburg GSP:
Nothing yet as far as airlines but Air Atlanta Icelandic is looking to expand its 747 cargo flights to Munich. Any chance of new service? There have been rumors of west coast services for a long time now. Southwest originally served MDW, HOU, BNA, MCO, and BWI from GSP but now only serves ATL. Could any of these flights or any other cities return to GSP on WN? Also lots of rumors about international destinations to places like Canada and other North American locations.

Columbia CAE:
Haven’t heard anything about it in a while. Any news? Thoughts?

Hilton Head Island HHI:
Nervous about this one. American Eagle is the only airline here and only flies Dash 8s to CLT. With them being phased out this year, will the Airport loose service? The runway is currently being extended. Will American Eagle fly RJs there? Could Delta return service with the longer runway?

Florence FLO:
Another quiet airport only served by American Eagle. Thoughts?
 
User avatar
AVLAirlineFreq
Posts: 1100
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:31 am

Re: South Carolina aviation thread 2018

Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:38 pm

HHH, MYR, and FLO have all submitted applications for funding from the Small Community Air Service Development (SCASD) program: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1376133&hilit=2017+small+community
 
ATCSuggester
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:24 pm

Re: South Carolina aviation thread 2018

Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:33 am

I would like to see DAL come back and serve CAE from DTW. Was a great option in the past when pax needed to connect to the northern great lakes. NWA used to fly the route and then DAL dropped early it in the early 2010s. It was flown on CRJ2s if I remember correctly. I'm glad to see DAL flying mostly mainline out of CAE which isn't really a surprise as ATL is the busiest route out of CAE. I think they still fly RJs up to LGA though.
 
User avatar
flymco753
Posts: 2477
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:09 am

Re: South Carolina aviation thread 2018

Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:52 am

ATCSuggester wrote:
I would like to see DAL come back and serve CAE from DTW. Was a great option in the past when pax needed to connect to the northern great lakes. NWA used to fly the route and then DAL dropped early it in the early 2010s. It was flown on CRJ2s if I remember correctly. I'm glad to see DAL flying mostly mainline out of CAE which isn't really a surprise as ATL is the busiest route out of CAE. I think they still fly RJs up to LGA though.
NW used to fly a lot of interesting routes from DTW; RST, DLH, ROA, CHO, CAE, etc. While 50 seaters are reduced I don’t think CAE-DTW will happen, whereas ROA and ICT might be two great options for CRJ-700s with the short stage lengths and good utilization of aircraft if they Time these flights with connections. Now if 50 seaters were a common thing I could see it, a super early morning departure and late night arrival, that’d meet the quota for Asia and PNW travel.
Resort, and other ground transportation options are on level 1.

*Future Route Network Planner*
 
User avatar
admanager
Posts: 165
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:28 pm

Re: South Carolina aviation thread 2018

Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:47 am

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
HHH, MYR, and FLO have all submitted applications for funding from the Small Community Air Service Development (SCASD) program: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1376133&hilit=2017+small+community

courtesy of LAXIntl from the referenced thread
Florence, South Carolina
Seeking $600,000 grant award combined with $160,500 local cash and in-kind contributions to provide support to American Airlines as it transitions sole airline hub service at the airport from turboprop to jet service.

Hilton Head, South Carolina
Applying for $750,000 in federal grant funding matched by $185,000 in local cash as revenue guarantees to provide daily continual service to big northeast market of BOS, NYC, PHL or DC markets.

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Desires $650,000 grant fund that supplements $770,000 local cash and in-kind contributions to serve as marketing support, fee waivers and revenue guarantee to establish airport sole air-service West of the Mississippi to Houston on Spirit Airlines.

I was through FLO last weekend and it appears they are building a new fire station. I'm having trouble finding $600,000 worth of sympathy for FLO to move from 3 DH8-300's to 3 ERJ's a day.
 
Northwest1988
Topic Author
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:10 pm

Re: South Carolina aviation thread 2018

Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:44 am

Wow! HHI with service to places like BOS? Am I reading that right? Will the runway extension be long enough?
 
ninspeed
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:31 am

Re: South Carolina aviation thread 2018

Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:00 am

I think as BMW Ramps up there new parts distribution Center you will start to see some more flight in and out. Right now a service part for say an X5 gets shipped from the supplier to Germany, then shipped to a regional parts Center then the dealer. Their new system will see that part stay at the new parts Center in SC, and ship to the regional PDC.
 
User avatar
AVLAirlineFreq
Posts: 1100
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:31 am

Re: South Carolina aviation thread 2018

Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:33 pm

flymco753 wrote:
NW used to fly a lot of interesting routes from DTW; RST, DLH, ROA, CHO, CAE, etc. While 50 seaters are reduced I don’t think CAE-DTW will happen, whereas ROA and ICT might be two great options for CRJ-700s with the short stage lengths and good utilization of aircraft if they Time these flights with connections. Now if 50 seaters were a common thing I could see it, a super early morning departure and late night arrival, that’d meet the quota for Asia and PNW travel.


Yes, DL dropped or significantly cut a lot of DTW-secondary southern markets after they began upgauging aircraft on flights to ATL. I don't see many coming back as long as they continue to do that.
 
User avatar
flymco753
Posts: 2477
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:09 am

Re: South Carolina aviation thread 2018

Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:18 pm

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
NW used to fly a lot of interesting routes from DTW; RST, DLH, ROA, CHO, CAE, etc. While 50 seaters are reduced I don’t think CAE-DTW will happen, whereas ROA and ICT might be two great options for CRJ-700s with the short stage lengths and good utilization of aircraft if they Time these flights with connections. Now if 50 seaters were a common thing I could see it, a super early morning departure and late night arrival, that’d meet the quota for Asia and PNW travel.


Yes, DL dropped or significantly cut a lot of DTW-secondary southern markets after they began upgauging aircraft on flights to ATL. I don't see many coming back as long as they continue to do that.
DL gets hard over ATL, they think they can run a 1500 flights a day in 2025 in a facility that can barely handle over 1000.
Resort, and other ground transportation options are on level 1.

*Future Route Network Planner*
 
Northwest1988
Topic Author
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:10 pm

Re: South Carolina aviation thread 2018

Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:57 pm

New out of GSP! Starting March of this year Delta will have a daily 717 flight to DTW! Upgraded from a crj-700/900. Two turns during the day are still crj. Mainline will leave at 5:50am and return around 9:30.
 
DaufuskieGuy
Posts: 395
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:35 pm

Re: South Carolina aviation thread 2018

Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:13 pm

what is the biggest unserved market for SC? I'm guessing LAX or YYZ
 
MesaFlyGuy
Posts: 3917
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:36 pm

Re: South Carolina aviation thread 2018

Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:14 pm

DaufuskieGuy wrote:
what is the biggest unserved market for SC? I'm guessing LAX or YYZ


Wouldn't be YYZ, as WestJet has service to MYR seasonally, supplemented by Porter to YTZ and (albeit indirectly) Spirit to IAG (believe me, a LOT of Canadians use Spirit's IAG/PBG flights)
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.
 
Northwest1988
Topic Author
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:10 pm

Re: South Carolina aviation thread 2018

Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:30 am

I see a lot of people going to PHX. I imagine that would be up there as far as unserved markets from SC.
 
kcrwflyer
Posts: 2599
Joined: Tue May 18, 2004 11:57 am

Re: South Carolina aviation thread 2018

Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:20 am

flymco753 wrote:
AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
NW used to fly a lot of interesting routes from DTW; RST, DLH, ROA, CHO, CAE, etc. While 50 seaters are reduced I don’t think CAE-DTW will happen, whereas ROA and ICT might be two great options for CRJ-700s with the short stage lengths and good utilization of aircraft if they Time these flights with connections. Now if 50 seaters were a common thing I could see it, a super early morning departure and late night arrival, that’d meet the quota for Asia and PNW travel.


Yes, DL dropped or significantly cut a lot of DTW-secondary southern markets after they began upgauging aircraft on flights to ATL. I don't see many coming back as long as they continue to do that.
DL gets hard over ATL, they think they can run a 1500 flights a day in 2025 in a facility that can barely handle over 1000.


Don't blame ATL for DTW's problem. Why fly "random southeast city"-DTW-west coast when you can serve the same flow over ATL more efficiently? There just isn't a lot of local traffic between smaller southeast cities and DTW, nor is there much traffic between those cities and the markets that DTW exclusively serves. I'd argue that If the local traffic and flows made sense, a bunch of cities that lost DTW wouldn't have lost DTW. When I lived in CRW, the cheapest fares to Florida were always over DTW. I'm sure that was just financially awesome for DL.

And since we're here, I can't fathom a universe where DL adds ROA-DTW on a CR7 and doesn't resume CAE. Columbia is a lot bigger than Roanoke. As is Wichita. No offense to Roanoke.. I'm sure its a really nice city.
 
jarvismj
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:45 am

Re: South Carolina aviation thread 2018

Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:41 pm

Growing up in Greenville, and paying attention for the last 15 years would make you think that something is coming, but as I understand from what I have read elsewhere, is that B6 isn't interested at the moment, and if I want a full-size jet I'm stuck with Delta, although I think UA and maybe AA might have something.
Has anyone else heard anything about GSP and new carriers?
 
User avatar
atypical
Posts: 768
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:28 am

Re: South Carolina aviation thread 2018

Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:05 pm

GSP's Achilles Heel isn't ATL but CLT. CLT is on the west side of Charlotte so there is no fighting any cross town traffic and is 85 miles with a 1:15 to1:50 hr drive from GSP. That puts Greenville and Spartanburg within the CLT catchment for many flights. I find it easier and cheaper to drive to CLT and get a nonstop flight to cities like SFO rather than GSP and changing flights somewhere.
 
AirFiero
Posts: 650
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:43 pm

Re: South Carolina aviation thread 2018

Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:48 am

atypical wrote:
GSP's Achilles Heel isn't ATL but CLT. CLT is on the west side of Charlotte so there is no fighting any cross town traffic and is 85 miles with a 1:15 to1:50 hr drive from GSP. That puts Greenville and Spartanburg within the CLT catchment for many flights. I find it easier and cheaper to drive to CLT and get a nonstop flight to cities like SFO rather than GSP and changing flights somewhere.


I have family and business in the Spartanburg area, so I travel there at least once a year. Flights from the Bay Area (SJC) are always less expensive to CLT than GSP, and the schedule to GSP is always lousy. Travel times are less desirable, and choices are few.
 
TYSflyer
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:44 pm

Re: South Carolina aviation thread 2018

Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:19 am

jarvismj wrote:
Growing up in Greenville, and paying attention for the last 15 years would make you think that something is coming, but as I understand from what I have read elsewhere, is that B6 isn't interested at the moment, and if I want a full-size jet I'm stuck with Delta, although I think UA and maybe AA might have something.
Has anyone else heard anything about GSP and new carriers?

Not probably quite what you’re looking for but AA is switching the MD80 on GSP-DFW to 738 starting in May.
 
Northwest1988
Topic Author
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:10 pm

Re: South Carolina aviation thread 2018

Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:55 pm

Wow! 737 to DFW. Going to miss the MD-80 terribly, but sizing up is a good thing for the area for sure.

On another note, Hilton Head Island is getting E175 service starting June 7 to CLT. This replaces the Dash 8 which has been used on the route for over 30 years exclusively.
 
jarvismj
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:45 am

Re: South Carolina aviation thread 2018

Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:14 pm

TYSflyer wrote:
Not probably quite what you’re looking for but AA is switching the MD80 on GSP-DFW to 738 starting in May.


This is a good thing. I fly LH from Munich a few times a year, and while I hate the long flights, I usually go into Boston and grab B6 to CLT. Having a direct to Boston would make my life fantastic as that is where I spend a good amount of time, but flying transatlantic and then the 1.5 hour drive to Greenville does suck for sure. Which makes me think something has to happen with the way Delta is growing at Logan they should get at least one or two daily to GSP in the next few years, especially with how they are going to the EU from BOS.

Unfortunately I've only had one good flight on AA in my lifetime, so while I've given them multiple chances, I'm done. I fly UA when I have a connection from LH to GSP, it's not the worst, but not the best. Delta has gotten much better since I've flown them last. I was surprised to catch an A320 from GSP last time I flew them.
 
User avatar
GSPFlyer
Posts: 282
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:15 am

Re: South Carolina aviation thread 2018

Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:15 pm

DaufuskieGuy wrote:
what is the biggest unserved market for SC? I'm guessing LAX or YYZ


GSP was in talks with AC back in 2016 about starting GSP-YYZ.

http://www.wyff4.com/article/gsp-in-talks-to-bring-air-canada-to-upstate/7021718
 
jarvismj
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:45 am

Re: South Carolina aviation thread 2018

Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:19 pm

I remember that. I don't know of too many Canadian companies other than Magna in the area. I've transited YUL from MUC to BOS, so it's not a bad thing.
Off topic, if anyone remembers deltabobo on here, that was my kid brother. He passed back in 2015 and while he was always obsessed with GSP and Delta, it rubbed off on me, which is why I'm here...
 
DaufuskieGuy
Posts: 395
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:35 pm

Re: South Carolina aviation thread 2018

Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:57 pm

jarvismj wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:
Not probably quite what you’re looking for but AA is switching the MD80 on GSP-DFW to 738 starting in May.


This is a good thing. I fly LH from Munich a few times a year, and while I hate the long flights, I usually go into Boston and grab B6 to CLT. Having a direct to Boston would make my life fantastic as that is where I spend a good amount of time, but flying transatlantic and then the 1.5 hour drive to Greenville does suck for sure. Which makes me think something has to happen with the way Delta is growing at Logan they should get at least one or two daily to GSP in the next few years, especially with how they are going to the EU from BOS.

Unfortunately I've only had one good flight on AA in my lifetime, so while I've given them multiple chances, I'm done. I fly UA when I have a connection from LH to GSP, it's not the worst, but not the best. Delta has gotten much better since I've flown them last. I was surprised to catch an A320 from GSP last time I flew them.


when i lived in MUC i almost always went through iad on my way to sav. never a problem. why don't you non stop muc clt? or atl?
 
jarvismj
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:45 am

Re: South Carolina aviation thread 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:15 pm

DaufuskieGuy wrote:
when i lived in MUC i almost always went through iad on my way to sav. never a problem. why don't you non stop muc clt? or atl?


I've flown the MUC - CLT flight twice. Nothing wrong, but I used to live in Boston, and my wife's family is there, so we make a go of it. Plus with two kids under the age of four, I'm loathe to be on a plane longer than needed.

Also, ATL... I'll put it this way; I like my ex-wife more than Hartsfield Airport...
 
evank516
Posts: 918
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:15 am

Re: South Carolina aviation thread 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:34 pm

jarvismj wrote:
DaufuskieGuy wrote:
when i lived in MUC i almost always went through iad on my way to sav. never a problem. why don't you non stop muc clt? or atl?


I've flown the MUC - CLT flight twice. Nothing wrong, but I used to live in Boston, and my wife's family is there, so we make a go of it. Plus with two kids under the age of four, I'm loathe to be on a plane longer than needed.

Also, ATL... I'll put it this way; I like my ex-wife more than Hartsfield Airport...


Now I wonder whether you had an amicable divorce or not :LOL:

Someone mentioned more flights at CAE. As if GSP wasn't close enough, CAE is another straight shot up I-77, Going to guess CLT takes plenty of their traffic too.
 
Northwest1988
Topic Author
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:10 pm

Re: South Carolina aviation thread 2018

Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:59 pm

New update:

American adds Mainline MD-80 service from CAE-DFW.

American also adds direct GSP-MIA starting this December.
 
SCFirefighter
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:42 am

Re: South Carolina aviation thread 2018

Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:19 am

DaufuskieGuy wrote:
what is the biggest unserved market for SC? I'm guessing LAX or YYZ


Can’t speak for all of SC, but for CAE, it’s Boston.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos