qf789
Topic Author

Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:29 am

Welcome to the Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018 edition. Link to previous thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1382367

Firstly I would like to thank everyone for their contributions to this thread. 1024 posts in one month is a great achievement making this thread the most active and productive topic on a.net so far this year. Lets keep the momentum going and keep up the good work be everyone

Link to QF Fleet Thread 2018

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1382753

Latest on QF 787-9's

VH-ZNA (Great Southern Land) delivered
VH-ZNB (Waltzing Matilda) delivered
VH-ZNC (Quokka) Delivered
VH-ZND undergoing pre flight tests, first flight planned for 31 January, will be painted in an indigenous livery
Planned Delivery dates - #4 - 15 February 18, #5 - 12 July 18, #6 - 24 August 18, #7 - 13 November, #8 - 26 November
MEL-LAX (QF95/96) from 15 Dec - 6 weekly, 5 weekly 3 May -27 June 18, down to 2 weekly 1 September
MEL-LAX (QF93/94) will see 3 weekly A388 and 2 weekly 789 12 Feb -24 March 18
Domestic 789 services back running until start of PER-LHR
MEL-PER-LHR from 24 March 18
MEL-SFO to start 1 September 2018. 4 weekly
BNE will be base for frames 5-8
First BNE based 789 will be named Great Barrier Reef
BNE-LAX-JFK to 789 service from 1 September
BNE-LAX to go to 11 weekly 789 service from 1 December, from 1 September BNE-LAX will be served by a daily 789 and 3 weekly 744
Possible conversion of options into firm orders to be announced soon!!!
Forum Moderator

planemanofnz

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:46 am

HU's new HAK - SYD service touched down this morning in SYD, at about 7:20 am.

See:
- https://flightaware.com/live/flight/CHH ... /ZJHK/YSSY.
- http://www.caacnews.com.cn/1/6/201801/t ... 9_wap.html.

This comes on the back of GS' new TSN - CGO - SYD service, earlier in the week.

Cheers,

C.

EK413

Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:40 am

planemanofnz wrote:

See:

Cheers,

C.

It’s mind blowing how many secondary cities have the demand to serve Australian cities direct.
What are our airports doing about it?!? More remote stands :roll:

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

qf2220

Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:48 am

EK413 wrote:
EK413

Perhaps this is best until they work out if it is the new normal or just a short/medium term phenomenon.

Flyingsottsman

Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:53 am

EK413 wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:

See:

Cheers,

C.

It’s mind blowing how many secondary cities have the demand to serve Australian cities direct.

EK413

Yes it seems that every city in China that has an airline based in it serves or wants to serve city's in Australia. Our infrastructure planning can not keep up transport wise, with an even more developing world. Could Sydney put in a 4th runway on the other side of 34 left ? Melbourne has plenty of room for another terminal and more gates seems remote stands are just a band aid solution.

planemanofnz

Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:22 am

EK413 wrote:

Indeed, it is quite remarkable - SYD is actually the leader globally, for long-haul routes to Greater China (by count):

EK413 wrote:
What are our airports doing about it?

We do need to put things into perspective, a bit - many of these services are low frequency, like only 2x per week. :)

Further, the HNA Group is in deep trouble financially, so it remains to be seen whether GS and HU's routes will last.

Cheers,

C.

EK413

Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:35 am

qf2220 wrote:
EK413 wrote:
EK413

Perhaps this is best until they work out if it is the new normal or just a short/medium term phenomenon.

It’s the norm alright I ain’t complaining with my last 2 flights into SYD from SIN & CGK parking on a freight stand. But on a more serious note after a DXB-SYD, LAX-SYD flight it’s the last thing passengers want.

Flyingsottsman wrote:
EK413 wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:

See:

Cheers,

C.

EK413

Yes it seems that every city in China that has an airline based in it serves or wants to serve city's in Australia. Our infrastructure planning can not keep up transport wise, with an even more developing world. Could Sydney put in a 4th runway on the other side of 34 left ? Melbourne has plenty of room for another terminal and more gates seems remote stands are just a band aid solution.

Sure seems that way and I guess they have the population and demand that supports it too. Mind blowing indeed.
I’ve always seen port botany as an opportunity to expand SYD airport but that’ll never happen.

planemanofnz wrote:
EK413 wrote:

Indeed, it is quite remarkable - SYD is actually the leader globally, for long-haul routes to Greater China (by count):

EK413 wrote:
What are our airports doing about it?

We do need to put things into perspective, a bit - many of these services are low frequency, like only 2x per week. :)

Further, the HNA Group is in deep trouble financially, so it remains to be seen whether GS and HU's routes will last.

Cheers,

C.

Understanding they are 2 weekly however a majority of the services op during the AM first wave which makes gate allocation challenging if you ask me. I’ve witnessed aircraft parked on taxiways awaiting a bay.

EK413

qf002

Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:41 am

Flyingsottsman wrote:
Could Sydney put in a 4th runway on the other side of 34 left ?

SYD doesn't need another runway, it needs the movement cap to be lifted/removed.

log0008

Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:51 am

While I agree that Chinas secondary market is being flooded, I don’t see it as a short term phenomenon sure some routes will fail but others will grow. To put it simply China is a country with a population as large as the ‘western world’ combined. For China unlike Europe and America, Australia no longer sits at the disadvantage of distance. Chinese Australians will soon become the 2nd largest behind the English, overtaking New Zealand And Chinese students are our largest international student group. This not only supports the high VFR traffic but also supports Australia’s position as a destination for tourists whom want a western experience but want some of the aspects of home. This is before we even talk about the size of business and economic ties between Australia and China.

The expansion of Chinese Aviation in Australia IMO is only just beginning, as Chinese get richer, flying from Shanghai to Sydney will be as common as someone flying for London to New York.

Put it this way, if the portion of the Chinese population visiting Australia each year was to reach the same as the number of Malaysians visiting Australia each year, it would be more than double the total number of tourism Arrivals into Australia each year from all countries, the numbers he are just massive.
Last edited by log0008 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EK413

Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:00 pm

qf002 wrote:
Flyingsottsman wrote:

SYD doesn't need another runway, it needs the movement cap to be lifted/removed.

Totally agreed on all fronts. You just opened a can of worms :)
Let the cap/movements discussions begin :D

EK413

planemanofnz

Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:05 pm

log0008 wrote:
While I agree that Chinas secondary market is being flooded, I don’t see it as a short term phenomenon sure some routes will fail but others will grow.

There are two factors at play here:

1. China's 'one airline per long-haul route' policy, pushing un-profitable routes to be flown now, in anticipation of future profitability
2. Subsidies from Chinese cities, to support new long-haul services - hence why HU is launching heaps of routes from SZX of late

If the one airline policy is relaxed, carriers will likely drop some routes - they can pick them back up again, when profit is to be made.

Likewise, if the subsidies from cities are removed or run out, carriers may also not feel so much of a need to maintain these routes.

Separately, the HNA Group is a mess financially - this could result in certain GS, HU and JD routes being dropped in the near future.

Cheers,

C.

Obzerva

Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:39 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
log0008 wrote:
While I agree that Chinas secondary market is being flooded, I don’t see it as a short term phenomenon sure some routes will fail but others will grow.

There are two factors at play here:

1. China's 'one airline per long-haul route' policy, pushing un-profitable routes to be flown now, in anticipation of future profitability
2. Subsidies from Chinese cities, to support new long-haul services - hence why HU is launching heaps of routes from SZX of late

If the one airline policy is relaxed, carriers will likely drop some routes - they can pick them back up again, when profit is to be made.

Likewise, if the subsidies from cities are removed or run out, carriers may also not feel so much of a need to maintain these routes.

Separately, the HNA Group is a mess financially - this could result in certain GS, HU and JD routes being dropped in the near future.

Cheers,

C.

Agree with the above, on point 1. When Beijing Daxing opens next year, surely there’s going to have be a relaxation in the one airline per route rule out of Daxing, that could provide the catalyst for some secondary routes to be dropped, and CZ and MU directly competing head to head out of there.

Crackshot

Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:36 pm

qf789 wrote:
BNE-LAX to go to 11 weekly 789 service from 1 December, from 1 September BNE-LAX will be served by a daily 789 and 3 weekly 744

So if I'm reading this right, BNE-LAX will remain on the 744 3x weekly till 1 December? I'm glad to hear the 744 will be sticking around till the end of the year, I'll be sad to see it go.

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:36 pm

Crackshot wrote:
qf789 wrote:

So if I'm reading this right, BNE-LAX will remain on the 744 3x weekly till 1 December? I'm glad to hear the 744 will be sticking around till the end of the year, I'll be sad to see it go.

Yes that is correct
Forum Moderator

EK413

Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:57 pm

Crackshot wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Which was roughly the timeframe to retire the non-ER B744’s (if the plan hasn’t changed).

EK413

vhebb

Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:49 pm

Looking at the schedules the last B744 flight out of BNE will be 10th November.

With BNE-LAX eventually moving to 11x weekly B789 is there any slack in the fleet for the apparent new BNE-USA route that hasnt been announced yet? My quick calculation has the fleet fully used. QF are only getting 8 B789s.

Can anyone give a accurate breakdown of what days are "spare" for this new route?

CraigAnderson

Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:33 pm

Airbus A350-1000 test aircraft MSN065 flying into SYD on Feb 10 at 9pm from BKK, departing Feb 12 at 4pm for AKL
https://www.ausbt.com.au/next-gen-airbu ... -day-visit

DeltaB717

Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:21 pm

On the HND discussion from the January thread, the issue isn't only with slots at HND, but with the bilateral itself. Currently, only 7 weekly frequencies are available for Australian carriers to operate at HND (unlimited to the rest of Japan). I'm sure Australian carriers are keen to shift that number out as much as they can, but Japan is famously reluctant to go there :(

vhebb wrote:

With BNE-LAX eventually moving to 11x weekly B789 is there any slack in the fleet for the apparent new BNE-USA route that hasnt been announced yet? My quick calculation has the fleet fully used. QF are only getting 8 B789s.

Can anyone give a accurate breakdown of what days are "spare" for this new route?

Correct - from 12 Nov for the rest of that month, QF55/56 will operate either twice or three times a week with B789, before moving up to 4x weekly from 1 Dec.
EK413 wrote:
qf002 wrote:

Flyingsottsman wrote:

EK413

Gotta get the AusAv thread to 1,000 posts for a 2nd consecutive month somehow, especially when that month is February! :D

JBusworth

Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:00 pm

EK413 wrote:
Crackshot wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Which was roughly the timeframe to retire the non-ER B744’s (if the plan hasn’t changed).

EK413

I don't think that the 6 ER aircraft are enough to operate all of SYD-HND/JNB/SCL/YVR/LAX over the summer so at least 2 or so will stay until at least February.

EK413

Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:14 pm

DeltaB717 wrote:
On the HND discussion from the January thread, the issue isn't only with slots at HND, but with the bilateral itself. Currently, only 7 weekly frequencies are available for Australian carriers to operate at HND (unlimited to the rest of Japan). I'm sure Australian carriers are keen to shift that number out as much as they can, but Japan is famously reluctant to go there :(

vhebb wrote:

Correct - from 12 Nov for the rest of that month, QF55/56 will operate either twice or three times a week with B789, before moving up to 4x weekly from 1 Dec.
EK413 wrote:
qf002 wrote:

EK413

Gotta get the AusAv thread to 1,000 posts for a 2nd consecutive month somehow, especially when that month is February! :D

Let’s do it January certainly set the bench mark with the QF announcements around the corner confident we can bypass 1,000 posts.

JBusworth wrote:
EK413 wrote:
Crackshot wrote:

EK413

I don't think that the 6 ER aircraft are enough to operate all of SYD-HND/JNB/SCL/YVR/LAX over the summer so at least 2 or so will stay until at least February.

Confident changes will be announced later this month regarding -OJS,T & U which had been scheduled to go but rumoured to stay beyond 2018. No idea how they would plan to op HND/JNB/SCL/YVR/LAX with 6 x -400ERs.

EK413

qf2220

Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:19 pm

Whilst this might look like an attempt to up our post count as it is not AustAv related (and it probably is ;))- can some one point me to instructions on how to quote multiple previous threads?

VirginFlyer

Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:39 pm

qf2220 wrote:
Whilst this might look like an attempt to up our post count as it is not AustAv related (and it probably is ;))- can some one point me to instructions on how to quote multiple previous threads?

It's more difficult when there are multiple threads (one of a number of reasons why I believe having a single ongoing thread rather than multiple ones would be more user friendly and sensible, but I digress). Basically you need to copy the text you want to quote, then put it in quotation tags, with the poster's name in speech marks. Like this:

[quote="qf2220"]Whilst this might look like an attempt to up our post count as it is not AustAv related (and it probably is ;))- can some one point me to instructions on how to quote multiple previous threads?[/quote]

If you are quoting a post which has embedded quotes, you need to be careful to get the location of the quote tags correct. I would recommend previewing before hitting submit. For example:

[quote="EK413"][quote="JBusworth"][quote="EK413"][quote="Crackshot"]

So if I'm reading this right, BNE-LAX will remain on the 744 3x weekly till 1 December? I'm glad to hear the 744 will be sticking around till the end of the year, I'll be sad to see it go.[/quote]

EK413[/quote]

I don't think that the 6 ER aircraft are enough to operate all of SYD-HND/JNB/SCL/YVR/LAX over the summer so at least 2 or so will stay until at least February.[/quote]

Confident changes will be announced later this month regarding -OJS,T & U which had been scheduled to go but rumoured to stay beyond 2018. No idea how they would plan to op HND/JNB/SCL/YVR/LAX with 6 x -400ERs.

EK413[/quote]

This gives:
EK413 wrote:
JBusworth wrote:
EK413 wrote:

EK413

EK413

I hope this is helpful!

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:55 pm

There were some passengers and crew injured during turbulence onboard EY484 to BNE on Tuesday. The aircraft was near the top of decent when it happened and several ambulances were required to transport the injured to hospital who suffered from head and neck injuries

https://www.avherald.com/h?article=4b45806c&opt=0
Forum Moderator

Fuling

Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:02 am

I may have missed the news, but what is QF’s plan with the remaining B744ER aircraft? When will the last one be retired? Presumably the last routes will be JNB, SCL, HND, maybe HKG?

qf2220

Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:04 am

VirginFlyer wrote:
qf2220 wrote:

It's more difficult when there are multiple threads (one of a number of reasons why I believe having a single ongoing thread rather than multiple ones would be more user friendly and sensible, but I digress). Basically you need to copy the text you want to quote, then put it in quotation tags, with the poster's name in speech marks. Like this:

[quote="qf2220"]Whilst this might look like an attempt to up our post count as it is not AustAv related (and it probably is ;))- can some one point me to instructions on how to quote multiple previous threads?[/quote]

If you are quoting a post which has embedded quotes, you need to be careful to get the location of the quote tags correct. I would recommend previewing before hitting submit. For example:

[quote="EK413"][quote="JBusworth"][quote="EK413"][quote="Crackshot"]

So if I'm reading this right, BNE-LAX will remain on the 744 3x weekly till 1 December? I'm glad to hear the 744 will be sticking around till the end of the year, I'll be sad to see it go.[/quote]

EK413[/quote]

I don't think that the 6 ER aircraft are enough to operate all of SYD-HND/JNB/SCL/YVR/LAX over the summer so at least 2 or so will stay until at least February.[/quote]

EK413[/quote]

This gives:
EK413 wrote:
JBusworth wrote:

EK413

I hope this is helpful!

V/F

Thanks for this. It looks like a manual process then, not something that is automated like a single post quote.
Much appreciated!

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:14 am

Well this is cutting it fine

The new International Business Lounge at PER T3 will open on 24 March

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-new-per ... ource=hero
Forum Moderator

mariner

Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:39 am

qf789 wrote:
Well this is cutting it fine

The new International Business Lounge at PER T3 will open on 24 March

It doesn't say it won't be ready before then. but I suppose they want to make a bit of a song and dance about it in conjunction with the London service.

mariner
aeternum nauta

ben175

Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:46 am

I'm flying the PER-MEL sector of QF10 in early April - as I am gold I will have access to the lounge, correct? Or will I have to use the qantas club and then make my way over to the international wing?

JBusworth

Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:41 am

Fuling wrote:
I may have missed the news, but what is QF’s plan with the remaining B744ER aircraft? When will the last one be retired? Presumably the last routes will be JNB, SCL, HND, maybe HKG?
The B747ERs will probably stay in the fleet through to around 2022/23. JNB, SCL, HND will likely be the last routes as they either need the four engines or the capacity.

HM7

Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:19 am

Sad to see the 747 leave the BNE-LAX-JFK route

On a different note, is QF 12 SYD-LAX operated only by the a380 or does a 747 cycle in there somehow?
CRJ200, Q400, E175, E195, MD88, MD90, A320, A332, A380, B717, B734, B738, B739, B752, B762, B763, B744, B744ER

JBusworth

Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:33 am

HM7 wrote:
Sad to see the 747 leave the BNE-LAX-JFK route

On a different note, is QF 12 SYD-LAX operated only by the a380 or does a 747 cycle in there somehow?

QF12 is 747 on a Tuesday most of the year. It often is used to swap aircraft out from BNE-LAX instead of repositioning the plane.

A330freak

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:32 am

CX is planning to replace the A330 operating CX110/111 to Sydney with an A350-1000 in the second half of the year. They're also considering upgauging the last A330 flight to Melbourne to a 77W and by the end of 2020, they intend to replace all A330 services to Australia with either A350s or 777s
https://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-pacific ... for-sydney

XAM2175

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:55 am

qf2220 wrote:
VirginFlyer wrote:
I hope this is helpful!

Thanks for this. It looks like a manual process then, not something that is automated like a single post quote.

Actually there is an automated process - click "Reply with Quote" to get to the new post page with the first quote in place, then scroll down to the "Topic Review" under the post options which displays all posts in the thread in reverse order. Each of these posts has a quote button that inserts a full quote of that post at the position of your cursor.

log0008

Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:05 am

Welcome to Avalon International Airport!!!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vic...fb0d2a71c47cf8

Air Asia to launch daily services at the end of the year.

qf2048

Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:09 am

Fly Corporate announced on their Facebook page they are adding extra flights to Tamworth and Orange from BNE. Tamworth also getting larger aircraft and Orange having an aircraft overnighting to enable a 6:15am departure to MEB on Tues,Wed and Thursdays. Link to FC page has details.
https://flycorporate.com.au/
ZL,QF,KE,BA,AS,CX,FR,U2,W6,EI,IB,JL,AY,LH,AA,AC,FQ,DJ,JQ,LA,FJ,QS,NZ,NF,SB,PG,EK,AB

JBusworth

Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:33 am

log0008 wrote:

Really?!? I wasn't expecting this to happen any time soon, but good luck to Air Asia. I think that it should be re-named Geelong airport or maybe Far Away Low Cost "Melbourne" Airport if it has to be called Melbourne.

Flyingsottsman

Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:35 am

Does MEL/BNE/ADL and PER have movement caps like Sydney have?

log0008

Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:39 am

JBusworth wrote:
log0008 wrote:

Really?!? I wasn't expecting this to happen any time soon, but good luck to Air Asia. I think that it should be re-named Geelong airport or maybe Far Away Low Cost "Melbourne" Airport if it has to be called Melbourne.

That what happens when the current airport can't deal with demand. Geelong is also growing very rapidly and is now very close to being larger than Hobart

planemanofnz

Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:02 am

log0008 wrote:

log0008 wrote:
Geelong is also growing very rapidly

While Geelong is growing faster than other second-tier cities, like CBR, HBA and NTL, it is still smaller than all of them, and will rely on some MEL traffic.

See: https://blog.id.com.au/2016/population/ ... australia/.

IMO, this service will struggle. AVV cannot support flights to AKL, BNE or PER, let alone the likes of HKG or SIN - perhaps a tag will support the flight?

Cheers,

C.

log0008

Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:10 am

SMH reporting both current flights are being moved to AVV

planemanofnz

Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:23 am

CX has again quashed any rumours of it starting a CBR service, saying "Cathay looks at market demand and market potential on a regular basis ... but Canberra is not in the planning stage at all."

See: https://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-pacific ... ource=hero.

This is a shame, particularly given how a) HKG is one of SQ's strongest CBR feeder markets, and b) SQ's schedule changes ruin HKG connections. Perhaps HX will explore CBR in the future?

Cheers,

C.

VirginFlyer

Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:41 am

XAM2175 wrote:
qf2220 wrote:
VirginFlyer wrote:
I hope this is helpful!

Actually there is an automated process - click "Reply with Quote" to get to the new post page with the first quote in place, then scroll down to the "Topic Review" under the post options which displays all posts in the thread in reverse order. Each of these posts has a quote button that inserts a full quote of that post at the position of your cursor.

That works on an open thread, but once a thread from a previous month has been locked, there is no "Reply with Quote" button any more.

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

Obzerva

Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:49 am

planemanofnz wrote:
log0008 wrote:

log0008 wrote:
Geelong is also growing very rapidly

While Geelong is growing faster than other second-tier cities, like CBR, HBA and NTL, it is still smaller than all of them, and will rely on some MEL traffic.

See: https://blog.id.com.au/2016/population/ ... australia/.

IMO, this service will struggle. AVV cannot support flights to AKL, BNE or PER, let alone the likes of HKG or SIN - perhaps a tag will support the flight?

Cheers,

C.

KUL-AVV-HBA can see it now.
The AirAsia cabin crew may not appreciate boarding those stairs in a HBA winter in those recently discussed uniforms however.

planemanofnz

Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:01 am

Obzerva wrote:
KUL-AVV-HBA

Possibly, though a New Zealand tag would probably be more attractive, given fifth freedom traffic rights.

D7 has previously served CHC, and CHC is booming, with CI, CX, CZ and others starting flights there.

Back to AVV though, why would D7's MEL customers go to AVV, when TR and other LCCs are at MEL?

Cheers,

C.

Obzerva

Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:08 am

planemanofnz wrote:
Obzerva wrote:
KUL-AVV-HBA

Possibly, though a New Zealand tag would probably be more attractive, given fifth freedom traffic rights.

D7 has previously served CHC, and CHC is booming, with CI, CX, CZ and others starting flights there.

Back to AVV though, why would D7's MEL customers go to AVV, when TR and other LCCs are at MEL?

Cheers,

C.

I agree, NZ would be more attractive, but there would definitely be first mover advantage for HBA.
If HBA was going to have any shot of an international service in the near term other than a Trans Tasman service, this would be it.

Given there's 2 daily flights, perhaps a tag to NZ and one to HBA.

planemanofnz

Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:17 am

According to CAPA:

"Melbourne is the most popular destination in Australia for Malaysians and has the largest Malaysian Australian community, driving strong ethnic, or visiting friends and relatives, traffic. Melbourne also has a large Malaysian student population."

I imagine that this market would likely take D7 out of AVV (if D7 drops MEL), rather than take TR from MEL, with a connection in SIN.

Obzerva wrote:
... there would definitely be first mover advantage for HBA

I agree, but HBA has not been mentioned as on the horizon for D7 - only a few months ago (November 2017), D7 said it was considering ADL, CBR and CNS, saying it doesn't "mind exploring Adelaide, Canberra, even Cairns. We will see."

See: https://blueswandaily.com/airasia-x-con ... nd-cairns/.

Cheers,

C.

Obzerva

Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:25 am

planemanofnz wrote:
According to CAPA:

"Melbourne is the most popular destination in Australia for Malaysians and has the largest Malaysian Australian community, driving strong ethnic, or visiting friends and relatives, traffic. Melbourne also has a large Malaysian student population."

I imagine that this market would likely take D7 out of AVV (if D7 drops MEL), rather than take TR from MEL, with a connection in SIN.

Obzerva wrote:

I agree, but HBA has not been mentioned as on the horizon for D7 - only a few months ago (November 2017), D7 said it was considering ADL, CBR and CNS, saying it doesn't "mind exploring Adelaide, Canberra, even Cairns. We will see."

Cheers,

C.

Good to know, wasn't aware of their previous comments.

There's an election in Tasmania in a month, let's see if any of the political parties start over promising on incentives to airlines as per Chinese secondary cities (and let's be honest in all likelihood CBR to SQ and QR)

I'm imagining an incentive is how D7 is going to AVV anyways.

JBusworth

Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:27 am

Obzerva wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
According to CAPA:

Obzerva wrote:

Cheers,

C.

There's an election in Tasmania in a month, let's see if any of the political parties start over promising on incentives to airlines as per Chinese secondary cities (and let's be honest in all likelihood CBR to SQ and QR)

Would not be surprising at all if one of the parties promises international flights to HBA. After CBR it is surely the next one up for international flight, even if only a tag.

DavidByrne

Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:31 am

planemanofnz wrote:
AVV cannot support flights to AKL

How do we know this?
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife

EK413

Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:35 am

JBusworth wrote:
Obzerva wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
According to CAPA:

Cheers,

C.

Would not be surprising at all if one of the parties promises international flights to HBA. After CBR it is surely the next one up for international flight, even if only a tag.

Hmm, DOH-HBA-MEL-DOH :roll:

EK413

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos