• 1
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 13
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 4679
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:06 am

Boeing making good progress on Project Sunrise

http://australianaviation.com.au/2018/0 ... valuation/
Forum Moderator
 
smi0006
Posts: 1574
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:00 am

With regard to premium economy, would be interesting to contrast how much is bound for Asia on CX, SQ and how much is continuing on to Europe. I wonder where the majority of the public see value in premium economy? Maybe 8hrs? I’m not sure QF could achieve a market like SQ/CX to Asia. I’d be skeptics of BKK,CGK,MNL
 
redroo
Posts: 310
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:28 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:08 am

JQflightie wrote:
redroo wrote:
I find it frustrating with QF and the constant reconfigure of the aircraft. At the time of the business suite install it was plain for all to see that the one toilet in J was a bad idea and these “domestic” birds would eventually be used internationally. Fast forward a few years and the birds are flying internationally and we need more toots !!


To be fair, whilst frustrating, feedback from passengers and crew helps to solve these issues - and QF have listened if this is the case of the change to 2 Lav's - remember its still only rumourville. Having said that, this was the location of a galley, and aparently still has a majority of the pipework under the flooring, so it could be quiet a easy fix.



The frustrating thing is there are some out there who immediately saw the problem with having a “domestic a330” and an “international a330”; and having only one toilet upfront before the reconfiguration started.

For a small fleet like qantas there is a lot to be said for commonality and standardisation. One configuration across the a330 would have enabled seemleas transition between domestic and international operations - flexing with the times.

The same applies to the economy product. Multiple seats. Multiple seat covers. Some with IFE. Some with iPad. I understand there is a capital cost involved in upgrading the aircraft and everything needs to be taken in context at the time, but a single, simple product would be easier and cheaper to manage in the long run.
 
TN486
Posts: 480
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:08 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:31 am

^^ There are "infrequent" flyers as well, so they probably wouldn't be aware of commonality. There are literally millions of Australians who are QF FF's who are very infrequent travellers (I would suspect who travel economy). They love travelling the Big Red and wouldn't fly anyone else. So, to be a devils advocate, and not being seen to be rude, who cares? I hasten to add I know the answer to that question, I am trying to put it in perspective, as it were.
remember the t shirt "I own an airline"on the front - "qantas" on the back
 
TN486
Posts: 480
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:08 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:36 am

Changing the subject somewhat, what specific routes will these ex JQ A320's be flying in the west ?
remember the t shirt "I own an airline"on the front - "qantas" on the back
 
User avatar
angusjt
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:08 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:44 am

TN486 wrote:
what specific routes will these ex JQ A320's be flying in the west ?


More than likely to be FIFO charter to Broome, Karratha, Port Hedland, Kalgoorlie, Christmas Creek etc.
 
User avatar
CraigAnderson
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:28 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:24 am

JQflightie wrote:
QF have a virtual fly through of the T3 International Terminal, and I have seen it, and it's great, but it's only been released to QF staff
It looks good.
Also, even thought the transit lounge will on,y be open to the customers transiting through from LHR, remember that there is also a International Business Class lounge being built in the terminal too for JC customers and top tier FF's and this too includes showers, so customers on the 71/72, 77/78 and when/if it comes back the 111/112.
On that note, the 111/112 was actually cut short this year, it was suppose to run until April, but was cut early January.


I wish they're share that flythrough video!

You say QF is building a new international business class lounge in T3? That's the first I have heard of it. Surprised it has not been announced by Qantas or leaked or reported anywhere. What is the 'source' for this?
 
User avatar
eta unknown
Posts: 1922
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:03 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:25 am

smi0006 wrote:
With regard to premium economy, would be interesting to contrast how much is bound for Asia on CX, SQ and how much is continuing on to Europe. I wonder where the majority of the public see value in premium economy? Maybe 8hrs? I’m not sure QF could achieve a market like SQ/CX to Asia. I’d be skeptics of BKK,CGK,MNL

Just about all of CX/SQ Y+ pax is europe bound, hence no need for QF to put the product on A330 flights to Asia.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 4679
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:13 am

angusjt wrote:
TN486 wrote:
what specific routes will these ex JQ A320's be flying in the west ?


More than likely to be FIFO charter to Broome, Karratha, Port Hedland, Kalgoorlie, Christmas Creek etc.


Ginbata is another one
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1360
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:35 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
Zkpilot wrote:
mrkerr7474 wrote:
How come Qantas don't offer a PE offering on the international configured A332 or A333?

Although the flights aren't as long as those to UK or US, surely there must be a case to have a few rows (3 even) of PE in a 2-3-2 configuration to go against competitors as well as have that in between Economy and Business market?

Anyone with ideas as to why they haven't re-looked at this or aren't doing it?

Probably because it would be difficult to service galley wise. The A330 has a galley at door 1,2 and 4. PE would be located between 2 and 3 so puts a lot of pressure for space on galley at 2. On some configs it would involve moving through business cabin to get to PE which isn’t ideal. On the 744 it was done out of the economy galley at door 4 which wasn’t far away. Door 4 on an A330 is quite far.


Surely if QF saw demand for W on the routes the A330 fleet flies it they would have installed it. It’s not so probably no demand


Yeah this - if it made sense to do it even thouhg the galley wasn't optimal they would go ahead with it.

CX is on record somewhere saying that W to Australia doesnt work for them either. Its just too short a route up to most Asian places where the 330 fleet goes. Only makes sense on the long haul routes.
 
Obzerva
Posts: 164
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:48 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:32 pm

qf2220 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
Zkpilot wrote:
Probably because it would be difficult to service galley wise. The A330 has a galley at door 1,2 and 4. PE would be located between 2 and 3 so puts a lot of pressure for space on galley at 2. On some configs it would involve moving through business cabin to get to PE which isn’t ideal. On the 744 it was done out of the economy galley at door 4 which wasn’t far away. Door 4 on an A330 is quite far.


Surely if QF saw demand for W on the routes the A330 fleet flies it they would have installed it. It’s not so probably no demand


Yeah this - if it made sense to do it even thouhg the galley wasn't optimal they would go ahead with it.

CX is on record somewhere saying that W to Australia doesnt work for them either. Its just too short a route up to most Asian places where the 330 fleet goes. Only makes sense on the long haul routes.


From memory I think CX originally went for 5 rows of premium economy on the A330s they fitted with premium, and then realised that was too many so went back to 3 rows (21 seats).
Now with a lot of the A330s progressively coming off the AU routes and being replaced with A350s, the number of premium economy seats lifts again, this time to 28.
The A350-1000 which CX has mentioned is likely to SYD will have more again, at 32 seats.

So in the space of a few years, they've gone from introducing it, to downsizing it, to incrementally upsizing it.
 
Ellofiend
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:13 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:53 pm

Any updates as to when the TG 359 on the BKK-SYD route will be introduced?
 
JQflightie
Posts: 546
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:18 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:32 pm

CraigAnderson wrote:
JQflightie wrote:
QF have a virtual fly through of the T3 International Terminal, and I have seen it, and it's great, but it's only been released to QF staff
It looks good.
Also, even thought the transit lounge will on,y be open to the customers transiting through from LHR, remember that there is also a International Business Class lounge being built in the terminal too for JC customers and top tier FF's and this too includes showers, so customers on the 71/72, 77/78 and when/if it comes back the 111/112.
On that note, the 111/112 was actually cut short this year, it was suppose to run until April, but was cut early January.


I wish they're share that flythrough video!

You say QF is building a new international business class lounge in T3? That's the first I have heard of it. Surprised it has not been announced by Qantas or leaked or reported anywhere. What is the 'source' for this?


I presume QF won't show the video, as the final plans are changed, what everyone is calling a Transit Lounge, we are calling a Business Class lounge.
And now the plan is also to have a walkway area leading from the JC Domestic Lounge running parallel with the current walk way from T4 to T3, which will put you into immigration and security.
My source - I'm a internal employee....... I've seen the fly through, the maps, the memo's .....
When is my next holiday?
 
JQflightie
Posts: 546
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:18 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:40 pm

TN486 wrote:
Changing the subject somewhat, what specific routes will these ex JQ A320's be flying in the west ?


Hey TN486,
Nothing has been officially released to the crew yet, but I believe the A320's are predominantly for the likes of GBW/CKW/SLJ first, this will free up atleast 1 B738 for double daily SIN. We were communicated the changes would take place March - the start of the Winter Schedule, however looking through the bid book, not much has changed, so a possible change in date.
The rotation of A/C for the 71/72 usually goes either PER-SLJ/ZNE-PER-SIN-PER so it will be interesting to see if we just have a dedicated few aircraft rotated on the SIN flights, it seems a bit of a waste of aircraft to purely just have 1 B738 just doing the 1 rotation to SIN daily, my bet is that it may look a little like this; ADL-PER-SIN-PER-ADL
BME has always been one of those flights from PER that QF operates part of the year when it's busy, and then B717 all other times.
As for KTA/PHE/ZNE/KGI - Not sure, QF will need more than the '2' A320's to fulfill the current schedule.
When is my next holiday?
 
JQflightie
Posts: 546
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:18 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:45 pm

On other news, the 39 QF B738 with Qantas Entertainment BYOD are getting fitted with USB ports in YC and JC will be getting USB/Power Ports. Retro fitting has already begun. Great news for the travelling public.
When is my next holiday?
 
zkncj
Posts: 2625
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:45 pm

smi0006 wrote:
With regard to premium economy, would be interesting to contrast how much is bound for Asia on CX, SQ and how much is continuing on to Europe. I wonder where the majority of the public see value in premium economy? Maybe 8hrs? I’m not sure QF could achieve a market like SQ/CX to Asia. I’d be skeptics of BKK,CGK,MNL


Have noticed how popular PE has been getting on SYD,BNE,MEL on NZ over the past 18 months (some passengers will be onwards to the USA), its not uncommon to be on these flights with the PE cabin 90-100% full and the flights are only 3-4hours.

That partly comes down too, its much more cost-effective than J on an short-haul service starting at $399ow, when J is more like $899ow. Also that the NZ hard/soft product in PE is about the same or better than on QF/VA 738 J product.

QF probably could see PE on SYD/MEL-PER without to much issues, there is an growing market of private travelers with some wealth.
 
JQflightie
Posts: 546
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:18 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:08 pm

zkncj wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
With regard to premium economy, would be interesting to contrast how much is bound for Asia on CX, SQ and how much is continuing on to Europe. I wonder where the majority of the public see value in premium economy? Maybe 8hrs? I’m not sure QF could achieve a market like SQ/CX to Asia. I’d be skeptics of BKK,CGK,MNL


Have noticed how popular PE has been getting on SYD,BNE,MEL on NZ over the past 18 months (some passengers will be onwards to the USA), its not uncommon to be on these flights with the PE cabin 90-100% full and the flights are only 3-4hours.

That partly comes down too, its much more cost-effective than J on an short-haul service starting at $399ow, when J is more like $899ow. Also that the NZ hard/soft product in PE is about the same or better than on QF/VA 738 J product.

QF probably could see PE on SYD/MEL-PER without to much issues, there is an growing market of private travelers with some wealth.


Hi zkncj,

I beg to differ, the absolute uproar from the high tier FF's on having to purchase a seat at the bulkhead or door 3 showed the unwillingness of having to fork out more money for a seat, yes I understand they shouldn't because of the money they already give to QF, but in all reality I don't think domestic warrant it, especially if it's a whole new product, unlike the new VA Economy X, who have copied the American model, the same seat with more room, and no different service.

As for galley config's - EBG/L still have the galley at door 2 with the split JC, all other 200's had their galley removed from doors 2. On the 300's galley remains at door 2 for JC.
When is my next holiday?
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 4679
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:01 am

AirAsia X says fares will be about 20% lower with the move from MEL to AVV

https://www.airlineratings.com/news/pas ... ety-audit/
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
Qantas94Heavy
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:37 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:20 am

Obzerva wrote:
From memory I think CX originally went for 5 rows of premium economy on the A330s they fitted with premium, and then realised that was too many so went back to 3 rows (21 seats).
Now with a lot of the A330s progressively coming off the AU routes and being replaced with A350s, the number of premium economy seats lifts again, this time to 28.
The A350-1000 which CX has mentioned is likely to SYD will have more again, at 32 seats.

So in the space of a few years, they've gone from introducing it, to downsizing it, to incrementally upsizing it.


The original A330 three class configuration (33G) had 28 PE seats.

CX then replaced one row of PE for two rows of economy, probably after realising they couldn't sell those seats for over double the price of economy (7:16 ≈ 1:2.3).

Ref: http://www.smh.com.au/business/aviation ... 004ru.html
 
tullamarine
Posts: 1755
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:34 am

JQflightie wrote:
On other news, the 39 QF B738 with Qantas Entertainment BYOD are getting fitted with USB ports in YC and JC will be getting USB/Power Ports. Retro fitting has already begun. Great news for the travelling public.


This can be good providing the USB ports have decent power. Some airlines (including QF on the 789) have low power USB ports which are not even sufficient to maintain charge on an iPhone and are practically useless. If you get a high powered USB, they are excellent and will charge up an iPhone or iPad whilst you use it.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 4895
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:44 am

Both QF0002 LHR-DXB and QF0009 MEL-DXB have diverted DWC due weather and holding into DXB.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 4679
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:48 am

The A350-1000 is now on its way to SYD, expected to land in SYD at 2235 tonight

https://www.flightradar24.com/AIB358/1062bcb8

https://twitter.com/Airbus/status/962205332935266304
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 4895
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:08 am

ZK-ZQB currently in BNE transitioning to the VH- registry will become VH-VZG.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
TN486
Posts: 480
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:08 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:29 am

TN486 wrote:
Changing the subject somewhat, what specific routes will these ex JQ A320's be flying in the west ?


Thank you to those who replied to my question. SO, another query. Why is the QF group introducing the A320 to routes intra WA, and can this be a forerunner to "bigger" things? (I know, this is introducing possible discussion around "conspiracy theories"). Is there a chance the A320 is operationally more compatible than the 738 on these routes intra WA?
remember the t shirt "I own an airline"on the front - "qantas" on the back
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 4679
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:33 am

TN486 wrote:
TN486 wrote:
Changing the subject somewhat, what specific routes will these ex JQ A320's be flying in the west ?


Thank you to those who replied to my question. SO, another query. Why is the QF group introducing the A320 to routes intra WA, and can this be a forerunner to "bigger" things? (I know, this is introducing possible discussion around "conspiracy theories"). Is there a chance the A320 is operationally more compatible than the 738 on these routes intra WA?


I believe the A320 is a better short field performer especially during warm weather, when I say warm weather I mean low 40's
Forum Moderator
 
aerokiwi
Posts: 2412
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2000 1:17 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:41 am

TN486 wrote:
^^ There are "infrequent" flyers as well, so they probably wouldn't be aware of commonality. There are literally millions of Australians who are QF FF's who are very infrequent travellers (I would suspect who travel economy). They love travelling the Big Red and wouldn't fly anyone else. So, to be a devils advocate, and not being seen to be rude, who cares? I hasten to add I know the answer to that question, I am trying to put it in perspective, as it were.


It's also interesting because a few threads back it was Virgin getting dumped on for "inconsistent" onboard product. Yet with all the flying I've done domestically over the past 4 years, it had always been Qantas guilty (guiltier?) of that charge. But why fight it when folks are on VA bash roll?

Where it sticks out most is in J on A330 flights where a 737 is subbed in. Man that sucks from both carriers. But at least VA has a consistent 737 and A330 product, regardless aircraft age.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 4679
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:04 am

VH-ZNC is operating its first international service today as QF93

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/vh-znc
Forum Moderator
 
QF744ER
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:21 am

JQflightie wrote:
Hey TN486,Nothing has been officially released to the crew yet, but I believe the A320's are predominantly for the likes of GBW/CKW/SLJ first, this will free up atleast 1 B738 for double daily SIN. We were communicated the changes would take place March - the start of the Winter Schedule, however looking through the bid book, not much has changed, so a possible change in date.
The rotation of A/C for the 71/72 usually goes either PER-SLJ/ZNE-PER-SIN-PER so it will be interesting to see if we just have a dedicated few aircraft rotated on the SIN flights, it seems a bit of a waste of aircraft to purely just have 1 B738 just doing the 1 rotation to SIN daily, my bet is that it may look a little like this; ADL-PER-SIN-PER-ADL.


I don't get this 'freeing up a B738 to operate the double daily SIN flight' theory, QF77/78 has been operating for months now. The aircraft used on the outbound QF77 generally does a regional WA and/or arrives from interstate prior to operating that flight. Could it be possibly for the new MEL-DPS which will require a high thrust rated B738?

The PER-SIN and SYD-DPS flights are only ever operated by -VZZ and XZA thru to J....not sure what differences -XZL thru to -XZP have and why these never operate these longer International services. Any takers??
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 4679
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:46 am

QF744ER wrote:
JQflightie wrote:
Hey TN486,Nothing has been officially released to the crew yet, but I believe the A320's are predominantly for the likes of GBW/CKW/SLJ first, this will free up atleast 1 B738 for double daily SIN. We were communicated the changes would take place March - the start of the Winter Schedule, however looking through the bid book, not much has changed, so a possible change in date.
The rotation of A/C for the 71/72 usually goes either PER-SLJ/ZNE-PER-SIN-PER so it will be interesting to see if we just have a dedicated few aircraft rotated on the SIN flights, it seems a bit of a waste of aircraft to purely just have 1 B738 just doing the 1 rotation to SIN daily, my bet is that it may look a little like this; ADL-PER-SIN-PER-ADL.


I don't get this 'freeing up a B738 to operate the double daily SIN flight' theory, QF77/78 has been operating for months now. The aircraft used on the outbound QF77 generally does a regional WA and/or arrives from interstate prior to operating that flight. Could it be possibly for the new MEL-DPS which will require a high thrust rated B738?

The PER-SIN and SYD-DPS flights are only ever operated by -VZZ and XZA thru to J....not sure what differences -XZL thru to -XZP have and why these never operate these longer International services. Any takers??


I actually think it has more to do with the current pilot shortage at the moment and very little to do with freeing up aircraft for QF77/78. Firstly QF77 departs PER after 4pm and most of these mining charters operate in the morning and return from SIN is a redeye where the aircraft would normally be sitting on the ground in PER.

I suspect it has to do more with the pilot shortage. I was told 3 weeks ago by one of my clients who is a FIFO who flies up to KTA that flights are cancelled quite often and as a passenger has been informed they have cancelled due to shortage of pilots. Also when I flew to SYD back in October my flight departed PER around 12pm and while we were taxiing to runway 6 for takeoff we went past at least 6 F100's just parked away from the terminal. I know that the F100's are not utilised fully but I found this odd to see this many aircraft being parked in the middle of the day.
Forum Moderator
 
Qf648
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:49 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:43 am

TN486 wrote:
TN486 wrote:
Changing the subject somewhat, what specific routes will these ex JQ A320's be flying in the west ?


Thank you to those who replied to my question. SO, another query. Why is the QF group introducing the A320 to routes intra WA, and can this be a forerunner to "bigger" things? (I know, this is introducing possible discussion around "conspiracy theories"). Is there a chance the A320 is operationally more compatible than the 738 on these routes intra WA?



the 320 has approval for ckw, and slj. so would imagine they'd do the charters soon
 
Qf648
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:49 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:45 am

JQflightie wrote:
On other news, the 39 QF B738 with Qantas Entertainment BYOD are getting fitted with USB ports in YC and JC will be getting USB/Power Ports. Retro fitting has already begun. Great news for the travelling public.



Great news (charge the phone), but doesn't nothing for the abysmal choice compared to the Panasonic avod's on the newer birds. Only saving grace is those plane with wifi to the net.
 
User avatar
angusjt
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:08 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:13 pm

QF744ER wrote:

The PER-SIN and SYD-DPS flights are only ever operated by -VZZ and XZA thru to J....not sure what differences -XZL thru to -XZP have and why these never operate these longer International services. Any takers??


If I recall correctly XZP was used for the inaugural QF71/72 flight back in 2015. I also recall seeing XZM operating QF71/72 a couple times over the past year or so, but dont quote me on that.
 
a320fan
Posts: 576
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:04 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:30 pm

angusjt wrote:
QF744ER wrote:

The PER-SIN and SYD-DPS flights are only ever operated by -VZZ and XZA thru to J....not sure what differences -XZL thru to -XZP have and why these never operate these longer International services. Any takers??


If I recall correctly XZP was used for the inaugural QF71/72 flight back in 2015. I also recall seeing XZM operating QF71/72 a couple times over the past year or so, but dont quote me on that.

Perhaps these aircraft have some required equipment for the overwater flights.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300
 
getluv
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:09 pm

aerokiwi wrote:
TN486 wrote:
^^ There are "infrequent" flyers as well, so they probably wouldn't be aware of commonality. There are literally millions of Australians who are QF FF's who are very infrequent travellers (I would suspect who travel economy). They love travelling the Big Red and wouldn't fly anyone else. So, to be a devils advocate, and not being seen to be rude, who cares? I hasten to add I know the answer to that question, I am trying to put it in perspective, as it were.


It's also interesting because a few threads back it was Virgin getting dumped on for "inconsistent" onboard product. Yet with all the flying I've done domestically over the past 4 years, it had always been Qantas guilty (guiltier?) of that charge. But why fight it when folks are on VA bash roll?

Where it sticks out most is in J on A330 flights where a 737 is subbed in. Man that sucks from both carriers. But at least VA has a consistent 737 and A330 product, regardless aircraft age.


And here is your combined monthly QF bashing and VA is great post.

QF have a more complex operation than VA, more aircraft and is in the midst of balancing growth with capex. Air NZ also offers an inconsistent product across the Tasman, again owing to a more complex operation.

It is not possible for a 737 to be subbed in for an A330 within a month’s notice, in fact the flight would be cancelled. Most aircraft decisions are made several weeks in advance while high spending J’s and Flexi Y’s will generally book last minute, so it is doubtful that any aircraft changes made three months in advance would affect them.

The real difference between QF and VA is in the ground operation. VA’s ground operations are still run like an LCC.

If VA is so good they would be cleaning up, yet they aren’t.
Censoring is for cowards.
 
aerokiwi
Posts: 2412
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2000 1:17 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:46 pm

getluv wrote:
aerokiwi wrote:
TN486 wrote:
^^ There are "infrequent" flyers as well, so they probably wouldn't be aware of commonality. There are literally millions of Australians who are QF FF's who are very infrequent travellers (I would suspect who travel economy). They love travelling the Big Red and wouldn't fly anyone else. So, to be a devils advocate, and not being seen to be rude, who cares? I hasten to add I know the answer to that question, I am trying to put it in perspective, as it were.


It's also interesting because a few threads back it was Virgin getting dumped on for "inconsistent" onboard product. Yet with all the flying I've done domestically over the past 4 years, it had always been Qantas guilty (guiltier?) of that charge. But why fight it when folks are on VA bash roll?

Where it sticks out most is in J on A330 flights where a 737 is subbed in. Man that sucks from both carriers. But at least VA has a consistent 737 and A330 product, regardless aircraft age.


And here is your combined monthly QF bashing and VA is great post.

QF have a more complex operation than VA, more aircraft and is in the midst of balancing growth with capex. Air NZ also offers an inconsistent product across the Tasman, again owing to a more complex operation.

It is not possible for a 737 to be subbed in for an A330 within a month’s notice, in fact the flight would be cancelled. Most aircraft decisions are made several weeks in advance while high spending J’s and Flexi Y’s will generally book last minute, so it is doubtful that any aircraft changes made three months in advance would affect them.

The real difference between QF and VA is in the ground operation. VA’s ground operations are still run like an LCC.

If VA is so good they would be cleaning up, yet they aren’t.


Hey someone's gotta point out the double standard. I'm kinda glad it was you that responded.

You'll note that I usually preface everything with "VA's made a lot of mistakes" etc. And the best sign of a good ground game is the ability to bounce back from a disruption and without doubt VA lags there.

But the claims of unacceptable product inconsistency, unjustifiably diverse fleet, incomprehensible branding etc etc ad nauseum don't really stand up to scrutiny, especially when QF gets an almighty pass.

So as much as it pains you, yeah I'll keep pointing out that double standard. Which looks like it's starting to lift a little. And yeah 737s get subbed for 330s and vice versa, on both carriers. Maybe the fleet ops teams are aware months in advance but publicly it's always news to me.
 
HM7
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:01 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:16 pm

Does anyone know when vh-znd will have paint scheme released?
CRJ200, Q400, E175, E195, MD88, MD90, A320, A332, A380, B717, B734, B738, B739, B752, B762, B763, B744, B744ER
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 4895
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:22 am

qf789 wrote:
VH-ZNC is operating its first international service today as QF93

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/vh-znc


Interesting to see how the crew are managed with B789/B744/A380 Ops on the LAX sectors.

Speaking of B789’s I’m certain the BNE based B789 aircraft will op BNE-PER-BNE and BNE-MEL-BNE, BNE-SYD-BNE sectors until the 6th frame comes online.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 4679
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:25 am

HM7 wrote:
Does anyone know when vh-znd will have paint scheme released?


ZND has had its first flight rescheduled at least 3 times this week, its currently sitting in Stall 103 and has been sitting there for a good week now, first flight is now scheduled for tomorrow (early Tuesday our time)

Having kept a watch on things, recently most 787's rolled out at PAE have been sent to PDX for painting. ZND is currently due for delivery 26 Feb
Forum Moderator
 
JQflightie
Posts: 546
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:18 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:34 am

QF744ER wrote:
JQflightie wrote:
Hey TN486,Nothing has been officially released to the crew yet, but I believe the A320's are predominantly for the likes of GBW/CKW/SLJ first, this will free up atleast 1 B738 for double daily SIN. We were communicated the changes would take place March - the start of the Winter Schedule, however looking through the bid book, not much has changed, so a possible change in date.
The rotation of A/C for the 71/72 usually goes either PER-SLJ/ZNE-PER-SIN-PER so it will be interesting to see if we just have a dedicated few aircraft rotated on the SIN flights, it seems a bit of a waste of aircraft to purely just have 1 B738 just doing the 1 rotation to SIN daily, my bet is that it may look a little like this; ADL-PER-SIN-PER-ADL.


I don't get this 'freeing up a B738 to operate the double daily SIN flight' theory, QF77/78 has been operating for months now. The aircraft used on the outbound QF77 generally does a regional WA and/or arrives from interstate prior to operating that flight. Could it be possibly for the new MEL-DPS which will require a high thrust rated B738?

The PER-SIN and SYD-DPS flights are only ever operated by -VZZ and XZA thru to J....not sure what differences -XZL thru to -XZP have and why these never operate these longer International services. Any takers??


The 77/78 doesn't currently go daily, so wherever there is a free aircraft in the schedule it is slotted, hence why it isn't daily, with the freeing up of the B738 in the Pilbara, it means that QF can operate double daily.
QF, uses generally a Panasonic IFE equipped BSI aircraft on these international routes. It's down to basically making sure it's a IFE equipped aircraft on that route, as well as DPS, also it must be able to have a 'Crew Rest Facility' installed, which is easy to do on a BSI B737
When is my next holiday?
 
JQflightie
Posts: 546
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:18 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:36 am

a320fan wrote:
angusjt wrote:
QF744ER wrote:

The PER-SIN and SYD-DPS flights are only ever operated by -VZZ and XZA thru to J....not sure what differences -XZL thru to -XZP have and why these never operate these longer International services. Any takers??


If I recall correctly XZP was used for the inaug
ural QF71/72 flight back in 2015. I also recall seeing XZM operating QF71/72 a couple times over the past year or so, but dont quote me on that.

Perhaps these aircraft have some required equipment for the overwater flights.


All aircraft that are going more than 400nm off the coast must carry life rafts and an additional for max capacity, but no this isn't the reason for using these aircraft, as I've said, it's for the onboard product.
However if the aircraft is being painted in Seletar then it can be any B738 in the fleet.
When is my next holiday?
 
JQflightie
Posts: 546
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:18 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:41 am

qf789 wrote:
QF744ER wrote:
JQflightie wrote:
Hey TN486,Nothing has been officially released to the crew yet, but I believe the A320's are predominantly for the likes of GBW/CKW/SLJ first, this will free up atleast 1 B738 for double daily SIN. We were communicated the changes would take place March - the start of the Winter Schedule, however looking through the bid book, not much has changed, so a possible change in date.
The rotation of A/C for the 71/72 usually goes either PER-SLJ/ZNE-PER-SIN-PER so it will be interesting to see if we just have a dedicated few aircraft rotated on the SIN flights, it seems a bit of a waste of aircraft to purely just have 1 B738 just doing the 1 rotation to SIN daily, my bet is that it may look a little like this; ADL-PER-SIN-PER-ADL.


I don't get this 'freeing up a B738 to operate the double daily SIN flight' theory, QF77/78 has been operating for months now. The aircraft used on the outbound QF77 generally does a regional WA and/or arrives from interstate prior to operating that flight. Could it be possibly for the new MEL-DPS which will require a high thrust rated B738?

The PER-SIN and SYD-DPS flights are only ever operated by -VZZ and XZA thru to J....not sure what differences -XZL thru to -XZP have and why these never operate these longer International services. Any takers??


I actually think it has more to do with the current pilot shortage at the moment and very little to do with freeing up aircraft for QF77/78. Firstly QF77 departs PER after 4pm and most of these mining charters operate in the morning and return from SIN is a redeye where the aircraft would normally be sitting on the ground in PER.

I suspect it has to do more with the pilot shortage. I was told 3 weeks ago by one of my clients who is a FIFO who flies up to KTA that flights are cancelled quite often and as a passenger has been informed they have cancelled due to shortage of pilots. Also when I flew to SYD back in October my flight departed PER around 12pm and while we were taxiing to runway 6 for takeoff we went past at least 6 F100's just parked away from the terminal. I know that the F100's are not utilised fully but I found this odd to see this many aircraft being parked in the middle of the day.


QLink is the one with the pilot shortage.... And let's not talk about the F100's....just 6 of them were just parked? Wow! Half the fleet was actually flying? :duck:
When is my next holiday?
 
D7A330
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:12 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:45 am

a320fan wrote:
QF744ER wrote:
QF744ER wrote:
TT is shortly returning 2 x A320's off lease.


-VNJ and Q are the frames concerned I believe, hearing one of these will end up with VARA.

So are there incoming 737s? Or is TT going to dramatically shrink as the A320s go. VA just took delivery of their last 737, do they have 10 slack that they can pass off to TT or are they planning to shrink mainline.

I question how well this 737 changeover has been thought through. Are TT crews converting over?


Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster.
Rumour has it that more 737s will indeed go to TT so TT should stay roughly the same size. I'd say VOR will be returned to TT first followed by another later this year.
 
JQflightie
Posts: 546
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:18 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:45 am

aerokiwi wrote:
TN486 wrote:
^^ There are "infrequent" flyers as well, so they probably wouldn't be aware of commonality. There are literally millions of Australians who are QF FF's who are very infrequent travellers (I would suspect who travel economy). They love travelling the Big Red and wouldn't fly anyone else. So, to be a devils advocate, and not being seen to be rude, who cares? I hasten to add I know the answer to that question, I am trying to put it in perspective, as it were.


It's also interesting because a few threads back it was Virgin getting dumped on for "inconsistent" onboard product. Yet with all the flying I've done domestically over the past 4 years, it had always been Qantas guilty (guiltier?) of that charge. But why fight it when folks are on VA bash roll?

Where it sticks out most is in J on A330 flights where a 737 is subbed in. Man that sucks from both carriers. But at least VA has a consistent 737 and A330 product, regardless aircraft age.


.... But atleast QF will find a aircraft if an aircraft goes tech, unlike the many cases where VA leave its customers high and dry in aircraft terminals..... The sooner Borghetti goes, the sooner that 'Airline toy' actually has a chance of survival and direction.
When is my next holiday?
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 4679
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:55 am

A couple of pics of the A350-1000 after arriving in SYD

Image

Image

https://twitter.com/Airbus/status/962308223532281856
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 4679
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:07 am

Inaugural QR906 DOH-SYD-CBR departed DOH about 40 minutes ago, A7-BEP is operating the service

https://www.flightradar24.com/QTR906/10652a5c
Forum Moderator
 
zkncj
Posts: 2625
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:50 am

JQflightie wrote:
QF, uses generally a Panasonic IFE equipped BSI aircraft on these international routes. It's down to basically making sure it's a IFE equipped aircraft on that route, as well as DPS, also it must be able to have a 'Crew Rest Facility' installed, which is easy to do on a BSI B737


What does QF do for crew rests on the VH 738s? is it more than on the ZK 738s when its just an spare row at the very back?
 
Boof
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:16 am

qf789 wrote:
HM7 wrote:
Does anyone know when vh-znd will have paint scheme released?


ZND has had its first flight rescheduled at least 3 times this week, its currently sitting in Stall 103 and has been sitting there for a good week now, first flight is now scheduled for tomorrow (early Tuesday our time)

Having kept a watch on things, recently most 787's rolled out at PAE have been sent to PDX for painting. ZND is currently due for delivery 26 Feb

There is some talk on Social Media that the delivery will be 26th but that the aircraft will not be painted, and that it will be flying under the cover of darkness with a US registration and non-QF related callsigns so the arrival at ASP in March is the first true sighting of the aircraft. Time will tell I guess!
Bring back Virgin Blue!
 
jrfspa320
Posts: 421
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:18 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:18 am

JQflightie wrote:
a320fan wrote:
angusjt wrote:

If I recall correctly XZP was used for the inaug
ural QF71/72 flight back in 2015. I also recall seeing XZM operating QF71/72 a couple times over the past year or so, but dont quote me on that.

Perhaps these aircraft have some required equipment for the overwater flights.


All aircraft that are going more than 400nm off the coast must carry life rafts and an additional for max capacity, but no this isn't the reason for using these aircraft, as I've said, it's for the onboard product.
However if the aircraft is being painted in Seletar then it can be any B738 in the fleet.


I think there is also a difference in engine thrust between the fleet with the higher rated engines operating these flights
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 4679
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:22 am

QF has operated another Antarctica charter today, VH-OEG operated the flight from MEL

http://theqantassource.com/qantas-b747- ... c-charter/
Forum Moderator
 
Qf648
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:49 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:53 am

JQflightie wrote:
qf789 wrote:
QF744ER wrote:

I don't get this 'freeing up a B738 to operate the double daily SIN flight' theory, QF77/78 has been operating for months now. The aircraft used on the outbound QF77 generally does a regional WA and/or arrives from interstate prior to operating that flight. Could it be possibly for the new MEL-DPS which will require a high thrust rated B738?

The PER-SIN and SYD-DPS flights are only ever operated by -VZZ and XZA thru to J....not sure what differences -XZL thru to -XZP have and why these never operate these longer International services. Any takers??


I actually think it has more to do with the current pilot shortage at the moment and very little to do with freeing up aircraft for QF77/78. Firstly QF77 departs PER after 4pm and most of these mining charters operate in the morning and return from SIN is a redeye where the aircraft would normally be sitting on the ground in PER.

I suspect it has to do more with the pilot shortage. I was told 3 weeks ago by one of my clients who is a FIFO who flies up to KTA that flights are cancelled quite often and as a passenger has been informed they have cancelled due to shortage of pilots. Also when I flew to SYD back in October my flight departed PER around 12pm and while we were taxiing to runway 6 for takeoff we went past at least 6 F100's just parked away from the terminal. I know that the F100's are not utilised fully but I found this odd to see this many aircraft being parked in the middle of the day.


QLink is the one with the pilot shortage.... And let's not talk about the F100's....just 6 of them were just parked? Wow! Half the fleet was actually flying? :duck:



Well just going to throw a couple of cents in on the F100's. They simply lack the balls to get off the ground in high ambient temp conditions you get in the Pilbara this time of year. This usually means a short hop to paraburdoo (or similar) to get a long strip to get the speed up to take off with the load to get to PER.

Its easier to run the 717, no problems with grunt.
  • 1
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 13

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos