berari
Topic Author

Ethiopian Airlines going nonstop to Toronto

Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:59 am

Ethiopian Airlines is dropping the Dublin stopover westbound on its flights to Toronto as of February 18. While the press release is out from its Canadian offices, schedules have yet to be updated.

It won't be the first time it has operated nonstop to Toronto, I recall seeing them fly over Rome a few times a couple of years ago. I would imagine there will be payload restrictions involved.

Source: http://ethiopianairlines.ca/2018/02/01/ ... o-toronto/

MaverickM11

Re: Ethiopian Airlines going nonstop to Toronto

Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:12 am

They should be able to do the same thing with IAD no?

“Ethiopian Airlines Canada has five-weekly flights from Toronto to Addis Ababa, operating the ultra-modern Boeing 787-900 XWB ” lolz
E pur si muove -Galileo

Flightsimboy

Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:23 am

MaverickM11 wrote:

“Ethiopian Airlines Canada has five-weekly flights from Toronto to Addis Ababa, operating the ultra-modern Boeing 787-900 XWB ” lolz

Did they actually mean the Airbus A350-900XWB :). Oh please do send them to Toronto!! (Yes I know they operate the 787 on the route)

airgeekteen

Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:33 am

Will IAD and ORD also go nonstop?

ahj2000

Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:27 am

How much traffic ia there actually between Toronto and East Africa? What kind of connections are available ex-Addis?
-Andrés Juánez

whywhyzee

Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:31 am

Glad to see it. In the past few months, both PAL and now ET have made their respective YYZ flights direct. I guess it’s a solid indicator of an improving yield environment. Hopefully we see a few more airlines take a crack at Toronto going forward with ULH type routes.

evanb

Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:00 am

There has been a lot of speculation regarding the A350-900's hot and high performance. Assuming this will be an A350 route I guess this will be the the much awaited proving route.

evanb

Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:03 am

ahj2000 wrote:
How much traffic ia there actually between Toronto and East Africa? What kind of connections are available ex-Addis?

Probably not much O&D, but Addis is the biggest hub in Africa and offers more destinations than anyone else, about 75, even more than EK or TK do, in Africa.

Airontario

Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:40 pm

ahj2000 wrote:

Quite a bit. Big Somali, Ethiopian and Tanzanian populations in Toronto. The connections in ADD are well timed and relatively easy to make. I think they're doing very well on this route, but I don't have any inside knowledge.

iadadd

Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:51 pm

Wow this is great news if true !

I'm assuming the schedule will look something like this,
ET502 ADD0045 - YYZ0715 359

YYZ to ADD is 13h nonstop, so I figured out westbound return would be blocked at around 14h 30m

Skyblue39

Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:59 pm

whywhyzee wrote:
Glad to see it. In the past few months, both PAL and now ET have made their respective YYZ flights direct. I guess it’s a solid indicator of an improving yield environment. Hopefully we see a few more airlines take a crack at Toronto going forward with ULH type routes.

This has nothing to do with perceived improved yield. The stop in Dublin was purely a Tech stop, and did not board any PAX....

usflyer msp

Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:53 pm

Skyblue39 wrote:
whywhyzee wrote:

This has nothing to do with perceived improved yield. The stop in Dublin was purely a Tech stop, and did not board any PAX....

Theoretically, people should be willing to pay more for a faster journey...

SpaceshipDC10

Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:04 pm

iadadd wrote:
YYZ to ADD is 13h nonstop, so I figured out westbound return would be blocked at around 14h 30m

Apparently, average flight time for ET503 is 12h07.

https://www.flightradar24.com/ETH503/10595153
I have discovered that once people are truly captivated in their ignorance, they are generally unwilling to let the facts interfere.
(Rick Drury's Flightlines "Paychecks", Airways April 2003)

EChid

Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:07 pm

ahj2000 wrote:

Toronto is apparently widely regarded as the most multicultural city in the world (200 ethnicities, 140 spoken languages) so, based on that, connecting it directly to a major hub anywhere in Africa is a good call. From an airline perspective it also makes more sense, since it's connecting a major star alliance hub in North America with a major star alliance hub in Africa.

https://www.oyster.com/articles/58015-1 ... the-world/

MoKa777

Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:17 pm

Don't forget about the connections to South Africa.
Never be proud. Always be grateful.

SpaceshipDC10

Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:50 pm

MoKa777 wrote:

For instance, you could fly ET503/809 this Thursday and get from YYZ to JNB in 18h25, according to ET schedule.
I have discovered that once people are truly captivated in their ignorance, they are generally unwilling to let the facts interfere.

MapleLeaf789

Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:52 pm

Although Ethiopian was already flying to Toronto, building YYZ's status as a major hub, the non-stop is attractive.

This obviously benefits Air Canada too for onward connections?
Toronto Based

A319/320/321/330/340
B707/727/737/747/767/777/787
BAE146
CRJ200/700
DC8/9/10
DHC8/Q4
E175/195

iadadd

Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:37 pm

MapleLeaf789 wrote:
Although Ethiopian was already flying to Toronto, building YYZ's status as a major hub, the non-stop is attractive.

It does ! ADD-YYZ-USA is a popular choice as connecting in Toronto to a U.S. destination eliminates the need to claim and recheck luggage

S0Y

Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:48 pm

iadadd wrote:
MapleLeaf789 wrote:

It does ! ADD-YYZ-USA is a popular choice as connecting in Toronto to a U.S. destination eliminates the need to claim and recheck luggage

Don't think so, you would have to clear US customs in YYZ and that includes doing the luggage

tofur

Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:30 pm

S0Y wrote:
iadadd wrote:
MapleLeaf789 wrote:

Don't think so, you would have to clear US customs in YYZ and that includes doing the luggage

You do not have to reclaim luggage for an international to USA connection in Toronto. The process is very convenient and saves valuable time for passengers.

Please follow this link. https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/hom ... nt-us.html

berari
Topic Author

Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:05 pm

evanb wrote:
There has been a lot of speculation regarding the A350-900's hot and high performance. Assuming this will be an A350 route I guess this will be the the much awaited proving route.

I think it's going to remain a 787 operated flight. The typo "Being 787-900 XWB" in the press release, in my opinion, relates to the flight being operated by B789. The A350 will be too big for this route which only recently increased to 5x per week. Even the B789 might be too big.

tofur wrote:
S0Y wrote:
iadadd wrote:

You do not have to reclaim luggage for an international to USA connection in Toronto. The process is very convenient and saves valuable time for passengers.

It's worth noting that only those that have Electronic Travel Authorizations or are US/Canadian citizens would find this useful. If you're an African passport holder with a US visitor's visa or a green card, you would find it more convenient to fly directly into the US from ADD. Anyone with an ethnic background and history knows the level of stress and anxiety that occurs when going through immigration in a 1st world country, one (i.e. the US) is plenty enough as it is.

MapleLeaf789 wrote:

AC could benefit, especially given that ETs website does connections onto AC only. There is no codesharing that I have seen out of YYZ within Canada or the US however. AC also does not place its code on ET flight into YYZ, instead, it opts to fly pax to Europe (LHR and CDG) and place its code on ET flights out of there into ADD - I imagine it's AC's way of getting a larger piece of the pie.

MaverickM11 wrote:

I've wondered. While I don't understand the full airline economics, maybe they have a much larger payload into IAD that they are unwilling to restrict in favour of a nonstop. Maybe someone can give us the calculations of a B77W or a B77L flying out of ADD for a nonstop mission, and what payload it'd be capable of.

Airontario

Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:25 pm

berari wrote:

It's worth noting that only those that have Electronic Travel Authorizations or are US/Canadian citizens would find this useful. If you're an African passport holder with a US visitor's visa or a green card, you would find it more convenient to fly directly into the US from ADD. Anyone with an ethnic background and history knows the level of stress and anxiety that occurs when going through immigration in a 1st world country, one (i.e. the US) is plenty enough as it is.

Just to clear it up. If you're connecting in Toronto from an international destination, to a US destination, you do not clear Canadian customs at all. When you arrive you proceed directly to US Customs and Immigration.

whywhyzee

Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:31 pm

Website seems to show 77L equipment, though word from their staff in Toronto is that the plan was to go all 789.

Galwayman

Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:33 pm

Hopefully the traffic ex Dub to Lax will encourage them to keep the routing alive even when they can do ADD > LAX nonstop

The ex Dub > CPT , JNB numbers will hopefully warrant some DUB flights

MoKa777

Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:07 pm

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
MoKa777 wrote:

For instance, you could fly ET503/809 this Thursday and get from YYZ to JNB in 18h25, according to ET schedule.

That will save at least 2 hours compared to other options.
Never be proud. Always be grateful.

SpaceshipDC10

Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:44 pm

MoKa777 wrote:

Even more. Same day, with LH, bet travel time is 32h25 due to the 12-13 hours stop at FRA.

I wonder whether ET will depart ADD later once they go non-stop westbound? Now they depart at 11PM and arrive at YYZ at 07:45AM.

berari
Topic Author

Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:45 pm

Airontario wrote:
berari wrote:

Just to clear it up. If you're connecting in Toronto from an international destination, to a US destination, you do not clear Canadian customs at all. When you arrive you proceed directly to US Customs and Immigration.

You may not clear Canadian customs, but you must have already appied for and received an Electronic Travel Approval from the government prior to checking in for your flight to YYZ from ADD. The rules are explicit, and you can refer to https://www.ethiopianairlines.com/Cms_D ... ingue1.pdf Airlines will not allow you to board unless you have an ETA.

whywhyzee wrote:
Website seems to show 77L equipment, though word from their staff in Toronto is that the plan was to go all 789.

That's what I also see in future schedules. ET is known to not show the correct aircraft when looking up schedules into the future, and regularly swaps aircraft out depending on loads/missions. Annoying but it works for them.

Galwayman wrote:
Hopefully the traffic ex Dub to Lax will encourage them to keep the routing alive even when they can do ADD > LAX nonstop

The ex Dub > CPT , JNB numbers will hopefully warrant some DUB flights

I doubt that we will ever see ADD to LAX nonstop. I also doubt that ET can make the route work without an intermediary stop like DUB with fifth freedom. DUB is likely here to stay, and there is so much more than just CPT and JNB for DUB.

berari
Topic Author

Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:36 am

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
MoKa777 wrote:

Even more. Same day, with LH, bet travel time is 32h25 due to the 12-13 hours stop at FRA.

I wonder whether ET will depart ADD later once they go non-stop westbound? Now they depart at 11PM and arrive at YYZ at 07:45AM.

It depends. They may want to keep it as is to not have an effect on layover times for connecting pax. On the other hand, they may be required to change it if their arrival time at YYZ cannot be changed.

MIflyer12

Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:26 am

MoKa777 wrote:
SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
MoKa777 wrote:

ITA Matrix shows 19:20 via JFK on AC and SA, and 20:50 all Delta via ATL. ITA shows ET503/809 at 20:05.

polaris

Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:40 am

The Ethiopian Airlines Media Release reads "Now providing the only non-stop service both ways from Toronto to Africa". Egyptair flies nonstop both ways between Toronto and Africa.

AF022

Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:18 am

I think the Egyptains are not going to boast about them having the only nonstop between Toronto and Africa.

Flightsimboy

Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:08 pm

whywhyzee wrote:
Hopefully we see a few more airlines take a crack at Toronto going forward with ULH type routes.

Long before TK, MS, SV began one would long to see these at YYZ. Now with ULH planes being rolled out let's hope some additional Asian and Middle Eastern airlines make it here. Kudos to PIA for being one of the first to go non-stop!!

berari
Topic Author

Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:43 pm

AF022 wrote:
I think the Egyptains are not going to boast about them having the only nonstop between Toronto and Africa.

True.

Does Egypt consider itself Middle East or Africa? :twisted:

berari
Topic Author

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:21 pm

According to this german aviation journalist who interviewed ET's CEO, they are also looking to go to Dulles nonstop. He mentions "taking less pax."

Soon @flyethiopian will go @Dulles_Airport non-stop from ADD also westbound on #777 #787 cutting stop @DublinAirport taking less pax #avgeek

https://twitter.com/SpaethFlies/status/ ... 0379436032

Cush

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:27 pm

tofur wrote:
S0Y wrote:
iadadd wrote:

Yes you 100% must reclaim your luggage. This is why I HATE Toronto and will never ever ever fly through there again...
Fly me to the moon let me play among the stars.

berari
Topic Author

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:59 pm

Cush wrote:
tofur wrote:
S0Y wrote:

Yes you 100% must reclaim your luggage. This is why I HATE Toronto and will never ever ever fly through there again...

I did a connection at YYZ four years ago, doing ADD-YYZ-CANADA and I had to claim my luggage and the customs agents were rigorous. In fact, about a dozen of them came to the carousel and randomly started interviewing pax awaiting luggage about the contents of their bags (I was interviewed.) They then marked the customs form, and depending on what it was, you had to go in for secondary and wait for the person that interviewed you. I went through all that, with luggage screened through a machine - I had declared items, and they confirmed that. No big deal, but it's not as seamless as connections I have done at YVR for example, where I'd fly CANADA-YVR-USA and don't need to pick up my bags but they show up on a screen at customs where I verify ownership of the bags.

The rule to collect or not collect luggage at YYZ might be airline specific. I did do an ET to AC connection arriving from ADD on ET and going to USA on AC on the tool linked below and it showed the following customized steps:

Step 1 - Arrive at Toronto Pearson

Your flight will be arriving in Terminal 1.

Step 2 - Determine your gate number

Once you're in the terminal, look for your departing flight on the flight information screens and confirm you are departing from a "F" Gate. Follow the purple "Connections", "Gates" or "F" Gates signs.

Connecting Guide Security
Step 3 - Follow "F" Gate Signage to security screening

Go through security screening. For more information regarding security screening restrictions, please refer to the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) website.

Connecting Guide Baggage
Step 4 - Proceed to the USA Connection Area

This area includes a 3 Step process that eliminates the need to collect your baggage. Airline representatives are available to help guide you through this process and for questions.

Connecting Guide Customs
Step 5 - Continue to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (US CBP)

Upon direction follow the step 3 signage and enter U.S. Customs and Border Protection (US CBP). For more information on US CBP, please visit their website.

Connecting Guide Proceed To Gate
Step 6 - Proceed to your departure gate

Use the flight information screens to confirm your departure gate number. Follow the signage to your "F" gate.

https://www.torontopearson.com/Connecting.aspx#

usflyer msp

Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:20 pm

berari wrote:
Cush wrote:
tofur wrote:

I did a connection at YYZ four years ago, doing ADD-YYZ-CANADA and I had to claim my luggage and the customs agents were rigorous. In fact, about a dozen of them came to the carousel and randomly started interviewing pax awaiting luggage about the contents of their bags (I was interviewed.) They then marked the customs form, and depending on what it was, you had to go in for secondary and wait for the person that interviewed you. I went through all that, with luggage screened through a machine - I had declared items, and they confirmed that. No big deal, but it's not as seamless as connections I have done at YVR for example, where I'd fly CANADA-YVR-USA and don't need to pick up my bags but they show up on a screen at customs where I verify ownership of the bags.

The rule to collect or not collect luggage at YYZ might be airline specific. I did do an ET to AC connection arriving from ADD on ET and going to USA on AC on the tool linked below and it showed the following customized steps:

Step 1 - Arrive at Toronto Pearson

Your flight will be arriving in Terminal 1.

Step 2 - Determine your gate number

Once you're in the terminal, look for your departing flight on the flight information screens and confirm you are departing from a "F" Gate. Follow the purple "Connections", "Gates" or "F" Gates signs.

Connecting Guide Security
Step 3 - Follow "F" Gate Signage to security screening

Go through security screening. For more information regarding security screening restrictions, please refer to the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) website.

Connecting Guide Baggage
Step 4 - Proceed to the USA Connection Area

This area includes a 3 Step process that eliminates the need to collect your baggage. Airline representatives are available to help guide you through this process and for questions.

Connecting Guide Customs
Step 5 - Continue to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (US CBP)

Upon direction follow the step 3 signage and enter U.S. Customs and Border Protection (US CBP). For more information on US CBP, please visit their website.

Connecting Guide Proceed To Gate
Step 6 - Proceed to your departure gate

Use the flight information screens to confirm your departure gate number. Follow the signage to your "F" gate.

https://www.torontopearson.com/Connecting.aspx#

If you are not entering Canada and your bags are checked through - you do not have to claim your bags at YYZ. I have travelled XXX-YYZ-USA 6x and have never had to claim my bags. US CBP does have a video feed of your bag and a way to pull it if they feel it needs to be inspected...

whywhyzee

Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:29 pm

Cush wrote:
tofur wrote:
S0Y wrote:

I do not believe that is the case any longer. They have modernized the connection system, should be pretty seamless now.

marktci

Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:39 pm

Cush wrote:
tofur wrote:
S0Y wrote:

Connecting through Toronto Pearson – From an International Flight to the U.S.

You do not need to claim your checked baggage.
1.Follow purple signage for Connections and F Gates
2.Clear security
3.Enter the U.S. Connection Hall:
-Use Automated Passport Control (APC) or Global Entry (GE) kiosks as applicable
-Scan boarding pass and proceed as directed
-Clear U.S. Customs
4.Follow signage for F Gates and proceed to your departure gate

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/hom ... nt-us.html

(Edit: I see I just posted the same link as was being disagreed with above. I can't believe someone would read that link and still disagree.)

berari
Topic Author

Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:50 pm

marktci wrote:
Cush wrote:
tofur wrote:

2.Clear security
-Clear U.S. Customs

(Edit: I see I just posted the same link as was being disagreed with above. I can't believe someone would read that link and still disagree.)

This is not correct.

Whether or not you pick your bags depends on your connection scenarios. Don't just look at Air Canada's connection scenario, you will need to claim and recheck bags if going from one terminal to another or depending on the airline combination.

Use the airport's tool to determine requirement: https://www.torontopearson.com/Connecting.aspx.

If you for example arrive on Ethiopian into YYZ but connect onto Westjet for domestic or USA, you will need to claim your bag and recheck.

From my lookup, I think you don't need to recheck if your connection is contained within Terminal 1 (Star Alliance.) Even doing Westjet LGW-YYZ-USA requires you to claim and recheck your baggage.

tofur

Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:35 pm

berari wrote:
marktci wrote:
Cush wrote:

2.Clear security
-Clear U.S. Customs

This is not correct.

Whether or not you pick your bags depends on your connection scenarios. Don't just look at Air Canada's connection scenario, you will need to claim and recheck bags if going from one terminal to another or depending on the airline combination.

Use the airport's tool to determine requirement: https://www.torontopearson.com/Connecting.aspx.

If you for example arrive on Ethiopian into YYZ but connect onto Westjet for domestic or USA, you will need to claim your bag and recheck.

From my lookup, I think you don't need to recheck if your connection is contained within Terminal 1 (Star Alliance.) Even doing Westjet LGW-YYZ-USA requires you to claim and recheck your baggage.

The original query was regarding a transfer from Ethiopian Airlines to a USA bound Air Canada flight. As you see from the Toronto Pearson link you provided, the reclaiming of luggage for the transfer is not required.

DSS787

Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:57 pm

There is a good amount of traffic between Africa and Canada and then even more with connections to the US on this flight. There is a good amount of this flight that is in transit to the US when it comes in...

Bags do not need to be claimed in Canada for connections to the US, though US CBP officers have pictures of your baggage and they are able to recall it to the customs inspection area should the need arise.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos