hOMSaR
Topic Author

Yet another emotional support animal controversy - Spirit vs. Hamster

Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:41 pm

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/c ... 71069.html

Basically, passenger had an emotional support hamster, wasn't allowed to carry it on board, and claims an agent told her to flush it down the toilet.
The plural of Airbus is Airbuses. Airbii is not a word.
There is no 787-800, nor 787-900 or 747-800. It's 787-8, 787-9, and 747-8.
A321neoLR is also unnecessary. It's simply A321LR.
Airplanes don't have isles, they have aisles.

indcwby

Re: Yet another emotional support animal controversy - Spirit vs. Hamster

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:03 pm

I think what's more crazy is the fact that she actually flushed the hamster down the toilet. Really? Wasn't really much of an emotional support animal if you are willing to do that.
A319, A320, A330, A340, B717, B727, B737, B747, B757, B767, B777, CRJ7, DC10, MD88, MD11, E145, E175
"Always remember that you fly an airplane with your head, not your hands."

Indy

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:03 pm

I was just looking at that story. Amazing. If true, the agent needs to be fired for being a complete moron. This has nothing to do with emotional support animal polices. This has to do with the worker being a complete tool. You don't flush a live animal.

That said... I am tired of these dang "emotional support" animals. It is a big load of nonsense. There were a number of "emotional support" animals on one of my flights the other day. Maybe it is time for Delta to open a new ATL Dog Park or something like that. I saw countless other dogs walking around on a leash. One person even had a dog off leash at an airport. I saw what appeared to be one legitimate support animal on my return trip. I don't recall if it was FLL-ATL or ATL-IND. The person appeared to be a serviceman and I would suspect it was PTSD related. He actually held his little dog the entire time. The rest just appear to use this loophole as a racket to bring their pets on board for free. So glad Delta is cracking down on this nonsense starting in March.

That is the end of my rant on this subject for today. Or at least for the next few hours :-)
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

usflyer msp

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:24 pm

"Frazzled that fall, Aldecosea decided she needed a distraction. At a Pennsylvania Petco, she bought calm and quiet Pebbles. The hamster lived in her dorm room in a small plastic cage with a green spinning wheel, always scurrying to the front of the cage to greet her owner.

“She was so loving. It was like she knew I needed somebody,” said Aldecosea"

Emotional support animal my ass. This was a pet. That doctor should lose his license.

Tugger

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:29 pm

Indy wrote:
I was just looking at that story. Amazing. If true, the agent needs to be fired for being a complete moron. This has nothing to do with emotional support animal polices. This has to do with the worker being a complete tool. You don't flush a live animal.

I'm not buying it. I can see the discussion between a TSA agent and the passenger containing something like: "Look, I don't care what you do, you can flush it down the toilet for all I care, you are not proceeding to your flight with the hamster.". And even if it was a direct command that in no way actually excuses flushing a live animal down a toilet. People have brains for a reason. They should use them.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

alberchico

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:51 pm

So this idiot actually kills her hamster ???

Absolute moron should not be allowed to own pets ever again.
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

ikramerica

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:57 pm

The hamster knew she needed support, but obviously she's feeling better now, as she was so secure in her emotions she could flush it down the toilet and go on with the flight.

After all, she can buy another hamster on the other end of her trip and who's going to know? Parents do it with their kids disposable pets all the time.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

DDR

Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:22 pm

This almost sounds like animal cruelty. Poor little hamster.

bennett123

Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:37 pm

Given the choice of releasing the animal or flush it down the toilet, the latter was ‘more humane’.

Really?.

TheOldDude

Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:38 pm

DDR wrote:
This almost sounds like animal cruelty. Poor little hamster.

Yes, this is an animal cruelty story that involves aviation, and not the other way around.

BR715

Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:56 pm

I feel that I might be quite a bit more understanding towards the idea of support animals than most commenters here but this story seems inexcusable to me. The lady in question willingly killed. her. hamster. in order to get on that flight. That's not how you act towards a pet that allegedly supports you when you're down. That's not how you act towards any pet.
A319 A320 A321 B712 B738 B744 CS100 E195 F100
A3 AB BE EW FB FR HG LH LX NG OS U2 V7 VY

OneSexyL1011

Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:00 pm

The hamster owner actually flushed her hamster down the toilet. Her "emotional support" hamster at that.

What in the hell? What is she suing for? No amount of money is going to buy you common sense lady.

hayzel777

Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:07 pm

They should charge her with animal cruelty for flushing "pebbles" down the toilet. Gross.

Phosphorus

Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:37 pm

I'm no lawyer, but if she sues, and tells her story, in writing, in the initial petition, or in an affidavit attached, wouldn't it mean that she has actually admitted to, in writing, to animal cruelty?

Logically, a criminal case, in a situation like this, is already lost for her -- either she is guilty, as per own admission; or she lied under oath.
Or it doesn't work like that?
AN4 A40 L4T TU3 TU5 IL6 ILW I93 F50 F70 100 146 ARJ AT7 DH4 L10 CRJ ERJ E90 DC-9 MD-8X YK4 YK2 SF3 S20 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 74M 757 767 777
Ceterum autem censeo, Moscovia esse delendam

Armodeen

Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:12 pm

I presume this wretched creature is being charged with animal cruelty?

AAvgeek744

Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:13 pm

Indy wrote:

That said... I am tired of these dang "emotional support" animals. It is a big load of nonsense. There were a number of "emotional support" animals on one of my flights the other day. Maybe it is time for Delta to open a new ATL Dog Park or something like that. I saw countless other dogs walking around on a leash. One person even had a dog off leash at an airport. I saw what appeared to be one legitimate support animal on my return trip. I don't recall if it was FLL-ATL or ATL-IND. The person appeared to be a serviceman and I would suspect it was PTSD related. He actually held his little dog the entire time. The rest just appear to use this loophole as a racket to bring their pets on board for free. So glad Delta is cracking down on this nonsense starting in March.

That is the end of my rant on this subject for today. Or at least for the next few hours :-)

There are plenty of people who need support animals. I personally have never seen one with anything but a dog (I got yelled at for trying to pet it, I didn't realize that was a no-no). I do think it's getting a bit ridiculous. A peacock, and hamster. What's next? A tarantula or python?

backseatdriver

Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:14 pm

I usually find some angle to defend the passenger. But here, I..... I just can't.

Indy

Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:35 pm

AAvgeek744 wrote:
There are plenty of people who need support animals. I personally have never seen one with anything but a dog (I got yelled at for trying to pet it, I didn't realize that was a no-no). I do think it's getting a bit ridiculous. A peacock, and hamster. What's next? A tarantula or python?

Actually, I think the tarantula has been done. :-)

Super80Fan

Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:44 pm

I don't care if the agent gives you a weapon and tells you to kill it right then and there, this is 100% on the idiot who ACTUALLY did FLUSH A LIVE ANIMAL down a toilet. I hope this "Belen Aldecosea" chick not only gets animal cruelty charges, but also is never hired for a job, ever, as I hope employers run a quick search and see her name next to "flush live animal down the toilet".
RIP McDonnell Douglas

enilria

Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:51 pm

alberchico wrote:

Shouldn't we be prosecuting for animal abuse??? The person had the option of leaving the building with the hamster.

csturdiv

Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:58 pm

Ok, this is just a piece from The Onion that a newspaper picked up. This really did not happen. (I know it did happen, but a part of me hopes it is not...but in this age of eating Tide Pods, anything is possible).
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

BN727227Ultra

Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:03 pm

hOMSaR wrote:
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article198971069.html

Basically, passenger had an emotional support hamster, wasn't allowed to carry it on board, and claims an agent told her to flush it down the toilet.

If (and it's a big if), Spirit told her to do that, they can go to hell. Undoubtedly, the pax should have her head examined.

questions

Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:06 pm

Not a fan of these ridiculous “emotional support animals” that are a slap in the face to those that are truly trained and provide much needed help.

However... without being a drama nut case, couldn’t she have dumped the cage and put Pebbles in her purse for the 2.5 hour flight??

aemoreira1981

Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:07 pm

Lemmywinks could have used that creature!

kjeld0d

Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:11 pm

This person is in college? She really should have started with a more basic education. Should know by the age of 5 not to do that. Dumb agent, dumb person. NK doesn't exactly deal with society's best, does it?

BN727227Ultra

Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:12 pm

This was news in my area a few years ago: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns- ... story.html

IrishAyes

Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:13 pm

what an embarrassment for this generation.

first world people with first world problems, who are simply helpless and incapable of using their brains to navigate through minor issues.

the only solution they see is to latch onto lawsuits, social media, selfies, or any other narcissistic means to get 15 seconds of fame.

and for the nk agents who saw an issue with this? what is the solution: let the gerbil fly, send the girl off with a warning, knowing that she cannot make the return flight with Pebbles, while allowing her plenty of time to figure out her return trip.

not everything has to be black and white. okay, im done.
upcoming flights: JFK-MXP, JFK-KEF, DFW-MEX, BRU-KEF, KEF-DFW, JFK-LIS-RAK, RAK-CMN-LIS, LIS-PRG, PRG-MAD, MAD-LAX: Alitalia, Interjet, WOW Air, Icelandair, TAP Air Portugal, Royal Air Maroc, CSA Czech Airlines, Iberia.

irelayer

Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:13 pm

Nevermind the fact that it's incredibly irresponsible to bring a rodent on an airplane. Thing gets loose in that plane it could chew through all sorts of wiring.

NYPECO

Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:25 pm

She would have a better argument against Spirit if she didn't flush her pet down the toilet.

lightsaber

Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:34 pm

Am I a bad person for smiling that someone probably did say something inappropriate, but it kept a stupid emotional support animal off the aircraft?

I feel for the little furry guy. Ghad, last living thoughts is the spinning Jacuzzi of death...

alberchico wrote:

100% agree. In fact, charge her with something that prevents owning a gun, knives (including steak knives), and operating any vehicle that travels over 35mph. Seriously?!?

Am I also a bad person for wanting to hear her ex-boyfriends' stories? I'm not thinking she ever had a nice breakup.

Or are the whereabouts of her exes unknown? :devil:
You only have the first amendment with the 2nd. If you're not going to offend someone with what you say, you don't have the 1st.

usflyer msp

Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:38 pm

She has no lawsuit. No airline allows rodents on their aircraft.

My sister tried to purchase a pet rat on her last trip and I finally talked her out of it when I told her she could not bring it home on the plane.

This imbecile should have just have just fed it to somones emotional support boa constrictor and called it a day...

lightsaber

Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:41 pm

IrishAyes wrote:
what an embarrassment for this generation.

first world people with first world problems, who are simply helpless and incapable of using their brains to navigate through minor issues.

the only solution they see is to latch onto lawsuits, social media, selfies, or any other narcissistic means to get 15 seconds of fame.

and for the nk agents who saw an issue with this? what is the solution: let the gerbil fly, send the girl off with a warning, knowing that she cannot make the return flight with Pebbles, while allowing her plenty of time to figure out her return trip.

not everything has to be black and white. okay, im done.

As posted before, rodents on aircraft are a safety hazard. You do know rodents get a high off chewing data wires, right? How many cables on a FWB aircraft would you let Pebbles chew through on your flight?

So there is no nk agent solution to let a rodent fly. This is like letting fruit flies fly. Seems harmless...

Lightsaber
You only have the first amendment with the 2nd. If you're not going to offend someone with what you say, you don't have the 1st.

caverunner17

Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:27 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
"Frazzled that fall, Aldecosea decided she needed a distraction. At a Pennsylvania Petco, she bought calm and quiet Pebbles. The hamster lived in her dorm room in a small plastic cage with a green spinning wheel, always scurrying to the front of the cage to greet her owner.

“She was so loving. It was like she knew I needed somebody,” said Aldecosea"

Emotional support animal my ass. This was a pet. That doctor should lose his license.

I've called out two passengers with "emotional support animals before" One was a cat, the other was a rabbit. i totally get having a dog for visually impaired or those prone to seizures. But if you're bringing a non-working animal onboard and trying to pass it off as an "emotional support" animal, I have no issues calling your bluff out loud and embarrassing you.

ty97

Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:30 pm

This doesn't sound like a registered emotional support animal.

Regardless, why is this woman not under arrest after confessing to flushing the hamster?

Seabear

Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:36 pm

Emotional support hamster, meet Emotional support python...

AWACSooner

Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:22 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:

Mr Slave does NOT appreciate this comment ;)

LAXdude1023

Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:53 pm

I didn’t need any more reasons to hate mankind but I found one.
Next flight: IAH-IST-TXL-IST-IAH on TK in J

AtomicGarden

Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:27 am

So actually the "villain" in this story turns out to be the so called "sick" person. I really hope she never ever again gets to have a pet.

jumpseat67

Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:30 am

Indy wrote:

So the agent is a complete moron and needs to be fired? Really? If a gate agent told me to go jump off of a bridge, I would ask to see the Contract of Carriage first before doing so.

IrishAyes

Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:37 am

AWACSooner wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

Mr Slave does NOT appreciate this comment ;)

Absolutely brilliant!
upcoming flights: JFK-MXP, JFK-KEF, DFW-MEX, BRU-KEF, KEF-DFW, JFK-LIS-RAK, RAK-CMN-LIS, LIS-PRG, PRG-MAD, MAD-LAX: Alitalia, Interjet, WOW Air, Icelandair, TAP Air Portugal, Royal Air Maroc, CSA Czech Airlines, Iberia.

Tugger

Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:48 am

AtomicGarden wrote:
So actually the "villain" in this story turns out to be the so called "sick" person. I really hope she never ever again gets to have a pet.

Sorry, too late, her lawyer says she already has a replacement:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/201 ... 320062002/

Hopefully someone will help the poor creature and take it from her.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

Indy

Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:27 am

jumpseat67 wrote:
Indy wrote:

So the agent is a complete moron and needs to be fired? Really? If a gate agent told me to go jump off of a bridge, I would ask to see the Contract of Carriage first before doing so.

Please. Let's not be an apologist for the gate agent if he/her said that. If an employee is telling a customer to kill their emotional support animal.... they need to go. Period.

aemoreira1981

Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:46 am

For all of the posters not from the USA, and maybe even some who are, this is once again proof positive that the craziest people in America seem to be from the state of Florida. When I read that this was in Florida, I was completely unsurprised.

robsaw

Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:38 am

Tugger wrote:
Indy wrote:

I'm not buying it. I can see the discussion between a TSA agent and the passenger containing something like: "Look, I don't care what you do, you can flush it down the toilet for all I care, you are not proceeding to your flight with the hamster.". And even if it was a direct command that in no way actually excuses flushing a live animal down a toilet. People have brains for a reason. They should use them.

Tugg

My thoughts exactly - no idea if this was the actual case but highlights the can of worms that has been opened with emotional support animals. Should be two conditions:
1. Actually certified by a doctor (and not an email diagnosis either).
2. Verfied as trained for service in a public environment AND meets reasonable safety req't's within the confines of an aircraft; or goes in a carrier that fits under the seat or in the hold.

c933103

Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:36 am

well, I can see why emotionally unstable people might lose their sanity or process any info they're being told literally word for word in situation where they become panic.

Blerg

Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:51 am

Indy wrote:
jumpseat67 wrote:
Indy wrote:

Please. Let's not be an apologist for the gate agent if he/her said that. If an employee is telling a customer to kill their emotional support animal.... they need to go. Period.

It's because of people like you that we have to warned that our coffee is hot.

Bavd

Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:00 am

Blerg wrote:
Indy wrote:
jumpseat67 wrote:

It's because of people like you that we have to warned that our coffee is hot.

And that you should not put your hamster in a microwave in order to dry it after you flushed it! :)

thekorean

Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:41 am

BN727227Ultra wrote:
hOMSaR wrote:
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article198971069.html

If (and it's a big if), Spirit told her to do that, they can go to hell. Undoubtedly, the pax should have her head examined.

Considering she tried to flush Pebbles, I am inclined to believe Spirit.

UAL777UK

Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:33 am

I mean like........words fail me.....is this story for real? Why did this person even think in the first instance that this poor little hamster was going to fly with her...and what happens afterwards......absolutely bonkers! She needs therapy!

vrbarreto

Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:49 am

Perhaps she took its spirit with her on Spirit... That's why she drowned it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos