FrancisBegbie

Re: Yet another emotional support animal controversy - Spirit vs. Hamster

Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:51 am

Indy wrote:
jumpseat67 wrote:
Indy wrote:
I was just looking at that story. Amazing. If true, the agent needs to be fired for being a complete moron. This has nothing to do with emotional support animal polices. This has to do with the worker being a complete tool. You don't flush a live animal.

So the agent is a complete moron and needs to be fired? Really? If a gate agent told me to go jump off of a bridge, I would ask to see the Contract of Carriage first before doing so.

Please. Let's not be an apologist for the gate agent if he/her said that. If an employee is telling a customer to kill their emotional support animal.... they need to go. Period.

Oh come on. If somebody tells you to go f*** yourself, you don't immediately drop your pants, do you?

Indy

Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:36 am

I still see more apologizing for the agent. It was wrong of the girl to flush the hamster. No one is disputing that. If the agent told her to do so then the agent was 100% in the wrong. I think it says a lot about the industry and the contempt shown towards the customers that people are willing to dismiss or excuse the behavior of the employee. If this story is true, I guarantee you that employee is fired in almost any other industry. It takes a pretty bad apple to tell someone to kill their emotional support pet. The fact that some people simply cannot or will not grasp that idea is pretty sad.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

Blimpie

Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:43 am

Blerg wrote:
Indy wrote:
jumpseat67 wrote:

So the agent is a complete moron and needs to be fired? Really? If a gate agent told me to go jump off of a bridge, I would ask to see the Contract of Carriage first before doing so.

Please. Let's not be an apologist for the gate agent if he/her said that. If an employee is telling a customer to kill their emotional support animal.... they need to go. Period.

It's because of people like you that we have to warned that our coffee is hot.

Well... unless you are in California where said coffee is going to likely need be accompanied with a giant warning sticker that reads: This product contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer.

Indy wrote:
I still see more apologizing for the agent. It was wrong of the girl to flush the hamster. No one is disputing that. If the agent told her to do so then the agent was 100% in the wrong. I think it says a lot about the industry and the contempt shown towards the customers that people are willing to dismiss or excuse the behavior of the employee. If this story is true, I guarantee you that employee is fired in almost any other industry. It takes a pretty bad apple to tell someone to kill their emotional support pet. The fact that some people simply cannot or will not grasp that idea is pretty sad.

As much as I dislike Spirit, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that said college student started to make a scene, whimpering and at this point outright pissed off the agent and when pressed for the hundredth time, said agent barked, "you can flush him down the toilet for all I care!" If this kid is so emotional unstable that she needs a "support hamster" she like is unstable enough to have taken an angry retort literally.

PS: This is was not a support animal, this is a pet!! One has to wonder if the behavior of the agent is the new norm, one needs to look at the catalyst within the industry that caused this. There's two at fault, the airlines themselves, but also the pax.
Now get the hell off of my lawn your dang kids!

JetBuddy

Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:46 am

There's only one victim here, and that's Pebbles the hamster.

VX321

Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:23 pm

Poor hamster. This girl
a) should never have another pet
b) proved how fraudulent ESAs are. If she got rid of the hamster she “needed” and then flew after that it’s clear that it was a pet.
If in fact an agent told her to flush it down the toilet then they should be fired. That said, I have a feeling I know who will win this case.

usflyer msp

Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:06 pm

Indy wrote:

...because none of us believe the agent actually said that.

From what I have read, NK tried to rebook her on a flight 9 hours later to give her time to figure out something for the hamster and she refused. The hamster death is 100% on her.

Calder

Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:38 pm

I'm having a hard time believing this story. It's just.. too ridiculous.

Is this real life?

If it is, and the airline rep actually told her to flush it, why would you not look them in the eye and tell them to piss off? (add in your choice of vulgarity).

Do people my age actually follow asinine "orders" like this regularly? This is just an astounding level of compliance. And stupidity.
C. T.

KodieDUR

Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:52 pm

DDR wrote:
This almost sounds like animal cruelty. Poor little hamster.

Prosecutor/lawyer here and this is most likely criminal animal cruelty in most jurisdictions and her statement is an admission so....

CBBW

Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:22 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
For all of the posters not from the USA, and maybe even some who are, this is once again proof positive that the craziest people in America seem to be from the state of Florida. When I read that this was in Florida, I was completely unsurprised.

Florida Woman strikes again!

Tugger

Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:32 pm

Indy wrote:

Look, I can kinda see your point but put simply: I do not believe the statement made the girl to be truthful as she has proven herself to have questionable values. If she is willing to kill and animal that she supposedly loves and needs, why would you or anyone take her word for what was said or that someone else made her do something?

Yes, no agent should command and force someone to kill something. That is a fireable offense, if it can be proven and there was force and malice and intent of harm. It is wrong to do so. However as I said, I can see a, what is supposed to be a off hand, comment along the lines of what I said earlier but that type of comment would not be a fireable offense.(In my opinion, others you may of course disagree.) A write up? Sure probably, don't say silly things to customers, OK.

I lay this at the woman's feet, it was her actions that caused the death of the hamster. She killed it when other options were provided by those same people that she is claiming directed her to do something wrong. The agents did not take control of this woman's actions and force her to flush anything. She did it, herself, on her own. It was wrong. It was actually unconscionable. And the fact that she did it, to me at least, discredits her. She has no integrity for one to believe her statement impugning others.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

highflier92660

Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:29 pm

This Pebbles-the-hamster story contains enough groan-worthy content in itself, but very quickly all the airlines are going to have to address this problem of so-called support animals. We've all seen an astonishing increase in the number of pets at boarding gates. On my last flight out of LAX there was a twenty-something woman with bilious bedroom pink hair and a metallic something attached to her mouth sitting at the gate across from me. She was carrying a small basket containing an adorable dog with one of those doggie faces who was clearly the more normal passenger of this duo.

But where does the concept of a comfort animal end; a terrier dog, an ostrich, a water buffalo or a T-Rex? Not so long ago this topic would have qualified many passengers for a Looney-Tunes mental designation. How about everything falling under the general category of homo sapien ride in the passenger cabin and everything else below in the wonderfully pressurized and heated cargo compartment.

Flighty

Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:09 pm

It took me two days to realize the passenger actually killed the animal! Jeez! Spirit has to feel awful. It's the passenger's fault but still, we can't have this. I feel like this event will lead to better solutions to this controversy.

Heinkel

Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:09 pm

May be that woman followed discussions on A-Net before.

There are many members, who have the opinion, that passengers have to follow orders from airline staff in uniform under all circumstances. Regardsless how stupid/senseless they are.

That's what she did. (According to her statement).

OK, there is no evidence at the moment, that the airline employee really gave the order or recommendation to flush the hamster.

Is there any comment from the airline?

bgm

Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:19 pm

Just another day in the crazy US of A. :boggled:

I really want to believe this is satire, please let it be satire...
When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

flyingclrs727

Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:33 pm

highflier92660 wrote:
This Pebbles-the-hamster story contains enough groan-worthy content in itself, but very quickly all the airlines are going to have to address this problem of so-called support animals. We've all seen an astonishing increase in the number of pets at boarding gates. On my last flight out of LAX there was a twenty-something woman with bilious bedroom pink hair and a metallic something attached to her mouth sitting at the gate across from me. She was carrying a small basket containing an adorable dog with one of those doggie faces who was clearly the more normal passenger of this duo.

But where does the concept of a comfort animal end; a terrier dog, an ostrich, a water buffalo or a T-Rex? Not so long ago this topic would have qualified many passengers for a Looney-Tunes mental designation. How about everything falling under the general category of homo sapien ride in the passenger cabin and everything else below in the wonderfully pressurized and heated cargo compartment.

They better not ban my emotional support manatee.
Oh the huge manatee!

UPNYGuy

Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:52 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
For all of the posters not from the USA, and maybe even some who are, this is once again proof positive that the craziest people in America seem to be from the state of Florida. When I read that this was in Florida, I was completely unsurprised.

do a google search for Cherries Waffles Tennis

you have no idea how correct you are.

CobaltScar

Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:06 pm

Florida is made up of people from all over the USA.

Anyways, this woman needs to spend some time behind bars, and then community service at various animal charities.

santi319

Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:08 pm

The world to America:
"Why can't you be normal"

America:
*flushes emotional support hamster down the toilet and eats laundry detergent*

audian

Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:10 pm

I still could not understand this theory of "Emotional Support Animal on a Flight". Like a peacock, hamster. God what world are we in?

DDR

Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:21 pm

KodieDUR wrote:
DDR wrote:
This almost sounds like animal cruelty. Poor little hamster.

Prosecutor/lawyer here and this is most likely criminal animal cruelty in most jurisdictions and her statement is an admission so....

Glad to hear it. I hope law enforcement goes after this cruel person.

Airstud

Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:23 pm

#hamstergate is trending on Twitter

"At stake is nothing less than the credibility of all Floridians who rely on emotional support rodents."
Pancakes are delicious.

UPNYGuy

Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:39 pm

At the very least, this will hopefully pave the way for airlines to establish policies that have some teeth in them. They need some clear guidelines when it comes to dealing with support and service animals.

MrBretz

Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:51 pm

Airstud, it would be more appropriate for Floridians to have emotional support palmetto bugs. I can say that since I lived there for 10 years in the not too distant past.

lightsaber

Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:48 am

MrBretz wrote:
Airstud, it would be more appropriate for Floridians to have emotional support palmetto bugs. I can say that since I lived there for 10 years in the not too distant past.

I'm from Florida. Do I get an emotional support frog, water moccasin, or gator?

Craziest people from Florida? As a California resident, I beg to differ.

Lightsaber
You only have the first amendment with the 2nd. If you're not going to offend someone with what you say, you don't have the 1st.

aaflyer222

Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:56 am

this idiot lady should be charged on animal cruelty and be on the no fly list.
74m, 772, 763, 764, 752, 733, 734, 738, 739, a319, a320, a321, s80, m88, m90, e190, e170, e175, e140, e145, cr2, cr7, cr9, dh1, dh3, dh4, at72, s340

MrBretz

Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:32 am

lightsaber wrote:
MrBretz wrote:

I'm from Florida. Do I get an emotional support frog, water moccasin, or gator?

Craziest people from Florida? As a California resident, I beg to differ.

Lightsaber

I agree completely with you, Lightsaber. I am a native Californian who lived in Florida for 10 years. I have to admit there are crazies in both places. You and I are excluded??? BTW, I have moved back to CA.

LAX772LR

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:13 am

BR715 wrote:
The lady in question willingly killed. her. hamster.

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on how far it has to go.

Rats swim up and down toilets all the time. Granted, I doubt a hamster has the exact durability of a sewer rat.... but who knows, maybe he made it. :)
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

IslandRob

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:31 am

JetBuddy wrote:
There's only one victim here, and that's Pebbles the hamster.

Ain't that the crushing truth? Maybe Spirit will name an airplane in memory of dear, sweet Pebbles. -ir
If you wrote me off I'd understand it
Because I've been on some other planet
So come pick me up, I've landed

jumpseat67

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:44 am

Was thinking KBWI could use a new RNAV Departure...was thinking of the following out of respect for the situation:
HMSTR1 BELEN PEBLS FLUSH TOILT PIPES DRAIN SWIMM RIVRR OCEAN. Any help from our ATC friends would be appreciated...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos