FA9295
Topic Author

Why are Alaska and American still partner airlines?

Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:03 am

I don't see much of a reason that would benefit any of these airlines here. They're direct competitors. (although the same could be said for PenAir and Alaska, which also codeshare some flights). Before the AS/VX merger, I could understand it to an extent, but now I don't think AS needs to codeshare with AA's routes anymore... Thoughts...?

mict

Re: Why are Alaska and American still partner airlines?

Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:37 am

I don't know, I think it's a good partnership. AA's network within the northwest is close to non existent. On the other hand AS's coverage of the southeast is pretty bad.
So overall I think the partnership makes sense.

Aliqiout

Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:57 am

AA serves many markers AS does not. AS serves many that AA does not, and then there is international with no competition. Why shouldn't AA continue to help fill their planes with AS mileage plan members?

neomax

Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:40 pm

mict wrote:
I don't know, I think it's a good partnership. AA's network within the northwest is close to non existent. On the other hand AS's coverage of the southeast is pretty bad.

Never thought about this, but you are absolutely right! Does UA have some sort of similar arrangement in the SE?

superjeff

Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:47 pm

neomax wrote:
mict wrote:

Never thought about this, but you are absolutely right! Does UA have some sort of similar arrangement in the SE?

They used to with US Airways (prior to the UA/CO merger). Both carriers were Star Alliance and the relationship was mutually beneficial. When UA and CO merged, US felt the need to merge and ended up basically acquiring much larger American, switched alliances, and terminated their relationship with United.

tphuang

Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:53 pm

They already cut off most of the partnership. What’s left outside of a few overpriced code shares?

RJNUT

Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:31 pm

tphuang wrote:
They already cut off most of the partnership. What’s left outside of a few overpriced code shares?

The DOJ made them give up most hub to hub flights which were the bread and butter of the relationship that connected the two networks!

Aliqiout

Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:56 pm

tphuang wrote:

Earning and using miles internationally is still going strong. Redemptions are still allowed across the systems.

tphuang

Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:47 pm

Aliqiout wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Earning and using miles internationally is still going strong. Redemptions are still allowed across the systems.

Say what you will, huge slashes to the partnership. A lot of complaints going on among the AS FFs. The most important part of earning miles for status qualification is gone outside of the AS marketed flights.
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/aa-ala ... rtnership/

wnflyguy

Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:01 pm

They still feed each other quite well! Look to the near future take PAE-PHX service for example this flight will probably be timed for maximum connections on AA. Also gives AA access to PAE with no skin in the game. Yes AS had to give up a little to get approval to Buy VX. But still a great revenue stream for both airlines.

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

EA CO AS

Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:03 pm

tphuang wrote:
Aliqiout wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Say what you will, huge slashes to the partnership. A lot of complaints going on among the AS FFs. The most important part of earning miles for status qualification is gone outside of the AS marketed flights.

From what I’ve seen, when saying there are “a lot of complaints,” you tend to be the one leading the charge in complaining on FlyerTalk.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

tphuang

Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:05 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
tphuang wrote:
Aliqiout wrote:

From what I’ve seen, when saying there are “a lot of complaints,” you tend to be the one leading the charge in complaining on FlyerTalk.

Go look up the threads in question. It’s the actual ff that complained. Why would I care if I don’t credit my aa flying to as account?

MIflyer12

Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:10 pm

The OP could look at the domestic route maps of AA and AS. Better yet, he could look at the very low frequencies by AS into Midwest and Eastern markets. That's why they're still partners. Even after the DOJ demand to roll back the partnership -- to which AS agreed to gain approval for the VX buy -- something is better than nothing.

chrisair

Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:17 pm

Aliqiout wrote:

Except three weeks later my AA Intl flight still hasn’t posted...

wnflyguy wrote:
Look to the near future take PAE-PHX service for example this flight will probably be timed for maximum connections on AA.

Bookable AS/AA codeshares from Phoenix go to SAN/BOI/SMF/SNA/SJC/SLC. No AS codeshares are on AA Phoenix flights east of Salt Lake City or Boise. Doubt the PAE service will be timed for anything in Phoenix.

EA CO AS wrote:

You clearly don’t fly your airline much and listen to the customers on the plane. I’ve heard “I don’t understand why I can’t earn miles anymore on AA” and “I’ve had to abandon Alaska this year since I can’t get to city XYZ” more times than I can count.

They clearly are focused (maybe?) on being a west coast centric airline. But then again, you can’t fly to major markets at all like Houston, Atlanta and Phoenix (for more than three weeks a year), and have minimal options to other major markets like Chicago, Dallas, Minneapolis, and Denver from their hubs in California.

MIflyer12 wrote:
The OP could look at the domestic route maps of AA and AS. Better yet, he could look at the very low frequencies by AS into Midwest and Eastern markets. That's why they're still partners. Even after the DOJ demand to roll back the partnership -- to which AS agreed to gain approval for the VX buy -- something is better than nothing.

That was last year. The partnership was scaled back (again) dramatically in July. No earning on AA flights unless they’re international flights, OR, codeshares with AS, of which, there are not many, and even less that are actually bookable.

NYCVIE

Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:19 pm

superjeff wrote:
neomax wrote:
mict wrote:

They used to with US Airways (prior to the UA/CO merger). Both carriers were Star Alliance and the relationship was mutually beneficial. When UA and CO merged, US felt the need to merge and ended up basically acquiring much larger American, switched alliances, and terminated their relationship with United.

US didn't acquire AA. US/AA was a merger and not an acquisition.

usxguy

Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:42 pm

I'm also one of those who really misses the AA/AS relationship. Its made a few trips a hair more challenging, and I'm now actively looking at OTHER airlines since I don't get AS credit on ANY domestic AA flight, but I'm not all whiny about it on FlyerTalk.

Case in point: I have to fly to Tampa to see a medical practitioner. I'll be in South Florida. Up until December, I would have NOT hesitated to book AA and fly Miami - Tampa. Now, without the 500 miles earning ability (EQM and regular, plus Gold bonuses), I'm seriously considering Southwest, Spirit, or even Silver. I have NO reason to chose AA domestically, even with the Board, err Alaska Lounge and Admirals Club reciprocity. Spending 30 minutes in the lounge on either side doesn't justify a modified flight schedule or save a few bucks just to fly AA.
xx

Aliqiout

Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:39 pm

tphuang wrote:
Aliqiout wrote:
tphuang wrote:

It's only the most important part of the partnership if your main source of AS miles on AA metal is domestic. AS has good domestic coverage for many people. For them, international AA earning and redeeming is much more important than what was taken away.

Of course narrowing the partnership was a blow to the program, but every program has been degrading for all but the highest fare flyers, and the partnership still serves a purpose. With the recent loss of partners I will probably never be MVP Gold again, but my main reason for being a mileage plan member is for redeemable miles, and it still makes sense to try to earn as much as I can in the AS program. If the AA partnership ended, most likely taking BA with them, that might not be the case anymore.

superjeff

Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:24 pm

NYCVIE wrote:
superjeff wrote:
neomax wrote:

Arguably not so. it was proposed by US to take AA out of Bankruptcy; US got the unions on their side and thus pushed it through over Tom Horton's management group's objections. That's why Doug Parker and his team are now managing the company.

NYCVIE

Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:30 am

superjeff wrote:
NYCVIE wrote:
superjeff wrote:

Arguably not so. it was proposed by US to take AA out of Bankruptcy; US got the unions on their side and thus pushed it through over Tom Horton's management group's objections. That's why Doug Parker and his team are now managing the company.

Right but US did not take over or acquire AA. US did not buy AA. US/HP merger was an acquisition of US by HP with them keeping the US name. US/AA was an equal merger.

ahj2000

Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:11 am

chrisair wrote:
Aliqiout wrote:

Except three weeks later my AA Intl flight still hasn’t posted...

wnflyguy wrote:
Look to the near future take PAE-PHX service for example this flight will probably be timed for maximum connections on AA.

Bookable AS/AA codeshares from Phoenix go to SAN/BOI/SMF/SNA/SJC/SLC. No AS codeshares are on AA Phoenix flights east of Salt Lake City or Boise. Doubt the PAE service will be timed for anything in Phoenix.

EA CO AS wrote:

You clearly don’t fly your airline much and listen to the customers on the plane. I’ve heard “I don’t understand why I can’t earn miles anymore on AA” and “I’ve had to abandon Alaska this year since I can’t get to city XYZ” more times than I can count.

They clearly are focused (maybe?) on being a west coast centric airline. But then again, you can’t fly to major markets at all like Houston, Atlanta and Phoenix (for more than three weeks a year), and have minimal options to other major markets like Chicago, Dallas, Minneapolis, and Denver from their hubs in California.

MIflyer12 wrote:

That was last year. The partnership was scaled back (again) dramatically in July. No earning on AA flights unless they’re international flights, OR, codeshares with AS, of which, there are not many, and even less that are actually bookable.

Ive had terrible luck with American's partner awards posting within a reasonable amount of time on LAN and WestJet. Can take up to a month in my experience-
-Andrés Juánez

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos