Cody
Topic Author

Thinking About United Shuttle

Tue Aug 24, 1999 1:30 am

My parents flew from BWI to Las Vegas via Denver yesterday. The Denver-Las Vegas portion was a United Shuttle flight. Overall they were not impressed. They could not board together because of the way Shuttle puts passengers on window seats, middle seats, aisle seats. They said the seat covers were literally falling apart and the flight attendants wore casual uniforms. Here is my question.....Why would a world class airline confuse everyone by operating two different airlines under two totally different regiments? Air Travel is confusing enough and let's face it......If you didn't
keep up with the airline industry you would be clueless as to why they operate them seperately. I feel one day Shuttle, MetroJet,and Delta Express will return to the mainline. In the long run it makes absolutely no sense. A company needs ONE brand identity. They can't be all things to all people.

RE: Thinking About United Shuttle

Tue Aug 24, 1999 2:11 am

Cody wrote:
-------------------------------
Here is my question.....Why would a world class airline confuse everyone by operating two different airlines under two totally different regiments?

A lot of us at UAL are asking corporate management the same question.

United946

FLY777UAL

Tue Aug 24, 1999 7:15 am

Shuttle is a disgrace to the industry---especially United. UA's purpose for Shuttle is a very valid one, and just like a lot of UA's corporate decisions, it makes good (business) sense at the expense of the passenger and the employees. Please...write into UA and tell them that Shuttle needs to be disbanded at once! You never know...it just might help a little!

FLY777UAL

Charles802

RE: United Shuttle

Tue Aug 24, 1999 1:41 pm

Why is United not giving Shuttle Economy Plus...that is where it is needed it the most! I have no idea why Shuttle keeps making changes to their color scheme...this is only adding to the overall confusion. I have had several bad experiences on United Shuttle...from lost luggage, to poor customer service. I haven't had any problems on-board, but then again, you don't expect any. United Shuttle is making improvements on the ground, which is a good decision. One example of this is two ended boarding and disembarking. Overall on-time performance seems to be pretty decent already, and this should improve things further, unless they cut scheduled turn-around times down because of this.

N777UA

Wed Aug 25, 1999 6:51 am

United Shuttle and other Southwest-like carriers are for people who can't afford to fly a real airline like the mainline United or Delta, etc.

johnboy

Wed Aug 25, 1999 7:18 am

N777UA wrote:
-------------------------------
United Shuttle and other Southwest-like carriers are for people who can't afford to fly a real airline like the mainline United or Delta, etc.

I would agree with this statement except that sometimes Shuttle flights are all that operate between cities. For example, between San Diego and San Francisco each flight is indicated as "Shuttle." Also, unlike Southwest proper, the United Shuttle has a First Class section.

FLY777UAL

N777UA

Wed Aug 25, 1999 7:32 am

That's pretty ignorant of you think and say that United Shuttle is an airline for those who "can't afford to fly a real airline such as United mainline and Delta", especially since the overwhelming number of passengers who do choose United Shuttle's fairly pricy fares are the --business traveler--, not the "poor people" as you said. For almost EVERY UNITED FLIGHT on the West Coast, United Shuttle is the ONLY SERVICE BETWEEN AIRPORTS...ie: IT IS 'mainline' UNITED!

Get out and start flying around the country...see what really goes on with the airlines.

FLY777UAL

777XI

Thu Aug 26, 1999 7:16 am

life is a journey, travel it well.

alaska737

Avoid The Shuttle But Take United

Thu Aug 26, 1999 2:48 pm

I live in the Bay Area about 70 miles away from Sfo.
I travel to Seattle quite a bit.
I used to take the shuttle from Sfo to Sea and grant you its not bad, but not as good as plain old United.
Now what I do is fly from my local airport on United Express/Skywest to LAX, they just began service to lax in march, and then connect with a regular United flight to Seattle. I much prefer that because you get to fly on a B757-200, or A320, and it onle costs 60 or 70 dollars more. It may be a bit out of the way, but I think it is well worth it.

Charles802

RE: Alaska737

Fri Aug 27, 1999 6:27 am

What's up with your name? It doesn't sound like you like to fly on them?

N777UA

Fri Aug 27, 1999 10:49 am

I am sorry about my remark re UA Shuttle & the others. I didn't realize that United Shuttle was so important btwn cities. I do, however, hate Southwest.