Veigar
Topic Author

Specific question about operating certain aircraft

Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:35 pm

It's pretty straightforward actually, all I want to know is why some airlines/charters/cargo fliers opt for older airplanes. Don't get me wrong, seeing more 727s and DC-9's is never a bad thing, but their decision to do this doesn't really add up to me. There are several operators of the 727 left, a notable one I know of is a 727-200F that visits my airport from time to time offering zero gravity experiences. Kalitta Charters II operates three DC-9's and a whopping EIGHT Boeing 727's! It doesn't end there, though. There are also several airlines and charters operating Boeing 737-200's too. Caspian Airlines not only has a 747-200, they also operate one 747-100 still! Mind boggling, honestly.

Enough rambling though, what I want to know is why airlines like these would opt for older aircraft. It seems like it wouldn't be an intentional move - although, I assume 727's are cheap to acquire nowadays and certain airlines pick them up since they have a cheap buy cost compared to something like a modern 737?

mmo

Re: Specific question about operating certain aircraft

Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:04 pm

It is a trade-off in terms of ownership costs and operating costs. Used aircraft, such as the 727 are very inexpensive to acquire. However, they are fairly expensive to operate in terms of fuel and maintenance. New aircraft are expensive to acquire, but comparatively inexpensive to operate.

Not having flown the 737, I would imagine a 727-200A would burn about double the fuel burn for a 737-8. So, as long as the aircraft does what you need to be done, it really boils down to $$
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

BlueberryWheats

Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:05 am

Also many freighters won't fly as many hours as a passenger aircraft on regular basis.

BWIAirport

Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:05 am

In addition to the fact 40 year old 727s and DC9s are dirt cheap to acquire, cargo carriers don't need to worry about passenger comfort, so cabin refurnishing and inflight product is a non-issue.
SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH | E190 DC9 712 733 737 738 739 752 762 A319 A320 A321 A343

Veigar
Topic Author

Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:15 am

Ah, that makes sense! I always thought the 727 was hindered because of the need for FE position. So I think the reasoning is that they don't fly as often as passenger 727's do, so their maintenance costs are lower. However, it doesn't really explain why the 727 is still used for passenger flights on (at least ONE airline I think? It's in iran). Probably used the 727 because it was really cheap to buy and use, I think.

Siren

Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:39 am

Iran is a special case, related to the fact that until recently they have been under sanction for 30+ years and unable to obtain new or replacement aircraft. The fact Iran is still operating some older airframes is an artifact of that operating environment - they simply could not get any other aircraft to fulfill the missions they needed to fill, and they are replacing the older aircraft as quickly as they can get deliveries from Airbus, but it's still a slow going process for them. It was through a heroic effort that they've been able to maintain and keep these aircraft going, when in virtually any other circumstance they would have been long ago relegated to the scrap heap and retired.
Siren: single white female based @ KLAX. Aviation nerd, political wonk, disability rights activist, German car enthusiast

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos