AVLAirlineFreq
Topic Author

Trump administration proposes selling DCA and IAD

Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:04 pm

This will be really interesting to watch. There's nothing that says they might be privatized, but that could be an option.

Though technically owned by the federal government, both airports are operated by the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority under a long-term lease agreement.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/ ... gan-337595

AAvgeek744

Re: Trump administration proposes selling DCA and IAD

Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:03 pm

I can't imagine Congress letting go of DCA unless there are no significant changes after a sale.

ctrabs0114

Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:25 pm

AAvgeek744 wrote:
I can't imagine Congress letting go of DCA unless there are no significant changes after a sale.

It wouldn't shock me if there was some sort of consideration to amending the perimeter rule at DCA in order to get legislators from those affected states on board with the DCA/IAD privatization scheme.
2018: BWI, PIT, MDW, MCI, STL, DAL, ATL, BNA

cheapgreek

Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:31 pm

Sounds good to me, the government does not need to be in the airport business. A private concern would be free of political interference and could make quick decisions.

STT757

Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:33 pm

IF they were to totally suspend the perimeter rule from DCA, bye bye IAD's viability for anything other than an International flight.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

speedbird52

Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:34 pm

STT757 wrote:
IF they were to totally suspend the perimeter rule from DCA, bye bye IAD's viability for anything other than an International flight.

With that logic LCY should be the main airport in London by now...
"I have control" Three Words That Could Have Saved Lives.

len90

Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:35 pm

STT757 wrote:

With a single major runway and no real area for airfield growth IAD will be just fine with DCA having no perimeter rule.
Len90

kabq737

Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:41 pm

This does not seem like a bad idea. It could really save the feds a little money but my question would be how much? How come the airports are owned by the federal government now? I am kind of surprised they were allowed to have an airport.
320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 763, 764, 772, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, MD88, MD90, E70, E75, E90, TRIM, SEEKER, C172N, C172R, C172S, DA40

Blimpie

Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:46 pm

STT757 wrote:

Wouldn't make a difference. The moment any sort of word of larger jets coming in to DCA, and the entire (wealthy) population of Georgetown will go NIMBY with VERY well paid lawyers and lobbyists fighting that.
Now get the hell off of my lawn your dang kids!

jfklganyc

Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:32 am

Chicago, Houston and London are not NY and DC.

The demand for the close in airport far exceeds that of the larger airport. Like Milan.

If the perimeters went away, a balance would be found over time due to size restrictions of the close in airports.

But the initial phase would hurt JFK, and moreso IAD.

freakyrat

Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:39 am

Would the airspace rules in place since 9/11 be relaxed?

sldispatcher

Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:50 am

Lots of replies will come down on either side of this argument based on the political spectrum one sees things through.
Anytime something is operated with the word "Authority" in the title always gives me pause.

With essentially a single runway operation, overwhelming percent of commercial ops as a whole, and potential for bad weather in the nation's cap'l airport, I don't mind it being run by a private entity with some caveats. I would like to see significant slot restrictions to keep the airport traffic flow more fluid during irrops. Slot sales to raise funds for operations, upkeep, and upgrades. In exchange, open up the perimeter. Let's see just how important some of these routes really are when an airline has to slice one for another.

But again, there will be loud voices on both sides.

BWIAirport

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:01 am

len90 wrote:
STT757 wrote:

With a single major runway and no real area for airfield growth IAD will be just fine with DCA having no perimeter rule.

I suppose if they really wanted to they could expand south, including an extension of 1/19. This would, however require making artificial land, which is insanely expensive. I agree, the perimeter rule is not by any means what limits the size of DCA.
SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN | E190 DC9 712 733 737 738 739 744 752 762 77W A319 A320 A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88

jetero

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:12 am

cheapgreek wrote:
Sounds good to me, the government does not need to be in the airport business. A private concern would be free of political interference and could make quick decisions.

You mean like LHR?

ctrabs0114

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:22 am

Blimpie wrote:
STT757 wrote:

Wouldn't make a difference. The moment any sort of word of larger jets coming in to DCA, and the entire (wealthy) population of Georgetown will go NIMBY with VERY well paid lawyers and lobbyists fighting that.

I don't believe you'd necessarily start seeing 330s or 777/787 widebodies flying into DCA, considering virtually all of the destinations within the US would be reachable with a 737/320 or even a 757. That said, even if you drop the perimeter rule, that doesn't guarantee new flights to, say, PHX or LAX from DCA unless MWAA allows for more slots for AA/DL/AS/WN, etc.
2018: BWI, PIT, MDW, MCI, STL, DAL, ATL, BNA

blockski

Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:13 am

cheapgreek wrote:

The feds haven’t been in the airport business for years, ever since they issued long term leases to MWAA for both IAD and DCA.

czek6

Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:42 am

I have to think the executives at Dulles are popping antacids regarding this news. What a disaster it would be for Dulles if IAD and DCA were to get different owners since the MWAA is using DCA to subsidize Dulles and lower fees.

ual763

Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:18 am

First of all, DCA cannot handle anything larger than a 757-300. There has occasionally been a rare 767-300 here, but it requires special handling and procedures according to the Reagan controllers. The runway is not long enough to utilize a full 767 on trans-continental or trans-Atlantic flights. But mainly, with regards to both gate capacity AND runway capacity, there really isn't that much more that can even operate into DCA in a daily basis. IAD will be just fine.
From flying to the NOTAM office

jetero

Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:26 am

czek6 wrote:
I have to think the executives at Dulles are popping antacids regarding this news. What a disaster it would be for Dulles if IAD and DCA were to get different owners since the MWAA is using DCA to subsidize Dulles and lower fees.

What executives at Dulles?

LupineChemist

Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:15 am

jetero wrote:
cheapgreek wrote:

You mean like LHR?

LHR (Heathrow Airport Holdings, more precisely) is partially owned by a few governments. The governments of Qatar and Québec, that is. But those are minority stakes though and the largest shareholder is the Spanish company Ferrovial.

It's very much a private operation.

jetero

Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:38 am

LupineChemist wrote:
jetero wrote:
cheapgreek wrote:

You mean like LHR?

LHR (Heathrow Airport Holdings, more precisely) is partially owned by a few governments. The governments of Qatar and Québec, that is. But those are minority stakes though and the largest shareholder is the Spanish company Ferrovial.

It's very much a private operation.

And you missed my point.

(The above has been sponsored by government funds starting with the letter Q.)

Blimpie

Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:51 pm

ual763 wrote:
First of all, DCA cannot handle anything larger than a 757-300. There has occasionally been a rare 767-300 here, but it requires special handling and procedures according to the Reagan controllers. The runway is not long enough to utilize a full 767 on trans-continental or trans-Atlantic flights. But mainly, with regards to both gate capacity AND runway capacity, there really isn't that much more that can even operate into DCA in a daily basis. IAD will be just fine.

At first, I was going to say, that we can take 767 at DCA as I do see at least one or two a week flying in, but yes, it does take special handling. With that said, I don't see DCA opening up to TRANSAT flights any time soon, nor do I don't see IAD being at risk of losing more traffic to DCA anytime soon. That's not to say five year from now, some Congressman doesn't propose extending runway 1/19 south further in to the river.
Now get the hell off of my lawn your dang kids!

atcsundevil

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:48 pm

freakyrat wrote:
Would the airspace rules in place since 9/11 be relaxed?

The SFRA and FRZ? Absolutely not. A change in ownership would have no bearing on the airspace of the DC area, and nor should it.

m007j

Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:56 pm

Blimpie wrote:
STT757 wrote:

No one flies over Georgetown anyway, flight paths take it over the Potomac West on both approach and depart. Georgetown itself is right on the border of restricted airspace, something any lawyer is going to struggle to prove harm against. Besides, planes are getting quieter anyway and with the breeze off the river most days, you can't even hear the planes.

blockski

Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:33 pm

Blimpie wrote:
ual763 wrote:

At first, I was going to say, that we can take 767 at DCA as I do see at least one or two a week flying in, but yes, it does take special handling. With that said, I don't see DCA opening up to TRANSAT flights any time soon, nor do I don't see IAD being at risk of losing more traffic to DCA anytime soon. That's not to say five year from now, some Congressman doesn't propose extending runway 1/19 south further in to the river.

One or two 767s a week at DCA? I think the last time one flew in on a regularly scheduled flight was in 2009 prior to Obama's first inauguration.

The largest regularly-scheduled aircraft at DCA are 757-300s.

msp747

Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:12 pm

STT757 wrote:

Yeah... no. Killing off the perimeter rule would just change the service available at DCA. You would have fewer destinations served, with more choices to those destinations. Smaller markets currently served by DCA would probably be axed in favor of additional or new service to the west coast/other cities outside the perimeter. All the major players would probably offer service to LAX and SFO, places like SEA would probably see more competition, and flights to places like SLC would return. But unless the number of slots changes, which would probably take a new runway (where you gonna put that?), the only way DCA could really grow is by replacing regional jets with A320/737s. Even then, there's a limit to that growth. There will always be a need for IAD.

Count me as one of those who thinks this will go over as well as the plan to privatize ATC. Congress will just ignore it and the proposal will die a quiet death. Another half-baked plan of Trump's that ends up on the scrap heap.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos