kitplane01
Topic Author

737MAX and the Collier Trophy

Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:02 am

The 737 MAX has been nominated for the Collier Trophy for "the greatest achievement in aeronautics or astronautics in America.”
It seems odd; I didn't think the 737MAX was such a great technical achievement. Does it have any great technical achievement?

Nominees are
Cirrus Aircraft Vision SF50 single-engine jet;
the autonomous helicopter system developed by the U.S. Marine Corps Office of Naval Research and Aurora Flight Sciences;
the high-altitude glider Perlan Project
the Zee Aero Division of Kitty Hawk Corporation
the Vanilla Aircraft VA001 drone; the Edwards Air Force Base F-35 Integrated Test Force
the NASA/JPL Cassini Project Team
and the TSA, ALPA, and A4A Known Crewmember® and TSA Pre✓® Programs.

I would have put the Cirrus Jet as best, and TSA Pre✓ as worst.

ikolkyo

Re: 737MAX and the Collier Trophy

Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:07 am

Just a nominee, doesn’t mean it will win and it probably won’t.

AvObserver

Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:56 am

Think the NASA/JPL Cassini team may have the best chance of winning the trophy but the Perlan high altitude glider probably has a fair shot, as well. While a lot of effort was put into the 737 MAX improvements, it's hardly as significant as a fair number of other nominees on this list. But you never know until the selection just what will make the cut.

Aesma

Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:50 am

Where is SpaceX's Falcon rocket, especially the flying the pieces back to earth parts ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

VirginFlyer

Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:03 am

kitplane01 wrote:
The 737 MAX has been nominated for the Collier Trophy for "the greatest achievement in aeronautics or astronautics in America.”
It seems odd; I didn't think the 737MAX was such a great technical achievement. Does it have any great technical achievement?

Nominees are
the autonomous helicopter system developed by the U.S. Marine Corps Office of Naval Research and Aurora Flight Sciences;
the Vanilla Aircraft VA001 drone; the Edwards Air Force Base F-35 Integrated Test Force

It is probably worth quoting the full citation of the Collier Trophy:

The Robert J. Collier Trophy is awarded annually "for the greatest achievement in aeronautics or astronautics in America, with respect to improving the performance, efficiency, and safety of air or space vehicles, the value of which has been thoroughly demonstrated by actual use during the preceding year."

Source: https://naa.aero/awards/awards-and-trop ... ier-trophy

By that definition, all the nominees seem reasonable (even the known crew member and precheck programmes, though that really is quite a stretch let's be honest!)

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

Revelation

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:28 pm

ikolkyo wrote:

"Follow the money"...

My fave is the high-altitude glider Perlan Project, but it's not sexy enough to win, IMHO.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has it's beaches, it's homeland and thoughts of it's own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has it's seasons, it's evenings and songs of it's own

frmrCapCadet

Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:15 pm

Revelation wrote:
ikolkyo wrote:

"Follow the money"...

My fave is the high-altitude glider Perlan Project, but it's not sexy enough to win, IMHO.

Started following links. All roads lead to Fossett.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

Acey559

Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:27 pm

VirginFlyer wrote:
kitplane01 wrote:

Nominees are

It is probably worth quoting the full citation of the Collier Trophy:

The Robert J. Collier Trophy is awarded annually "for the greatest achievement in aeronautics or astronautics in America, with respect to improving the performance, efficiency, and safety of air or space vehicles, the value of which has been thoroughly demonstrated by actual use during the preceding year."

Source: https://naa.aero/awards/awards-and-trop ... ier-trophy

By that definition, all the nominees seem reasonable (even the known crew member and precheck programmes, though that really is quite a stretch let's be honest!)

V/F

I personally love Known Crewmember (at least at most airports. SEA and PDX KCM are awful, in my experience) and think it is a great thing, but it only benefits a small number of people so I don’t think it should have a chance of winning. And PreCheck has become a joke so hopefully not!
In Dixie Land I'll take my stand to live and die in Dixie.

kitplane01
Topic Author

Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:22 pm

Aesma wrote:
Where is SpaceX's Falcon rocket, especially the flying the pieces back to earth parts ?

The Falcon heavy should be nominated (and WIN) for 2018. This is the 2017 prize.

The Falcon Heavy is the coolest rocket currently in existence. SpaceX is just the most technologically successful company in aerospace.

Antarius

Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:55 pm

kitplane01 wrote:

This just tells me exactly how many grains of salt we need to take this award with. (Hint: a LOT).

The TSA is the most incompetent organization I have ever seen. How on earth are they up for anything remotely resembling an award?
2018: AUA CLT IAH HOU DFW COS DEN CLL ORD PEK PVG PHX SFO SJC OAK PHL YYC STL DTW HNL OGG JFK LGA EWR GIG GRU IGU CWB SDU MDW BOS IAD DCA PBI FLL MIA

Erebus

Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:12 pm

AvObserver wrote:
While a lot of effort was put into the 737 MAX improvements, it's hardly as significant as a fair number of other nominees on this list.

Agreed. I thought the 787 ought to have made it into the list ahead of the 737 MAX. Or has it already done so before?

Bricktop

Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:18 pm

Acey559 wrote:
I personally love Known Crewmember (at least at most airports. SEA and PDX KCM are awful, in my experience) and think it is a great thing, but it only benefits a small number of people so I don’t think it should have a chance of winning. And PreCheck has become a joke so hopefully not!

PreCheck has lost a lot of its value but Global Entry rocks.

VirginFlyer

Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:46 pm

Erebus wrote:
AvObserver wrote:
While a lot of effort was put into the 737 MAX improvements, it's hardly as significant as a fair number of other nominees on this list.

Agreed. I thought the 787 ought to have made it into the list ahead of the 737 MAX. Or has it already done so before?

Boeing won the Collier Trophy for the 787 in 2011 (as well as for the 777 in 1995, the 757 and 767 in 1982, the 747 in 1970, and the B-52 in 1955). The link I have upthread has links to lists of winners for each decade; well worth areas for everyone to give a bit of context.

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

Acey559

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:18 pm

[threeid][/threeid]
Bricktop wrote:
Acey559 wrote:

PreCheck has lost a lot of its value but Global Entry rocks.

Agreed! I just did Global Entry about a year ago and don’t know how I lived without it. :)
In Dixie Land I'll take my stand to live and die in Dixie.

kitplane01
Topic Author

Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:24 am

Erebus wrote:
AvObserver wrote:

The 787 is not a 2017 achievement.

SamTheGeek

Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:10 am

kitplane01 wrote:
Aesma wrote:

The Falcon heavy should be nominated (and WIN) for 2018. This is the 2017 prize.

The Falcon Heavy is the coolest rocket currently in existence. SpaceX is just the most technologically successful company in aerospace.

Strong agree on the Falcon Heavy — especially if they manage to land a center core before EOY '18. Falcon booster landing dates back to 2015, so their achievements in 2017 aren't eligible.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos