wjcandee

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:09 am

oldannyboy wrote:
scbriml wrote:
So, DL suspends the employee, but the customer is wrong and "deserved it"? :rotfl:

Airliners.net defends the indefensible again. Am I surprised? :shakehead:

Suspending the employee doesn't tell us much. Apart from the fact that DL want to save their face at all costs.

I have a feeling the passenger was being rude, aggressive; plus I really don't agree with this new trend of using your mobile camera as a threatening weapon... Yes, I think he totally deserved it. I come from a customer service background and people can be aggressive, irrational, unfriendly, demanding, difficult, crazy....all of this in the space of a one minute conversation. The employee (no spring chicken there..) has probably just had enough of such individuals.

Watch all the video segments. The customer was persistent but calm. He had been ping-ponged back and forth to Hawaiian. He should have been helped, not threatened with jail. Yes, customers can be rude, but this guy was merely politely persistent.

rbavfan

Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:18 am

SpinOn2 wrote:
sndral wrote:
Actually per the news reports the Dr. (PhD traveling to a conference in Portland) apparently was booked on one Delta flight which was delayed. Then on a second which was also delayed. Finally Delta booked him on the Hawaiian flight.
If you watch all 3 videos it’s pretty clear that the irate Delta employee had previously told the customer to go to Hawaiian and the customer followed his directions and then returned to the counter - the customer said in one of the videos “You gave me wrong information. I went there and I came back.”
Can’t side w/ the baggage guy on this one. Customer’s had 2 delayed flights thanks to Delta. He tries to claim his bag once he finally arrives and Delta tells him to go see Hawaiian, who send him back to Delta. If the bag wasn’t there yet, then someone didn’t have the common courtesy to bother telling the customer that fact. Are the Delta and Hawaiian baggage employees incapable of picking up a telephone and speaking to each other, rather than telling the customer to hike back over to Hawaiian? What I heard was a very impatient, condescending and ultimately inexcusably rude employee trying to pass the buck.

Wrong, the employee said "You came in on Hawaiian they need to take your file" which is him referring to take your bag claim. The claim has to be done by Hawaiian bc that is his last carrier. It does not matter who it was on originally. I've had to take claims for passengers who flew Dragon Air, then Cathay, then my airline, bag shows it never left HKG on Cathay, but guess what, they flew last on me so I am responsible for the claim and I'd take it.

It is very clear they already helped the guy, it is very clear he refuses to listen to what they are saying and keep insisting that his bag tag says DL, It does not matter!

I would also like to add, why does this warrant shoving a camera in someone's face? This is called attention grab/lawsuit from this passenger who will surely cry racism for no reason and get paid a ton of money by DL to go away.

He should have said HA would take his bag claim. Saying "they will take your file" means absolutely nothing to the average passenger. He does not know what "file" means as he is not an airline employee. So I guess if the man was an asshole, then the employee was a jackass!

bennett123

Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:30 am

Clearly the discussion started before the taping did. But unless he went from being abusive to merely persistent when he started recording, there is no indication of the passenger being abusive.

If the passenger had no recorded this, then it would simply be his word against theirs.

Why did they not call a Supervisor as requested. Even if not requested, the guy at the desk should have escalated the issue if he was losing it.

Threatening to call the Police to deal with a customer who was not, (at that point) being abusive is also out of order.

Did not see him check the baggage tag. He could also have called HA.

If it really came to it, he could say ‘Please take a seat, I will come down to HA with you and try to get this sorted’.

KLDC10

Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:54 am

1. The employee clearly should have exhibited more self-control. Regardless of the situation, it's what they are (I hope) trained to do.

2. That said, I hate the idea of having a mobile phone shoved in my face during any kind of discussion. I'm sure that in many European countries, where one owns the right to one's own image (Germany comes to mind here), that sort of thing would quite rightly be illegal. But in the US, anyone with a smartphone is happy enough to pull it out in the hope of catching someone out. That's a poor mentality to have.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/744/748/752/763/772/789/A320/A321/A332/A333/A346/E170/E175/E190

rlwynn

Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:57 am

Idiot should be fired.
I can drive faster than you

oldannyboy

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:07 am

SpinOn2 wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
SpinOn2 wrote:
I worked in the Baggage Service Office long enough to easily know the kind of abuse they were taking. It's far far far more likely the passenger was verbally abusive, rude, etc etc, and didn't want to listen to reason than it is that these two baggage office people just decided they wanted to jump down his throat and swear at him.

I've done my time in BSO, aka "Lost and Lost," and while I think the whole "the customer is always right" is incorrect, the customer is always the customer, and no matter how vulgar and ugly someone gets, the hallmark of a professional is to never stoop to their level.

Sadly, that's what this agent did, and he's paying the price for it. And rightfully so; he had no business using profanity with the customer like that.

I think sympathizing would be the better term. I fully sympathize with the BSO agents. I fully sympathize with any agent who gets to the point of vulgar words because it's very likely they were pushed to that point. I agree it's still their job to be better than that, but mistakes happen. I definitely feel it should be against company policy to film an employee. Nothing good ever is going to come out of sticking a camera in someone's face

I SO SO SO agree with you on this. This camera craze has to stop. There will come the time when someone, somewhere, responds to that camera with a gun....

bgm

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:21 am

oldannyboy wrote:
SpinOn2 wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

I've done my time in BSO, aka "Lost and Lost," and while I think the whole "the customer is always right" is incorrect, the customer is always the customer, and no matter how vulgar and ugly someone gets, the hallmark of a professional is to never stoop to their level.

Sadly, that's what this agent did, and he's paying the price for it. And rightfully so; he had no business using profanity with the customer like that.

I think sympathizing would be the better term. I fully sympathize with the BSO agents. I fully sympathize with any agent who gets to the point of vulgar words because it's very likely they were pushed to that point. I agree it's still their job to be better than that, but mistakes happen. I definitely feel it should be against company policy to film an employee. Nothing good ever is going to come out of sticking a camera in someone's face

I SO SO SO agree with you on this. This camera craze has to stop. There will come the time when someone, somewhere, responds to that camera with a gun....

The camera footage was evidence. Without that, this employee wouldn't have been caught out. It would've just been his word against the pax. Same with the guy getting dragged off the UA plane.
When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

bgm

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:26 am

KLDC10 wrote:
1. The employee clearly should have exhibited more self-control. Regardless of the situation, it's what they are (I hope) trained to do.

:checkmark:

KLDC10 wrote:
2. That said, I hate the idea of having a mobile phone shoved in my face during any kind of discussion. I'm sure that in many European countries, where one owns the right to one's own image (Germany comes to mind here), that sort of thing would quite rightly be illegal. But in the US, anyone with a smartphone is happy enough to pull it out in the hope of catching someone out. That's a poor mentality to have.

If he didn't have video evidence, how would he have been able to prove that he was treated so badly? It would've just been he said/he said and nothing would've been done. At least now Delta knows that this is a bad apple and can take the necessary action.

If they don't want to be filmed, they shouldn't be working in a public setting.
When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

KLDC10

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:54 am

bgm wrote:
If he didn't have video evidence, how would he have been able to prove that he was treated so badly? It would've just been he said/he said and nothing would've been done. At least now Delta knows that this is a bad apple and can take the necessary action.

That's a fair point - there'd be no evidence. I'm simply of the opinion that the introduction of a cell-phone to the situation puts both parties on edge and makes a more serious confrontation more likely.

On the second point, I could be slightly wrong, but following on from my earlier example, I believe that in Germany there is still an expectation of privacy in a public setting and that you could end up being prosecuted if the subject of the photograph takes it particularly badly. In Greece, doing so requires consent.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/744/748/752/763/772/789/A320/A321/A332/A333/A346/E170/E175/E190

flydude380

Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:41 am

Well, well, if it isn’t for these type of passengers again, provoking employees by recording! He got the reaction he wanted, but, I’m glad someone told him straight to his face what he is!

mjoelnir

Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:14 pm

[code][/code]
flydude380 wrote:
Well, well, if it isn’t for these type of passengers again, provoking employees by recording! He got the reaction he wanted, but, I’m glad someone told him straight to his face what he is!

I rather assume he wanted service, something those two airline staff were not prepared to provide.

airbazar

Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:58 pm

ual763 wrote:
I'm agreeing with you. Like I said, "I wouldn't doubt it", meaning I think the passenger probably deserved it, but yet we don't know that because we don't know the whole story. But, that doesn't mean the employee can just go spouting off profanities.

It doesn't matter what the cause is. What the customer did or did not do is completely irrelevant. If you have a job in a customer facing position you're supposed to remain professional at all times and under every circumstance. THAT is the job description and anything less should be reason enough for disciplinary action or firing.
Last edited by airbazar on Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

m007j

Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:59 pm

santi319 wrote:
Whoever posted this in this website expecting someone to have sympathy for the employee should know by now most of airliners crowd simply can't stand airline employees that dont want to take abuse or act like slaves.... wrong crowd!!

Or maybe some of us also work in customer service and we know we don't get second chances to pull stuff like this. I cannot understand people who are pleading for leniency and to not judge this guy based on one thing he said. If I did this at work, I'd be fired ON THE SPOT and I can have no complaints because it's literally my job to keep cool. If you're getting paid to do this, the company has every right to continue to protect its image and knock you off for not doing your job.

9w748capt

Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:32 pm

flydude380 wrote:

What the hell did the passenger do? Are you kidding me?

33lspotter

Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:36 pm

scbriml wrote:
So, DL suspends the employee, but the customer is wrong and "deserved it"? :rotfl:

Agreed. I think he probably deserved some form of retribution, but I think profanity shows a lack of professionalism and a loss of control.

red66mustang

Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:40 pm

As is typically the case with these "PAX being treated poorly" videos, the video starts halfway to near the end of the incident and we don't know the whole story.

Most likely this PAX was acting like an A-hole and not getting his way, pushing the agents to where they were getting testy, sensing opportunity he starting filming and luckily for him (unfortunately for the agents) he got the money shot he was hoping for.

flydude380

Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:51 pm

m007j wrote:
santi319 wrote:
Whoever posted this in this website expecting someone to have sympathy for the employee should know by now most of airliners crowd simply can't stand airline employees that dont want to take abuse or act like slaves.... wrong crowd!!

Or maybe some of us also work in customer service and we know we don't get second chances to pull stuff like this. I cannot understand people who are pleading for leniency and to not judge this guy based on one thing he said. If I did this at work, I'd be fired ON THE SPOT and I can have no complaints because it's literally my job to keep cool. If you're getting paid to do this, the company has every right to continue to protect its image and knock you off for not doing your job.

There’s a big difference in working in customer service in the airline industry, compared to the retail industry. The latter doesn’t seem to have the guts to stand up for themselves, compared to the airline industry. I’ve worked in both simultaneously and it would make me cringe how those in the retail would let people walk all over them and take any sort of attitude or abuse! This isn’t tolerated in the airline industry - especially, in the US (well done to those who work in the industry in the US) thankfully.

flydude380

Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:01 pm

red66mustang wrote:
As is typically the case with these "PAX being treated poorly" videos, the video starts halfway to near the end of the incident and we don't know the whole story.

Most likely this PAX was acting like an A-hole and not getting his way, pushing the agents to where they were getting testy, sensing opportunity he starting filming and luckily for him (unfortunately for the agents) he got the money shot he was hoping for.

I agree. I’ve only seen one or two videos where at a point the passenger was being in their right mind to film. The rest, I’ve not! And working in this industry, I continuously see it myself where SOME passengers are self-entitled!

Let’s see... man gets thrown off Delta flight as he thinks although his son isn’t traveling, he doesn’t understand he can’t just use the seat for his younger son. Or, how about when the Delta employee was filmed because the flight was full and he couldn’t sit next to the rest of his party. There are so many more!

A few days back, I had a passenger who thought his One World Ruby status gave him the right to use the business class line, when I told him he had to stand in the economy line. Then, he demanded at the gate that he wanted two spare seats to himself and that he wanted an aisle seat in the centre of the aircraft. I gave him an aisle seat, but there weren’t any available in the centre and boy, you should’ve seen his reaction. Hilarious! If my flight wasn’t already on a borderline delay, I would’ve had him offloaded!

SpinOn2

Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:36 pm

speedbird52 wrote:
SpinOn2 wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Of course DL suspends the worker, no matter what these airlines would rather throw their worker under the bus rather than actually stick up for employees taking abuse and harassment. Can't risk that money and the public eye.

Just like UA with the Dr. Dao flt, the UA workers did nothing wrong and followed UA policy and expectations they were taught, but of course UA then wants to throw them under the bus after the fact.

Nearly killing someone for refusing to move off a seat when it was his legal right to stay is hardly "nothing right" in my opinion. Those employees deserved a lengthy jail sentence if you ask me. Sadistic brutes who only took the job to get some sort of twisted pleasure out of causing bodily harm to others.

Ummm I am talking about the UA agents, it was the police who took the guy off the plane, The UA agents did not do anything illegal at all.

TVNWZ

Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:42 pm

flydude380 wrote:
I continuously see it myself where SOME passengers are self-entitled!

Glad to know that attempting to get my bag back is self-entitlement.

flydude380

Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:54 pm

TVNWZ wrote:
flydude380 wrote:

I didn’t say it was... we’re all just having a discussion here regarding at times when an airline employee or passenger is in the right.

RDUDDJI

Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:01 pm

Eons ago when I was in CS training at JI, I had a great instructor who suggested a way to handle impossible customers: When you get to the end of your rope and you've done everything you can to satisfy the customer, provide them with our corporate CS support and then just tell them: "I'm sorry, I can no longer help you". If the customer persists or threatens, contact your supv, and/or security.

I only had to use this a few times. Agents (especially in BSO) do see a lot of abuse, but that does not excuse the behavior in the aboce video. DL def needs to discipline this employee, but I'll leave it to them what is warranted (based on past behavior, etc.).

I'll be the first to admit, I'd never do that job or any front line CS job today in the World of cameraphones. I'd be pretty upset if someone stuck a camera in my face without permission too. I'm not sure there's any legal recourse (no expectation of privacy at an airport), but it is tasteless. I would nicely tell them that I will continue the conversation when they turn the camera off.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

m007j

Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:21 pm

flydude380 wrote:
m007j wrote:
santi319 wrote:

There’s a big difference in working in customer service in the airline industry, compared to the retail industry. The latter doesn’t seem to have the guts to stand up for themselves, compared to the airline industry. I’ve worked in both simultaneously and it would make me cringe how those in the retail would let people walk all over them and take any sort of attitude or abuse! This isn’t tolerated in the airline industry - especially, in the US (well done to those who work in the industry in the US) thankfully.

I don't work in retail, I work for a museum, one of the world's most popular. I train our public-facing employees as well as spending time on the floor myself. I also worked for a major US asset manager in their call center. Either way, people were coming to me with a need or a problem and it was my job to satisfy their expectations and solve their problems. There is definitely ways to tell people to buzz off without cursing at them like this guy. There's a reason neither of the places I've worked for has had any major public service issues, and that is because we have people who place an emphasis on solving the problem. It's getting really tiring to hear airline employees hiding behind the whole "oh my job is different from everyone else's", because it's really not. At the heart of the issue, solve the problem if you can, and if you can't, let them know clearly why. I'm not asking you to take a bunch of abuse, just don't rise to their level! Easier said than done of course, but the rest of us don't seem to have a problem with it.

jeffrey1970

Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:38 pm

I have been a frustrated customer before. However, I have worked in customer service so I can understand why the employee got upset.
God bless through Jesus, Jeff

mcdu

Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:39 pm

flydude380 wrote:
TVNWZ wrote:
flydude380 wrote:

I didn’t say it was... we’re all just having a discussion here regarding at times when an airline employee or passenger is in the right.

There is no way ever that this employee was in the right. He is needs to de-escalate the situation not throw gas on the fire with his profanity and the “get the cops down here” comments.

If the passenger wasn’t cooperating and was the issue get the supervisor involved. If the passenger is threatening then call the police and maintain your composure.

This is a PR nightmare for DL......

Also shouldn’t this thread be in technical/operations since that is where all the WN meltdown threads get buried?

mjoelnir

Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:57 pm

flydude380 wrote:
red66mustang wrote:

I agree. I’ve only seen one or two videos where at a point the passenger was being in their right mind to film. The rest, I’ve not! And working in this industry, I continuously see it myself where SOME passengers are self-entitled!

Let’s see... man gets thrown off Delta flight as he thinks although his son isn’t traveling, he doesn’t understand he can’t just use the seat for his younger son. Or, how about when the Delta employee was filmed because the flight was full and he couldn’t sit next to the rest of his party. There are so many more!

A few days back, I had a passenger who thought his One World Ruby status gave him the right to use the business class line, when I told him he had to stand in the economy line. Then, he demanded at the gate that he wanted two spare seats to himself and that he wanted an aisle seat in the centre of the aircraft. I gave him an aisle seat, but there weren’t any available in the centre and boy, you should’ve seen his reaction. Hilarious! If my flight wasn’t already on a borderline delay, I would’ve had him offloaded!

Most likely the employee was behaving like an asshole.

He did send the passenger over to Hawaiian. The passenger was send back to him from Hawaiian.
There is a passenger that has had delays at his airline and instead of providing service he sends him on a walkabout., he gets him back and want to send him on walkabout again?
Than, if the passenger does not accept to just walk over to Hawaiian again, he insults him and instead of calling the supervisor the passenger asked about.
As the passenger keeps insisting that he does his work and provides service, he calls the police.

Those staffers, both of them, do not know what service is about.

What your silly story about on passenger has to do with this case escapes my comprehension.

flydude380

Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:03 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
flydude380 wrote:
red66mustang wrote:

Most likely the employee was behaving like an asshole.

He did send the passenger over to Hawaiian. The passenger was send back to him from Hawaiian.
There is a passenger that has had delays at his airline and instead of providing service he sends him on a walkabout., he gets him back and want to send him on walkabout again?
Than, if the passenger does not accept to just walk over to Hawaiian again, he insults him and instead of calling the supervisor the passenger asked about.
As the passenger keeps insisting that he does his work and provides service, he calls the police.

Those staffers, both of them, do not know what service is about.

What your silly story about on passenger has to do with this case escapes my comprehension.

You cannot comprehend it, because this thread has turned into airline employees vs pax and therefore I was adding my two pennies when it comes to pax not always being in the right. Moving on...

PlanesNTrains

Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:03 pm

mcdu wrote:
flydude380 wrote:
TVNWZ wrote:

There is no way ever that this employee was in the right. He is needs to de-escalate the situation not throw gas on the fire with his profanity and the “get the cops down here” comments.

If the passenger wasn’t cooperating and was the issue get the supervisor involved. If the passenger is threatening then call the police and maintain your composure.

This is a PR nightmare for DL......

Also shouldn’t this thread be in technical/operations since that is where all the WN meltdown threads get buried?

I PR nightmare? Swearing? I would think if they knocked him out and dragged him out of their office that THAT would have been a PR nightmare.

Oh, wait.....
-Dave

”Yet somewhere in Iceland a great anger stirred in the soul of a troubled individual...” - Revelation

dc10co

Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:05 pm

I don’t think anyone on here has argued the fact that the employee was not in the wrong. Yes he made a mistake and should not have said what he said. But there is no video evidence of the initial interaction that the customer had with these agents and there is no video of the interaction the customer had at Hawaiian’s BSO, that’s assuming he even went to Hawaiian at all. You can only explain the same thing to someone so many times before it really does get frustrating because they refuse to listen.

And for those who say that he should’ve just helped the customer and taken the claim, then DL is taking a DOT hit for something that they are not responsible for and the employee is opening themselves up to discipline for not following policy. These days airlines are closely tracking their MBR and will have no problems punishing agents who needlessly impact the MBR. In the airline world, it’s not as easy as “just doing it” because by just doing it you can be in violation of federal law and I 100% guarantee you no agent is going to open themselves up to getting disciplined because a customer decided that they were so special that the rules don’t apply to them. That’s not to say that the agent couldn’t have handled the situation better than he did, but they were correct in that Hawaiian would be responsible for taking the claim. If Mr. PhD would’ve put his phone down and LISTENED to the people who handle these situations on a daily basis we wouldn’t be here. The problem is that in this day and age nobody trusts or respects experience because they think they already know everything.
Listen Betty, don't start up with your white zone shit again.

PlanesNTrains

Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:28 pm

bgm wrote:
KLDC10 wrote:

:checkmark:

KLDC10 wrote:

Without disagreeing directly, I’ll just respond with two comments:

1. Having a camera put in your face changes the dynamic completely. Whether that turned these employees into vulgar dunces or just captured them being themselves is beyond me, though I’d guess the latter. I had a camera put in my face recently by a jerk and it physically changed how I felt and responded. It wasn’t anything like this at all - we mostly just stood there wondering what the heck was wrong with this guy - but it puts a whole ‘nother spin on things.

2. I don’t want to live in a world where your every movement is recorded for accountability. Sometimes, you let the chips fall where they may and vote with your wallet. Don’t like how you were treated? Write a letter explaining why you’re taking your business elsewhere - then take it elsewhere. Do a nasty review. Tell all your friends. Just keep your cellphone out of my face because all it does tells me is that you aren’t interested in a positive outcone, you’re interested in a gotcha outcome.

I am not supporting the actions of these employees at all. I just think cellphones can change the outcome negatively as well as positively.
-Dave

”Yet somewhere in Iceland a great anger stirred in the soul of a troubled individual...” - Revelation

Revelation

Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:30 pm

bennett123 wrote:
Clearly the discussion started before the taping did. But unless he went from being abusive to merely persistent when he started recording, there is no indication of the passenger being abusive.

If the passenger had not recorded this, then it would simply be his word against theirs.

Why did they not call a Supervisor as requested. Even if not requested, the guy at the desk should have escalated the issue if he was losing it.

Threatening to call the Police to deal with a customer who was not, (at that point) being abusive is also out of order.

If it really came to it, he could say ‘Please take a seat, I will come down to HA with you and try to get this sorted’.

Agree.

I foresee a world where everyone will have a wearable camera recording all the time, just like cops wear cameras now, and Russians have dash cameras.

Facts are stubborn things. If you don't want to be caught in a falsehood, don't lie.

I can only imagine what the agent was going to tell the cops about the customer after calling him an asshole.

oldannyboy wrote:

I call BS. This incident happened in the US, and we had someone use a gun to mow down an elementary school full of kids and teachers, and it stopped nothing. The camera craze will not stop in an era where people look at hard data and ignore it in favor of their own pre-judged opinion.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has it's beaches, it's homeland and thoughts of it's own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has it's seasons, it's evenings and songs of it's own

bennett123

Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:34 pm

Suppose he went to HA, who sent him back to DL (as he says).

Is he supposed to go back and forth between HA and DL all day.

Sooner787

Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:35 pm

AR385 wrote:
Any person working front line in the service industry cannot give him/her self the luxury of loosing it to the point displayed here. Anybody who does either needs a loooong vacation or to change industries. He was lucky he wasnt fired.

As a corporate travel agent for 20 plus years, I feel for those tireless airline agents who deal
with crazy passengers face to face on a daily basis.

If we have a crazy client on the phone, we have the luxury of putting people on hold
if we feel the need to vent...... front line airlines folks don't have that luxury.

continental004

Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:40 pm

The customer probably deserved it. Props to the Delta crew member for having a backbone. American consumers are such snowflakes.

mjoelnir

Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:45 pm

dc10co wrote:
I don’t think anyone on here has argued the fact that the employee was not in the wrong. Yes he made a mistake and should not have said what he said. But there is no video evidence of the initial interaction that the customer had with these agents and there is no video of the interaction the customer had at Hawaiian’s BSO, that’s assuming he even went to Hawaiian at all. You can only explain the same thing to someone so many times before it really does get frustrating because they refuse to listen.

And for those who say that he should’ve just helped the customer and taken the claim, then DL is taking a DOT hit for something that they are not responsible for and the employee is opening themselves up to discipline for not following policy. These days airlines are closely tracking their MBR and will have no problems punishing agents who needlessly impact the MBR. In the airline world, it’s not as easy as “just doing it” because by just doing it you can be in violation of federal law and I 100% guarantee you no agent is going to open themselves up to getting disciplined because a customer decided that they were so special that the rules don’t apply to them. That’s not to say that the agent couldn’t have handled the situation better than he did, but they were correct in that Hawaiian would be responsible for taking the claim. If Mr. PhD would’ve put his phone down and LISTENED to the people who handle these situations on a daily basis we wouldn’t be here. The problem is that in this day and age nobody trusts or respects experience because they think they already know everything.

So to cut through this rubbish.

What federal law would the staffer break with helping the passenger?
In what way was the passenger not a customer of Delta?
Regarding the DOT, why should Hawaiian take the fall for helping out Delta when all the problems started at Delta?
What is the problem with taking up the phone and calling the desk of Hawaiian to clear up this problem?

I hope you never ever come near a service function with your attitude to providing a service to a customer.

PlanesNTrains

Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:47 pm

m007j wrote:
flydude380 wrote:
m007j wrote:

I don't work in retail, I work for a museum, one of the world's most popular. I train our public-facing employees as well as spending time on the floor myself. I also worked for a major US asset manager in their call center. Either way, people were coming to me with a need or a problem and it was my job to satisfy their expectations and solve their problems. There is definitely ways to tell people to buzz off without cursing at them like this guy. There's a reason neither of the places I've worked for has had any major public service issues, and that is because we have people who place an emphasis on solving the problem. It's getting really tiring to hear airline employees hiding behind the whole "oh my job is different from everyone else's", because it's really not. At the heart of the issue, solve the problem if you can, and if you can't, let them know clearly why. I'm not asking you to take a bunch of abuse, just don't rise to their level! Easier said than done of course, but the rest of us don't seem to have a problem with it.

The missing piece in the DL story is that we don’t know what conflicting expectations are put on them? I’ve seen numerous times where people are only held accountable by supervisors once they are caught or called out for doing something they aren’t supposed to. Usually it’s because fudging metrics or getting done faster makes the supervisor or the employer look good. Maybe it’s that they reduce their lost bag stats or labor costs or something else? I’m guessing where you worked thatveveryone was on the same page versus spread out across many dozens of locations with poor accountability, corporate expectations that often conflict, and probably poor leadership due to the industry, mergers, layoffs, lost pensions, etc. I think the airline industry probably is unique in the challenges face by its workforce as well as its passengers.

While the employee is absolutely accountable for their actions, I really wonder what DL has expected or allowed of them along the way to get to this point?
-Dave

IPFreely

Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:49 pm

dc10co wrote:
And for those who say that he should’ve just helped the customer and taken the claim, then DL is taking a DOT hit for something that they are not responsible for

I know Delta is obsessed with their phony statistics but who cares? The customer bought a ticket from Delta to transport himself and his baggage to Portland. Delta took his money, they took his baggage, then cancelled they his flight and sent him to Portland on another airline. When he gets there his bags are nowhere to be found. At that point an employee who cares about customer service would identify where his baggage is in the computer system and either retrieve it or walk him to the HA baggage office to help him retrieve it. It’s not like the two agents in the video were swamped with other customers or doing anything of any value at the time.

dc10co

Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:51 pm

bennett123 wrote:

If HA sent the pax back to DL then that’s poor service on HA’s part. Any agent who’s worked more than a day in baggage service knows that the final transporting carrier is responsible for taking a claim.

Let’s say this customer was ticketed to fly PDX-HNL-ITO with the PDX-HNL operated by DL and HNL-ITO operated by HA. Customer checks in on DL and has a DL tag number, but his final transporting carrier is HA. He arrives in ITO and there’s no bag. Using the logic the customer uses in the video, he checked in with Delta and has a DL tag so DL should be the one to take the claim right? But the problem is DL doesn’t fly to ITO so how the hell are they supposed to take a claim or deliver the bag? That’s the reason the last transporting carrier rule is in place. The only difference was that the customer flew into a city that DL happens to serve and acted like he knew everything there is to know about everything. The only thing DL could have done for him in that situation was offer a better explanation and to trace the bag in their system but in no way was DL responsible for taking his claim.

PlanesNTrains

Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:51 pm

dc10co wrote:
bennett123 wrote:

If HA sent the pax back to DL then that’s poor service on HA’s part. Any agent who’s worked more than a day in baggage service knows that the final transporting carrier is responsible for taking a claim.

Let’s say this customer was ticketed to fly PDX-HNL-ITO with the PDX-HNL operated by DL and HNL-ITO operated by HA. Customer checks in on DL and has a DL tag number, but his final transporting carrier is HA. He arrives in ITO and there’s no bag. Using the logic the customer uses in the video, he checked in with Delta and has a DL tag so DL should be the one to take the claim right? But the problem is DL doesn’t fly to ITO so how the hell are they supposed to take a claim or deliver the bag? That’s the reason the last transporting carrier rule is in place. The only difference was that the customer flew into a city that DL happens to serve and acted like he knew everything there is to know about everything. The only thing DL could have done for him in that situation was offer a better explanation and to trace the bag in their system but in no way was DL responsible for taking his claim.

I’m sure that’s all true, but if I were the customer I’d probably think DL was just trying to pass the buck, especially after everything I’d gone through just to get there. If the DL employee was cold or mechanical and the HA employee seemed genuine and knowledgeable, I’d probably feel that way even more so.
-Dave

KLDC10

Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:56 pm

Revelation wrote:

Agree.

I foresee a world where everyone will have a wearable camera recording all the time, just like cops wear cameras now, and Russians have dash cameras.

Facts are stubborn things. If you don't want to be caught in a falsehood, don't lie.

I can only imagine what the agent was going to tell the cops about the customer after calling him an asshole.[/quote]

And what a truly sad world that would be. Nothing short of a damning indictment of modern society. But as I wrote about, that sort of thing just won't fly in many countries outside the US.

m007j

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:31 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
m007j wrote:
flydude380 wrote:

The missing piece in the DL story is that we don’t know what conflicting expectations are put on them? I’ve seen numerous times where people are only held accountable by supervisors once they are caught or called out for doing something they aren’t supposed to. Usually it’s because fudging metrics or getting done faster makes the supervisor or the employer look good. Maybe it’s that they reduce their lost bag stats or labor costs or something else? I’m guessing where you worked thatveveryone was on the same page versus spread out across many dozens of locations with poor accountability, corporate expectations that often conflict, and probably poor leadership due to the industry, mergers, layoffs, lost pensions, etc. I think the airline industry probably is unique in the challenges face by its workforce as well as its passengers.

While the employee is absolutely accountable for their actions, I really wonder what DL has expected or allowed of them along the way to get to this point?

That's a completely fair argument, and I would also question what, if any methods the airline itself is using to train its line employees. Definitely sounds like DL, and indeed all the airlines, need standardized training, or at least just MORE training in general for their folks.

m007j

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:32 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
m007j wrote:
flydude380 wrote:

That's a completely fair argument, and I would also question what, if any methods the airline itself is using to train its line employees. Definitely sounds like DL, and indeed all the airlines, need standardized training, or at least just MORE training in general for their folks.

m007j

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:32 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
m007j wrote:
flydude380 wrote:

neomax

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:35 pm

I have no idea if this was the pax plan, but if it was, it worked. They deserved nothing from DL if he was with HA, but DL hands him a free voucher anyway for nothing. Deviously clever.

dc10co

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:43 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
dc10co wrote:

So to cut through this rubbish.

What federal law would the staffer break with helping the passenger?
In what way was the passenger not a customer of Delta?
Regarding the DOT, why should Hawaiian take the fall for helping out Delta when all the problems started at Delta?
What is the problem with taking up the phone and calling the desk of Hawaiian to clear up this problem?

I hope you never ever come near a service function with your attitude to providing a service to a customer.

14 CFR Part 234 dictates airline baggage reporting requirements, that would be the federal law being broken.

The gentleman was no longer a customer of Delta when Delta endorsed the ticket the customer had with them to Hawaiian. At that point he became a customer of Hawaiian Airlines.

Hawaiian should take the “fall” because when they accepted his INVOL coupon for transport and the money for said coupon, they also accept responsibility for the passenger and for their baggage. It’s the law that all airlines are bound to comply with. Hawaiian didn’t accept this customer out of the goodness of their heart, they will be paid by DL to transport him. And if the tables were turned DL would have been liable for the bag if the customer was INVOL’d to them by HA. It’s the cost of maintaining interline agreements.

There was nothing stopping the agent from calling HA to help sort out the mess. As I’ve stated MULTIPLE times I think that the agents could have handled the situation better. But as I’ve also stated there is absolutely no evidence as to what happened prior to the customer pressing record.

I’m actually proud to deliver great customer service to my passengers every day. I hope it makes you feel good about yourself to pass judgement to a total stranger on the Internet. For the record, the definition of customer service isn’t kissing every customers ass just because they think they’re right & because they paid $200 they can act any way they please. So I’ll continue to provide customers with the service that I’ve received multiple recognitions from my employer for, and you can blow your judgement out of your hind end. :wave:

klm617

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:48 pm

This really doesn't surprise me at all because the encounters I have had with Delta CSAs is that attitude is part of their training. More often than not employees act this way towards customers when their work load is larger than they can handle so they last out at the customer because mangers usually just give employees marching orders. Delta employees need to understand that if their job is more than they can handle they need to rake that up with their company and not lash out at the customer. I am sure if this guy wasn't doing the job of maybe three people in this day and age rather than what he was used to when he started in the industry he would have been more than happy to resolve the guy's issue without anger. Everything now is cut to the bare minimum and what used to be two and three jobs is now one with the employee having little or no say in the matter other than to fall in line or we will get someone else to do your job. These instance just show how unhappy Delta employees are rather than what we are lead to believe. Airlines are in the service industry and that mean serving people and there is no reason to use that kind od language under any circumstances in the service industry. I have encountered this kind of attitude in various Delta stations so it's a Delta problem over worked employees and lack of adequate resources to handle the work load.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

LH982

Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:14 pm

IPFreely wrote:
dc10co wrote:
And for those who say that he should’ve just helped the customer and taken the claim, then DL is taking a DOT hit for something that they are not responsible for

I know Delta is obsessed with their phony statistics but who cares? The customer bought a ticket from Delta to transport himself and his baggage to Portland. Delta took his money, they took his baggage, then cancelled they his flight and sent him to Portland on another airline. When he gets there his bags are nowhere to be found. At that point an employee who cares about customer service would identify where his baggage is in the computer system and either retrieve it or walk him to the HA baggage office to help him retrieve it. It’s not like the two agents in the video were swamped with other customers or doing anything of any value at the time.

And here we have exactly what the customer expected and has signed up to with Delta.

If i buy a ticket with an airline and they screw me around by cancelling the flight or sending me via a different route, I would expect to feel appreciated, not disowned.

TVNWZ

Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:24 pm

dc10co wrote:

Oh, come on. He could have just punched the guys baggage tracking number into his computer and told him where it was. But, he did nothing. I have never seen anyone get into trouble or take a DOT hit for looking up where a bag might be in a computer. If the agent would have done that he probably would have gone, "Oh. Wow. It's on a DL flight xxx that arrives at such-and-such a time." Instead, he blew the guy off.

LH982

Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:33 pm

dc10co wrote:

14 CFR Part 234 dictates airline baggage reporting requirements, that would be the federal law being broken.

The gentleman was no longer a customer of Delta when Delta endorsed the ticket the customer had with them to Hawaiian. At that point he became a customer of Hawaiian

I have a big problem with this. These may be the fine details of the rules and regulations, but this is not what is being sold to the customer. We are told that the big dependable airline will get us from A to B in the level of comfort we are able to pay for and we will have everything at the end that we had at the beginning. At no stage does a major airline advertise that they may change your agenda and then disown you.

Revelation

Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:33 pm

TVNWZ wrote:
Oh, come on. He could have just punched the guys baggage tracking number into his computer and told him where it was. But, he did nothing. I have never seen anyone get into trouble or take a DOT hit for looking up where a bag might be in a computer. If the agent would have done that he probably would have gone, "Oh. Wow. It's on a DL flight xxx that arrives at such-and-such a time." Instead, he blew the guy off.

Which is probably what he would have done if the customer was someone he knew, rather than some "asshole" off the street who he couldn't be bothered to help.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has it's beaches, it's homeland and thoughts of it's own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has it's seasons, it's evenings and songs of it's own

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos