LHR01
Topic Author

British Airways to Resume Pakistan Flights - British High Commissioner

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:02 pm

Looks like they have HINTED AGAIN... Just a matter of time once they start this year hopefully.

Good luck BA.

British High Commissioner to Pakistan Thomas Drew said that soon British airways would start flight operation in Pakistan. “We have suspended the flight operation due to unavoidable circumstances.”

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1631783/2- ... ral-trade/

Ammad

Re: British Airways to Resume Pakistan Flights - British High Commissioner

Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:16 pm

Most likely after inauguration of New Islamabad Airport.

TryToFlySomeday

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:57 pm

Yep when new ISB airport opens, a new LHR flight on BA will almost for sure open up.

This is great news! Here's why:

1. The new ISB airport is much more safer than any of the other airports in Pakistan, including LHE, KHI and the old ISB
2. The new flight will get lots of diplomatic traffic from Britain, the EU, the US and Canada - therefore airlines like AA and AS don't have to per say route their passengers on EK or QR
3. The new flight will connect ISB to 20+ US cities with a single stop in LHR - that's double the cities QR offers, and almost double of EK. And not to mention like 5x more than EY.
Hi, I'm TryToFlySomeday. A guy who likes to analyze airlines, and loves road trips & airplane trips. Founder of the Roadgeeking Section and Pakistan Aviation Threads.

American-born Pakistani based in ORD. Favorite cities: ORD / GRR / DTW

CaliguyNYC

Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:25 am

BA is not owned by the UK Govt. I don’t think they would or should be the one announcing flights. I hope they launch, but I really doubt they will. BA can just route PAk travelers through DOH. If there was premium demand a smaller UK or EU operator would have flown STN/LGW-ISB

SelseyBill

Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:30 am

Ammad wrote:

Interesting question for me is what they will use ?

Well within range of their new A321NEO.

Just sayin'......

TryToFlySomeday

Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:17 am

CaliguyNYC wrote:
BA is not owned by the UK Govt. I don’t think they would or should be the one announcing flights. I hope they launch, but I really doubt they will. BA can just route PAk travelers through DOH. If there was premium demand a smaller UK or EU operator would have flown STN/LGW-ISB

BA’s team however has been to ISB’s new airport on a few occasions before so I’d have to disagree.

Demand is there, but no one flies it due to Pakistan’s lack of security. Pakistan’s security has seriously been amped up at the new ISB airport, with assistance from Britishers. So it’s actually quite likely.
Hi, I'm TryToFlySomeday. A guy who likes to analyze airlines, and loves road trips & airplane trips. Founder of the Roadgeeking Section and Pakistan Aviation Threads.

TryToFlySomeday

Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:21 am

SelseyBill wrote:
Ammad wrote:

Just sayin'......

Likely a 787.

Ammad

Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:44 am

SelseyBill wrote:
Ammad wrote:

Just sayin'......

This is what British Airways have? ...asking for friend.

Arion640

Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:14 am

TryToFlySomeday wrote:
SelseyBill wrote:
Ammad wrote:

Just sayin'......

Likely a 787.

787-8 or a 3 class 77E. I'd probably go with the latter so same as Tehran.
319 320 321 333 346 359 388 733 738 744 752 753 763 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 E145 E175 E195 RJ85 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75.

Brexit - It’s time to take back control

LupineChemist

Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:33 am

CaliguyNYC wrote:

Trade missions talk to private companies all the time. I was doing work between Spain and S. Africa before the MAD-JNB flight on IB came to be and basically IB called up the local trade representatives to let them know that it was something they could use as a selling point.

Armaghman

Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:44 am

Airport security is one, hotel is another as staff may feel a security risk.

One of the very few countries that I would have not travelled to given a young family which changes perspectives grew up in Northern Ireland so seen a lot in my time and takes a lot to scare me.

If they did start how is staff selected in BA - presume you could refuse. Would BA pay any premium for the location?

Arion640

Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:49 am

Armaghman wrote:

One of the very few countries that I would have not travelled to given a young family which changes perspectives grew up in Northern Ireland so seen a lot in my time and takes a lot to scare me.

If they did start how is staff selected in BA - presume you could refuse. Would BA pay any premium for the location?

i remember air crash investigation saying the crew on the AF A310 hijack had to volunteer to fly to that destination.

I also remember another destination, maybe Lagos or Accra, where BA crew can't leave the hotel.
319 320 321 333 346 359 388 733 738 744 752 753 763 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 E145 E175 E195 RJ85 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75.

UAL777UK

Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:20 am

I would say it was only a matter of time before BA went back as clearly there is demand but the security of their staff is foremost. Not a place I think a lot of crews will volunteer to go to IMHO.

skipness1E

Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:13 am

There's buckets of demand, is the yield there? Flying into Pakistan with a 20 foot union flag on the tailfin always felt like a bit of a target. The Taliban remain a huge danger in the country.

LH658

Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:22 am

Well BA flew for many years between ISB to LHR it was profitable 6 times a week 777, they stop due to bombing of the Marriott which was the main hotel where lot of crew, and foreigners stayed. Now there several other hotels in Islamabad, Pakistan and UK has lot of business, trade, diaspora, & other ties. Lot of Pakistani immigrants in UK come from Punjab, and ISB is basically in Punjab. Plus all the connections it will get from Canada, USA, and Europe. Just put on a AA code share you will start seeing NGO, American diplomats/military, and other folks traveling on this flight as well.

Company like MOV, Total, Halliburton, Standard Charter Bank, Citi Bank, HSBC, and many other companies operate within PK.
Guy's can't under estimate country you haven't been too.

Islamabad is different from the rest of Pakistan. 2nd best planned capital in the world after Washington D.C.

Pakistan been hosting international cricket events for some time now, they hosted 3 American artist in past 3 years, tons of stars from Eastern Europe visit, and perform.

Andy33

Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:09 am

Ammad wrote:
SelseyBill wrote:
Ammad wrote:

Just sayin'......

While British Airways have A321neo on order, none have been delivered yet. However BA have two totally separate onboard cabin configurations which don't both exist on the same plane. There is a "Europe" cabin style (shorthaul) and a "World" cabin style (longhaul). The A321neos are ordered with the Europe cabin, and the furthest away from London they are likely to get is Cyprus - just as well as they will have no IFE, and no separate business class seats - just standard seats sold as business with the middle seat blocked.
Destinations a lot nearer than Pakistan qualify for the World cabin with IFE at all seats and lie-flat business class, including the whole of the Middle East. What may be confusing someone is that BA have 5 A321ceos which are configured with a World style cabin, though unlike all other longhaul planes in the fleet they are two-class (business and economy). These fly to destinations such as Moscow, Tel Aviv, Cairo, Amman and Beirut. The exact selection of destinations varies from timetable to timetable, but they wouldn't reach Pakistan without a refuelling stop. There are so far no A321neos on order for BA with a long haul configuration, and A321neoLRs haven't got past the "we're thinking about it" stage.

ajs123uk

Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:13 am

I’m Crew with BA and I can tell you we definitely can not refuse to go to a destination and there are no premium payments for doing any flights.
When you accept the job you agree to go anywhere on the network

NZ321

Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:29 am

I's be surprised if this is served by an A321 or 787. I think there is a truck load of capacity BA can pick up between Pakistan and the UK, not to mention Canada and the USA. Wouldn't be surprised if they put a 772 or 744 on the route. If the security issues are resolved, the route will fly.
Plane mad!

CRJ900

Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:50 am

SelseyBill wrote:
Ammad wrote:

Just sayin'......

From Oslo, PIA uses the B77W and B77L to cope with all the baggage, as every passenger has 40 kg of baggage - minimum.

If passengers from the UK also pack heavy, an A321 will run out of room with only 100 pax onboard. Forget about ACTs.
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

SelseyBill

Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:07 pm

Andy33 wrote:
Ammad wrote:
SelseyBill wrote:

Just sayin'......

While British Airways have A321neo on order, none have been delivered yet. However BA have two totally separate onboard cabin configurations which don't both exist on the same plane. There is a "Europe" cabin style (shorthaul) and a "World" cabin style (longhaul). The A321neos are ordered with the Europe cabin, and the furthest away from London they are likely to get is Cyprus - just as well as they will have no IFE, and no separate business class seats - just standard seats sold as business with the middle seat blocked.
Destinations a lot nearer than Pakistan qualify for the World cabin with IFE at all seats and lie-flat business class, including the whole of the Middle East. What may be confusing someone is that BA have 5 A321ceos which are configured with a World style cabin, though unlike all other longhaul planes in the fleet they are two-class (business and economy). These fly to destinations such as Moscow, Tel Aviv, Cairo, Amman and Beirut. The exact selection of destinations varies from timetable to timetable, but they wouldn't reach Pakistan without a refuelling stop. There are so far no A321neos on order for BA with a long haul configuration, and A321neoLRs haven't got past the "we're thinking about it" stage.

Thanks for the informative post 'Andy33'; I have been trying to find out what spec the NEO's will arrive in, and this answers that question. I suspected as much, but it was interesting to ponder the possibility of the 'world' cabins......

Anyone know if BA's NEO's will be 154 seat 2-class, 'flexi-cabin' or will they be squeezing a few more in ?

jumpjets

Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:18 pm

Arion640 wrote:
Armaghman wrote:

i remember air crash investigation saying the crew on the AF A310 hijack had to volunteer to fly to that destination.

I also remember another destination, maybe Lagos or Accra, where BA crew can't leave the hotel.

It certainly wouldnt be Accra which from my experience is a very friendly safe place to be - but Ghanains I worked with did their best to avoid going to Lagos which they needed to do from time to time and if at all possible wouldn't leave their hotels other than to go back to the airport.

LHR01
Topic Author

Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:29 pm

NZ321 wrote:
I's be surprised if this is served by an A321 or 787. I think there is a truck load of capacity BA can pick up between Pakistan and the UK, not to mention Canada and the USA. Wouldn't be surprised if they put a 772 or 744 on the route. If the security issues are resolved, the route will fly.

BA did used to fly the 747. They started using the 777 and then got upgraded to 747. Surprisingly they sold all 4 classes on board..

LHR01
Topic Author

Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:32 pm

Now that BA are interested to return to Pakistan;

Look like Norwegian are now also interested to Pakistan
https://thepointsguy.com/2018/02/norweg ... 0152526321

BawliBooch

Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:48 pm

Hmm. Good to see "Bloody Awful" return to Pakistan. But can they get good yields on this route? Its not like "Please Inform Allah" is making any money on their non-stops to London?

Is this really the best use of BA's most valuable asset - slots in LHR?
Hey! I am Banwarilal! Mr.Kapoor's favorite poodle!

BawliBooch

Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:50 pm

And why on earth is the British High Commissioner announcing BA flights?

I thought that sort of thing only happened in their former colonies in South Asia?
Hey! I am Banwarilal! Mr.Kapoor's favorite poodle!

TryToFlySomeday

Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:05 pm

BawliBooch wrote:
Hmm. Good to see "Bloody Awful" return to Pakistan. But can they get good yields on this route? Its not like "Please Inform Allah" is making any money on their non-stops to London?

Is this really the best use of BA's most valuable asset - slots in LHR?

BA has more things going for them than PIA.

Unlike PIA, BA has lots of gov contracts on the UK side, and AA codeshare for connections from America - not to mention 20+ US cities can be connected to Pakistan via London

NZ321

Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:19 pm

If any airline should return to Pakistan it is BA. The settled foreign Pakistani community is but one reason. Government and business interests another. And contrary to banter on various sites a consistent smattering of traffic that is not Y class. BA will be back in this market as soon as practically possible IMHO.
Plane mad!

oceanvikram

Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:41 pm

It will be a cash cow for BA. British Airways can brand themselves as an aspirational service to Western Europe and North America. You will get the usual corrupt politicians and their families which is synonymous with the subcontinent and the wealthy as the target market. Also British companies doing business in Islamabad will be happy to a premium for the direct service with a decent airline. For the rest of the market it will be ME3+TK and PIA.

As for security, it will be a massive blow to Pakistan if an incident did occur on their soil to a western business. So I think security at the airport should not be an issue, unfortunately it will suck for the passengers.

Agreed, but you do have to admit there are some (not all) vocal groups in Pakistan who have an issue with non-Sunni Muslims aka "infidels". Hence 99% of westerners you are going to see in Pakistan are military personal, intelligence agents and business people, basically have been told to go.

skipness1E

Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:48 pm

Was it a massive blow to Pakistan's reputation to have their military sheltering Osama Bin-Laden whilst taking billions of dollars of US aid?
Different culture, different mindset, different morals.

LH658

Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:53 pm

oceanvikram wrote:
It will be a cash cow for BA. British Airways can brand themselves as an aspirational service to Western Europe and North America. You will get the usual corrupt politicians and their families which is synonymous with the subcontinent and the wealthy as the target market. Also British companies doing business in Islamabad will be happy to a premium for the direct service with a decent airline. For the rest of the market it will be ME3+TK and PIA.

As for security, it will be a massive blow to Pakistan if an incident did occur on their soil to a western business. So I think security at the airport should not be an issue, unfortunately it will suck for the passengers.

Agreed, but you do have to admit there are some (not all) vocal groups in Pakistan who have an issue with non-Sunni Muslims aka "infidels". Hence 99% of westerners you are going to see in Pakistan are military personal, intelligence agents and business people, basically have been told to go.

Yes so as places in USA, UK, India, Central Africa, and other places around the world. BA has a good shot, other airlines fly to PK China Southern, Thai, Malindo Air, TK, Air China, and if they carriers operate so can BA. Crime happens one's experience in Pakistan can be bad, and for another it can be horrible.

Every country has there bad people. I can get about city like Karachi, which is not well organized, and has massive population.

Though Islamabad is totally different from the rest of the country.

PIA up gauged it flight to BHX, MAN, and LHR from all 3 major Pakistani cities. How well are they doing? Not sure! Though seem be doing okay with YYZ and UK. If so they would have dropped the routes, or down gauged it.

I am sure BA will pull lot of contracts from companies from Europe, North America, and Canada.

LH658

Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:55 pm

skipness1E wrote:
Was it a massive blow to Pakistan's reputation to have their military sheltering Osama Bin-Laden whilst taking billions of dollars of US aid?

So is it just Pakistan the only country world that has a history in geo politics? Grow up keep the topic to Aviation vs yourself view political opinion.

LH658

Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:00 pm

BawliBooch wrote:
And why on earth is the British High Commissioner announcing BA flights?

I thought that sort of thing only happened in their former colonies in South Asia?

Why not? In USA you have Mayors and State Governors sometimes announcing flights. China and Panama government officials announced flight from PEK - IAH - PTY.

skipness1E

Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:43 pm

LH658 wrote:
skipness1E wrote:

So is it just Pakistan the only country world that has a history in geo politics? Grow up keep the topic to Aviation vs yourself view political opinion.

Now, now, you were the one who brought Pakistan's international reputation up, I merely pointed out they don't have a very good one, or indeed one at all among many. I do find that some countries have incredibly different cultural norms from the West, that's just how it is. There's a reason US bound flights from Pakistan need to reclear security in MAN before being allowed into US airspace, frankly I believe we should have the same rules for the UK given the fact that most of the terrorist plots our guys are uncovering link back in some way, shape or form back to Pakistan. There are alos major cultural differences in terms of behaviour around women and children in towns like Rochdale which underpin my view.
That is my open and honest opinon, but BA are a business and they'll take the money, until someone does another "Neerja Bhanot" day at the airport !

Ammad

Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:57 pm

skipness1E wrote:
LH658 wrote:
skipness1E wrote:

That is my open and honest opinon, but BA are a business and they'll take the money, until someone does another "Neerja Bhanot" day at the airport !

Yeah, Air India Flight 182 incident of "Babbar Khalsa" day was not funny either.

TryToFlySomeday

Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:43 pm

Can we get back on topic?

JayBCNLON

Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:38 pm

TryToFlySomeday wrote:
Yep when new ISB airport opens, a new LHR flight on BA will almost for sure open up.

1. The new ISB airport is much more safer than any of the other airports in Pakistan, including LHE, KHI and the old ISB
2. The new flight will get lots of diplomatic traffic from Britain, the EU, the US and Canada - therefore airlines like AA and AS don't have to per say route their passengers on EK or QR
3. The new flight will connect ISB to 20+ US cities with a single stop in LHR - that's double the cities QR offers, and almost double of EK. And not to mention like 5x more than EY.

Per SAY...... really? Come on guys ... if you don’t know Latin don’t use it!

TryToFlySomeday

Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:35 pm

JayBCNLON wrote:
TryToFlySomeday wrote:

Per SAY...... really? Come on guys ... if you don’t know Latin don’t use it!

Lol sorry

JayBCNLON

Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:47 pm

I have gotten used to people in this forum not knowing that “there”, “they’re” and “their” have different meanings and are different grammatical constructs, and that “would of” is the same as “would have”, but PER SAY really is taking it to a whole new level ... guys it is just as terrible as spelling Qantas with a “u”..... :)

TedToToe

Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:58 pm

JayBCNLON wrote:
I have gotten used to people in this forum not knowing that “there”, “they’re” and “their” have different meanings and are different grammatical constructs, and that “would of” is the same as “would have”, but PER SAY really is taking it to a whole new level ... guys it is just as terrible as spelling Qantas with a “u”..... :)

Punctum laborantes!

bwaflyer

Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:02 pm

SelseyBill wrote:
Andy33 wrote:
Ammad wrote:

Thanks for the informative post 'Andy33'; I have been trying to find out what spec the NEO's will arrive in, and this answers that question. I suspected as much, but it was interesting to ponder the possibility of the 'world' cabins......

Anyone know if BA's NEO's will be 154 seat 2-class, 'flexi-cabin' or will they be squeezing a few more in ?

A321 Neos will have 220 seats in the ACF (is that right?) configuration (main doors at the front and rear, single overwing exits each side, and smaller doors aft of the wing, and spaceflex galleys.

SelseyBill

Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:29 am

oceanvikram wrote:
It will be a cash cow for BA. British Airways can brand themselves as an aspirational service to Western Europe and North America.

Agreed. There are plenty of well-heeled business folks in Pakistan who still value the old colonial links with their former motherland; will be happy to pay the rate and fly to the UK with BA; and avoid all the aggro of going through a ME3 hub.

oceanvikram wrote:
corrupt politicians.....

.....is there any other kind ?

oceanvikram wrote:

Yes; this has to be the major concern. Not just at the airport; but on approaches and over-flying too. Unfortunately nowadays; it doesn't take much for a disparate group or individual to get hold of a wayward SAM and re-enact another MH17. Sorry to bring it up, but it has to be a major concern. I wonder if BA might use plain white aircraft ? To some; a Union Jack liveried aircraft would be like a large mobile target......

SelseyBill

Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:56 am

bwaflyer wrote:
A321 Neos will have 220 seats in the ACF (is that right?) configuration (main doors at the front and rear, single overwing exits each side, and smaller doors aft of the wing, and spaceflex galleys.

BA's current 'Europe' 321's are 205Y but can and do flex up to 54J/123Y.

So if the new A321NEO-ACF are 220Y, BA could have them as 220Y and flex them up to something like 62J/135Y approx for 197 total in maximum business class BA set-up. Just looking at my '1996 British Airways World Timetable' booklet; (remember them folks); BA's 757's were 32J/163Y=195.

So; for BA at least; it looks like the A321NEO will be pretty much able to do everything and more that a 757 used to, whilst using 25% less fuel...... (Lights blue touch paper and stands well back.....)

TedToToe

Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:45 am

SelseyBill wrote:
oceanvikram wrote:
corrupt politicians.....

.....is there any other kind ?

There is, and (former MP) Glenda Jackson springs to mind. Sadly, they are few and far between!

unrave

Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:02 am

Will the crew be paid a hardship allowance?
Air India is a national embarrassment

Arion640

Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:56 am

SelseyBill wrote:
bwaflyer wrote:

BA's current 'Europe' 321's are 205Y but can and do flex up to 54J/123Y.

So if the new A321NEO-ACF are 220Y, BA could have them as 220Y and flex them up to something like 62J/135Y approx for 197 total in maximum business class BA set-up. Just looking at my '1996 British Airways World Timetable' booklet; (remember them folks); BA's 757's were 32J/163Y=195.

So; for BA at least; it looks like the A321NEO will be pretty much able to do everything and more that a 757 used to, whilst using 25% less fuel...... (Lights blue touch paper and stands well back.....)

I was under the impression the NEO's would have a certain amount of pinaccles which will become the new CE seat and then the plastic recaro space saving seats would become the ET seats. Obviously the moveable curtain is there still but are they planning to put that many rows of the pinaccle seats in there to make 50 ish J seats?

As for BA in Pakistan and the issue of having a big union jack on the tail, I don't think BA would risk an aircraft, passengers and crew just to run this flight. The security situation would likley be sound if they do begin flights.

PerfectGriffin

Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:17 pm

unrave wrote:
Will the crew be paid a hardship allowance?

Islamabad is actually a lovely place and relatively safe. I don't know what exactly the 'hardship' would be. It's quite boring and there isn't much to do, but for a one day layover, it would be fine.

Lahore is also safe enough and a far more interesting city than Islamabad. Karachi wouldn't be a safe destination, but I'd say it's not any less chaotic than other BA destinations like Mumbai, Cairo or Lagos.

TryToFlySomeday

Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:46 pm

Karachi is probably the least safe out of Karachi, Lahore and Islamabad - likely safer than northern Pakistan though.

However, yeah, I see mainly ISB’s new airport (which Secretary of Aviation said was opening April) getting European airlines like BA. LHE might get some in the future but ISB will be the capital of aviation for Pakistan, at least for now

oceanvikram

Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:34 am

Islamabad is actually a lovely place and relatively safe. I don't know what exactly the 'hardship' would be. It's quite boring and there isn't much to do, but for a one day layover, it would be fine.

Lahore is also safe enough and a far more interesting city than Islamabad. Karachi wouldn't be a safe destination, but I'd say it's not any less chaotic than other BA destinations like Mumbai, Cairo or Lagos.

Big difference between unsafe and chaotic cites. At least in a chaotic city, foreigners are individually targeted. In an unsafe city, foreigners as an ethnic group are targeted by a local entity to get attention.

I have been told that Islamabad is safe. But for whom?

I am an Australian of Indian/Hindu background, I would like to visit my ancestral lands near Lahore. Most of my friends are caucasians with secular to some Christian views and 2 who have very Jewish names. Would anyone say we will will be safe in Islamabad (safest city in Pakistan)?

neomax

Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:38 am

oceanvikram wrote:

Big difference between unsafe and chaotic cites. At least in a chaotic city, foreigners are individually targeted. In an unsafe city, foreigners as an ethnic group are targeted by a local entity to get attention.

I have been told that Islamabad is safe. But for whom?

I am an Australian of Indian/Hindu background, I would like to visit my ancestral lands near Lahore. Most of my friends are caucasians with secular to some Christian views and 2 who have very Jewish names. Would anyone say we will will be safe in Islamabad (safest city in Pakistan)?

I know I'm going to get flamed like hell for this, but you really are safer as a minority in Pakistan than in India. People give Pakistan shit for its blasphemy laws and while I don't agree with it, you have to understand that the people of Pakistan are just like people from any other other country and will respect you as long as you don't try to be intentionally disruptive or provocative to their way of life. Pakistanis just want to lead a peaceful life like anyone in the US, UK, AU, or India, and they have no interest in causing you any harm. As long as you respect the way of life of the people around you, you will find that Pakistanis are among the nicest, most welcoming and hospitable people you will ever meet. If you are in America, don't insult Christianity, if you are in India, don't insult Hindus, if you are in Pakistan, don't insult Muslims. India is home to over 1 billion people, so there is a much greater level of nationalism there than anywhere in Pakistan or even America for that matter. To be completely honest, extreme nationalism often has the unintended effect of excluding the minority which is why India's "secular" nature is often debated. Pakistan is nowhere near as nationalistically extreme as India, and while almost all of the country is Muslim, the fact that it is more nationalistically moderate means that it is less hostile to minorities. In Pakistan, there is no nightly TV debate about that state of minorities in the country. While I would not pretend for even a second that there is not some level of discrimination that does go on in some areas, it is not in your face, but rather passive in nature. And that is in the conservative areas of the country. In the liberal areas, most people would be surprised how normal life is, majority or minority alike. This is something most people will not understand until they actually set foot on Pakistani soil. I would encourage all of you to visit regardless of your background or ethnicity, if you give it a chance, you'll be pleasantly surprised by the warmth of the country and its people.

Anyway, to answer your question, Islamabad is absolutely safe, but if you want to see the real Pakistan, take the Daewoo Express a few hours down to Lahore. A city of 11 million people, rich history, incredible architecture (Badshahi Masjid is a MUST), the home of the Mughals, and some of the best food you will ever have in your life. By the sounds of things, it seems like you were already planning to visit. But definitely do it, you can thank me later :D

SelseyBill

Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:49 am

oceanvikram wrote:
I have been told that Islamabad is safe. But for whom? I am an Australian of Indian/Hindu background, I would like to visit my ancestral lands near Lahore. Most of my friends are caucasians with secular to some Christian views and 2 who have very Jewish names. Would anyone say we will will be safe in Islamabad (safest city in Pakistan)?

......oceanvikram my friend, I would say you would be very safe in Islamabad. I went to Rawalpindi a few years ago on business, and found the folks in Islamabad/Pawalpindi to be very warm and welcoming and very pleased to see international visitors. I didn't find it the slightest bit intimidating walking around the back streets and local markets in the area.

In point of fact, I would say there are parts of London and many neighbourhoods in American cities I know, where I would very definitely warn you away from, but not Islamabad.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos