User avatar
KarelXWB
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 26968
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:13 pm

Philippine Airlines looking at acquiring A350-1000 aircraft

Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:24 pm

Philippine Airlines may complement its upcoming A350-900 fleet by the largest model of the A350 family:

The Southeast Asian nation’s first airline is undergoing a $2 billion (£1.4 billion) expansion programme to make its fleet one of the youngest in Asia.

“It is one airplane we can consider. It is a bigger version of the A350-900,” Jaime Bautista, president of the airline’s operator, PAL Holdings Inc, told reporters before an A350-1000 test flight in the capital Manila.

There is commonality in spare parts between the A350-900 and the A350-1000 and Philippine Airlines’ pilots can fly both aircraft, Bautista added.


Article
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-pal-h ... KKCN1FZ0KR
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.
 
User avatar
rotating14
Posts: 1374
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:54 pm

Re: Philippine Airlines looking at acquiring A350-1000 aircraft

Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:43 pm

I'm sorry but how does an aircraft they'd "consider", whether leasing or buying, equate to acquiring the aforementioned aircraft?

For all we know they might be considering the A35K in discussions with another RFP or otherwise.
 
Flying-Tiger
Posts: 3972
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 1999 5:35 am

Re: Philippine Airlines looking at acquiring A350-1000 aircraft

Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:55 pm

The Manila Bulletin actually uses exactely that word:

Philippine Airlines (PAL) is interested in acquiring the new US$366-million Airbus A350-1000, which arrived in Manila for the first time yesterday for a series of demonstration flights, PAL President and COO Jaime J. Bautista told reporters.
Flown: A319/320/321,A332/3,A343/346, A380,AT4,AT7,B732/3/4/5/7/8/9,B742/4,B762/763,B772/77W,CR2/7/9/K,ER3/4,E70/75/90/95, F50/70/100,M11,L15,SF3,S20, AR8/1, 142/143,...
 
LurveBus
Posts: 259
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:21 pm

Re: Philippine Airlines looking at acquiring A350-1000 aircraft

Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:30 pm

rotating14 wrote:
I'm sorry but how does an aircraft they'd "consider", whether leasing or buying, equate to acquiring the aforementioned aircraft?

For all we know they might be considering the A35K in discussions with another RFP or otherwise.


Those with insider info claim that PAL fleet planners are very interested. Plus, PAL has 6 A350 options that it has yet to firm up.

I personally think that a young fleet of 10 77Ws would be better complemented by A359s as opposed to A35Ks, but that’s just me.
 
User avatar
idp5601
Posts: 171
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:09 am

Re: Philippine Airlines looking at acquiring A350-1000 aircraft

Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:06 am

LurveBus wrote:
rotating14 wrote:
I'm sorry but how does an aircraft they'd "consider", whether leasing or buying, equate to acquiring the aforementioned aircraft?

For all we know they might be considering the A35K in discussions with another RFP or otherwise.


Those with insider info claim that PAL fleet planners are very interested. Plus, PAL has 6 A350 options that it has yet to firm up.

I personally think that a young fleet of 10 77Ws would be better complemented by A359s as opposed to A35Ks, but that’s just me.

From what I hear the 77W can't carry the same payload as the A35K on its way back to MNL from the US West Coast. I would assume the -1000 would complement the triple-seven on the cargo side of things. The A359 would be too small for LAX/SFO ops, especially given the premium-heavy (at least for PAL) 295 seat configuration they're going to install.
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 6175
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Airlines looking at acquiring A350-1000 aircraft

Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:00 am

idp5601 wrote:
The A359 would be too small for LAX/SFO ops, especially given the premium-heavy (at least for PAL) 295 seat configuration they're going to install.

PAL have been operating the much smaller A340 to LAX/SFO for the longest time. They should have no problem with the A359 as a second daily frequency or during lean seasons.

The A350-1000 would be a reasonable replacement for the first 77Ws coming off-lease...as PR wouldn't have to refurbish those to match the rest of the A359s joining the fleet.....

Image
http://media.philstar.com/images/articl ... -39-56.jpg

https://beta.philstar.com/business/2018 ... raft-fleet

Quote:
"MANILA, Philippines — Flag carrier Philippine Airlines (PAL) is planning to include in its fleet the new long range wide-body Airbus A350-1000.

PAL president and chief operating officer Jaime Bautista told reporters on the sidelines of the demonstration flight of the Airbus A350-1000 at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport the carrier is interested in making the new aircraft part of its fleet.

'Of course, we are considering it,' he said."
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
User avatar
idp5601
Posts: 171
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:09 am

Re: Philippine Airlines looking at acquiring A350-1000 aircraft

Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:17 pm

Sorry for reviving a moribund thread, but according to a very reliable source from another aviation forum, PAL are already talking to a lessor about the A350-1000.
 
User avatar
SQ22
Moderator
Posts: 997
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:29 am

Re: Philippine Airlines looking at acquiring A350-1000 aircraft

Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:58 pm

idp5601 wrote:
Sorry for reviving a moribund thread, but according to a very reliable source from another aviation forum, PAL are already talking to a lessor about the A350-1000.


So this would mean they are in talks with Air Lease Corporation. They are the only lessor with A350-1000 in the books (for the time being).

https://www.airleasecorp.com/press/air- ... o-aircraft
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 6175
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Airlines looking at acquiring A350-1000 aircraft

Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:37 pm

SQ22 wrote:
So this would mean they are in talks with Air Lease Corporation. They are the only lessor with A350-1000 in the books (for the time being).

https://www.airleasecorp.com/press/air- ... o-aircraft

Maybe things have moved on since the dates in that article...it may be helpful to check their current portfolio. This could mean other lessors now have A35Ks for placement or about to order some.
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
User avatar
SQ22
Moderator
Posts: 997
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:29 am

Re: Philippine Airlines looking at acquiring A350-1000 aircraft

Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:51 pm

Devilfish wrote:
SQ22 wrote:
Maybe things have moved on since the dates in that article...it may be helpful to check their current portfolio. This could mean other lessors now have A35Ks for placement or about to order some.


No changes, there is only an order of two frames for (an) undisclosed customer(s) and I guess that is a bit small for a lessor.

http://www.airbus.com/content/dam/corpo ... ist-EN.pdf

and

https://sites.google.com/site/a350xwbproduction/orders
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 6175
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Philippine Airlines looking at acquiring A350-1000 aircraft

Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:47 pm

SQ22 wrote:
No changes, there is only an order of two frames for (an) undisclosed customer(s) and I guess that is a bit small for a lessor.

Well, you're the one who mentioned they must be talking to a particular lessor.....does it necessarily have to be that way? PR's president said they were just "considering" it.....although they had been known to order a frame or two directly. Perhaps a sale and leaseback deal (in which case they'd need to talk to at least two lessors) on the off chance that they indeed want a couple :?: Current financials may be tight, but it's not like PR needs the A35K immediately. :smile:
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
JoergAtADN
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:01 pm

Re: Philippine Airlines looking at acquiring A350-1000 aircraft

Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:49 pm

They have options for 6 additional A350. Usually such options offer a better price and faster delivery than new orders.

If they talk to lessors, I would expect that they order the aircraft at the low price guaranteed by their existing options and sell them to the lessor for the present market price at the day of delivery. And then, they will lease the planes back. This is a deal which every lessor could offer, independent of existing A350 orders by the llessor itself.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos