oskarclare

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - March 2018

Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:22 am

Air China interested in Chengdu-Brisbane by 2025 as well as links to Vancouver and Dubai etc

http://atwonline.com/airports-routes/ai ... -route-may

Qantas16

Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:18 am

oskarclare wrote:
Air China interested in Chengdu-Brisbane by 2025 as well as links to Vancouver and Dubai etc

http://atwonline.com/airports-routes/ai ... -route-may

I'd be shocked if there isn't a service BNE-CTU by the end of 2019, let alone by 2025 (not necessarily on CA though).

Bluebird191

Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:08 am

Wouldn’t Air China be more interested in trying to get PEK-BNE from 3x weekly to Daily before starting CTU?

eta unknown

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:39 am

I'm not so convinced- I think a lot of these China-Australia flights from 2nd and 3rd tier cities to SYD/MEL will dry up once the subsidies/incentives stop, never mind adding BNE into the mix.

IndianicWorld

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:50 am

eta unknown wrote:
I'm not so convinced- I think a lot of these China-Australia flights from 2nd and 3rd tier cities to SYD/MEL will dry up once the subsidies/incentives stop, never mind adding BNE into the mix.

Tend to agree that it may well play out that way.

The subsidies are a key reason many of the secondary China routes exist, so any changes to that will likely lead to a strategy shift.

It’s unlikely that many of those routes are commercially viable at this point, so prestige has played a role in opening up services to cities across the globe that hold a strategic benefit for the city/Province.

Some routes may develop into viable routes on their own, but as time moves on it may just be a case where the demand shifts back to the major hubs once the capacity is available, along with a loosening of the route access restrictions by the Chinese govt.

CraigAnderson

Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:48 pm

Interesting: Qantas ‘flies’ new non-stop Perth to UK path on computer for two years in preparation

"Qantas has been flying the new nonstop Perth-London route for more than two years — on computers. The service begins on March 24. According to Qantas chief technical pilot Alex Passerini, planning for what will be the longest 787 flight began in 2015 when sophisticated strategic planning software was used to examine the route’s viability.
That process involved “flying” the 787 from Perth to London with a near full payload every day using the winds of the day to see what was the optimum flight path and build a database of experience on the performance.
“That allows us to build an archive of data — how the aeroplane performs, the weather conditions that we encounter and that sort of thing,” Capt. Passerini said.

More at https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/qantas-f ... b88763630z

JBusworth

Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:50 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
Interesting: Qantas ‘flies’ new non-stop Perth to UK path on computer for two years in preparation

"Qantas has been flying the new nonstop Perth-London route for more than two years — on computers. The service begins on March 24. According to Qantas chief technical pilot Alex Passerini, planning for what will be the longest 787 flight began in 2015 when sophisticated strategic planning software was used to examine the route’s viability.
That process involved “flying” the 787 from Perth to London with a near full payload every day using the winds of the day to see what was the optimum flight path and build a database of experience on the performance.
“That allows us to build an archive of data — how the aeroplane performs, the weather conditions that we encounter and that sort of thing,” Capt. Passerini said.

I think that this is a good concept and will hopefully allow Qantas to avoid have to divert the flight to other destinations as they will have a knowledge of the best possible routes.

I presume that at some point they will do similar planning for East Coast flights to London and New York?

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:14 am

JBusworth wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

I think that this is a good concept and will hopefully allow Qantas to avoid have to divert the flight to other destinations as they will have a knowledge of the best possible routes.

I presume that at some point they will do similar planning for East Coast flights to London and New York?

Its indeed an interesting insight into the forward planning of such a route. Agree that it is a good concept and I would say its not the only route where similar planning is done. QF were studying weather patterns for East coast flights to LHR and JFK so I would imagine once they have a better understanding on that similar planning will be undertaken
Forum Moderator

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:26 am

With HA now confirming they have ditched the A338neo in favour of the 789, HA could operate them on existing routes to Australia (SYD,BNE) and potentially new routes such as MEL & PER

https://www.ausbt.com.au/hawaiian-airli ... ource=hero
Forum Moderator

Ruscoe

Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:40 am

JBusworth wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

I think that this is a good concept and will hopefully allow Qantas to avoid have to divert the flight to other destinations

My understanding is that the flight will take 17 and half hours to London and 16 and three qtr hours to Perth, and that they will still have an hour of cruise fuel available at LHR, so diversions should not be common. Biggest risk is beating the curfew.

Ruscoe

EK413

Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:25 am

Ruscoe wrote:
JBusworth wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

I think that this is a good concept and will hopefully allow Qantas to avoid have to divert the flight to other destinations

My understanding is that the flight will take 17 and half hours to London and 16 and three qtr hours to Perth, and that they will still have an hour of cruise fuel available at LHR, so diversions should not be common. Biggest risk is beating the curfew.

Ruscoe

I believe your referring to the LHR curfew and I agree will be challenging ensuring the flight isn’t delayed ex-MEL with a domino effect. What’s even more concerning is the ex-LAX sector any delay there rolls on.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:34 am

EK413 wrote:
Ruscoe wrote:
JBusworth wrote:

Ruscoe

I believe your referring to the LHR curfew and I agree will be challenging ensuring the flight isn’t delayed ex-MEL with a domino effect. What’s even more concerning is the ex-LAX sector any delay there rolls on.

EK413

Even if there is a delay ex LAX it shouldn't impact the schedule as the aircraft in between the LAX-MEL and MEL-PER sectors spends several hours on the ground. I would actually be more concerned about delays from LHR as that would effect the LHR-PER-MEL flight along with MEL-LAX/SFO-MEL flight particularly with quite tight turnarounds as it is
Forum Moderator

qf002

Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:38 am

EK413 wrote:

It’s an early arrival at LHR that would be a problem, not a delayed one.

jupiter2

Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:27 am

qf002 wrote:
EK413 wrote:

That's easily rectified, just slow down a bit. Should still have enough fuel to hold if necessary anyway.

EK413

Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:39 am

qf789 wrote:
EK413 wrote:
Ruscoe wrote:

Ruscoe

EK413

Even if there is a delay ex LAX it shouldn't impact the schedule as the aircraft in between the LAX-MEL and MEL-PER sectors spends several hours on the ground. I would actually be more concerned about delays from LHR as that would effect the LHR-PER-MEL flight along with MEL-LAX/SFO-MEL flight particularly with quite tight turnarounds as it is

Thanks for clarifying I was under the impression the LAX-MEL was continuing onto PER-LHR. Seems to follow the similar pattern QF2 morning arrival & continues to LAX as QF11 & vice versa QF12 continues on to LHR as QF1.

qf002 wrote:
EK413 wrote:

This is going to be an interesting flight to monitor.

EK413

qf2220

Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:11 am

CraigAnderson wrote:

Now that ive read this I shouldn't be surprised, but I am. This is pretty interesting.

No doubt Boeing would have been heavily involved in this and would have also used the data to improve the 789, unless QF deemed that to be too much of an IP risk that may have lead to their learnings being given to their competitors through the airframe?

TN486

Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:01 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOQXzCKs2_I

congrats to the cameraman. she looks good!!
remember the t shirt "I own an airline"on the front - "qantas" on the back

RyanairGuru

Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:42 am

jupiter2 wrote:
qf002 wrote:
EK413 wrote:

That's easily rectified, just slow down a bit. Should still have enough fuel to hold if necessary anyway.

Last time I flew QF12 LAX-SYD we boarded and then the captain announced we wouldn’t be pushing back for another 60 minutes as otherwise we would arrive in SYD before 06:00. If they know in advance that the headwinds aren’t as strong as predicted it is a lot cheaper to delay the departure than slow down in flight or, worse, spend an hour in a holding pattern.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

redroo

Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:48 am

jupiter2 wrote:
qf002 wrote:
EK413 wrote:

The challenge for PER-LHR is that it needs to leave Perth o time. If it is delayed by 1 hour then the crew will time out and the flight could be cancelled.

The other issue is that if it doesn’t arrive into LHR before 6am then it will be hitting the peak traffic into London. She won’t have the fuel to do circles above Windsor Castle.

It’s going to be interesting. QF will make it work in the safest possible way.

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:02 am

Story on 16 potential new routes for JQ A321LR's

https://blueswandaily.com/16-potential- ... 321neolrs/
Forum Moderator

planemanofnz

Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:12 am

qf789 wrote:

AFAIK, those routes are just CAPA hypotheticals, and not grounded in JQ sources?

Further, I'm not so sure that WLG could handle an A321LR service of that distance?

Cheers,

C.

V8CHRGD

Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:16 am

Hawaii considering Perth using future 787's

https://www.perthnow.com.au/travel/air- ... ign=buffer

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:19 am

planemanofnz wrote:
qf789 wrote:

AFAIK, those routes are just CAPA hypotheticals, and not grounded in JQ sources?

Further, I'm not so sure that WLG could handle an A321LR service of that distance?

Cheers,

C.

Hence why I said potential
Forum Moderator

eta unknown

Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:22 am

JQ couldn't make PER-Lombok work so good luck for significantly longer ex SYD/MEL. More capa-crap speculation...

unrave

Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:25 am

Air India to increase its weekly flights to Sydney to 5 from 30Mar18
Air India is a national embarrassment

DavidByrne

Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:28 am

V8CHRGD wrote:

Sounds about as likely as Norwegian's flight to EZE.
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife

oskarclare

Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:39 am

qf789 wrote:

No Brisbane surprise surprise

tullamarine

Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:58 am

qf789 wrote:

This is pretty much a list of routes that are theoretically in range; I wouldn't take anymore from it than that. For most of them, you'd have to think that they'd struggle. For example, if the Indonesian routes actually were anything like viable then Lion would've moved already. That they haven't answers the question.

Likewise, I'd have to wonder about a route like CHC-PER by a LCC. This route probably needs business travellers to survive; I don't JQ is going to excite them....maybe if NZ goes for the A321LR, it is a chance.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 789, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

planemanofnz

Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:29 am

tullamarine wrote:
This is pretty much a list of routes that are theoretically in range; I wouldn't take anymore from it than that.

Exactly - take Samoa as an example - good luck getting traffic approvals / rights in the current environment, where OL is being protected by withdrawing some of VA's rights.

tullamarine wrote:
Likewise, I'd have to wonder about a route like CHC-PER by a LCC. This route probably needs business travellers to survive.

What makes you say this - I'd have thought that this was primarily a VFR route and/or low-yielding tourism route? I don't know of much business between CHC and PER?

Cheers,

C.

waoz1

Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:03 am

DavidByrne wrote:
V8CHRGD wrote:

Actually this one was mentioned a few years back. More so as Perth doesnt have a direct service to the USA I think it could be a smart move for Hawaiian... I would certainly consider it. Rather go via Honolulu than Sydney or Brisbane having to change terminals.

waoz1

Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:05 am

planemanofnz wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
This is pretty much a list of routes that are theoretically in range; I wouldn't take anymore from it than that.

Exactly - take Samoa as an example - good luck getting traffic approvals / rights in the current environment, where OL is being protected by withdrawing some of VA's rights.

tullamarine wrote:
Likewise, I'd have to wonder about a route like CHC-PER by a LCC. This route probably needs business travellers to survive.

What makes you say this - I'd have thought that this was primarily a VFR route and/or low-yielding tourism route? I don't know of much business between CHC and PER?

Cheers,

C.

Air NZ do a seasonal PER-CHC.. does quiet well. Has even been extented over the years

qf002

Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:18 am

QF has finally confirmed the reconfiguration of six A332s to international spec with an extra toilet in J -

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-revamps ... ource=hero

I'm surprised they aren't doing all eight PTV-equipped -200s.

smi0006

Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:29 am

qf002 wrote:
QF has finally confirmed the reconfiguration of six A332s to international spec with an extra toilet in J -

Great news. Can we see more international flying to Asia then? These changes wouldn’t be needed for the increase in Tasman services.

Where do the two Sky-Bed aircraft fly currently? HNL?

vhebb

Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:37 am

Good news!

This also pretty much confirms that the 2 skybed A330s EBG/EBL will become domestic ipad A332s

EK413

Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:41 am

DavidByrne wrote:
V8CHRGD wrote:

Not that bad considering pax can travel direct PER-HNL & then further 4 hours and they’ll be disembarking east coast of America.

smi0006 wrote:
qf002 wrote:

Great news. Can we see more international flying to Asia then? These changes wouldn’t be needed for the increase in Tasman services.

SYD-PEK and SYD-HNL.

EK413

JBusworth

Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:42 am

smi0006 wrote:
qf002 wrote:

Have seen them often on PEK, not sure where else they go.

vhebb

Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:44 am

The international A330 schedule (excluding NZ) uses around 14 to 15 A330s a day with a bit of slack. So having 16 pure international A330s should cover all the existing flying.

qf002

Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:52 am

smi0006 wrote:
Great news. Can we see more international flying to Asia then?

They already do quite a bit of Asian flying with the -200s, I went through and counted them up about six months ago and there were up to 5 frames per day scheduled to fly to PEK, SIN, CGK, MNL and HKG. They've added KIX since then (a mixture of -200 and -300) and have scheduled some -200s onto BKK as well this year.

There might be a bit of room to add 1 extra flight (or maybe 2 some days of the week) but I think we are more likely to see them maintain some slack in the international fleet to ensure that they aren't forced to resort to using the domestic aircraft too often.

smi0006 wrote:

SYD-PEK is the only regular one but they pop up all over the place. HNL is a -300 these days (has been for a couple of years).

An767

Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:59 am

smi0006 wrote:
qf002 wrote:

Caught one of these on QF23 to BKK on 23rd Feb . I used to like the sky bed, but now spoilt with the updated seats
AN767
If its got wings put me on it. If it floats on water take it away

EK413

Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:30 am

EK413 wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:
V8CHRGD wrote:

Not that bad considering pax can travel direct PER-HNL & then further 4 hours and they’ll be disembarking east coast of America.

smi0006 wrote:
qf002 wrote:

SYD-PEK and SYD-HNL.

EK413

Correction west coast

oskarclare

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:25 am

Just did a fake search for sydney-haikou on 11 APR and return on 10 July. Fares are riddiculously cheap almost as if they are a mistake.

Outbound SYD-HAK: Economy Saver - $128.98 AUD
Inbound HAK-SYD: Economy Saver - $86.28

This is amazing for someone that wants a quick flight to Haikou. Loads must be pretty bad.

Boof

Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:22 am

EK413 wrote:
Correction west coast

Your correction made me think about the US East Coast and if HA did fly PER-HNL, it would bring the US East Coast to one stop as well and make it around a 24 hour journey as HA fly HNL-JFK which blocks around 9 hours. HNL-PER is slightly longer than AKL-LAX so assume 12 hours or thereabouts for that leg and 2 hours on the ground (assuming they schedule them to meet LAX and JFK connections) and it can be done.

Of course with Project Sunrise JFK would be one stop from PER via SYD but would avoid an assumed 20 hour non-stop flight, and being in HNL would give pax a nice little tropical stopover if desired.
Bring back Virgin Blue!

QF41

Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:23 am

Anyone know why QF23 had an 11hr delay today?

Would have been a long day in the terminal for those passengers!
Must be somewhere can't be nowhere

QF, VA, JQ, SQ, AA, BA, DJ, MH, RJ, EK, EY, GA, AY, LA, CU, UL, NZ, CI, PR, AZ, AT, U2, MZ, NC, 3K

A330freak

Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:32 pm

An update on Jetgo's planned Brisbane - Karratha - Singapore flights. Flights between Brisbane and Karratha are tentatively scheduled to start in June with the start date of Singapore services scheduled for September. The airline also confirms that the route will be operated by an E190 (not an E175 as previously they've stated). All this is still subject to regulatory approval

http://karratha.wa.gov.au/blog/take-dat ... -singapore

undertheradar

Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:29 am

Just a random query for my own education/knowledge and completely off any current topic! In the past I'm sure I have read somewhere on the internet but I have searched and searched on CASA site but gave up trying to find specific info! CASA (or some other Australian regulator) does not allow Australian registered aircraft to have FULLY enclosed passenger seats, which is why Australian registered aircraft cannot have fully enclosed seats with doors a la what various other airlines have in First/Business class) Is this true? Does anyone here know? I'm very sure I read it, I just cant find it anywhere! Just looking for the facts...not 'opinions'. :)

EK413

Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:39 am

QF41 wrote:
Anyone know why QF23 had an 11hr delay today?

Would have been a long day in the terminal for those passengers!

Appears QF0108 -QPB operated the QF0023 which doesn’t necessarily explain the lengthy delay. Possible original aircraft went AOG, nil spare aircraft resulting in the flight being delayed awaiting arrival of -QPB at 14:13?

EK413
Last edited by qf789 on Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spelling at request of the user

qf789
Topic Author

Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:00 am

Update on third runway for PER, community consultation should start mid year

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/perth-ai ... b88766343z
Forum Moderator

waoz1

Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:50 am

qf789 wrote:
Update on third runway for PER, community consultation should start mid year

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/perth-ai ... b88766343z

Always funny how Perth Airport talks about these things all the time but always seem to leave out the start or completion dates.

Believe it when i see it...

Obzerva

Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:51 am

oskarclare wrote:
Just did a fake search for sydney-haikou on 11 APR and return on 10 July. Fares are riddiculously cheap almost as if they are a mistake.

This is amazing for someone that wants a quick flight to Haikou. Loads must be pretty bad.

One of the things I’ve never quite understood about some of the Chinese carriers, they seem to launch routes quite quickly from the timing of the announcement that they will fly the route, giving the flights little chance to fill. If they were trying to beat a competitor to the punch then I could understand the logic but some of the routes are marginal with one carrier, let alone having potential competition, I would have thought they would announce further out allowing time for promotion.
To your point, I think some of the loads might be diabolical, unless they’re pricing the market ex AU cheaper to stimulate demand outbound from AU rather than it being all from China.

RyanairGuru

Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:21 pm

Obzerva wrote:
oskarclare wrote:

One of the things I’ve never quite understood about some of the Chinese carriers, they seem to launch routes quite quickly from the timing of the announcement that they will fly the route, giving the flights little chance to fill. If they were trying to beat a competitor to the punch then I could understand the logic but some of the routes are marginal with one carrier, let alone having potential competition, I would have thought they would announce further out allowing time for promotion.
To your point, I think some of the loads might be diabolical, unless they’re pricing the market ex AU cheaper to stimulate demand outbound from AU rather than it being all from China.

Most of these routes are subsidised, so it makes little difference whether they start the route whickly. The advantage of launching soon after announcing the route is to make sure a competitor doesn’t enter the market, as China still has a ‘one airline one route’ and also to grab as many subsidies as possible.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos