Mr.BA
Topic Author

Landing Lights On The B747

Sun Mar 03, 2002 1:29 am

Just wonddering if anyone could help me here. I think it's kind of a silly question but nevertheless I am interested to know. There are 4 lights on the wing (2 each) and I see that they normally have them all on. But I have seen too that out of the 4, only 2 were turned on(one on each side, normally in the day). What controls determine how many lights are on? I think if you have you the landing gear lowered and have the landing lights on it will be at full brightness while when the gear is up it won't be as bright? And, when do pilots normally off the landing lights after departure?

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Philippe noret

Thanks very much and have a nice weekend ahead.

alvin
Boeing747 万岁!

GE

RE: Landing Lights On The B747

Sun Mar 03, 2002 9:12 am

Hi Alvin:
As you can see from the picture below of a B744 cockpit (ext. lights section), there are separate controls for landing lights: inboard and outboard. Hope that answers your first question.

I'm not sure about the brightness thingy, but I don't think the pilots have control over that.

The landing lights are turned on after receiving takeoff clearance and are turned off after 10,000 feet. They are turned on again after passing 10,000 ft during descent and turned off after leaving the runway.

I hope I helped! Big grin

apuneger

Sun Mar 03, 2002 9:17 am

Isn't it strange that Boeing didn't put the landing light levers in the very same order as they really are, i.e. Left 2 and Right 2?

I just noticed this. But I'm sure they had a good reason to put the levers the way they are.

Ivan
Ivan Coninx - Brussels Aviation Photography

777236ER

Sun Mar 03, 2002 9:30 am

Apunegar, because pilots seldom want to control the lights on a single side. What's the point? With that arrangement, the pilot can easily adjust the outboard, then inboard lights.
Your bone's got a little machine

AJ

Sun Mar 03, 2002 9:36 am

On the B747-400 the outboard lights shine down at a greater angle to be effective at approach attitudes at night. The inboards shine forward, so are good for taxiing. Our company runs the inboards as collision avoidance and recognition, so they are used day and night. Outboards are used only at night.
You are right about the intensity, they dim once airborne.
On a departure the outboards are turned off at 500' (at night) and the inboards at 10,000'. On approach it is the reverse.

NWA742

Sun Mar 03, 2002 9:42 am

I think only 2 of the lights are used during taxi, but on takeoff and landing, all 4 are used.
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

Mr.BA
Topic Author

Sun Mar 03, 2002 11:45 am

One thing I have noticed about BA B744s. The pilots, while taxying at night, only turn on lights on one wing (for example, left inboard and left outboard). They turn on lights on the left side before they turn left and off the right side but turn on the right side and of the left side before turning right. Is there any special reason to this?

I have seen B747s take-off with only landing lights on, without the runway turn-off and taxi lights on the nose gear. Any reasons for the pilots to decide on this? Is it true that the nose's runway turn-off and taxylights will turn off automatically once the plane gets airborne (if they are turned on during take-off)? I think it has something go to do with ground to air sensing mode?

Thanks everyone.
Boeing747 万岁!

Mr.BA
Topic Author

Sun Mar 03, 2002 11:50 am

Sorry for posting another post. A few more questions came to mind  Big grin

I it possible to turn on one runway-turn-off lights(left on right off for eg)? I have read that if there are very thick for and poor visibility, landing lights need not be turned on because it might further reduce visibility (reflection by fog), wouldn't it be dangerous, imagine a 77 landing without lights except the strobe and beacon?

I look forward to my flight to MEL the coming friday to MEL on the B744 with Qantas.  Smile

Thanks again

alvin
Boeing747 万岁!

Mr.BA
Topic Author

Mon Mar 04, 2002 9:38 pm

Anyone?
Boeing747 万岁!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos