BlueTrue
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:09 pm

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:09 pm

Can you only find articles that are years old? Hardly unbiased are they? I assume people who support these arguements don't buy imported goods from cheap labour countries?
 
Galwayman
Posts: 343
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:20 am

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:11 pm

They should really launch from Dublin. UK is a mess with APD and Dublin offers lots more self connect opportunities than any U.K. airport including dreadful Heathrow
 
mcdu
Posts: 1267
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:23 am

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:19 pm

BlueTrue wrote:
Can you only find articles that are years old? Hardly unbiased are they? I assume people who support these arguements don't buy imported goods from cheap labour countries?


The article age doesn’t change the facts. Those all
Still apply today.

NOrwegian has produced a product that is clearly unsustainable with the cash burn that is on going.

Pulling up stakes and trying to hit pay dirt in Canada is just tossing money away. They will keep moving the pieces until the money runs out.

What happens in the event of an accident on one of these subleased carriers that is filling in for the grounded 787’s? The families would face a nightmare of finding accountability.
 
slcdeltarumd11
Posts: 3846
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:30 am

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:32 pm

Norweigan offers a really solid product. Hard to complain. Compared to Rogue the norweigan product and experience is light years better. Rogue has the edge of being established as a LCC for so long . Wish them luck, I do see them working might just be a challenge.
 
WaywardMemphian
Posts: 994
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:05 pm

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:37 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
skipness1E wrote:
@patrickz80 why is every post you make about how bad APD is for the UK economy and why we should all self connect offshore? I don’t get the obsession you have with a tax in another country? It’s not as if growth has really fallen away or anything.....


Because I do like Norwegian, they are one of my favourite airlines. They serve a good number of interesting destinations, but for me every destination served from the UK only is useless. In theory the APD should not apply to me if I only transfer in the UK, but theory and practice are two different things. The problem is that I cannot transfer in the UK because they don't fly from anywhere around here to the UK. My local airport is Amsterdam, but Norwegian doesn't fly Amsterdam - Gatwick.

The APD is making the tickets so much more expensive that they're simply not interesting anymore. There is a certain limit I'm willing to pay for a flight ticket, if it's more than that then I'm simply not flying. The APD is the main reason tickets become too expensive. I want to go to all those destinations that Norwegian flies to and I want to fly there on Norwegian, but it should also be affordable. As it is now, it's not.

I'm not saying they should serve all those destinations from Amsterdam. Sure, that would be convenient for me but I don't mind transfering. Lots of destinations are served from for example Copenhagen. And no surprise, the tickets out of Copenhagen are a whole lot cheaper than the tickets out of Gatwick. Now that's what I call interesting fares, that's in line with what I'm willing to pay.

I'm projecting my personal situation on people in the rest of Europe. Because, let's face it, most people live in an area that's not served by Norwegian from Gatwick. Often they live in an area not served by Norwegian at all, but they still want to fly Norwegian. This goes for the UK as well as mainland Europe. All of those people should be able to fly Norwegian, not just the few living near Gatwick and the few places in Europe served from Gatwick. They can't fly long haul from all those airports that are their local airports, but they can make sure those people can get to their long haul hubs. And looking from that point of view, Gatwick is just not a good choice.


Whatever works.

I just helped a Coworker book flights for his relatives in Spain to Northwest Arkansas for an extended stay Norwegian BCN /EWR non stop then American to XNA nonstop 500 bucks each way per person.
 
Leslieville
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:56 pm

In the longer term, I hope that Norwegian will serve YVR. It would be great to have a year-round low cost option for Europe. I got lucky with a sale on Condor last year with a one-way (returned on points) $200 all in fare to Frankfurt. It was a wholly new experience to fly internationally so cheap. Would do it again in a heartbeat.
 
mcdu
Posts: 1267
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:23 am

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:16 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
skipness1E wrote:
@patrickz80 why is every post you make about how bad APD is for the UK economy and why we should all self connect offshore? I don’t get the obsession you have with a tax in another country? It’s not as if growth has really fallen away or anything.....


Because I do like Norwegian, they are one of my favourite airlines. They serve a good number of interesting destinations, but for me every destination served from the UK only is useless. In theory the APD should not apply to me if I only transfer in the UK, but theory and practice are two different things. The problem is that I cannot transfer in the UK because they don't fly from anywhere around here to the UK. My local airport is Amsterdam, but Norwegian doesn't fly Amsterdam - Gatwick.

The APD is making the tickets so much more expensive that they're simply not interesting anymore. There is a certain limit I'm willing to pay for a flight ticket, if it's more than that then I'm simply not flying. The APD is the main reason tickets become too expensive. I want to go to all those destinations that Norwegian flies to and I want to fly there on Norwegian, but it should also be affordable. As it is now, it's not.

I'm not saying they should serve all those destinations from Amsterdam. Sure, that would be convenient for me but I don't mind transfering. Lots of destinations are served from for example Copenhagen. And no surprise, the tickets out of Copenhagen are a whole lot cheaper than the tickets out of Gatwick. Now that's what I call interesting fares, that's in line with what I'm willing to pay.

I'm projecting my personal situation on people in the rest of Europe. Because, let's face it, most people live in an area that's not served by Norwegian from Gatwick. Often they live in an area not served by Norwegian at all, but they still want to fly Norwegian. This goes for the UK as well as mainland Europe. All of those people should be able to fly Norwegian, not just the few living near Gatwick and the few places in Europe served from Gatwick. They can't fly long haul from all those airports that are their local airports, but they can make sure those people can get to their long haul hubs. And looking from that point of view, Gatwick is just not a good choice.


Whatever works.

I just helped a Coworker book flights for his relatives in Spain to Northwest Arkansas for an extended stay Norwegian BCN /EWR non stop then American to XNA nonstop 500 bucks each way per person.



What happens if the NOrwegian flight misconnects the AA flight or vice versa?
 
skipness1E
Posts: 4099
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:18 am

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:31 pm

Galwayman wrote:
They should really launch from Dublin. UK is a mess with APD and Dublin offers lots more self connect opportunities than any U.K. airport including dreadful Heathrow

In what way is the UK a mess with APD? I mean come off it mate. Self connecting long haul is a niche trick for those REALLY struck for cash. If you miss your one daily unprotected connection on DY because your inbound Ryanair was late, then trying to save a hundred Euros just cost you about a grand to get home to the US on the next day's D8 or even an Aer Lingus flight connecting out of Heathrow. Unprotected connections on long haul is a mug's game, cos if it goes wrong, you might just find yourself on the wrong side of the Atlantic without funds to get you home.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DUB-CA Scheduled 2017S
AC/WS/EI 28 flights per week + TS

LON-CA
AC/WS/BA 138 flights per week + TS

That's a 5X multiple
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DUB-US
EI/AA/D8/DL/ET/UA 179 + flights per week

LON-US
BA/VS/AA/DL/UA/DY 840 flights per week
Also a 5X mulitple
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APD is the cost of doing business, like flying to Canada has enormous airport charges factored into your ticket, YYZ used to and still may be THE most expenisve airport on Earth and yet Norwegian are looking to launch flights to Canada, a market quite clearly NOT on it's knees. DUB is a great airport to fly out of BUT it's pretty expensive as it's er....quite nice. The airport authority are looking to build and fund a new runway as well as expand the terminals. T2 is now full at the times when long haul wants to fly, indeed it annoyed more than a few that D8 were allowed into T2 at all.
Last edited by skipness1E on Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
Galwayman
Posts: 343
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:20 am

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:35 pm

You’re in denial obviously

Ireland has a much smaller population and is punching above its weight . The U.K. still has advantage when it comes to Jeddah and Riyadh obviously ...
 
wave46
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:02 am

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:36 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
Norweigan offers a really solid product. Hard to complain. Compared to Rogue the norweigan product and experience is light years better. Rogue has the edge of being established as a LCC for so long . Wish them luck, I do see them working might just be a challenge.


It might be a great product at the price, but I'm leery of any airline that is on shaky financial ground. I don't really want to find out that I'm stranded should an airline collapse.

Rouge - while not exactly a super great product - at least will reliably get me to and from a place, due to the backing of Air Canada. Peace of mind is worth something.
 
WaywardMemphian
Posts: 994
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:05 pm

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:37 pm

mcdu wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:

Because I do like Norwegian, they are one of my favourite airlines. They serve a good number of interesting destinations, but for me every destination served from the UK only is useless. In theory the APD should not apply to me if I only transfer in the UK, but theory and practice are two different things. The problem is that I cannot transfer in the UK because they don't fly from anywhere around here to the UK. My local airport is Amsterdam, but Norwegian doesn't fly Amsterdam - Gatwick.

The APD is making the tickets so much more expensive that they're simply not interesting anymore. There is a certain limit I'm willing to pay for a flight ticket, if it's more than that then I'm simply not flying. The APD is the main reason tickets become too expensive. I want to go to all those destinations that Norwegian flies to and I want to fly there on Norwegian, but it should also be affordable. As it is now, it's not.

I'm not saying they should serve all those destinations from Amsterdam. Sure, that would be convenient for me but I don't mind transfering. Lots of destinations are served from for example Copenhagen. And no surprise, the tickets out of Copenhagen are a whole lot cheaper than the tickets out of Gatwick. Now that's what I call interesting fares, that's in line with what I'm willing to pay.

I'm projecting my personal situation on people in the rest of Europe. Because, let's face it, most people live in an area that's not served by Norwegian from Gatwick. Often they live in an area not served by Norwegian at all, but they still want to fly Norwegian. This goes for the UK as well as mainland Europe. All of those people should be able to fly Norwegian, not just the few living near Gatwick and the few places in Europe served from Gatwick. They can't fly long haul from all those airports that are their local airports, but they can make sure those people can get to their long haul hubs. And looking from that point of view, Gatwick is just not a good choice.


Whatever works.

I just helped a Coworker book flights for his relatives in Spain to Northwest Arkansas for an extended stay Norwegian BCN /EWR non stop then American to XNA nonstop 500 bucks each way per person.



What happens if the NOrwegian flight misconnects the AA flight or vice versa?

They left a good 12 hrs in between and trip insurance.
 
skipness1E
Posts: 4099
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:18 am

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:39 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
Norweigan offers a really solid product. Hard to complain. Compared to Rogue the norweigan product and experience is light years better. Rogue has the edge of being established as a LCC for so long . Wish them luck, I do see them working might just be a challenge.

Agree 100%, I just really think there's a lot of good people's jobs at risks with the current going for broke strategy. Great product, great price. crazy ambtitions int eh timeframe.
 
BlueTrue
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:09 pm

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:50 pm

Some on here don't seem to know that Belfast is exempt from ADP on long-haul flights. If you're not sure where Belfast is, it is Northern Ireland.
 
skipness1E
Posts: 4099
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:18 am

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:53 pm

Galwayman wrote:
You’re in denial obviously

Ireland has a much smaller population and is punching above its weight . The U.K. still has advantage when it comes to Jeddah and Riyadh obviously ...


Dublin does really well, not so much ORK, SNN has good local point to point. London is (one of) the biggest business and tourist destinations on Earth, denial is not just a river in Egypt x
London has 2X the population of Ireland and 5X the volume of flights and > 6X the volume of seats....
Dublin punches well above UK regions, that's fair, but the UK is far from being in ruins just yet, despite #brexit being the excuse for everything going wrong every time a sparrow farts!
Last edited by skipness1E on Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 2440
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:54 pm

skipness1E wrote:
Galwayman wrote:
They should really launch from Dublin. UK is a mess with APD and Dublin offers lots more self connect opportunities than any U.K. airport including dreadful Heathrow

In what way is the UK a mess with APD? I mean come off it mate.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DUB-CA Scheduled 2017S
AC/WS/EI 28 flights per week + TS

LON-CA
AC/WS/BA 138 flights per week + TS

That's a 5X multiple
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DUB-US
EI/AA/D8/DL/ET/UA 179 + flights per week

LON-US
BA/VS/AA/DL/UA/DY 840 flights per week
Also a 5X mulitple
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APD is the cost of doing business, like flying to Canada has enormous airport charges factored into your ticket, YYZ used to and still may be THE most expenisve airport on Earth and yet Norwegian are looking to launch flights to Canada, a market from being on it's knees. DUB is a great airport to fly out of BUT it's pretty expensive as it's er....quite nice. The airport authority are looking to build and fund a new runway as well as expand the terminals. T2 is now full at the times when long haul wants to fly, indeed it annoyed more than a few that D8 were allowed into T2 at all.


Of course there are far more flights between London and the USA than there are between Dublin and the USA. By far most of those flights are on legacy airlines who focus primarely on convenience. Those legacy airlines also all got a large feeder network into Europe that helps them fill their aircraft. But LCC is a different product. LCC travelers are willing to sacrifice convenience in order to get a lower ticket price. That requires another way of thinking. Legacy passengers just pay the fare no matter how much it is, LCC passengers don't. They only fly if it's cheap, so you constantly have to take care that you're the cheapest. Each time, over and over again. Not just compared to non-stop but also compared to one-stop competition and competition from alternative airports and at alternative times. LCC passengers aren't picky, they're flexible. If they can get a cheaper deal at another time or from another airport, you lose them.

PS wouldn't it be possible for Norwegian (or whatever airline) that wants to fly from Dublin to the USA to do so from terminal 1? Sure, there's no pre-clearance in terminal 1 but do you have to? Is it possible for an airline to operate a Dublin - USA flight uncleared despite pre-clearance being available? The flight would drop the passengers off at the international arrivals at the destination airport in the USA so clearance can take place there like it was from a European airport without pre-clearance. I think there would be demand for this because pre-clearance costs money and some airlines might want to avoid that.
 
Galwayman
Posts: 343
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:20 am

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:55 pm

The Republic has about 6% of the population of the British Kingdom yet has about 20% of the the Candian/USA flights

It’s a win for the republic , punching above its weight ... easily
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 2440
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:56 pm

BlueTrue wrote:
Some on here don't seem to know that Belfast is exempt from ADP on long-haul flights. If you're not sure where Belfast is, it is Northern Ireland.


I didn't know that, but I'll keep it in mind.
 
Mangs
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:09 pm

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:57 pm

mcdu wrote:
Mangs wrote:
mcdu wrote:

Huge problem with the one card Monte that Norwegian does with certificates. What planes are attached to each certificate to offshore employees and circumvent local labor rules is a sign that no one should trust a company that uses these tactics for travel.


Wait, what?

They use their AOCs as tools to get traffic rights to and from different markets. If they could use one they most probably would.

Please provide a valid source for your claims regarding offshore employees and circumvent local labor rules.


articles about NOrwegian and the need for alter egos to circumvent labor and air transport laws

http://ttd.org/news-and-media/ttd-in-the-news/the-foreigner-stop-norwegian-airs-descent-into-low-road-labor-policies/

http://www3.alpa.org/portals/Alpa/deptpages/communications/sos/NAI_FactSheet_110714.pdf


Really? Using two sources, both from 2014, and one of them is ALPA?
:sarcastic:
 
skipness1E
Posts: 4099
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:18 am

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:00 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Of course there are far more flights between London and the USA than there are between Dublin and the USA. By far most of those flights are on legacy airlines who focus primarely on convenience. Those legacy airlines also all got a large feeder network into Europe that helps them fill their aircraft. But LCC is a different product. LCC travelers are willing to sacrifice convenience in order to get a lower ticket price. That requires another way of thinking. Legacy passengers just pay the fare no matter how much it is, LCC passengers don't. They only fly if it's cheap, so you constantly have to take care that you're the cheapest. Each time, over and over again. Not just compared to non-stop but also compared to one-stop competition and competition from alternative airports and at alternative times. LCC passengers aren't picky, they're flexible. If they can get a cheaper deal at another time or from another airport, you lose them.

To say legacy passengers just pay the fare regardless is clearly wrong. You must be aware that one of the issues on here is that legacy airlines like BA, are squeezing more passengers into their aircraft to keep their prices down. Loads of people fly BA/VS/AA/DL/UA because on the day, they're the best deal.
You're really keen man, I love that but I get the idea you don't fly much, which is a shame. There's lots of other factprs that the market looks at rather than just the headling airfare. A lot can go wrong on a self connection!!
 
EvanWSFO
Posts: 483
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:22 pm

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:57 am

peterinlisbon wrote:
Norweigan is by far the best translatlantic airline I have ever flown. I wish them good luck on this route.


Either you haven't flown TATL a lot, or you've stuck sitting by lavs on other airlines. Rouge has a more comfortable experience than DI, and on older planes.
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 1631
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:50 pm

Authorities have granted licence to operate scheduled flights to Europe and well as non scheduled charters between Canada and Ireland.

https://otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/decisions
 
 
User avatar
cirrusdragoon
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:42 pm

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:25 pm

 
Aliqiout
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:10 pm

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:05 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
mcdu wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:

Whatever works.

I just helped a Coworker book flights for his relatives in Spain to Northwest Arkansas for an extended stay Norwegian BCN /EWR non stop then American to XNA nonstop 500 bucks each way per person.



What happens if the NOrwegian flight misconnects the AA flight or vice versa?

They left a good 12 hrs in between and trip insurance.

What kind if travel insurance provides meanigfull coverage for an outbound missed self connection?
 
9252fly
Posts: 897
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:19 am

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:41 pm

cumulushumilis wrote:


Interpreting Norwegian's leaves me wonders if they have a problem financing the aircraft, I don't see it as a Boeing production issue. Delaying a year to allow Canadian's time to get to know Norwegian is also time for competitors to position themselves for their eventual entry into the market.
 
EvanWSFO
Posts: 483
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:22 pm

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:18 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:
Norweigan is by far the best translatlantic airline I have ever flown. I wish them good luck on this route.


Seriously? It was the most agonizing round trip I've ever taken, and I've flown some pretty crappy airlines.
 
User avatar
aerolimani
Posts: 843
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:46 pm

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:06 am

9252fly wrote:
Interpreting Norwegian's leaves me wonders if they have a problem financing the aircraft, I don't see it as a Boeing production issue. Delaying a year to allow Canadian's time to get to know Norwegian is also time for competitors to position themselves for their eventual entry into the market.


According to the Bloomberg article posted by cirrusdragoon, the delay is waiting for engines (CFM/Safran), and not the aircraft itself (Boeing).

“We got a slight delay, not much, but it gave us a month shorter pre-sale period,” Kjos said at the carrier’s headquarters in Fornebu, near Oslo, adding that the hitch stems from issues with 737 engines made by the CFM International venture of General Electric Co. and France’s Safran SA.

GE aero-engines chief David Joyce said on March 14 that CFM deliveries to Boeing and for Airbus’s rival A320neo were about six weeks behind schedule. That delay has now been reduced to “about a month,” according to CFM spokesman Jamie Jewell. Boeing declined to comment.
 
Galwayman
Posts: 343
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:20 am

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:47 am

skipness1E wrote:
Galwayman wrote:
They should really launch from Dublin. UK is a mess with APD and Dublin offers lots more self connect opportunities than any U.K. airport including dreadful Heathrow

In what way is the UK a mess with APD? I mean come off it mate. Self connecting long haul is a niche trick for those REALLY struck for cash. If you miss your one daily unprotected connection on DY because your inbound Ryanair was late, then trying to save a hundred Euros just cost you about a grand to get home to the US on the next day's D8 or even an Aer Lingus flight connecting out of Heathrow. Unprotected connections on long haul is a mug's game, cos if it goes wrong, you might just find yourself on the wrong side of the Atlantic without funds to get you home.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DUB-CA Scheduled 2017S
AC/WS/EI 28 flights per week + TS

LON-CA
AC/WS/BA 138 flights per week + TS

That's a 5X multiple
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DUB-US
EI/AA/D8/DL/ET/UA 179 + flights per week

LON-US
BA/VS/AA/DL/UA/DY 840 flights per week
Also a 5X mulitple
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APD is the cost of doing business, like flying to Canada has enormous airport charges factored into your ticket, YYZ used to and still may be THE most expenisve airport on Earth and yet Norwegian are looking to launch flights to Canada, a market quite clearly NOT on it's knees. DUB is a great airport to fly

out of BUT it's pretty expensive as it's er....quite nice. The airport authority are looking to build and fund a new runway as well as expand the terminals. T2 is now full at the times when long haul wants to fly, indeed it annoyed more than a few that D8 were allowed into T2 at all.



No need to Ryanair to Dublin at all, the UK is NOT an island - it has a land border,lots of UK people will just drive an hour or 2 across the border to use Dublin Airport . Saves them a fortune and they get a great range of transatlantic flights to choose from.
 
Galwayman
Posts: 343
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:20 am

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:20 am

And the winner is Dublin, flights start March 2019

Because of the ADP situation obviously
 
Cunard
Posts: 1467
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:39 am

Galwayman wrote:
And the winner is Dublin, flights start March 2019

Because of the ADP situation obviously


Considering that you state ''obviously'' I suggest that you get it right as it's,

APD as in Air Passenger Duty NOT ADP!

BTW ADP is not a situation it's a fact of life and it hasn't really affected the ever increasing millions of passengers flying from the U.K.

Ireland is welcome to get this service from Norwegian we don't want anymore of this crap airline expanding at LGW especially to Canada where there is enough competition already from Air Canada Rouge, Air Transat, British Airways and Westjet plus Air Canada and British Airways from LHR that all fly to Toronto rather than the second rate airport that is Hamilton.

Norwegian might not even be around by the time this flight is scheduled to start!
 
L0VE2FLY
Posts: 938
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:54 pm

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:57 am

Good luck! I'd like to see their Canada flights continue to the US to some underserved markets if they have the traffic rights, on top of my wishlist is London/Paris/Ireland-Toronto/Montreal-San Diego.
 
opticalilyushin
Posts: 529
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:35 pm

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:37 am

I saw prices of €189 each way quoted to Hamilton..if that is true I don't think it's a low price. By comparison Air Canada is often considered expensive but I'm flying with them next year, and my return ticket from Dublin, and with various connecting domestic flights was not much more expensive than a return Norwegian flight.
 
andymartin
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:57 pm

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:56 am

Does anyone seriously think that this basket case of an airline will still exist next March?!
 
Galwayman
Posts: 343
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:20 am

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:21 am

Cunard wrote:
Galwayman wrote:
And the winner is Dublin, flights start March 2019

Because of the ADP situation obviously


Considering that you state ''obviously'' I suggest that you get it right as it's,

APD as in Air Passenger Duty NOT ADP!

BTW ADP is not a situation it's a fact of life and it hasn't really affected the ever increasing millions of passengers flying from the U.K.

Ireland is welcome to get this service from Norwegian we don't want anymore of this crap airline expanding at LGW especially to Canada where there is enough competition already from Air Canada Rouge, Air Transat, British Airways and Westjet plus Air Canada and British Airways from LHR that all fly to Toronto rather than the second rate airport that is Hamilton.

Norwegian might not even be around by the time this flight is scheduled to start!
y

It’s like there’s no U.K. aviation strategy or something , overtaxed , not able to build runways ..... possibly no EU flights next March , chin up old chap ....
 
Someone83
Posts: 3829
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:49 am

Galwayman wrote:
And the winner is Dublin, flights start March 2019

Because of the ADP situation obviously


Actually they are not the first. Norwegian will start Martinique and Guadaloupe to Montreal October/November 2018

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... er-449541/
 
skipness1E
Posts: 4099
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:18 am

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:15 pm

Cunard wrote:
Galwayman wrote:
And the winner is Dublin, flights start March 2019

Because of the ADP situation obviously


Considering that you state ''obviously'' I suggest that you get it right as it's,

APD as in Air Passenger Duty NOT ADP!

BTW ADP is not a situation it's a fact of life and it hasn't really affected the ever increasing millions of passengers flying from the U.K.

Ireland is welcome to get this service from Norwegian we don't want anymore of this crap airline expanding at LGW especially to Canada where there is enough competition already from Air Canada Rouge, Air Transat, British Airways and Westjet plus Air Canada and British Airways from LHR that all fly to Toronto rather than the second rate airport that is Hamilton.

Norwegian might not even be around by the time this flight is scheduled to start!

Air Canada Rouge have quietly dropped LGW, bookings were closed a few months back, mainly because BA flying 777s was too much capacity. If D8 think they can win here, only the customer will be the winner...
 
skipness1E
Posts: 4099
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:18 am

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:17 pm

Galwayman wrote:
No need to Ryanair to Dublin at all, the UK is NOT an island - it has a land border,lots of UK people will just drive an hour or 2 across the border to use Dublin Airport . Saves them a fortune and they get a great range of transatlantic flights to choose from.


Norn Iron has DUB as a good option, nothing wrong with that, but it's pretty low yield and price sensitive, and vastly seasonal. Changed days from the old North/South situation.
 
MartijnNL
Posts: 352
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:44 am

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:22 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
peterinlisbon wrote:
Norweigan is by far the best translatlantic airline I have ever flown. I wish them good luck on this route.

What made them better than the other ones?

peterinlisbon, so far three people have reacted at your statement. Maybe you could tell us what makes Norwegian the best transatlantic airline?
 
MartijnNL
Posts: 352
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:44 am

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:24 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:
Norweigan is by far the best translatlantic airline I have ever flown. I wish them good luck on this route.

peterinlisbon, so far three people have reacted at your statement. Maybe you could tell us what makes Norwegian the best transatlantic airline?
 
Thenoflyzone
Topic Author
Posts: 2672
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2001 4:42 am

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:53 pm

Someone83 wrote:
Galwayman wrote:
And the winner is Dublin, flights start March 2019

Because of the ADP situation obviously


Actually they are not the first. Norwegian will start Martinique and Guadaloupe to Montreal October/November 2018

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... er-449541/


Indeed. PTP starts Nov 2. FDF Nov 1.

PTP0800-1145YUL B738 135
YUL1255-1850PTP B738 135

FDF0800-1205YUL B738 246
YUL1325-1925FDF B738 246

Link in french only.

http://www.air-journal.fr/2018-06-21-an ... m=facebook
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!
 
whywhyzee
Posts: 570
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:12 pm

skipness1E wrote:
Cunard wrote:
Galwayman wrote:
And the winner is Dublin, flights start March 2019

Because of the ADP situation obviously


Considering that you state ''obviously'' I suggest that you get it right as it's,

APD as in Air Passenger Duty NOT ADP!

BTW ADP is not a situation it's a fact of life and it hasn't really affected the ever increasing millions of passengers flying from the U.K.

Ireland is welcome to get this service from Norwegian we don't want anymore of this crap airline expanding at LGW especially to Canada where there is enough competition already from Air Canada Rouge, Air Transat, British Airways and Westjet plus Air Canada and British Airways from LHR that all fly to Toronto rather than the second rate airport that is Hamilton.

Norwegian might not even be around by the time this flight is scheduled to start!

Air Canada Rouge have quietly dropped LGW, bookings were closed a few months back, mainly because BA flying 777s was too much capacity. If D8 think they can win here, only the customer will be the winner...


Not to mention Primera, who now serves YYZ from STN. Dropping LGW will probably help AC's, and YYZ in general's flights top LHR, numbers have been dropping over the past couple years, and BA has taken a huge hit, moving YYZ from one of its more important international flights to arguably an afterthought. While LCC service is great, I'd really like to see AC and especially BA step things up to LHR again and bring those numbers back up.
 
CrawleyBen
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:22 am

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:02 pm

skipness1E wrote:
Cunard wrote:
Galwayman wrote:
And the winner is Dublin, flights start March 2019

Because of the ADP situation obviously


Considering that you state ''obviously'' I suggest that you get it right as it's,

APD as in Air Passenger Duty NOT ADP!

BTW ADP is not a situation it's a fact of life and it hasn't really affected the ever increasing millions of passengers flying from the U.K.

Ireland is welcome to get this service from Norwegian we don't want anymore of this crap airline expanding at LGW especially to Canada where there is enough competition already from Air Canada Rouge, Air Transat, British Airways and Westjet plus Air Canada and British Airways from LHR that all fly to Toronto rather than the second rate airport that is Hamilton.

Norwegian might not even be around by the time this flight is scheduled to start!

Air Canada Rouge have quietly dropped LGW, bookings were closed a few months back, mainly because BA flying 777s was too much capacity. If D8 think they can win here, only the customer will be the winner...


It was mentioned to me via a member of Air Canada staff at Heathrow a week or two back that Rouge won't be returning to Gatwick this summer. The airline decided to add Reykjavik/Keflavik instead from what I was told.

Cheers

Ben
 
Cunard
Posts: 1467
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:59 am

CrawleyBen wrote:
skipness1E wrote:
Cunard wrote:

Considering that you state ''obviously'' I suggest that you get it right as it's,

APD as in Air Passenger Duty NOT ADP!

BTW ADP is not a situation it's a fact of life and it hasn't really affected the ever increasing millions of passengers flying from the U.K.

Ireland is welcome to get this service from Norwegian we don't want anymore of this crap airline expanding at LGW especially to Canada where there is enough competition already from Air Canada Rouge, Air Transat, British Airways and Westjet plus Air Canada and British Airways from LHR that all fly to Toronto rather than the second rate airport that is Hamilton.

Norwegian might not even be around by the time this flight is scheduled to start!

Air Canada Rouge have quietly dropped LGW, bookings were closed a few months back, mainly because BA flying 777s was too much capacity. If D8 think they can win here, only the customer will be the winner...


It was mentioned to me via a member of Air Canada staff at Heathrow a week or two back that Rouge won't be returning to Gatwick this summer. The airline decided to add Reykjavik/Keflavik instead from what I was told.

Cheers

Ben


It seems that Air Canada Rouge has dropped YYZ to LGW.

I'm surprised that it hasn't been mentioned in these forums up to now, I haven't seen anything official regarding this and even ch.aviation hasn't picked it up but after looking into it myself it's definitely gone but unsurprising considering the competition from BA, TS and WS.

I guess AC can now concentrate on LHR rather than fight it out at LGW in an already saturated market.
 
by738
Posts: 2718
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2000 7:59 am

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:20 am

Cunard wrote:
I'm surprised that it hasn't been mentioned.

Was all over other forums. Perhaps a short peak summer season from a lowcost offshoot in an over saturated market just not that interesting anymore
 
drgmobile
Posts: 936
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:06 am

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:37 am

This "news" is out of date. As I believe has already been discussed, the airline is delaying the start of commercial service until spring of 2019 due to delays in receiving aircraft.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ery-delays
 
peterinlisbon
Posts: 1172
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:37 am

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:00 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
MartijnNL wrote:
peterinlisbon wrote:
Norweigan is by far the best translatlantic airline I have ever flown. I wish them good luck on this route.

What made them better than the other ones?

peterinlisbon, so far three people have reacted at your statement. Maybe you could tell us what makes Norwegian the best transatlantic airline?


I found the service excellent, the seat comfortable, the inflight entertainment system worked very well and the plane was a brand-new 787. Also, the price was incredible (99$ from San Francisco to London).
 
Whiteguy
Posts: 1267
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:11 am

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:03 pm

CrawleyBen wrote:
skipness1E wrote:
Cunard wrote:

Considering that you state ''obviously'' I suggest that you get it right as it's,

APD as in Air Passenger Duty NOT ADP!

BTW ADP is not a situation it's a fact of life and it hasn't really affected the ever increasing millions of passengers flying from the U.K.

Ireland is welcome to get this service from Norwegian we don't want anymore of this crap airline expanding at LGW especially to Canada where there is enough competition already from Air Canada Rouge, Air Transat, British Airways and Westjet plus Air Canada and British Airways from LHR that all fly to Toronto rather than the second rate airport that is Hamilton.

Norwegian might not even be around by the time this flight is scheduled to start!

Air Canada Rouge have quietly dropped LGW, bookings were closed a few months back, mainly because BA flying 777s was too much capacity. If D8 think they can win here, only the customer will be the winner...


It was mentioned to me via a member of Air Canada staff at Heathrow a week or two back that Rouge won't be returning to Gatwick this summer. The airline decided to add Reykjavik/Keflavik instead from what I was told.

Cheers

Ben


Keflavik was added last summer with a Rouge A319, this summer it was switched to mainline with the MAX. Don't think there's any connection to the LGW operating or not.
 
MartijnNL
Posts: 352
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:44 am

Re: Norwegian Air Intl plans Canada launch on July 23, 2018

Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:08 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:
I found the service excellent, the seat comfortable, the inflight entertainment system worked very well and the plane was a brand-new 787. Also, the price was incredible (99$ from San Francisco to London).

That makes sense. Considering the fare it sounds almost to good to be true.

So far I have stayed away from the 787, because I hear stories of crew dimming them to the darkest setting. I am also not a fan of the 3-3-3 economy seating.

But maybe I should give Norwegian a try once. When KLM no longer operates their 747's and SAS their A340's.
;)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos