Kikko19

Re: Qatar Airways Announces 12 new destinations

Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:18 am

Ferryflight wrote:
Argh, Tallin over Gothenburg?

Come on!!!!
for TLL a a320 is enough. Got needs a 788, maybe they don't have it available yet

passyflyer

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:02 am

Freshside3 wrote:
sassiciai wrote:
LUX is a surprise for me

Qatar already serves BRU, CDG, FRA, and other destinations not too far away. I am relatively price-conscious in my booking decisions, but it would have to be an absolutely rock-bottom fare LUX - MNL via DOH to get me off flights from BRU! Like €200 less return, given the hassle and time to get from home (close to BRU) by train to LUX, or on the E411 with parking issues. Even as I write this, I am not sure that €200 would be enough to tempt me to try!

Also the threat to me that it will likely be a 787 with 9-abreast in the area I can afford to sit in means that it is not a great choice for me!

The LUX area is not a high-density population area, and not all that many big cities nearby in neighbouring France or Germany either!

Oh well, what do I know! Good luck to them, I say!

I presume that this has something to do with freight. CargoLux does do a lot of freight business out of LUX. My guess that they can connect LUX with all the odd destinations in Australia, India, etc.....and at the same time, get some freight over to markets that CargoLux doesn't fly to.

I don‘t think so.

First they will probably use an A320 so there is not much capacity to carry cargo.

Second, Qatar Cargo already flies to LUX, mostly with an 777F, but also with their new 748F. I guess they have enough capacity to LUX as is.

Therefore they must see an opportunity for passengers. As LUX works well for Turkish Airlines, it could work for them too.

SRQKEF

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:45 am

Have they already maxed out their bilateral frequencies to Germany? If yes, could the LUX route also be a way around that to add capacity to the German market?
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

Faro

Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:27 am

lightsaber wrote:
LGWGate49 wrote:
AAB citing greater cooperation and their shareholding with BA/IAG for the return to LGW:

https://www.businesstraveller.com/busin ... n-gatwick/

Has QR (and EY) started to publish audited financial statements?

As an enthusiast, I'm happy for more connectivity. As someone who believes in a true free (and unsubsidised) markets, I really question QR's finances.

Notice I didn't include EK.

Lightsaber

That is the perennial question with all QR and EY posts...nice to have all the operational news...but what about the results?...

For airlines which may easily be run as state-subsidised economic showpieces, profitability is key...

Faro
The chalice not my son

passyflyer

Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:44 am

SRQKEF wrote:
Have they already maxed out their bilateral frequencies to Germany? If yes, could the LUX route also be a way around that to add capacity to the German market?

Not sure about the bilateral with Germany, but they won‘t be able to catch a significant part of the german market from LUX. Population density in Germany close to the LUX border is rather low, there is the city of Trier of course but that‘s about it.

However LUX is far more convenient for customers from the French region of Lorraine than CDG. And that‘s nearly a market of 2.5 million people without an important airport ...

VFRonTop

Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:47 am

passyflyer wrote:

Second, Qatar Cargo already flies to LUX, mostly with an 777F, but also with their new 748F. I guess they have enough capacity to LUX as is.

avgeek fact: Qatar Cargo operates Doha-Luxembourg-Atlanta-Pittsburgh-Luxembourg-Doha :D

Slash787

Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:00 am

What aircraft they will use for Tallin and Luxembourg?

Kikko19

Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:15 am

Slash787 wrote:
What aircraft they will use for Tallin and Luxembourg?

my 2 cents for a320 to TLL, maybe a321... no chance to see a332 or 788, lux might have the same fate but if they need more cargo or the catchment area is bigger maybe 788/332/333?

stylo777

Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:26 am

well, all those 320's have to fly somewhere. they have more than 45 in operation and many more to join the fleet.
congrats to QR for turning a disadvantage (not allowed to serve surrounding countries) to an advantage in terms of market coverage.

Slash787

Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:35 am

I thought of A321.

A330 and B787 are too big for those routes.

offloaded

Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:21 pm

efpmeneses wrote:
They talk about opening Lisbon for som many time, that i dnt get too much expectation about that.
I'll wait for the schedule to be available and the booking opened, and then i will believe.
They even anounced that they would open Lisbon in the last 2 years and nothing happened...

Exactly. When it's loaded in the GDS/website I'll believe it, and so far it isn't so...
To no one will we sell, or deny, or delay, right or justice - Magna Carta, 1215

miguel0881

Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:57 pm

Well QR was filling in for BA last summer on the LHR-LUX route during the strike, so wonder if that got the QR route planners thinking....

Luxair

Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:54 pm

passyflyer wrote:
SRQKEF wrote:

Not sure about the bilateral with Germany, but they won‘t be able to catch a significant part of the german market from LUX. Population density in Germany close to the LUX border is rather low, there is the city of Trier of course but that‘s about it.

However LUX is far more convenient for customers from the French region of Lorraine than CDG. And that‘s nearly a market of 2.5 million people without an important airport ...

Well, there are other German cities like Bitburg, Bernkastel, Idar-Oberstein, Hermeskeil, Zweibrücken, Pirmasens, Kaiserslautern, Saarbrücken, Saarlouis whereby the last two are already served by Luxair. And in addition to this there are also French and Belgian cities in vicinity of LUX airport. So in my opinion, there is enough population around to make this route work be it with a smaller aircraft.

florens

Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:20 pm

FlyingHollander wrote:
QuawerAir wrote:
I expected to see Riga before Tallinn, even though AirBaltic serves Abu Dhabi and has a codeshare agreement with Etihad Airways.

Like you said, TLL doesn't have any routes to the ME or Asia, RIX has the AUH flight. Also Estonia is wealthier and Tallinn has more tourist draw than Riga.

I think QR can get traffic to Asia from TLL which until now used AY via HEL or TK via IST.
Kind regards, Florens

Cunard

Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:36 pm

miguel0881 wrote:
Well QR was filling in for BA last summer on the LHR-LUX route during the strike, so wonder if that got the QR route planners thinking....

Why would QR covering flights on behalf of BA on LHR to LUX have any reference to them starting DOH to LUX.

Ytraveller

Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:57 pm

pasu129 wrote:
Yet we are still waiting for DOH-LAS to start.

The CEO gave us an update, see this article: https://thepointsguy.com/2018/03/qatar- ... gas-plans/

We'll see how much longer it will take... At least they have included LAS (and SFO) on the New Destinations page of their website: https://www.qatarairways.com/en/new-destinations.html

Breathe

Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:20 pm

A pretty eclectic array of destinations!

I'm surprised MRU isn't on the list. Perhaps the blockade and issues with MK and EK (supposedly) pressuring the local authorities not to let them in, has put the breaks on this being a QR destination for the time being.

juliuswong

Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:30 pm

What a way to stick their fingers up at their neighbours!

Langkawi gets their flight now after Penang. Can't believe a big airline like QR put so much emphasis on Malaysia. Next up: Kota Kinabalu!
- Life is a journey, travel it well -

PerfectGriffin

Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:13 am

juliuswong wrote:

Langkawi gets their flight now after Penang. Can't believe a big airline like QR put so much emphasis on Malaysia. Next up: Kota Kinabalu!

Just shows the amount of untapped demand in destinations like Malaysia, Thailand, Turkey etc.

lightsaber

Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:06 am

Faro wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
LGWGate49 wrote:
AAB citing greater cooperation and their shareholding with BA/IAG for the return to LGW:

https://www.businesstraveller.com/busin ... n-gatwick/

Has QR (and EY) started to publish audited financial statements?

As an enthusiast, I'm happy for more connectivity. As someone who believes in a true free (and unsubsidised) markets, I really question QR's finances.

Notice I didn't include EK.

Lightsaber

That is the perennial question with all QR and EY posts...nice to have all the operational news...but what about the results?...

For airlines which may easily be run as state-subsidised economic showpieces, profitability is key...

Faro

I would love to see the profitability of divisions of QR. You know... Like a western annual report.

Expansion is neat, but if the fracking nations export more... There goes the energy subsidies.
You only have the first amendment with the 2nd. If you're not going to offend someone with what you say, you don't have the 1st.

florens

Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:41 am

Folks it is Tallinn (yes, two n's).
Kind regards, Florens

Kikko19

Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:47 am

florens wrote:
FlyingHollander wrote:
QuawerAir wrote:
I expected to see Riga before Tallinn, even though AirBaltic serves Abu Dhabi and has a codeshare agreement with Etihad Airways.

Like you said, TLL doesn't have any routes to the ME or Asia, RIX has the AUH flight. Also Estonia is wealthier and Tallinn has more tourist draw than Riga.

I think QR can get traffic to Asia from TLL which until now used AY via HEL or TK via IST.

in TLL already are speculating another ME3 is coming EK maybe (with flydubai of course)?

Qatara340
Topic Author

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:35 am

juliuswong wrote:

My colleague at work is from Miri, so he flies to Kota Kinabalu a lot.

QR has done an amazing job putting those A320s at use, and introducing the concept of summer seasonal destinations to QR. They can be used to test the waters to see if the destination should be put permanently.
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

sfjeff

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:40 am

PayaLebar wrote:
Luisvalero wrote:
What about Malaga?????

Why not Sevilla?

AGP handles more than three times as many passengers as SVQ and the Costa del Sol is a very popular summer destination for people from the Middle East. Also, Sevilla is much hotter than Málaga in the summer. The average daily high in Sevilla in July is 36ºC/96.8ºF, with Málaga being 30.5ºC/86.9ºF. That is a big difference, especially considering that there are beaches extremely close to AGP.
Jeff in Málaga

jjiglesias

Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:23 pm

Blockade to impose 'very large' loss on Qatar Airways: chief

07 MARCH, 2018 SOURCE: FLIGHT DASHBOARD BY: NIALL O'KEEFFE BERLIN
Qatar Airways is set to report a "very large loss" for its financial year ending later this month, group chief executive Akbar Al Baker confirmed today.

Speaking at the ITB travel trade fair in Berlin, Al Baker said that a blockade imposed by Qatar's neighbours was "putting a lot of financial strain" on the Oneworld carrier.

Qatar Airways has, he notes, been required to fly longer routes and use widebodies on routes previously operated with narrowbodies in order to carry additional fuel. This results in lower load factors and higher operational costs, both direct and fixed.

But although he expects it will announce a large loss for the current financial year, Al Baker stresses that the airline is "financially robust".

He adds: "Unfortunately, we do not have the luxury of Chapter 11 [US bankruptcy protection] so we have to persevere and find additional financial streams and investments, in order to continue our expansion even under the loss."

At the "right time", he warns, Qatar Airways will "claim for our losses" resulting from a blockade he considers illegal.

Al Baker says that by continuing to expand in difficult times, the airline has been "challenging all odds", as "adversaries thought we would shrink, we would park airplanes".

He argues that the blockade has in fact had "a positive effect" as "it made us determined to keep our march ahead and make so much waves in the aviation industry".

Of the cuts that Qatar Airways has had to make to its network as a result of the blockade, Al Baker says: "These destinations are not the whole world. There are so many other nice places in the world. We have not lost anything.

"As a matter of fact, it is their loss, to lose such an important airline but at the same time to lose what we always thought was a family member."

He adds: "We kept out country supplied, and we became prouder as a nation."

flightglobal.com

PerfectGriffin

Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:39 pm

jjiglesias wrote:

Qatar Airways is set to report a "very large loss" for its financial year ending later this month, group chief executive Akbar Al Baker confirmed today.

Speaking at the ITB travel trade fair in Berlin, Al Baker said that a blockade imposed by Qatar's neighbours was "putting a lot of financial strain" on the Oneworld carrier.

Qatar Airways has, he notes, been required to fly longer routes and use widebodies on routes previously operated with narrowbodies in order to carry additional fuel. This results in lower load factors and higher operational costs, both direct and fixed.

But although he expects it will announce a large loss for the current financial year, Al Baker stresses that the airline is "financially robust".

He adds: "Unfortunately, we do not have the luxury of Chapter 11 [US bankruptcy protection] so we have to persevere and find additional financial streams and investments, in order to continue our expansion even under the loss."

At the "right time", he warns, Qatar Airways will "claim for our losses" resulting from a blockade he considers illegal.

Al Baker says that by continuing to expand in difficult times, the airline has been "challenging all odds", as "adversaries thought we would shrink, we would park airplanes".

He argues that the blockade has in fact had "a positive effect" as "it made us determined to keep our march ahead and make so much waves in the aviation industry".

Of the cuts that Qatar Airways has had to make to its network as a result of the blockade, Al Baker says: "These destinations are not the whole world. There are so many other nice places in the world. We have not lost anything.

"As a matter of fact, it is their loss, to lose such an important airline but at the same time to lose what we always thought was a family member."

flightglobal.com

The media in the UAE is too funny. They've ignored QR's massive expansion in the past 6 months including their record results last year, whilst barely talking about EY's dire situation, but were quick to pick up this story of QR's expected large loss. Lol

https://www.thenational.ae/business/avi ... s-1.711376

CXfirst

Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:09 pm

neomax wrote:
I wonder if QR will overtake TK as the airline with the most destinations at some point in the future. They are growing faster than EK and definitely faster than TK. I think it's only a matter of time now.

Perhaps for now. However, as Istanbul opens its new airport, there will probably be some increased growth for TK.

lightsaber

Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:11 pm

PerfectGriffin wrote:
jjiglesias wrote:

flightglobal.com

The media in the UAE is too funny. They've ignored QR's massive expansion in the past 6 months including their record results last year, whilst barely talking about EY's dire situation, but were quick to pick up this story of QR's expected large loss. Lol

Huh? I couldn't on my phone Wade through enough news to get comment due to the Air Berlin bonds:
http://gulfbusiness.com/air-berlin-cred ... d-damages/

Etihad is trying to right size. QR is notoriously subsidized and is growing. I don't have a problem with domestic subsidies until break even. Any more than that is subsidizing competition.

Both QR and EY are a problem. Neither is ready for the new Istanbul airport. Neither is ready for Indigo to Europe. Seriously, if India hadn't had a protect AI aviation policy, none of the ME3 would be half their size. All it would take is hub infrastructure, policy, and a reasonable tax system. 30% tax on jet fuel says hub elsewhere.

Lightsaber
You only have the first amendment with the 2nd. If you're not going to offend someone with what you say, you don't have the 1st.

PerfectGriffin

Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:13 am

lightsaber wrote:
PerfectGriffin wrote:
jjiglesias wrote:

flightglobal.com

Huh? I couldn't on my phone Wade through enough news to get comment due to the Air Berlin bonds:
http://gulfbusiness.com/air-berlin-cred ... d-damages/

Etihad is trying to right size. QR is notoriously subsidized and is growing. I don't have a problem with domestic subsidies until break even. Any more than that is subsidizing competition.

Both QR and EY are a problem. Neither is ready for the new Istanbul airport. Neither is ready for Indigo to Europe. Seriously, if India hadn't had a protect AI aviation policy, none of the ME3 would be half their size. All it would take is hub infrastructure, policy, and a reasonable tax system. 30% tax on jet fuel says hub elsewhere.

Lightsaber

QR may be subsidized but its better than EY and generally has higher load factors. Also QR is backed by a government more eager to spend money to expand their airline. And If you haven't noticed, Abu Dhabi is very stingy with money and spends very little (mostly on employing local Emiratis in their country and keeping them happy).

klm617

Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:05 pm

A lot of interesting picks nothing really earth shattering with the current situation in Qatar they seem to be going adter pretty much secondary markets with little or no competition from the other gulf carriers.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

Kikko19

Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:15 pm

Swedes would like have some ME3 to GOT to connect to China, I wonder why QR didn't plan a route (even double daily with a320/321 ) there. missing range? the area is one of the richest in Europe and even if closed to SK hubs (osl/cph/arn) would be good to have one more stop connection to Asia article in swedish from flygtorget http://www.flygtorget.se/Aktuellt/Artikel/?Id=12568

Breathe

Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:00 pm

Any update on TLL or has it been quietly dropped/postponed until next year?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos