dcajet
Topic Author

CCS falling into a state of abandonment

Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:21 pm

In the 80s and 90s. CCS was one of the largest hubs in South America, with Concorde service to boot. It was a modern airport and its check in halls were decorated with the murals by Venezuelan chromatic artist, Cruz Diez, that in time became a trademark of the airport.

Fast forward 30 years and the airport has become a mirror of today's Venezuela: in a state of disrepair, airlines cancelling service, security cameras no longer work, an arriving passenger was robbed and killed last year, staff that gets robbed as they leave their shifts at night, ancient fuel pipes with contaminated jet fuel, and the list goes on.

And now the Venezuelan press reports another low: in addition to the very sad daily scenes of families saying their good byes as people leave from CCS in search of a better life abroad, these very same departing emigrants are taking with them pieces of Diez's mural as a souvenir of their country, What was once a trademark of this airport is now covered with entire patches of missing tiles product of years of disrepair and these new breed of collectors.

https://www.lapatilla.com/site/2018/03/ ... en-ruinas/
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

winGl3t

Re: CCS falling into a state of abandonment

Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:33 pm

Sad to see Venezuela his way, specially since I'm a fan of its people and of Cruz Diez (my family owns a small piece of art of this incredible artist).

LatinPlane

Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:56 pm

So sad. That art is so iconic of CCS. In general it is part of the modern art that was seen throughout Venezuela sending an image of being the most modern and prosperous country in Latin America.

It belongs to an era when the country was booming and no expense was too big for its ambitions.

Just love this old commercial of the Clipper Club in CCS, which was a gold mine destination for Pan Am at the time. A reminder of the good times in Venezuela.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XLr_6IA2gc
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

RJNUT

Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:36 pm

I believe I still have in my timetable collection the Viasa timetable featuring "Orinoco" B747.

atcsundevil

Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:49 pm

Political discussion belongs in Non Av. Discussion of politics as it directly relates to aviation and the topic is fine, but the intent of this forum is for discussion to be rooted in aviation.

✈️ atcsundevil

jsnww81

Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:39 pm

Sad to hear. I flew into CCS in the summer of 2005. Although Hugo Chavez was firmly in power then, the economic situation was still relatively stable and - at least to a visitor - things didn't feel all that different from other Latin American nations.

In fact, CCS had just opened the new immigration hall, baggage claim and sterile arrival corridor that had been built on top of the existing terminal. The rest of the terminal was very 1970s in design, but spotlessly clean and spacious, and far nicer than BOG, LIM or EZE were in those days. How times have changed...

tommyarias

Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:51 am

From what Venezuelans I know, part of the reason that they are taking parts of the murals is a symbolic move, that when they go back to the country they can put them back and "restore the country".

I wonder how long before AA, BW, CM, H8, and P5 stop flying to CCS.
"Insert Generic Signature or Quote" - Generic Name

MalevTU134

Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:33 am

tommyarias wrote:
From what Venezuelans I know, part of the reason that they are taking parts of the murals is a symbolic move, that when they go back to the country they can put them back and "restore the country".

I wonder how long before AA, BW, CM, H8, and P5 stop flying to CCS.

Most of it is actually wear and tear, and lack of repairs, of course...

AA just increased capacity by 10% on MIA-CCS, CM has no plans to leave, P5 left about a year ago and who are H8?

AntonioMartin

Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:03 am

Venezuela's in a sad state of disrepair. Chavez was not bad IMO., Maduro, now that man is bad. I have no idea whether Chavez knew of Maduro's bad side or not but IMO, Maduro is just a very bad person.

That said, I wonder how long until all Venezuelan airlines fail, with the possible exception of government backed Conviasa. Sadly, the situation at CCS reflects the economic situation at all of Venezuela.

atcsundevil

Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:20 am

Stick to aviation discussion or the thread will be locked. Political discussion belongs in Non Av.

✈️ atcsundevil

factsonly

Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:13 am

RJNUT wrote:
I believe I still have in my timetable collection the Viasa timetable featuring "Orinoco" B747.

This was in fact a KLM B747-206:

- Boeing 747-206 PH-BUG KLM Royal Dutch Airlines delivered Dec 1971 - Name: Orinoco / The Orinoco

This aircraft was the 170th B-747 built. It flew for the first time on November 22, 1971 and it was delivered to KLM on December 15 of the same year. Soon after delivery, some time between February and April of 1972, the Viasa livery was painted on the starboard side of PH-BUG´s fuselage as part of the ongoing collaboration between the two airlines during those years. At the same time the airplane was christened “Orinoco,” after Venezuela’s largest river. By wearing the KLM/Viasa hybrid livery, PH-BUG effectively became the first B-747 to operate for a Latin-American airline. PH-BUG operated with the KLM/Viasa livery until the end of 1973. It then was replaced with KLMs PH-DTG (later YV-134C), the first of many DC-10s that Viasa operated during its existence.

http://www.aviationphotocompany.com/p47 ... #h20cfbcd4

http://viasa400.wixsite.com/viasa400/bug

https://www.jetcollector.com/viasaklm-b ... -1200.html

ME720

Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:49 am

I flew into CCS X Mas 2007 from CDG on AF 747/400 and a few days later out of CCS on taca A320 to Lima .. was a Nice airport . AZ was flying in from FCO and MXP those days LH from FRA .. TP from LIS I think Also from OPO .. the country was already in decline.. But I had a wonderful time in CCS and the people are Just Fantastic.. I hope that the country Will return to its former wonderful self.

Gonzalo

Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:29 am

I was surprised the other day when I spotted a Estelar A340 flying CCS-SCL. Later I read about this new service connecting Chile and Venezuela, and the main reason for this flights: the thousands of venezuelans leaving the country looking for a better future.
Not a big surprise the whole airport is in a state of abandonement. The most worrying part of the OP is the one regarding contamination of the jet fuel... are the airlines ferrying fuel in the tanks to avoid this????

Rgds.
G.
Gear Up!!: DC-3 / EMB-110 / FH-227 / A318-19-20-21 / B732 / B763 / B789 / B788 / A343 / ATR72-600

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos