787fan8
Topic Author

Why doesn’t KLM fly to BOS?

Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:43 am

I just wanna know why they don’t. Plain and simple.
Atlanta is an incredibly cool city - Andrew Lincoln

Future Auburn graduate

hoons90

Re: Why doesn’t KLM fly to BOS?

Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:51 am

Because DL already flies BOS-AMS as part of a metal-neutral joint venture.
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

gunsontheroof

Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:55 am

Because they get half the revenue from any DL flight on AMS-BOS and don't see a reason to put their own metal on the route if they don't have to. It's a carry-over from the NW days. Works the same on KL flying AMS-SLC or DL flying AMS-SEA.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

adamh8297

Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:55 am

787fan8 wrote:

KL gate agents do check your boarding passes on AMS-BOS so you get a bit of customer service from them!
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CO, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WN

2018 Flights: B6 BOS-BGI-BOS, WN BOS-MDW-BOS, B6 BOS-PDX-BOS

Cunard

Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:24 pm

787fan8 wrote:

Very dramatic question I must say especially the last part, it reminds me of how my 11yo nephew reacts!

HHScot

Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:26 pm

The answer to most questions like this is "because they think they can make a better return by using their resources on a different route". Plain and simple.

Dieuwer

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:26 pm

The biggest negative of DL BOS-AMS is that you will suffer from NOT receiving a Delft Blue House when flying biz ;)

bagoldex

Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:51 pm

HHScot wrote:
The answer to most questions like this is "because they think they can make a better return by using their resources on a different route". Plain and simple.

Obviously if it wasn't for Northwest starting the route way back when, KLM would have opened Boston sooner or later. Too big of a market to ignore.

jubguy3

Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:27 pm

A joint venture exists specifically so that airlines can figure out what markets work best with what aircraft and what airlines. Obviously having KLM aircraft elsewhere and using DL on the route seems to maximise profits and keep costs down. The reasoning is likely shrouded behind tons of calculations but in the cases of who operates what, it's just because of the way that it is.

In reference to Delta's joint ventures, I've noticed something: Delta seems to prefer to operate from SkyTeam hubs and smaller cities to AMS and CDG, and will let KLM / AF handle large cities they (as in Delta) have a small presence in like SFO and ORD, and out of larger SkyTeam hubs like MSP, SLC, and ATL. Obviously what works best for Boston is to have Air France maintain the premium Europe-originating advantage in the joint venture from CDG and have Delta handle service to BOS. I imagine that because BOS is a larger city with lots of demand to Europe it could make sense for KLM to fly the route but it seems that whatever economics the joint venture creates means that it makes sense for Delta to operate Boston to Amsterdam instead.

klm617

Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:15 am

bagoldex wrote:
HHScot wrote:

Obviously if it wasn't for Northwest starting the route way back when, KLM would have opened Boston sooner or later. Too big of a market to ignore.

Before Northwest started BOS-AMS Braniff flew this route.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

klm617

Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:19 am

jubguy3 wrote:
A joint venture exists specifically so that airlines can figure out what markets work best with what aircraft and what airlines. Obviously having KLM aircraft elsewhere and using DL on the route seems to maximise profits and keep costs down. The reasoning is likely shrouded behind tons of calculations but in the cases of who operates what, it's just because of the way that it is.

In reference to Delta's joint ventures, I've noticed something: Delta seems to prefer to operate from SkyTeam hubs and smaller cities to AMS and CDG, and will let KLM / AF handle large cities they (as in Delta) have a small presence in like SFO and ORD, and out of larger SkyTeam hubs like MSP, SLC, and ATL. Obviously what works best for Boston is to have Air France maintain the premium Europe-originating advantage in the joint venture from CDG and have Delta handle service to BOS. I imagine that because BOS is a larger city with lots of demand to Europe it could make sense for KLM to fly the route but it seems that whatever economics the joint venture creates means that it makes sense for Delta to operate Boston to Amsterdam instead.

So with that logic why doesn't KLM serve DTW when it serves SLC, MSP, and ATL
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

N717TW

Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:52 am

Because BOS was the NWA gateway to Europe in the 80s and early 90s (before the KLM JV started and NW abandoned the gateway hub) but NW had at that point an established TATL route, an internationally trained crew base, a maintenance base, and a large frequent flyer base. KL had no operation in BOS whatsoever. Therefore it just made operational sense for NW to run the route. DL has continued it, much for the same reason.

jubguy3

Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:20 am

klm617 wrote:
jubguy3 wrote:

So with that logic why doesn't KLM serve DTW when it serves SLC, MSP, and ATL

I know it's something that has bothered you for a while, i was actually wondering why you were named after a KLM flight... but the capacity that KLM has in SLC is fractional (3x a week summer seasonal) because they split the plane with Colombo, Sri Lanka, and I believe that they do the same with Minneapolis - it might be year round. KLM tends to have less flights into the US alone because amsterdam has a smaller amount of O/D traffic into the United States, which is why KLM really only operates out of those large cities. But it does seem like a large hole for KLM in driving AMS - USA traffic because Detroit is the 3rd largest intercontinental market out of Amsterdam.

Likewise, Air France flies to Detroit but not SLC despite the fact that SLC-CDG has been in operation for 10 years

flydude380

Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:37 am

adamh8297 wrote:
787fan8 wrote:

KL gate agents do check your boarding passes on AMS-BOS so you get a bit of customer service from them!

KLM agents I agree are one of the best, if not only, the best agents in Europe. Even though they are contracted by Delta to handle their flights, they act like true partners of the airline and will offer you the same level of hospitality as they would if they were working their own metal :)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos