Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:22 pm

SQ789 wrote:
His Successor is?

Ed Sims
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

Dominion301

Re: WestJet's Gregg Saretsky Retires

Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:37 pm

I guess Greg didn't want to deal with WS' unionization and the sticky situation Swoop is already creating with pilots: http://business.financialpost.com/trans ... rier-swoop

sixtyseven

Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:04 pm

Retires effective immediately? Sounds like he was “nicely fired”
Gregg steered WJ under a very long period of growth. However his time has come and gone. The once proud employee attitude is long gone. The company has lost its direction. Is it low cost? ULC? Legacy, full service? International? Global? I’ve said it before they’re chasing their tails. And this happened under him.

He had no idea how to deal with the pilot union and this last pitch to try and get current (mainline?)pilots to man Swoop on leaves of absence was pure nonsense, shot down immediately by the labor board.

The new guy has to re engage his employees. WestJet did what they did very well. They have to refind that identity. Because they appear to be in a bit of a panic. They can do that without him.

It’s a good thing he gone.

Good luck to them.
Stand-by for new ATIS message......

CFM565A1

Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:18 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
I guess Greg didn't want to deal with WS' unionization and the sticky situation Swoop is already creating with pilots: http://business.financialpost.com/trans ... rier-swoop

I get a sense that that’s the case too... he sure didn’t like dealing with them at Canadian Airlines either if my memory serves.

Before anyone tries to say that he’s remaining on the board as a way to argue that he’s fine with ALPA, keep in mind he had said he would “go down fighting” to prevent unionization and lost that battle... both with WS and Encore and possibly he flight attendants next.

Staying on the board of any company is a figurative and nothing too special. We’ve seen that with Gordon Bethune who stayed on and didn’t have much of a role, we saw it with Robert Milton at Air Canada and now at UA, same with Clive Beddoe, Glenn Tilton after Smisek took over the new UA.

While one can’t know with 100% certain, there sure is a case to be made that supports what you think Dominion301. I myself out of pure coincidence was wondering how he’d handle this Swoop thing when ALPA announced they wouldn’t get away with their hiring strategy.
Last edited by CFM565A1 on Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flown: C172-M/N/P/R/S , P2006T, PA-34-200T, DH8A/C Been on: DH8A/C ERJ-145, CRJ-100/200, DH8D, CRJ-700/705/900, E-175/190, A319/320/321, 737-200/300/400/600/700/800/900ER, MD-82/83, 757-200, 767-300, 777-300ER, F28-4000.

wave46

Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:28 pm

sixtyseven wrote:
Gregg steered WJ under a very long period of growth. However his time has come and gone. The once proud employee attitude is long gone. The company has lost its direction. Is it low cost? ULC? Legacy, full service? International? Global? I’ve said it before they’re chasing their tails. And this happened under him.

He had no idea how to deal with the pilot union and this last pitch to try and get current (mainline?)pilots to man Swoop on leaves of absence was pure nonsense, shot down immediately by the labor board.

The new guy has to re engage his employees. WestJet did what they did very well. They have to refind that identity. Because they appear to be in a bit of a panic. They can do that without him.

Good luck to them.

Good post!

They used to do a Canadian version of Southwest quite nicely. Then they wanted to be Canadian Airlines part 2 (or a feeble attempt at it). Now, they have so much stuff going on that they don't know what to do with it all - Swoop, long-haul on 767s to the UK, Encore, partnering with small regional operators.

The Encore operation makes sense as it allows increased frequencies from smaller cities in Canada. The rest of it - ULCC long haul at mainline prices and Swoop seem like distractions. They seem to be trying to compete with everyone at everything - Sunwing, Air Transat and Air Canada.

sixtyseven

Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:31 pm

CFM565A1 wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

I get a sense that that’s the case too... he sure didn’t like dealing with them at Canadian Airlines either if my memory serves.

Before anyone tries to say that he’s remaining on the board as a way to argue that he’s fine with ALPA, keep in mind he had said he would “go down fighting” to prevent unionization and lost that battle... both with WS and Encore and possibly he flight attendants next.

Staying on the board of any company is a figurative and nothing too special. We’ve seen that with Gordon Bethune who stayed on and didn’t have much of a role, we saw it with Robert Milton at Air Canada and now at UA, same with Clive Beddoe, Glenn Tilton after Smisek took over the new UA.

While one can’t know with 100% certain, there sure is a case to be made that supports what you think Dominion301. I myself out of pure coincidence was wondering how he’d handle this Swoop thing when ALPA announced they wouldn’t get away with their hiring strategy.

It’s not just Swoop. It’s getting the first contract signed. Management was dragging its feet in fact he was quoted to investors saying “no contract in 2018, 2019 at the earliest.” Investors were asking how would a union effect the ULCC and 787 operations.

He had no clue how to deal with the union so he was going to try and railroad Swoop and the 787 working conditions, then drag his heel at the negots table.

For the average person things at WestJet may seem ok. For the somewhat educated there’s cause for concern. For those in the know, there is zero labour happiness, at least from the pilots. It’s very bad there right now. His leaving can’t be viewed as anything but a possible big plus.

More importantly, the new guy may stave off more unionization if he’s able to reengage the rest of his workforce. Saretsky just wasn’t liked anymore

drgmobile

Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:32 pm

sixtyseven wrote:

Good luck to them.

WestJet hasn't "lost its direction," it's changed its direction. Things change. For the company to continue to grow and evolve in the higher cost, unionized environment it now finds itself in, it has elected to expand into new market segments. This makes the business more complex, which raises costs, but its move upmarket provides opportunities to raise its yield. Canada is a small market with limited opportunities for an all 737 fleet. You'd have had them stagnate? Swoop provides a way to deal with the new competitive threat on the lower end of the market. You'd have them ignore the threat?

There will always be people who are resistant to change.

CFM565A1

Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:42 pm

drgmobile wrote:
sixtyseven wrote:

Good luck to them.

WestJet hasn't "lost its direction," it's changed its direction. Things change. For the company to continue to grow and evolve in the higher cost, unionized environment it now finds itself in, it has elected to expand into new market segments. This makes the business more complex, which raises costs, but its move upmarket provides opportunities to raise its yield. Canada is a small market with limited opportunities for an all 737 fleet. You'd have had them stagnate? Swoop provides a way to deal with the new competitive threat on the lower end of the market. You'd have them ignore the threat?

Swoop isn’t a way of expansion...yes you can ignore Flair or Jetlines because they aren’t getting anywhere. Jetliners can’t get off the ground (pun not intended)and Flair bought out an already struggling New Leaf that they were partnered with. Swoop was a way to cheat out of unionization as we saw this guy try to do. Controversy has followed him everywhere... Canadian Airlines when he was there, Alaska (he wasn’t in charge but it was around the time of the MD-80 crash and poor maintenance practices to save cost) and Westjet we had the crew scandal in Hawaii and the swoop thing.

He also made that video about Bombardier and accusing them of being garbage essentially when they decided not to defer westjet’s Q400. It was a sad move in his part to go on about how awful the “BBD customer service was” and “no one wants the C series”.
Flown: C172-M/N/P/R/S , P2006T, PA-34-200T, DH8A/C Been on: DH8A/C ERJ-145, CRJ-100/200, DH8D, CRJ-700/705/900, E-175/190, A319/320/321, 737-200/300/400/600/700/800/900ER, MD-82/83, 757-200, 767-300, 777-300ER, F28-4000.

sixtyseven

Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:46 pm

drgmobile wrote:
sixtyseven wrote:

Good luck to them.

No, I’m not having them stagnate. And yes people can be resistant to change. For good reason. A lot of different directions in a short period of time can also be a loss of direction. Identify what they are, more importantly what they want to be? Sounds like all things to all people. And that doesn’t work.

Realize employees want to know that as well. Where are we going and how will this effect me? Can I get more of the pie here? Is my job safe? To say it’s pilots are pissed off is an understatement. They’ve unionized and the guy in charge of the company basically ignores them.

Creates swoop. Then offers jobs to go to swoop on another list with entirely different working conditions but you’re on a leave of absence from the mainline seniority list and could come back. How do you think pilots would feel about that while working to get its first contract signed? Which is hard to do in the first place when management won’t even come to the table. It’s a horrendous move. Very inflammatory, shot down by the CIRB. It was his last stab effort, probably looked very poor to the board and it’s out the door you go as at the very least he was entirely clueless on how to handle the new labor issues. Anyone looks a genius when everyone is drunk on corporate koolaid.

And that’s not a slam. It’s just they’re different now and need to find another way to engage and make their people happy.

Dominion301

Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:08 pm

CFM565A1 wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

Thanks CFM565A1 for the compliment. Yeah also given it's 'effective immediately' pretty much indicates he was "voluntold" to go. If this were by his own accord:
a) Today would have been the press release stating 'Greg to retire in 6 months - will mentor the new guy'.
b) He would have waited to go until after the triumphant delivery of their first 787.

I think it's safe to say more unionization is on the way at WS, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It just means WS have now just about fully evolved into a legacy aka Canadian 2.0. Their predatory tactics of nowadays (aka Swoop, try to put Flair out of business at all costs, etc.) sure smell of a legacy. The WestJet of 1999 'aka the happy, anti-establishment, little guy' used to cry foul at those same predatory tactics.

Isn't it ironic that nowadays, it's good old 'big bad AC' with all the labour peace?

longhauler

Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:19 pm

Like many before and likely many to follow, Westjet was started by modelling after Southwest Airlines. When sticking to that plan, they were solid and consistent.

When Mr. Saretsky took over, things changed. Since then, Westjet has started a regional carrier, delved into international flying, then wide body operations, started a pseudo business class, then made a sizable order for more wide body operations and hinted at further long range international operations and now they are starting yet another division, this time an ULCC. I am sure the recent labour relations losses are not helping as more employees become disenchanted and aim toward unions for protection.

Yes, Westjet is a consistent (meager) profit earner. But, in a time when airlines are making record profits, Westjet ... isn't. Last year, they made roughly the same profit they made 5 years ago, with 50% more aircraft and passengers.

To put it into perspective, Air Canada has made more profit in the last five years than Westjet made in it's entire existence! I am sure the BOD has lost patience.

Then, there's this .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xHjSA2YYec

WTH?
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

CFM565A1

Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:46 pm

longhauler wrote:
To put it into perspective, Air Canada has made more profit in the last five years than Westjet made in it's entire existence! I am sure the BOD has lost patience.

Then, there's this .....

WTH?

Eek, I can’t unsee that now :biting:

767333ER

Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:00 pm

I for one wasn’t really surprised when I saw the news as I was saying yesterday after the CIRB decision that surely his days must be numbered, heck I thought he’d quit when they joined ALPA and after saying he’d go down fighting the drive to join it and I was a bit surpirsed he lasted this long after.
longhauler wrote:
Like many before and likely many to follow, Westjet was started by modelling after Southwest Airlines. When sticking to that plan, they were solid and consistent.

When Mr. Saretsky took over, things changed. Since then, Westjet has started a regional carrier, delved into international flying, then wide body operations, started a pseudo business class, then made a sizable order for more wide body operations and hinted at further long range international operations and now they are starting yet another division, this time an ULCC. I am sure the recent labour relations losses are not helping as more employees become disenchanted and aim toward unions for protection.

Yes, Westjet is a consistent (meager) profit earner. But, in a time when airlines are making record profits, Westjet ... isn't. Last year, they made roughly the same profit they made 5 years ago, with 50% more aircraft and passengers.

Then, there's this .....

WTH?

:checkmark:
I imagine Jimbo would have some sort of rebuttal for this! :lol:

The video though is about as bad as the time he made a video saying how the world doesn’t want the CSeries not too long before Delta ordered it and then said somehting to the effect of Bombardier’s product support being bad even though they haven’t been a customer long enough to know that. Yeah NO ONE wants the CSeries which is why one of the worlds biggest and most reputable airlines ordered it...
Been on: 732 733 734 73G 738 752 763 A319 A320 A321 CRJ CR7 CRA/CR9 E145 E175 E190 F28 MD-82 MD-83 C172R C172S P2006T

CFWAD

Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:11 pm

That was beyond awful.. even by teal standards.

Keep in mind however, it's only one guy gone. The remaining EVP roster that bolstered the plan for Swoop (WO), pseudo business class and the B789 order with impending international expansion, are all still firmly in place at YHQ.

My opinion? The BoD should reverse, pause or slow down WO launch. The B789 Intl. Ops will require the full focus and attention of the entire leadership team, let alone the ongoing distraction of labour concerns, codeshares, WS Link and maturing of the Encore brand.

Sure a flagship WS B789 GRU-YVR or YVR-BKK sounds exciting but the brand is still relatively unknown outside Canada.
-AC has just a few decades headstart on Intl. Ops and has the commercial benefit of having the destination country in its name.
-WS will be up against the subsidized Chinese carriers, growing competition from new long haul, low cost entrants like Norwegian and Scoot.
-Their revenues will also become much more susceptible to currency exchange rates/fluctuations.

I wish the new 'Head Cheese's the best of luck but I hope he dials back the airspeed a bit and focus on what WS was built upon: take care of your employees, who in turn take care of the customer, who then looks after the shareholders. The team lost that during GS's tenure.
CaVOK
A319.320.321.332.333.343.B722.732.733.734.735.736.73G.738.739.742.74M.752.762.763.772.773.

canadianpylon

Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:13 pm

longhauler wrote:

:o

That is truly disconcerting, and wrong on SO many levels!
Always looking for the longest route with the most transfers.

william

Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:30 pm

canadianpylon wrote:
longhauler wrote:

That's the former CEO? If I was the FAA I would look at WestJet's operational certificate in the US after seeing this! I wander if WestJet's board have seen this, they may not want him on it after seeing this.

Dominion301

Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:17 pm

If Greg wants to head up a non-union airline, maybe Jetlines can make him CEO. :duck:

jimbo737

Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:19 pm

longhauler wrote:

Then, there's this .....

WTH?

Well, that's a nice story but here's reality with data pulled from their respective audited reports.

Since 2013, Air Canada has generated $70.451b in revenue, incurred $64.812b in expenses and a further $1.793b in interest expense, resulting in a pre-tax, pre-one time gain or expense profit of $3.846b and a margin of 5.46%

Since 2013, Westjet has generated $20.293b in revenue, incurred $17.969b in expenses and a further $.252b in interest expense, resulting in a pre-tax, pre-one time gain or expense profitof $2.072b and a margin of 10.21%

So with 3.5x the revenue, AC has generated just 1.9X the operating profit with interest included as an expense over the past 5 years.

And for the record, Air Canada paid $8m in income tax in 2013, $0 in 2014, $0 in 2015, $1m in 2016 and gained $759m in 2017.
WJ paid $103.4m in income tax in 2013, $106.4m in 2014, $153.4m in 2015, $120.8m in 2016 and $120.6m in 2017.

AC ended up getting $750m in tax refunds over the period when WJ paid $604.9m into the tax kitty.

And, yes, WJ had higher margins than AC last year. 8.56% vs 6.48% at Air Canada.

So when you're discussing "meager" margins, let's be absolutely clear who you're referring to.

:cool2:

whywhyzee

Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:48 pm

I agree with most, this was not done on his own accord, he was politely told to resign. It needed to be done, the Swoop crew fiasco was terrible, it was a Michael O’Leary move, not dome in good faith, and with little interest of line employees.

Beyond why he had to go, my personal view is that the company has in fact lost a sense of direction, much like previous posters have mentioned. They took great strides to elevate their brand image to better compete with AC, and continue to do so, which is seemingly successful. The best part about them is they are unique, they have an energy, the crews are empowered to work for the benefit of the company and the service reflects that. Take that away by cutting deals that marginalized working conditions, and they will fail. The advent of swoop is just another loss of focus, a typical Canadian airline attitude, snuff out any competitor. It just seems to me that they are putting far too much effort into swoop with little to gain, why not focus on product refinement and really taking the fight to AC, as the saying goes, jack of all trades, master of none....

longhauler

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:00 pm

767333ER wrote:
I imagine Jimbo would have some sort of rebuttal for this!

Oh, I am absolutely certain he will. I have quite a few friends who fly for Westjet and they always show me the emails with which their head office equips their employees with facts to spread on social media. Obscure little tidbits from the most recent quarter where Westjet performed better than Air Canada. Then ... a few days later ... I will see them on here quoted by him. Always seeming to forget that the actual bottom line, is in fact the bottom line!

Poor old Saretsky. Hopefully his departure will signal a move by Westjet back to its core roots where its success is undeniable.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

YYZLGA

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:00 pm

I agree that they do seem a bit aimless these days. They're trying to expand overseas, but that's a very competitive space from Canada. They're not likely to ever build up the network and alliance connections to match Air Canada for premium traffic, and the leisure traffic market is getting very crowded with Transat, international LCCs, and Rouge. I think there's way more opportunity on the domestic side, where lower fares could stimulate a lot of new traffic. But that's going to require a very keen focus on that approach. Right now, Swoop just seems like a way to drive Flair and the others out of business. In particular, they need to find a way to get airport costs down--maybe by building their own ultra-low-frills terminals. If they're starting with $50+ in AIFs on each round trip, they're never going to make the ULCC model work.

As it stands, most legacies seem to be shifting toward the LCC model for very good reasons. Westjet seems pretty unique in being an LCC that's trying to transform itself into a legacy. It hasn't worked too well for others who have tried, like Air Berlin. I don't think they'll suffer that fate--they still enjoy a very loyal nationalistic customer base in Western Canada that would never dream of flying Air Canada. But a little clearer focus couldn't hurt.

CFWAD

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:09 pm

Man the waters around Oak Bay must be running pretty teal these days.

Trying to spin the fact WS, which as a public corporation has the fiscal responsibility to it's shareholders to maximize value, paid more in taxes and making it sound like they're donating to a charity while mean ol' CR robbed the taxpayers of 750 million. :lol:
CaVOK
A319.320.321.332.333.343.B722.732.733.734.735.736.73G.738.739.742.74M.752.762.763.772.773.

sixtyseven

Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:43 pm

Here’s the deal. Gregg tried to sideswipe labour laws by having a group of his own guys flying Swoop metal who would essentially have been scabs. CIRB said no way. Greggs last attempt to subvert the union failed. Adios.

This will force management to the table which they’ve been avoiding like the plague.

Great music video. What a bunch of clowns.

jimbo737

Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:59 pm

CFWAD wrote:
Man the waters around Oak Bay must be running pretty teal these days.

Trying to spin the fact WS, which as a public corporation has the fiscal responsibility to it's shareholders to maximize value, paid more in taxes and making it sound like they're donating to a charity while mean ol' CR robbed the taxpayers of 750 million. :lol:

Scottsdale, actually.....

ACDC8
Topic Author

Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:24 am

As a very frequent WS flyer from day one and from a consumers point of view and labour issues aside, Gregg has taken WS into a very exciting path IMHO and I can only hope that they continue in the same direction.

I'd like to see Swoop continue to be launched, not to try and get rid of Flair, but at the very least to compel Flair to step up their game - ideally, I'd like to see both of them succeed.

WS has had no choice but to evolve - the Canadian market isn't what it used to be 20 years ago. More and more people are flying now, in part thanks to WS's original model.

WS has some serious issues to overcome to continue to be successful, not only the changing labour environment, but from this customers point of view, the constant delays are getting to be all too common place.

So, the question is, with Ed Sims - can we expect any big changes in the future WS? If so, what changes?
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

Whiteguy

Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:42 am

william wrote:
canadianpylon wrote:
longhauler wrote:

That's the former CEO? If I was the FAA I would look at WestJet's operational certificate in the US after seeing this! I wander if WestJet's board have seen this, they may not want him on it after seeing this.

Why would the FAA care about this?? And does it have to do with their OC in the US?

MaverickM11

Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:12 am

Seems like the 767s, Pacific Coastal deal, and Swoop have all been major missteps that have distracted WS from its profitable core business...
E pur si muove -Galileo

william

Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:14 am

Whiteguy wrote:
william wrote:
canadianpylon wrote:

Why would the FAA care about this?? And does it have to do with their OC in the US?

Its called sarcasm.

CFWAD

Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:16 am

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/westjet-ceo-gregg-saretsky-retires-effective-immediately/article38247007/

"The shakeup marks the third time since the carrier launched in 1996 that a CEO has left abruptly as co-founder Clive Beddoe continues to wield influence."

Same headline but a little more history into WS and Clive being the really only lasting constant after 23+ years.

Seems like the 767s, Pacific Coastal deal, and Swoop have all been major missteps that have distracted WS from its profitable core business...

I wouldn't call them major missteps... Yet. Although all being executed at once (including introducing an entire new fleet at a huge overall cost increase and further expanding international ops) will dilute what strengths the leadership team have to offer.

Keep in mind WS has tried to reinvent the wheel before and failed. YHM vs YYZ and the $40 million + investment in their botched airRes 'in house reservation system' to be shared with VA are two examples that come to mind.
CaVOK

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos