Matt_milligan
Topic Author

Aircraft Diversions During Ocean Crossings

Sun Mar 03, 2002 8:01 am

I know from a documentry that I just watched that aircraft on transatlantic crossings are beyond the range of radar but are kept approximately 95 miles apart by using GPS reporting points.

What happens if an aircraft has to divert to a different airport due to an emergency or like many did on 9/11. How is seperation maintained for an unplaned movement beyond radar range?

boeing764

RE: Aircraft Diversions During Ocean Crossings

Sun Mar 03, 2002 10:29 am

The oceanic tracks are seperated by, I think, fifty nautical miles horizontally. So when an aircraft needs to divert they call the controller on the HF radio and advise him/her of their situation. There is lots of room between the tracks to turn right or left and descend to an altitude they are able to mantain or an available altitude for an opposite direction routing. The controller can maintain seperation between all flights via voice communications or Satcomm.
I am no expert but I used to listen to San Francisco ATC on my shortwave radio.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Matthias Randon

From Dr. King's America to Nelson Mandela's Africa, the journey of equality moves on.

jhooper

Wed Mar 06, 2002 10:12 am

I bet TCAS was used heavily on Sept. 11 in this case.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

goboeing

Wed Mar 06, 2002 10:18 am

Just for your information, the North Atlantic tracks are 60 NM apart from each other.

Nick