TOMASKEMPNER
Topic Author

Do You Like BA´s World Tails, It Seems Only Me...

Sun Mar 03, 2002 12:19 pm

I´ve been reading post after post and noticed that a large number of people hate BA´s world tails. I think that the World Tails livery is great, and besides its really exciting to watch different tails at your airport everytimes that a BA flight arrives.

I think that the old BA livery was very boring and this one is quite fresh, but it seems I´m the only one.

My favorite tail is the one of Scotland

yyz717

RE: Do You Like BA´s World Tails, It Seems Only Me...

Sun Mar 03, 2002 12:24 pm

Benyhone Tartan is good.....and still has a British theme. But the rest....all crap.

What the hell does Deftblue Daybreak and Ndebele have to do with British efficiency and service?

When I fly BA, I want a slice of British culture.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

sharpnfuzzy

RE: Do You Like BA´s World Tails, It Seems Only Me

Sun Mar 03, 2002 12:41 pm

YYZ717: That's why they are called World Tails, not British Tails.

There were some ugly ones, but overall i think it was a good idea. They did something that made their livery stand out... not just the same boring planes over and over again....

je89_w
Crew

Sun Mar 03, 2002 12:58 pm

I think the Union Flag one is nice because it dosen't display any wacky paint scheme.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Jason Taperell

I love the world tails!!! My favorite world tail is the "colum". BA should keep some world tails and some "old tails".

Click for large version

Photo © Chris Sheldon

Je89 w

carmy

Sun Mar 03, 2002 1:12 pm

I hate the world tails. Shameful, as Baroness Thatcher called it. If they're so ashamed of their British identity, then perhaps they should change their name to world tails airways. Most dreadful and unbecoming of.

9V-SVE

Sun Mar 03, 2002 1:17 pm

I like some of them. They should keep Benyhone, Chelsea Rose, Landor, and some of the other British taills and get rid of the rest

yyz717

Sun Mar 03, 2002 1:34 pm

ya! This Canadian says that British-ness is something to be proud of! Fly the flag BA!

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

Mr.BA

Sun Mar 03, 2002 10:28 pm

I don't see why all the bashing to BA. I believe they just wanted to make their fleet more attractive, unique and stand out, nothing else. Why make it so complicated? The 'British Airways' titles are still on every single aircraft. I find them very creative, makes the fleet stand out among others. But some are not really nice I say too  Smile
Boeing747 万岁!

nfx

Sun Mar 03, 2002 10:43 pm

its a step back for BA that they get rid of their "world tails"

Click for large version

Photo © Darcy Stevens

Click for large version

Photo © Darcy Stevens

Click for large version

Photo © Paul Jongeneelen

cosmopolitan like no airline before

Sad

EGGD

Sun Mar 03, 2002 10:48 pm

I don't think it was as good a scheme as the one which preceded it, but they were pretty nice! Gave each aircraft an identity, which with the new scheme they just don't have, all the same  Sad

Bring back the world tails!

thadocta

Sun Mar 03, 2002 10:49 pm

From an operational viewpoint, they are a nightmare.

Pilots are often directed to take off/taxi/whatever after a certain aircraft has landed/departed/crossed runway/whatever. For some ports that only see a BA flight once a day or less, meaning that flight crews only see a BA aircraft once a week or less, this can cause confusion as to what aircraft they are supposed to wait for, and confusion on the flight deck is somethign to be avoided at all costs.

I believe (but not 100% certain) that this is the reason the British CAA directed BA to change the tails.

Dave

gr8slvrflt

Sun Mar 03, 2002 11:13 pm

I thought they were fabulous! What a great idea: showing you are the "World's Favourite Airline" by adopting a livery that reflects cultures from around the world. They were very distinctive as well.
I work for Southwest, but the views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Southwest.

keesje

Sun Mar 03, 2002 11:22 pm

Tomas I liked the tails too (as do many who don´t admit; don´t indentify with a loosing concept).

Now that it is too expensive/impracticle everybody is stumbling over each other to say they never liked it ...

I think the UK was a bit too conservative / patriotic for this true international piece of art.

Imagine a tail everybody can´t dislike artiscally, operationally or financially.

Man, that would be a DULL one !

Click for large version

Photo © George Polfliet

Thank you BA for taking the risc of being creative !!

(and I´m not even a BA fan ...)

cheers

Keesje
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

Arsenal@LHR

Sun Mar 03, 2002 11:26 pm

I hated the world tails, and like i mentioned before in other posts, they made the planes look "untidy" and "messy" if u know what i mean. The old landor scheme was a classic, but was too old that needed a change, so the union jack colours looks really smart and attractive, gives it a more of a British feel and look to the BA fleet.

Arsenal@LHR
In Arsene we trust!!

thijs_wieman

Sun Mar 03, 2002 11:39 pm

I think the tails where great. But I know they where hated by some air traffic controllers. And, ofcourse by some pilots too. They didn't know fir which aircraft they had to wait for. I think BA lost its identity as an airline. They are being confused all the time. But, I think the idea of giving each plane a identity was great. Unfortunately it didn't work.....to bad....

Thijs

VS11

Mon Mar 04, 2002 12:38 am

I love the world tails. I am not a fan of BA but the tails were something I have always admired. The idea was creative and the implementation was very aesthetic as well.
The world tails were really a celebration of a cosmopolitan spirit especially as BA claimed to be the "world's favourite airline".
However, it seems to me taht the only people who did not like the tails were British. Probably, they felt offended, I have no idea.
Although being confusing for other pilots/ATC might be a good reason for their termination, the problem with BA and the world tails in my opinion was that BA could never really adopt that cosmopolitan spirit that the tails symbolized. To me BA, has been having quite an identity crisis.
I have seen many of their compaigns and they seem to emphasize the British part of BA service and otherwise as if someone who is not British would fly them because they are British.
Anyway, I really regret the tails being removed.

Regards,
VS11

Mr.BA

Mon Mar 04, 2002 12:43 am

You guys have a point there.. but nevertheless the world tails have brought me much fun and some 'guessing games' while spotting!
Boeing747 万岁!

chepos

Mon Mar 04, 2002 12:56 am

I definitely like the BA World Tails, it gave the airline an International flavor .
Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

Ndebele

Mon Mar 04, 2002 2:47 am

I like the World Tails, what else did you expect?!

airplanetire

Mon Mar 04, 2002 2:49 am

I thought it was a great idea! Most of them were really attractive in my mind. The Union tail is nice, but a bit boring.

bmi330

Mon Mar 04, 2002 3:19 am

I LIKED THE WORLD TAILS ALSO BUT A THINK THEY ENDED UP WHITH TO MANY DIFFRENT VARATIONS THEY SHOULD HAVE HAD ABOUT 6 TO 8 DIFFRENT ONES OR HAVE EVERY PLAIN DIFFRENT TO EACH OTHER BUT THAT WOULD BE WELL DEAR THOUGH. OR WHAT ABOUT HAVEN SIMBOLS OF PLACES THEY FLY OR HAVE NASHIONAL OR REGONAL FLAGS ? THAT WOULD BE KOOL

GDB

Mon Mar 04, 2002 3:23 am

There were the operational problems mentioned, but the reason they were chopped is that many important customers hated them too, and not just British people.

Silverstreak

Mon Mar 04, 2002 4:09 am

I thought the World Tails were great and hate to see them go. The new version with the abstract Union Jack seems to me to be the most unBritish design ever! The World Tails scheme said to passengers and onlookers that BA was definitely a world carrier with to consider using, if just by the many color schemes from the different BA international destinations. Also, the World Tails scheme also said that a British company could think global and modern, too. Today it takes more than coloring a map red or flying a national fly to be a world player. You have to know and respect "the other guy". Using artists from other countries was a brilliant idea.

Ndebele

Mon Mar 04, 2002 4:32 am

Ndebele is just my third favourite World Tail.
My favourite World Tail is Colour Down The Side (which can be seen on only one single aircraft, a Brymon Dash-8). However, Johan decided that an a.net username should have 14 letters only, so I could not take ColourDownTheSide, which would be a quite good username, I think.
My second favourite World Tail is Benyhone (that Scottish one). I wanted to call myself Benyhone - but that name had already been taken! Yes, somebody called himself "Benyhone" before, and guess what - he did not even write a single post! Benyhone, if you read this...  Angry
http://www.airliners.net/discussions/profile.main?username=Benyhone

dc-10 levo

Mon Mar 04, 2002 4:36 am

I think they're great!

DC-10

baec777

Mon Mar 04, 2002 5:20 am

BAEC777 = British Airways Executive Club Boeing 777, That mean I like British Airways & all of their Tail Liveries !!!!!

Don't count me as part of the BA World Tail hater program if you started one.  Smile

baec

blink182

Mon Mar 04, 2002 6:25 am

I loved the World Tails.

I thought they were one of the most creative and unique things that an airline came out with in a long time. I am pretty mad that BA stopped doing those and a bunch of Brits hated them.

blink
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

VapourTrails

RE: Do You Like BA World Tails, It Seems Only Me..

Sat Mar 09, 2002 8:43 pm

OK they're not bad.. Laugh out loud I like some of them.. Wink/being sarcastic

Click for large version

Photo © Michael Kelly

Click for large version

Photo © Steven Kaplan

Click for large version

Photo © Chris Sheldon

Can someone tell me if Concorde ever have a world tail, and if so, which aircraft? It was stated in another thread, but I have never seen a picture of one. Please answer. Smile
-VapourTrails =

pressclub

Sat Mar 09, 2002 8:47 pm

Is Air Tahiti hiring cockpit crew? Any info?

VapourTrails

RE: Air Tahiti World Tails (j/k)

Sat Mar 09, 2002 8:53 pm

Air Tahiti World tails - that's a thought.. Wink/being sarcastic
-VapourTrails =

TNboy

BA's World Tails

Sat Mar 09, 2002 10:01 pm

They were generally good, but why the fuss? The vast majority of passengers (including those who complain) would have boarded through airbridges and probably only have seen the designs in newspapers and magazines. They all looked the same inside! The Union Flag is good, but I preferred Chelsea Rose if they wanted to stay British with the design, and that would have left Concorde with it's own signature tail.
"...every aircraft is subtly different.."