B17GEAA
Topic Author

Automation in the Commercial Aviation Industry

Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:51 pm

What does everyone think about automation in the airline industry? Thoughts on when and how we can expect it or if we ever will?

Revelation

Re: Automation in the Commercial Aviation Industry

Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:41 pm

Seems a financial bonanza will be given to the airliner maker who can certify a one-person cockpit.

Personally I hope not to see it, but the financial pressure to get there must be immense.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has it's beaches, it's homeland and thoughts of it's own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has it's seasons, it's evenings and songs of it's own

kanban

Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:46 pm

your question is sufficiently vague that it difficult to respond. None the less, both Boeing and Airbus have been automating the production process over the last 20 plus years. While Boeing uses a Japanese car moving line and a lot of join robotics on most models, Airbus uses a lot of robot assembly, yet still believe on towing sections and planes around the plant.

ZaphodHarkonnen

Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:53 pm

Well you've gone from what, pilot, co-pilot, radio officer, navigator, chief engineer, and even assistant engineers for those first huge flying boats. Now we're down to pilot and co-pilot. So automation has already killed off most the flight deck jobs.

As for the rest of it? Might start seeing automatic taxiing, autopilot in control more of the time, single pilot operation for short haul narrowbodies. All sorts of things. But with all automation the killer is the edge cases. If you can't handle them then the benefits become very restricted in its usefulness. And with how conservative aerospace can be to new stuff it will take a while for the really cool stuff to appear.

787Mech

Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:19 pm

There’s quite a lot of automation on the 787 in regards to OML hole drilling throughout the entire fuselage. The Brojte machines, quad-bots (which are amazing) and the circ join track drillers. I can see more automation within this small area of the build cycle but, we are many years off from seeing any substantial secondary structures automation if the jobs/parts themselves dont lend to easy automation. Way too many parts and most would be inaccessible. I would love to see more robotics used for all fuselage joining and fastening, though.

Seabear

Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:23 pm

If a drone can be remotely piloted to any point on the globe from a cubicle stateside today, it's not difficult to imagine a pilotless cockpit, especially if the "pilot" can be sourced from a low-wage 3rd world country.

hOMSaR

Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:48 pm

When I book a flight, I instantly get assigned a seat (provided one is available in my class of service and the fare is eligible for advanced seat selection). I can check-in online, and board a flight with minimal human interaction (scanning my phone at the security checkpoint and at the gate). Delays or gate changes can be pushed to my phone automatically, as well as changes in seat assignments, without having to talk to another person or get a new boarding pass printed.

Virtually all airline tickets are e-tickets now.

Does that count as automation? Because it's already happening.
The plural of Airbus is Airbuses. Airbii is not a word.
There is no 787-800, nor 787-900 or 747-800. It's 787-8, 787-9, and 747-8.
A321neoLR is also unnecessary. It's simply A321LR.
Airplanes don't have isles, they have aisles.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos