727LOVER
Topic Author

Dominant carrier @ EWR before PE

Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:03 pm

I was curious, what was EWR's dominant carrier before People Express. Or was there one?

Going by photographs that I've seen of both pre & post 1973 terminals....I would guess Eastern.
But I'm not 1005 sure, so that's why I'm asking.

People Express started in 1981. So please enjoy these PRE-1981 EWR pics

"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

EWRandMDW

Re: Dominant carrier @ EWR before PE

Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:03 pm

If my memory serves, during the 1906s into the mid-1970s EA always seemed to have the most scheduled daily departures, with around 50. Given that the EA Air Shuttle also operated out of EWR, there were occasional extra sections of the scheduled flights. I really loved standing on the observation platform above the North Terminal's East Arcade watching and listening to those 4 Allison 501s powering an Electra come to life! New York Airways probably had around 30 - 40 weekday Boeing 107 helicopter flights to the Downtown Heliport, LGA and JFK. After that I think Mohawk, Allegheny and United each had between 20 and 30 +/- daily flights. I don't believe carrier flight schedules changes all that much from the time Terminals A and B opened to when PE began operations.

F27500

Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:52 pm

I would guess EA too, but not by too much of a margin. All the airlines flew there, but none had too huge of an operation .. more of a "presence".

Back then, EWR was always the bastard step-child of the NYC area and wasn't as popular as JFK/LGA. I was PeoplExpress that really put EWR on the map.

tjwgrr

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:06 pm

Looking at this April 1975 EWR schedule, the edge is to Allegheny & Allegheny commuter (combined), with EA second, then DL, then UA.

http://www.departedflights.com/EWR75p1.html
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

OzarkD9S

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:46 pm

F27500 wrote:

I would guess EA too, but not by too much of a margin. All the airlines flew there, but none had too huge of an operation .. more of a "presence".

Back then, EWR was always the bastard step-child of the NYC area and wasn't as popular as JFK/LGA. I was PeoplExpress that really put EWR on the map.

Some people are still arguing that EWR isn't NYC! :box:

To me that's like saying MCI doesn't serve KC, Kansas because the airport is in Missouri. :roll:
Next Up: STL-DTW-PWM-LGA-STL in September. Gotta have a decent bowl or five of lobster bisque! :tongue2:

millionsofmiles

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:01 pm

When I was a kid growing up in NYC, just after the opening of Terminals A and B, EWR was NYC's best kept secret. My family previously flew in/out of JFK and LGA but our first trip out of EWR on a National 727-235 to MIA hooked us. Bright, airy, modern under-occupied terminals, coupled with a quick trip across the river made EWR the logical choice for us. As a kid, I recall departing on a National 727-235; a Delta 727-95; a United DC-10-10; an American 707-323C. When we moved from NYC to Long Island, EWR was no longer an option, and I didn't see EWR again until I began flying for AA. While I was based at LGA, I lived in Manhattan, and EWR quickly became my first choice in bids.

In the 1970s, and up till 1985 when AA moved to Satellite A-3, AA shared a satellite in B with Eastern. Did AA share B-2 with Eastern? Or was it B-1? B-3 was Delta and National. Where was Allegheny? B-1? Did Eastern fly out of B-1 and B-2, or only one? UA had A-1 and A-2, and shared A-2 with Piedmont. In 1985, AA moved into A-3 with TWA and Northwest.

In the later 1970s, EA, UA, NW, DL and NA had a healthy widebody presence out of EWR. I recall seeing one of the Haas-Turner Eastern/Air Canada L-1011s operating an EA morning flight to SJU in December 1975.

As others have said, airlines had a presence at EWR...some larger than others... but none were completely dominant.

COSPN

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:20 pm

The “Big “ Kansas City is in the state of Missouri..

F27500

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:27 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
F27500 wrote:

Some people are still arguing that EWR isn't NYC! :box:

To me that's like saying MCI doesn't serve KC, Kansas because the airport is in Missouri. :roll:

No .. "BACK THEN" I said.

Not now.

OzarkD9S

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:47 pm

Yes, I can read, thank you. And I brought if forward.
Next Up: STL-DTW-PWM-LGA-STL in September. Gotta have a decent bowl or five of lobster bisque! :tongue2:

727LOVER
Topic Author

Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:29 am

727LOVER wrote:
But I'm not 1005 sure, so that's why I'm asking

That should say 100%...LOL

Follow-up question:

What airlines were on each concourse...1973ish just before the move

Also, seems there was a hangar row west of the terminal. Which carriers had hangars.

Does anyone know where I can see some aerial shots of the old terminal in the jet era?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

ctrabs0114

Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:38 am

727LOVER wrote:
What airlines were on each concourse...1973ish just before the move

Also, seems there was a hangar row west of the terminal. Which carriers had hangars.

Does anyone know where I can see some aerial shots of the old terminal in the jet era?

Closest I could find from Departed Flights was the 1972 terminal map:

http://www.departedflights.com/EWR72.html
2018: BWI, PIT, MDW, MCI, STL, DAL