berari
Topic Author

Ethiopian Airlines at 95% flight loads to Toronto

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:56 pm

Looking at material for this PR outfit called Radonic Rodgers, it claims that it has helped Ethiopian achieve the following one year after engagement:
- Increase of flights from 3 to 5 times per week
- Flight loads increased from 70% to 95%

It's the latter point that I find interesting. This to me shows that YYZ is a strong performing destination, despite ET struggling at first to keep 3 flights a week. They did announce their intent to start flying nonstop to YYZ as of February but has not materialized.

http://radonicrodgers.com/tripled-ethio ... ectiveness

FabienA380

Re: Ethiopian Airlines at 95% flight loads to Toronto

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:17 pm

Their current ET503 isn't flying straight YYZ-ADD??......

EvanWSFO

Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:48 am

FabienA380 wrote:

YYZ-ADD is nonstop. DUB on the westbound.

berari
Topic Author

Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:44 am

EvanWSFO wrote:
FabienA380 wrote:

The westbound is what was announced to become nonstop.

abrelosojos

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:32 am

I have always wondered why they don't consider doing DUB stops both ways and actually building a 5th freedom market. Thoughts?

Saludos,
Alex
Live, and let live.

EIDL

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:53 am

abrelosojos wrote:
I have always wondered why they don't consider doing DUB stops both ways and actually building a 5th freedom market. Thoughts?

Saludos,
Alex

DUB-YYZ is extensively served already. AC EI TS and same plane one stop on WS.

EvanWSFO

Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:34 pm

berari wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:
FabienA380 wrote:

Hmm...I did a dummy booking in the summer,westbound showed going via DUB. I assume the n/s hasn't been loaded ?

berari
Topic Author

Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:17 pm

abrelosojos wrote:

Saludos,
Alex

Canada's protectionist stance wouldn't allow it even if they wanted to. Regardless, they seem to do alright without it, and adding DUB both ways would affect their schedules to meet the banks at ADD.

EvanWSFO wrote:
berari wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:

Hmm...I did a dummy booking in the summer,westbound showed going via DUB. I assume the n/s hasn't been loaded ?

Not loaded despite announcement. They had ad hoc nonstops last month, but nothing consistent and no schedule change.

iadadd

Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:27 pm

Key factors that support ET's YYZ's numbers include:
1) YYZ has strong demand to ADD (large Ethiopian diaspora in GTA), this results in profitable O&D
2) Lack of strong ME3 competition
3) ET uses YYZ as a hub to connect to other Canadian and U.S. destinations.

sovietjet

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:18 pm

Can someone explain where this is coming from? Why is there such a huge demand to travel to Ethiopia of all places? They are starting ORD as well.

sw733

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:27 pm

sovietjet wrote:
Can someone explain where this is coming from? Why is there such a huge demand to travel to Ethiopia of all places? They are starting ORD as well.

A couple of things:

1) Business ties to Ethiopia are growing as the Ethiopian economy continues to grow
2) There are a good number of Ethiopians around the world as a result of emigration through the 80s and 90s
3) Tourism is growing as Ethiopia has recovered and is one of the safest places in Africa to travel to

sovietjet

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:43 pm

I can understand point #1, but as for #2 and #3 they seem like factors that are still too fresh to sustain this traffic. For emigration it is interesting, how many visit their home country now and why haven't they until now? For example, Chicago has a huge Russian/Ukrainian population but yet all the routes to Russia and Ukraine have always failed. And tourism to Ethiopia is surely a thing, but it's not exactly a destination most people think of when deciding to take a vacation... Still seems odd to me. I'd like to visit this country personally.

iadadd

Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:10 pm

sovietjet wrote:
I can understand point #1, but as for #2 and #3 they seem like factors that are still too fresh to sustain this traffic. For emigration it is interesting, how many visit their home country now and why haven't they until now? For example, Chicago has a huge Russian/Ukrainian population but yet all the routes to Russia and Ukraine have always failed. And tourism to Ethiopia is surely a thing, but it's not exactly a destination most people think of when deciding to take a vacation... Still seems odd to me. I'd like to visit this country personally.

It's not necessarily all about demand to Ethiopia per se. ADD is the arguably the most important aviation hub for Sub-Saharan Africa; the way ET serves Africa is similar in the way EK serves the Indian Sub Continent.

hkcanadaexpat

Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:14 pm

Don't forget that Toronto is one of the world's premier mining head office centres, if not the largest, with many mining companies based out of Toronto having their assets in Africa. I would presume that the front of the plane is heavily weighted to mining executives/employees/contractors visiting their assets on the African continent and connecting through ADD. It is after all the only direct flight to sub-Saharan Africa from Canada if I remember correctly. Also helps that its in Star Alliance for all those Toronto-based AC frequent fliers.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos