questions
Topic Author

What Has Oscar Munoz Accomplished During His Tenure At UA?

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:22 pm

The a.net headlines are dismal:
- Passenger dragged off flight
- Polaris rollout is a debacle
- Dog dies after being placed in overhead bin by FA

The above are PR challenges and are debated on here almost endlessly.

But they do beg the serious question... “What has Oscar accomplished?”

Varsity1

Re: What Has Oscar Munoz Accomplished During His Tenure At UA?

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:25 pm

UA is like the jock in highschool that had all the potential, but smoked weed and became a total burn out.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

janders

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:35 pm

Oscar was asked by the BoD to step in and help with the big task of repairing relations with constituents like employees, customers, and investors following Smisek.

He's not an operational person (that's why Kirby arrived), and yes to some degree has managed to improve things especially among employees by delivering long overdue CBAs and working on breaking down the wall between former CO and UA factions.

Certainly, things are not perfect, but there is a new energy at UA, and Oscar helped with that warm and fuzzy feeling. I also believe him coming back after his surgery helped build powerful empathy for him.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

ual763

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:46 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
UA is like the jock in highschool that had all the potential, but smoked weed and became a total burn out.

Well, I'll actually try to add something of value to this thread, unlike the quoted commenter...

Anyways, to answer the OPs question -

OM has done miracles towards improving employee morale. He was primarily responsible for unifying the schism between various employee groups after the Continental merger. The previous CEO (Smisek), didn't do much to bring employees together. Also, The employees love Oscar. I've witnessed this first hand after flying around the network on United the last few years with Oscar at the helm. They really do love him. He actually listens to his employees. Polaris was his idea. It hasn't been rolled out as fast as he had hoped for, but there are various causes for that, such as: third party production delays: projected capacity increases for the lounges, etc. But the project is finally gaining traction.
From flying to the NOTAM office

gaystudpilot

Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:08 am

Varsity1 wrote:

Varsity1, is this from personal experience?

LAXintl

Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:08 am

ual763 wrote:
Polaris was his idea. It hasn't been rolled out as fast as he had hoped for, but there are various causes for that, such as: third party production delays: projected capacity increases for the lounges, etc. But the project is finally gaining traction.

For the record the new international premium product was in work for 3-years before launch and was a hand me over from Smisek and company.
Oscar might have been part of the naming, but the seat and large parts of the product were selected before he took over.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

ual763

Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:11 am

LAXintl wrote:
ual763 wrote:
Polaris was his idea. It hasn't been rolled out as fast as he had hoped for, but there are various causes for that, such as: third party production delays: projected capacity increases for the lounges, etc. But the project is finally gaining traction.

For the record the new international premium product was in work for 3-years before launch and was a hand me over from Smisek and company.
Oscar might have been part of the naming, but the seat and large parts of the product were selected before he took over.

Fair enough. Thanks for the clarification.

gaystudpilot

Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:13 am

ual763 wrote:

The Polaris concept and program was pre-Oscar.

He’s done a lot on the employee and has more to go. He definitely has much more work on the operational, product/service offerings and customer experience fronts.

ilovelamp

Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:16 am

He got a new heart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tpaewr

Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:40 am

He provides a human face and uniteing force in a company that desperately needed such.

Nothing else everyone calls for will come before that is fully realized.

LMFNINJA

Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:44 am

He has managed to piss off a lot of people during his tenure at UA. I find him to be an arrogant and incompetent fool esp. in the infamous Dr. David Dao incident.

United1

Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:52 am

tpaewr wrote:
He provides a human face and uniteing force in a company that desperately needed such.

Nothing else everyone calls for will come before that is fully realized.

indeed...which is why the employees of UA love him. He is the first CEO of UA in a long time who is not a airline person but rather a people person. He came in with one job...unite and inspire the employee groups and he has done a phenomenal job of that. Everything else from UAs improving customer service metrics, operational and financial success piggy backs off that achievement. UA has a ways to go (all of the airlines have a ways to go to be blunt) but Oscar has been hitting all of the right points with the employees and that is his job.

I find it fascinating how people on here love to blame CEOs for everything...CEOs have three basic jobs in fortune 100 companies: Be the face of the company, motivate and inspire employees and build relationships with all of their stakeholder groups. They rarely come up with ideas on their own, make day to day decisions or really get into the weeds....
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

OB1504

Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:01 am

LMFNINJA wrote:
He has managed to piss off a lot of people during his tenure at UA. I find him to be an arrogant and incompetent fool esp. in the infamous Dr. David Dao incident.

Still leagues ahead of Jeff Smisek.

I'm disappointed that United keeps getting worse even under Oscar's leadership, though.

LMFNINJA

Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:02 am

OB1504 wrote:
LMFNINJA wrote:

I'm disappointed that United keeps getting worse even under Oscar's leadership, though.

I agree that United seems to be regressing under Munoz. It seems they are the least of the Big3.

United1

Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:07 am

OB1504 wrote:
LMFNINJA wrote:

How so are they getting worse?

Operationally, financially and even looking at customer service metrics things at UA are much better then they have been in years and those metrics continue to trend up. They are also for the first time in years growing rather substantially..

There are five or six posters on this site who stir up a storm anytime something happens to UA (or AS/B6/AA.) They take issues that shouldn't happen, but also rarely happen, and make it sound like they are daily events on UA (or other airlines.) Don't get caught up in the hype and drama that happens on this site...
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

CCGPV

Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:09 am

Is it me or has United always been clawing through PR and customer service disasters? Even in the 90's weren't they known for having busted interiors and generally awful operations compared with the other legacy players.

Am I way off base? If not, what's the deal with that? How can a company culture last like that?
Stay curious

kiowa

Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:23 am

LMFNINJA wrote:

I find this comment ignorant . Munoz took the high road and took responsibility for something that was not his fault. The media chastised him for the actions of Republic Airlines and the Chicago airport police . CEOs around the country learned that you never take responsibility for anything anymore.

SteelChair

Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:24 am

What have any american large airline leaders done of signifcance recently? Imho American corporations are the most over staffed and over compensated in the world, and no, I'm not a big Union guy.

Right now, a monkey leading a large airline could make billions. Customers still hate most airlines.

LAXLHR

Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:30 am

questions wrote:

Remember the UA passenger that was knocked out, or pushed. over at IAH check-in?
BA JM EA GK QH PA VS AA SN HP CO W7 WN NW DL QQ UA AC US LH LX OS JL QF QR PG MH CX U2 EK 9W UK TP VY VN PC LO OK OZ UL SQ

707 727 L10 732-NG 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 772 773 787 DC8 DC9 DC10 M80 M11 100 AB3 310 318 319 320 321 332 333 342 343 380

CATIIIevery5yrs

Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:44 am

They’ve repainted hundreds of airplanes and have maintenance in SFO. Oh wait that was the previous guy.

jumbojet

Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:03 am

ual763 wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

Well, I'll actually try to add something of value to this thread, unlike the quoted commenter...

Anyways, to answer the OPs question -

OM has done miracles towards improving employee morale. He was primarily responsible for unifying the schism between various employee groups after the Continental merger. The previous CEO (Smisek), didn't do much to bring employees together. Also, The employees love Oscar. I've witnessed this first hand after flying around the network on United the last few years with Oscar at the helm. They really do love him. He actually listens to his employees. Polaris was his idea. It hasn't been rolled out as fast as he had hoped for, but there are various causes for that, such as: third party production delays: projected capacity increases for the lounges, etc. But the project is finally gaining traction.

Oscar, while a nice guy I'm sure, is nothing but a glorified, overpaid cheerleader. How do you explain his initial comment to the dragging of the doctor off of that United flight?

OM..."Way to go team, great job out there today"......

There are times when you should be there to support your employees, that was not one of them.

By the way, was OM forced to give back that Man of the year award (or whatever it was)?

I think United for the most part has excellent employees and a great product in the making. Its just that they have build up this stigma about them that they will never shake,

hoons90

Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:13 am

He oversaw the reduction of flights to Korea, which went from a 3x daily 777/747 mix at its peak in the mid-2000s to a token, perfunctory single daily 787 service from SFO at nearly the same time that Korean Air doubled capacity on ICN-SFO, which is now flown twice daily by said airline. Presumably this move by UA was to adapt to their declining popularity in the Korean market.

In a similar timeframe, DL tripled its service to ICN even without a JV in effect.
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

ADrum23

Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:23 am

Oscar seems like a decent guy personally, but he seems to be having trouble reversing UA's tarnished image. I wonder why?

I'd argue Mr. "We'll never lose money again" Doug Parker over at AA is worse. He does everything he can to take the cheap way out and someday, it will come back to bite him.

ltbewr

Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:50 am

He also had to deal with 'the Charirman's Flight' scandal (the special non-stop flight to SC to bribe the Chair of the Port Authority of NY & NJ), some of the leftovers of the CO merger, the challenges of competition including the ME3 and Asian based ones. He has also pushed for more and higher fees, fares, tighter seating for the cheap flyers, and other issues.

tpaewr

Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:42 am

It is worth nothing the critical comments seems to be from those with the least involvement with the airline.

Barring nitch issues I think you would be hard pressed to find a customer or employee that did not say things have vastly improved since Oscar came along.

UA444

Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:55 am

CCGPV wrote:
Is it me or has United always been clawing through PR and customer service disasters? Even in the 90's weren't they known for having busted interiors and generally awful operations compared with the other legacy players.

Am I way off base? If not, what's the deal with that? How can a company culture last like that?

United in the 90s was the best airline in the US

United today is the worst.

TheRedBaron

Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:49 am

I don't know if good or bad but he got the 737- for 21 million order...and then changed it.... who knows for me UA is in the Doldrums...
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

LAX772LR

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:51 am

SteelChair wrote:
What have any american large airline leaders done of signifcance recently? Imho American corporations are the most over staffed and over compensated in the world, and no, I'm not a big Union guy.

Right now, a monkey leading a large airline could make billions. Customers still hate most airlines.

Have you thought through what your exact point in this (rather inane) statement actually is?
....if "a monkey could make billions," then what use/incentive would they have for making customers happy?
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

tpaewr

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:08 am

UA444 wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

Is it safe to assume you're separated from the company? 99% of the employees are upbeat about the change of direction.

I think almost anyone would agree the "worst" was United 2005-2015, not today by any means.

bgm

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:52 am

tpaewr wrote:
UA444 wrote:
CCGPV wrote:

Is it safe to assume you're separated from the company? 99% of the employees are upbeat about the change of direction.

I think almost anyone would agree the "worst" was United 2005-2015, not today by any means.

I think Dr David Dao would say 2017 was the “worst”
I think the lady who had her dog murdered by stuffing it in the overhead bin would say 2018 was the “worst.”

Ask yourself this: why do these shitty things keep happening on United Airlines?
When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

DocLightning

Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:37 am

Mr. Munoz is one of the few people who is NOT the problem at UA. He has managed to narrow the gap between employee groups and work on a new product.

But all is not well at UA. Many employees view their jobs as being secure because the airline is too big to fail. The customer is viewed as the enemy. The new Polaris brand seems to have flashed in the pan. I'm beginning to wonder if Mr. Munoz has done what he can at UA and if it'sn't time for someone for someone to come in and renew the brand.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

SteelChair

Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:39 am

LAX772LR wrote:
SteelChair wrote:

Have you thought through what your exact point in this (rather inane) statement actually is?
....if "a monkey could make billions," then what use/incentive would they have for making customers happy?

I'll spell it out for you: there is no incentive. The rise and fall of profitability of major airlines in the USA is independent of any actions by the airlines themselves .Exising airlines are hated and customers would use other options if they existed. Due to the 51% rule there is no other option.

Munoz and his peers at the other carriers are incompetent and hugely over compensated (compared to the rest of the world). Their staffs are hugely bloated due to patronage.

Clear enough?

oldannyboy

Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:54 am

gaystudpilot wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

Varsity1, is this from personal experience?

....probably.. :rotfl:

MIflyer12

Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:45 pm

SteelChair wrote:
Munoz and his peers at the other carriers are incompetent and hugely over compensated (compared to the rest of the world). Their staffs are hugely bloated due to patronage.

The size of executive staffs is largely immaterial to air carrier cost structures today. Would you like to look at measures of productivity of U.S. carriers vs. peers, like revenue per employee, or number of revenue passenger km per employee? I don't think you would.

Spend some time with annual reports. Look at where the money goes.

Munoz did achieve joint labor contracts with the mechanics and FAs. This is was important to achieve merger synergies and reduce some of the us-vs.-them behaviors.

Munoz isn't responsible for the Dao incident, nor the dead dog in the overhead. That's United's employee service culture, a contemptuous attitude towards passengers that goes back ~twenty years.

zakuivcustom

Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:36 pm

bgm wrote:
mcdu wrote:
bgm wrote:

I think Dr David Dao would say 2017 was the “worst”
I think the lady who had her dog murdered by stuffing it in the overhead bin would say 2018 was the “worst.”

Ask yourself this: why do these shitty things keep happening on United Airlines?

Why did a Delta agent threaten to take a family’s kids to foster care?

Why did a Delta pilot get filmed slapping a passenger in a jetbridge?

Have to aske yourself, why do these things happen at Delta

Point taken, let me rephrase the question: why do these horrid things seem to happen on US carriers?

Not necessarily, actually those things happened all over the world. If you live in US you just don't really know about many of those incidents anyway.

Blame Social Media and the "video first" culture if you ask me (Yes, that included the "Have to be the first person to take a video and stream it live during an emergency evacuation" type).

ual763

Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:52 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
bgm wrote:

Blame Social Media and the "video first" culture if you ask me (Yes, that included the "Have to be the first person to take a video and stream it live during an emergency evacuation" type).

This is spot on. Really, it's sad how society has become. It just seems that people are not happy anymore. We now live in a World where people are willing, and able, to boycott entire companies and anything associated with them for such trivial things as "ending a relationship with NRA", "not ending a relationship with the NRA". "This airline hates animals, let's boycott them." "This shop will not take down the cross in their window, let's boycott them." It's just sad. The smart phone is directly responsible for this too. People don't live their lives anymore. Their heads are always down in their smartphones.

cledaybuck

Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:11 pm

His primary accomplishment seems to be not being Jeff Smisek.

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:15 pm

He made a ton of money for himself. That was his accomplishment.

TVNWZ

Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:25 pm

Such negative vibes. I fly them more and more and find that they are offering a good service at a good price. I usually get to where I am going on time and without drama. The FC seats are comfortable and the planes are cleanish. And the planes are packed, so regular customers may not feel the negatively as those here.

COSPN

Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:29 pm

He treated the employees as professionals.. reversed the “Jeff “ pay cut and mined United forward

LMFNINJA

Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:56 pm

kiowa wrote:
LMFNINJA wrote:

I find this comment ignorant . Munoz took the high road and took responsibility for something that was not his fault. The media chastised him for the actions of Republic Airlines and the Chicago airport police . CEOs around the country learned that you never take responsibility for anything anymore.

The only comment that is "ignorant" is your pathetic attempt to justify Munoz's sub-standard performance. You conveniently ignore the salient fact that initially Munoz averred that Dr. Dao was himself responsible for his predicament and then did a complete about-face when the public outcry and demands for his resignation became profound.

avek00

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:06 pm

questions wrote:

A.net debates are usually stuck a decade, or more, in the past. The same is true about the current a.net "debates" regarding United.

Oscar's biggest contributions to United are 1) bringing the UACO merger -- by far, the most difficult of the US big airline mergers because the two sides were essentially equal in size -- to completion, on terms largely acceptable to all stakeholders; and 2) spurring long overdue investments in network, fleet, and product to heal the damage caused by decades of slash, burn, and internal conflict.
Live life to the fullest.

OA412

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:57 pm

Please keep this thread on topic, which is not why DL is shrinking in the Pacific but rather Oscar Munoz's impact at UA. Please feel free to start a separate thread and debate DLs pacific network.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

jetmatt777

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:25 pm

I think customers and employees alike are happy with Oscar at the helm. I think he is about ready to move on, but I think what he has done is nothing but respectable and his name will ring a positive light for many employees and customers for years to come.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

questions
Topic Author

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:28 pm

OA412 wrote:
Please keep this thread on topic, which is not why DL is shrinking in the Pacific but rather Oscar Munoz's impact at UA. Please feel free to start a separate thread and debate DLs pacific network.

Thank you moderator OA412! :)

The intent of this thread is to highlight and discuss the POSITIVE accomplishments Oscar Munoz has made during his tenure at United Airlines.

jumbojet

Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:53 pm

questions wrote:
OA412 wrote:

Thank you moderator OA412! :)

The intent of this thread is to highlight and discuss the POSITIVE accomplishments Oscar Munoz has made during his tenure at United Airlines.

Then maybe you should have used the word POSITIVE in your thread title. Because you didn't, you have invoked both positive and negative replies.

I think he has done an OK job but then again, anyone compared to Smisek will look amazing.
Last edited by jumbojet on Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PlanesNTrains

Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:04 pm

jumbojet wrote:

I think United for the most part has excellent employees and a great product in the making. Its just that they have build up this stigma about them that they will never shake,

Odd. That’s not how you describe their culture in the dog thread. Maybe I’m misunderstanding.
-Dave

”Yet somewhere in Iceland a great anger stirred in the soul of a troubled individual...” - Revelation

jumbojet

Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:17 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

Odd. That’s not how you describe their culture in the dog thread. Maybe I’m misunderstanding.

The problem with United is twofold. Oscar I think has been a very positive infuence to the newer employees but to the employees that have 10 plus years with the company, I think its harder to change their way of thinking from "We are the Big Bad UA" to Oscar's vision of what he wants UA to become. Also, United had a very tough stretch of time under Smisek and lost a lot of custoomers who might not ever go back. I think the vast majority of employees at UA are in fact awesome but you also have those that are set in their ways.

Isnt it funny how when something goes south with AA or DL, the baklash isnt as harsh as when its with UA? You ever wonder why? Its very simple, its because of UA's reputation.

The 2nd problem is that Oscar is replacing a guy who was a complete zero. Just about anyone could have walked through the door and looked like a rock star.

USAirKid

Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:22 pm

Oscar has been CEO for effectively two years. (He started September 2015, had a heart attack in October 2015, and returned March 2016.)

Airlines are huge organizations and moving them takes time. The simple fact that UA employees are singing his praises means he's doing something right. Theres also signs that the groundwork is being laid for improvement, bringing in Kirby to improve the operations, pricing, etc, as well as starting to look at the proper way to correct the airline's structural deficiencies by growing the smaller gauge fleet.

neutronstar73

Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:37 pm

janders wrote:
Oscar was asked by the BoD to step in and help with the big task of repairing relations with constituents like employees, customers, and investors following Smisek.

He's not an operational person (that's why Kirby arrived), and yes to some degree has managed to improve things especially among employees by delivering long overdue CBAs and working on breaking down the wall between former CO and UA factions.

Certainly, things are not perfect, but there is a new energy at UA, and Oscar helped with that warm and fuzzy feeling. I also believe him coming back after his surgery helped build powerful empathy for him.

I see you are from my home state, or you at least like out flag!

Anyways, I think, so far, that Munoz has been a DISASTER. The MURDERED DOG in the overhead bin seals it with me. If his employees don't know the basic rules of what, when, and how things are supposed to be put in overhead bins (prolly amongst the simplest of tasks, since you know....it was a DOG! And their own rules about pets posted everywhere should have made this EASY for the FA/FC ), then I shouldn't expect him to accomplish difficult things.

If you can't be brilliant in the basics, I expect you to be complete s**t in the more complicated stuff. Used to like flying UA, but what with beating up passengers, killing pets at nearly 3 times the rate of their competitors, and using taxpayer paid police to enforce THEIR profit making policies and procedures, I'm quite sure I will wait a long time before booking on UA again, if ever.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos