andrej
Topic Author

Eurowings - You Vote. We Fly!

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:08 am

Over the past few days, I have seen many FB post, where Eurowings took on a democratic approach and allowed people to vote to their next destination.
They have set up a website (https://www.vote-and-fly.com/) and had pretty massive campaign on FB (maybe other as well...but that is the only social media I am on). Eventually, people choose..Kosice (LZKZ / KSC) with a defining 61% vote. Great...airport that lost WizzAir recently will get a connection to Germany (and worldwide destinations in Eurowings network hopefully as well).

However, details are limited. Where will Eurowings fly from - Koln? Munich? Or other HUB? How frequently (weekly/daily)? Will this be seasonal or full-year service?
I have to say, despite the fact that this seems like a great news, I am bit skeptical.

Eurowings must have done a research on candidates cities/towns, but the shortlist of several airports around the Europe seems rather a PR gimmick than real intention to serve this destination. And the voting could have been easily rigged, one could vote more than once (from a different PC/mobile).

Will this route last more than a few weeks? I hope not, but allowing people on Facebook to 'choose' next destination seems more like an ad/PR campaign than well thought business decision.

LGAviation

Re: Eurowings - You Vote. We Fly!

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:35 am

They have not disclosed the respective EW hub beforehand in order to choose one that suits the relevant destination best and honestly I believe that TXL would work best but CGN and to a lesser extent MUC could work just as well. I think the other offered destinations could've worked too. I agree though that it could have easily been rigged and I would tend to believe that that happened to a certain extent but thats not necessarily a bad thing. If you get the Slovak community and those Germans that might have visited Kosice during GDR times behind it, that should be enough to sustain the flight.
2018: ADD CPH DAR DEN DME DUB FRA HAH HAM IST JIB KEF LYR MEL OSL PEK PKC PVG RAK STN SVO SYD YVR

HHScot

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:51 am

This really is just a PR stunt, but a good one.

I'm assuming they gave a narrowed down pre-analyzed list of routes as options to avoid a "Boaty McBoatface" issue with a BRR-KSF route comming out top!

Like elections, where the votes at the ballot box are the only ones that count, the only votes that will count here in the long term will be (paying) bums* on seats!

*By bums I'm referring to the British English meaning of the word to avoid any confusion for our US posters! :)

vfw614

Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:28 am

I suppose all the airports that were put forward had promised some incentives in case of a win. Looks like an elaborate scheme to cash in on money up for grabs for a route launch.

I think the most likely destination will be DUS. KSC-CGN has failed twice with Sky Europe and Wizzair. MUC and TXL are no EW hubs to speak of.

andrej
Topic Author

Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:59 pm

vfw614 wrote:
KSC-CGN has failed twice with Sky Europe and Wizzair. MUC and TXL are no EW hubs to speak of.

From what I have heard, WizzAir had pretty high load-factor (I know, it's about the yield) on this route. Main reason was HUB consolidation in VIE.
DUS or MUC would work well.

DUSZRH

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:45 pm

They already did it for SS18, where Mostar won and got 2 weekly flights each to both DUS and STR. There were talks in the FDH press (one of the possible destinations) that it would mean a flight to DUS, so DUS is the most likely for KSC. Maybe another frequency to HAM/STR/MUC. VIE is too close as an airport.

andrej
Topic Author

Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:51 am

DUSZRH wrote:
They already did it for SS18, where Mostar won and got 2 weekly flights each to both DUS and STR.

Thanks for the info. I was not aware of that.

DUSZRH wrote:
....so DUS is the most likely for KSC. VIE is too close as an airport.

DUS would be OK (I presume that worldwide connections as well). KSC is closer to BUD than VIE. Maybe you are thinking of BTS. :) I am certain that KSC can sustain a flight to DUS.

SCQ83

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:23 am

Eurowings should consider DUS-SCQ and TXL-SCQ in summer. VY operated those two routes a few years ago. And now the Lufthansa Group flies to FRA, MUC and ZRH from SCQ.

DUSZRH wrote:
They already did it for SS18, where Mostar won and got 2 weekly flights each to both DUS and STR. There were talks in the FDH press (one of the possible destinations) that it would mean a flight to DUS, so DUS is the most likely for KSC. Maybe another frequency to HAM/STR/MUC. VIE is too close as an airport.

Flights which have been downgraded to Dash Q400. The Q400 on the other hand is useful for Eurowings to open smaller destinations in nearby countries.

vfw614

Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:40 am

Not sure the Mostar flight will be a winner. Something like 3 hours block-time on a turboprop.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos