SInGAPORE_AIR

Branson To Launch 2nd Aussie Airline

Mon Mar 04, 2002 7:26 am

The Australian Extract

Branson considers second airline

March 03, 2002
VIRGIN founder Sir Richard Branson is considering setting up a second discount airlines in Australia, it was reported today.

The British tycoon said he hoped his original Australian airline, Virgin Blue, would eventually become a true rival to Qantas, which becomes Australia's sole full-service airline at midnight tomorrow night.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

donder10

RE: Branson To Launch 2nd Aussie Airline

Mon Mar 04, 2002 7:30 am

would eventually become a true rival to Qantas, which becomes Australia's sole full-service airline at midnight tomorrow night.

Umm I dont believe that.He needs to concentrate on the buisneese he has,and not start more.

eta unknown

Mon Mar 04, 2002 10:01 am

Who invents this garbage?

CX Flyboy

Mon Mar 04, 2002 10:03 am

Why would he start another airline to compete with his own, unless he means starting a full service, international-flying airline. Good luck to him!!

QANTASforever

Mon Mar 04, 2002 11:30 am

Perhaps he is planning to launch an international arm (nz???) of Virgin Blue which could be considered as a seperate airline flying under the one banner of VB. Just a theory.
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

QANTASforever

Mon Mar 04, 2002 11:46 am

perhaps he is planning to launch an seperate international arm of Virgin blue (NZ???) flying under the domestic airlines banner???? just an idea
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

wolfy

VS

Mon Mar 04, 2002 12:10 pm

Will it be something like "VIRGIN AUSTRALIA"?! It sounds cool to me!  Smile

Regards,

Wolfy

cwapilot

RE: Read The Whole Article!

Mon Mar 04, 2002 12:31 pm

Before all of the silly speculation, it would help if the original poster would posted the original article, in its entirety, rather than the first few lines. One solitary line within the article addresses this "second" airline.

Branson ponders second discount airline

Virgin founder Sir Richard Branson is considering setting up a second discount airlines in Australia, it was reported.

The British tycoon said he hoped his original Australian airline, Virgin Blue, would eventually become a true rival to Qantas, which becomes Australia's sole full-service airline at midnight on Monday night.

Virgin Blue has previously indicated its rapid expansion meant it would be hiring 1,000 extra staff by the end of this year, with preference given to former Ansett employees.

"In time we want to be a true alternative to Qantas on as many domestic routes as possible," Sir Richard reportedly told The Age newspaper from his retreat in the Virgin Islands.

"We could at some stage set up another airline with smaller planes to fill in the gaps."

Sir Richard also said Virgin Blue executives were debating whether or not to purchase Ansett's old terminals.

He said the fledgling airline needed to keep its costs down in order to continue delivering cheap flights.

"The kind of offers we have had over the last two years you will certainly continue to get over, hopefully, the next 10 years," he told the newspaper.

Sir Richard also revealed Virgin's airline analysts found a $100 million blowout in the Ansett rescue bid put forward by Lindsay Fox and Solomon Lew.

"At least they tried," he said of the businessmen who backed out of the deal to buy Ansett last Tuesday.

"It's easy to criticise people who try things and fail."

Southside Irish...our two teams are the White Sox and whoever plays the Cubs!

kaitakfan

Mon Mar 04, 2002 1:29 pm

why not name it Virgin Pacific if it goes international out of Australia!?!

aussie_

Mon Mar 04, 2002 2:29 pm

I think this 2nd airline is to be a regional carrier to fill in the gaps.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Mon Mar 04, 2002 5:06 pm

I think the poster didn't want the post deleted for copyright violation, therefore, I think the poster was right to do what the poster did.

I think the link there at the top of the thread is there so that people can read the entire article.

Crosswind

Mon Mar 04, 2002 9:49 pm

Legally, its a copryright violation if you use any copyrighted material without express permission from the copyright owner. You don't have to use the whole article to violate a copyright, or that would be a very easy way to get around the rules wouldn't it?

The only way to put a copyrighted article that can be read on airliners.net without permission is to paraphrase it and give a link to the full article.

I never studied the law of intellectual property, but that's my understanding of the situation, at least in the UK.

Regards
CROSSWIND

cwapilot

Mon Mar 04, 2002 10:08 pm

In any case, the poster should have read carefully enough to know not to leave out the pertinent portion of the article.
Southside Irish...our two teams are the White Sox and whoever plays the Cubs!

SInGAPORE_AIR

Tue Mar 05, 2002 1:15 am

I think the poster posted only the first few paragraphs so that if the person reading was enticed and enthrilled by the article, the person would click the link and read the full article.  Big grin

The_Greq

Tue Mar 05, 2002 1:47 am

Some people ask why?
Others:

Why not?

Regards,

Greg
http://www.crosswinds.net/~thegreq