TK787
Topic Author

Turkish Aviation April 2018

Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:16 pm

Hello there Turkish Aviation friends,
And just like that summer is around the corner :)
Here is an updated livery for MNG Airlines Cargo

Recap of some recent news:
-TK approved 787 and A350 orders according to stock market notice. 787-9 25+5 options, A350-900 25+5 options, deliveries starting 2019 with 6 frames. I can not wait until my first TK787 flight. Slight chance that they will be utilized on the JFK-IST flights (fingers crossed)
-Pegasus exercised its options for 25xA321NEOS. Continuing with Pegasus; they took delivery of 17th Airbus A320-251NEO (cn8136) TC-NBR named "IREM ASYA"
-Speaking of A321NEOs. On another thread, A321NEOLR made a 11 hrs flight with 172pax. Not sure if I should like this or not, 11 hrs on a single aisle jet :(
TK to receive 3 X 321NEOs this year, 18 next year. Not sure if any of them will be LR with 4000nm insead of 3500nm range? Any info on those? Thanks.
-Finally, few rumors…. A.net member “gokmengs” says, insider info says the opening of the new airport in Istanbul will be delayed by few months. And I’ve read in another forum that TK might be hiring an Italian designer to upgrade its uniforms.
Rumors :) let’s wait and see what happens.

Please continue with your news, views, photos, rumors and good old sense of humor as usual.
Welcome.

You can find last months thread here: Turkish Aviation March 2018

OA260

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2018

Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:25 pm

Thanks for a new thread.

TK787 wrote:
-Finally, few rumors…. A.net member “gokmengs” says, insider info says the opening of the new airport in Istanbul will be delayed by few months.

There are so many rumors and views on this even within TK managers themselves. I guess we will know soon enough .

AirAY

Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:17 pm

… and don‘t forget TK‘s next (it’s 10th A330–200F) or the first Airbus A330–223F, ex 9M–MUC (msn 1164)

BOEING777EK

Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:58 pm

Are there any new plans for MNG's fleet?

ctrabs0114

Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:50 am

Forgive me if this was mentioned in last month's thread, but TRT did a story on Istanbul New Airport:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmY1MGqENfg

I didn't realize that the planners of the new IST airport were looking to become the busiest in the world. How does that compare to the current IST passenger counts?
2018: BWI, PIT, MDW, MCI, STL, DAL

aldrigsomandre

Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:31 am

ctrabs0114 wrote:
Forgive me if this was mentioned in last month's thread, but TRT did a story on Istanbul New Airport:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmY1MGqENfg

I didn't realize that the planners of the new IST airport were looking to become the busiest in the world. How does that compare to the current IST passenger counts?

The projected passenger numbers are much higher than the current IST airport, but my problem is, I feel like they're rushing this. A project of this size should not be rushed. Safety is more important than prestige.

I won't be flying through the new IST for at least a couple of years before everything is in place, properly functioning.

I really hope everything goes as planned in October..

TK105

Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:41 am

TK787 wrote:
-Finally, few rumors…. A.net member “gokmengs” says, insider info says the opening of the new airport in Istanbul will be delayed by few months.

I was in a meeting a few days back with some people very close to ownership of INA. They do confirm that it is almost impossible for INA to be ready by Oct-2018. Obviously official openning date can not be changed easily. They will have to find a reasonable excuse to delay the transfer of operations from IST to INA. I also heard that INA project is a big loss for owners in its current contract. They are looking for a contractual “adjustment” to be on the positive side with government before the elections. Another alternative may be providing a very profitable compansation project to owners by government, which may be a totally independent project.
The future is in the skies.

Blerg

Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:34 am

Did Pegasus use all those new planes for growth or as replacement?

globetrotter94

Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:46 pm

TK787 wrote:
-Finally, few rumors…. A.net member “gokmengs” says, insider info says the opening of the new airport in Istanbul will be delayed by few months. And I’ve read in another forum that TK might be hiring an Italian designer to upgrade its uniforms.

Awww... really hope the airport is able to stay on schedule. Great news about TK getting new uniforms though--well overdue. I believe they tried a few years ago, but abandoned the effort due to poor reception of the new uniforms by the general public?
6E, 9W, AF, AI, BA, BI, CA, DN, IC, JL, KL, KU, NH, QR, SQ, TG, TK*, UA, VS

leftyboarder

Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:33 pm

globetrotter94 wrote:
TK787 wrote:

Awww... really hope the airport is able to stay on schedule. Great news about TK getting new uniforms though--well overdue. I believe they tried a few years ago, but abandoned the effort due to poor reception of the new uniforms by the general public?

Yes they had to abandon after leaked photos showed uniform designs more suited to Saudi Arabian airlines and there was a backlash.

TK787
Topic Author

Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:40 pm

leftyboarder wrote:
globetrotter94 wrote:
TK787 wrote:

Yes they had to abandon after leaked photos showed uniform designs more suited to Saudi Arabian airlines and there was a backlash.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/new-tu ... rows-40810
Wow, that was 5 years ago. And since then, nothing....
Yes, they were very Pakistani looking and I am sure not very comfortable for work nor efficient during emergencies. And why would any airline choose red as a main color for their uniforms. I would think you'd want to stay with cool and calmer colors. For TK, I would like to see shades of blue, grey, turquoise, white and accents of red.
As I have posted in the past, I was present when Virgin America chose their new uniforms out of half a dozen contestants in NYC. And I thought that was a celebration and such a great creative collaboration.
I hope TK, looks to this as an oppurtunity to further its global image.
Words like; chic, tailored, modern, pleasing.... should come to mind. And just like Cathay Pacific decided few days back, I hope they would allow female FA's to wear pants if they chose to. Maybe even a 1970's looking "Gaucho" pants. But please please stay away from that "East meets West" craziness. That is what I call an "in-between" button.
My heart is with a more Western look ( to differentiate from the EK look ), since TK will serve more and more transfer pax.

OA260

Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:47 pm

leftyboarder wrote:
globetrotter94 wrote:
TK787 wrote:

Indeed East / West arguements aside they were pure ugly and would have degraded the TK image. Lets hope they have learned a valuable lesson from the previous reactions.

mafaky

Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:14 pm

I was in a meeting a few days back with some people very close to ownership of INA. They do confirm that it is almost impossible for INA to be ready by Oct-2018. Obviously official openning date can not be changed easily. They will have to find a reasonable excuse to delay the transfer of operations from IST to INA.

Well, this inside info never ever surprised me... I also never ever believe to that figure of" 10.4 billion € of investment" which they were trying to impose allegeadly as the "cost of the entire project, of 4 phases when completed... :twisted:

I truly wonder about the main factors that have accumulated that alleged loss...There should be dozens of such factors...

Well, from day number one this was a "strange project" and a very questionable bidding. It gave me the impression that the number 2 and 3 finalists (namely the Fraport Group and TAV Group)were there to pull up the figure to a max on behalf of IGA. If by some mishap, one of these two ended up as the finalist the bidding would somehow be cancelled. The project was "destined" only for IGA and they sure got it. It is truly "remarkable" that the masterplan of the project and more than that the detailed architectural plans for the Terminal appeared only a short while after the bidding date. The overseas architects must have worked on it 48 hrs. a day!... :lol:

Well it looks like it doesn't always pays to be the "visionary" party being the winner in such mega-projects. Big hopes and expectations may also bring in "big losses" as predicted!... :roll: :banghead:

(For the Turkish speaking: "Kendi düşen ağlamaz!")

After writing the above comments, I came across the the following news (regretfully it's in Turkish);

Cengiz, Mapa, Limak, Kolin, Kalyon Ortak Girişim Grubu, üçüncü hava limanının yıllık 1 milyar Avro’luk kira bedeli için iki yıl öteleme istedi.

Yer seçiminden ihale sürecine her aşamada tartışma konusu olan, özellikle binlerce ağaç kesildiği için çevrecilerin, kente uzak olduğu için toplumun pek çok kesiminin tepkisini çeken yeni havalimanı ile ilgili tartışmalar bitmiyor. İstanbul’a yapılacak üçüncü hava limanı için açılıştan sonra ödenmeye başlanacak yıllık yaklaşık 1 milyar Avro’luk kira için iki yıllık öteleme istendiği belirtildi. Konuya yakın bir kaynak Cengiz, Mapa, Limak, Kolin, Kalyon Ortak Girişim Grubu’nun (OGG), hükümete iki yıllık kira ötelemesi için talepte bulunduğu bilgisini verdi.

http://www.cumhuriyet.com.tr/haber/e...o_istedi.html#

Brief translation: IGA Consortium Group has formally applied to the Government for postponement of the yearly 1 Billion plus fee they have to pay, for a term of 2 years.

My final comments:
1) It's not clear, at this stage, if they have also agreed for the postponement of the annual passenger guarantee fees or not.
2) It's not clear, at this stage, what the Government will say/accept. :cry:

(For the Turkish speaking: 1) Minareyi çalan kılıfı bu kadarcık mı hazırlamış? 2) "İstim arkadan gelsin" deyince demek ki bu kadar oluyormuş!)
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

andymartin

Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:17 pm

Maybe BER will be opened before the new Istanbul airport then?!

OA260

Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:20 pm

andymartin wrote:

I very much doubt the delay will be that long ;).

globetrotter94

Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:24 pm

andymartin wrote:

Oh no, no way whatsoever THAT is happening.

globetrotter94

Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:36 pm

TK787 wrote:
leftyboarder wrote:
globetrotter94 wrote:

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/new-tu ... rows-40810
Wow, that was 5 years ago. And since then, nothing....
Yes, they were very Pakistani looking and I am sure not very comfortable for work nor efficient during emergencies. And why would any airline choose red as a main color for their uniforms. I would think you'd want to stay with cool and calmer colors. For TK, I would like to see shades of blue, grey, turquoise, white and accents of red.
As I have posted in the past, I was present when Virgin America chose their new uniforms out of half a dozen contestants in NYC. And I thought that was a celebration and such a great creative collaboration.
I hope TK, looks to this as an oppurtunity to further its global image.
Words like; chic, tailored, modern, pleasing.... should come to mind. And just like Cathay Pacific decided few days back, I hope they would allow female FA's to wear pants if they chose to. Maybe even a 1970's looking "Gaucho" pants. But please please stay away from that "East meets West" craziness. That is what I call an "in-between" button.
My heart is with a more Western look ( to differentiate from the EK look ), since TK will serve more and more transfer pax.

Personally, even speaking as a non-Turk, I don't want either Western or Eastern. I want a "Turkish" look. Now, good luck to TK to define that to the satisfaction of passengers, general public, management, employees, etc. etc. etc. :spin:

Agree with your choice of colors though. Particularly turquoise, which I believe is a national color of Turkey? KU crew uniforms are turquoise-ish, and I always thought they looked brilliant! TK economy seats were turquoise before, and was quite disappointed when those were removed in favor of the current color scheme.

Flightsimboy

Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:56 pm

I hope you will not mind me posting a link to my trip report on Turkish Airlines on here :)

http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1390463

imthedreamliner

Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:16 am

mafaky wrote:
I was in a meeting a few days back with some people very close to ownership of INA. They do confirm that it is almost impossible for INA to be ready by Oct-2018. Obviously official openning date can not be changed easily. They will have to find a reasonable excuse to delay the transfer of operations from IST to INA.

Well, this inside info never ever surprised me... I also never ever believe to that figure of" 10.4 billion € of investment" which they were trying to impose allegeadly as the "cost of the entire project, of 4 phases when completed... :twisted:

I truly wonder about the main factors that have accumulated that alleged loss...There should be dozens of such factors...

Well, from day number one this was a "strange project" and a very questionable bidding. It gave me the impression that the number 2 and 3 finalists (namely the Fraport Group and TAV Group)were there to pull up the figure to a max on behalf of IGA. If by some mishap, one of these two ended up as the finalist the bidding would somehow be cancelled. The project was "destined" only for IGA and they sure got it. It is truly "remarkable" that the masterplan of the project and more than that the detailed architectural plans for the Terminal appeared only a short while after the bidding date. The overseas architects must have worked on it 48 hrs. a day!... :lol:

Well it looks like it doesn't always pays to be the "visionary" party being the winner in such mega-projects. Big hopes and expectations may also bring in "big losses" as predicted!... :roll: :banghead:

(For the Turkish speaking: "Kendi düşen ağlamaz!")

After writing the above comments, I came across the the following news (regretfully it's in Turkish);

Cengiz, Mapa, Limak, Kolin, Kalyon Ortak Girişim Grubu, üçüncü hava limanının yıllık 1 milyar Avro’luk kira bedeli için iki yıl öteleme istedi.

Yer seçiminden ihale sürecine her aşamada tartışma konusu olan, özellikle binlerce ağaç kesildiği için çevrecilerin, kente uzak olduğu için toplumun pek çok kesiminin tepkisini çeken yeni havalimanı ile ilgili tartışmalar bitmiyor. İstanbul’a yapılacak üçüncü hava limanı için açılıştan sonra ödenmeye başlanacak yıllık yaklaşık 1 milyar Avro’luk kira için iki yıllık öteleme istendiği belirtildi. Konuya yakın bir kaynak Cengiz, Mapa, Limak, Kolin, Kalyon Ortak Girişim Grubu’nun (OGG), hükümete iki yıllık kira ötelemesi için talepte bulunduğu bilgisini verdi.

http://www.cumhuriyet.com.tr/haber/e...o_istedi.html#

Brief translation: IGA Consortium Group has formally applied to the Government for postponement of the yearly 1 Billion plus fee they have to pay, for a term of 2 years.

My final comments:
1) It's not clear, at this stage, if they have also agreed for the postponement of the annual passenger guarantee fees or not.
2) It's not clear, at this stage, what the Government will say/accept. :cry:

(For the Turkish speaking: 1) Minareyi çalan kılıfı bu kadarcık mı hazırlamış? 2) "İstim arkadan gelsin" deyince demek ki bu kadar oluyormuş!)

I strongly agree with every word you say. I want non-Turkish readers to know all those facts. Cutting down thousands of trees, building the airport at a location which is far far away from the city, awarding the contract to a highly biased company etc etc. There are other politics related things as well ( I got a warning last time so I will not repeat them again ).

Reading how extremely difficult to make an additional runway to european airports, I feel bad when I see such an enourmous investment approved in the blink of an eye...

Blerg

Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:17 pm

Air Serbia's charter brand, Aviolet, will operate a one weekly flights from Banja Luka (Republika Srpska) to Antalya from June to September. This is the first time such a route is being operated. This is a major win for Turkey as all of these tourists used to spend their summer in Croatia.

http://www.exyuaviation.com/2018/04/air ... rters.html

TK787
Topic Author

Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:03 pm

Blerg wrote:
This is a major win for Turkey as all of these tourists used to spend their summer in Croatia.

I guess everyone counts. Correct me if I'm wrong but we are talking about a total of 1728 tourists in 4 months :) (June19-Sept11 one weekly)
Turkey welcomed 32.5M tourists in 2017, expecting 38M in 2018.
I just checked their fleet and it is amazing that all they have is 144Y 737-300s with an average age of 32 yrs, Wow!!

Blerg

Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:42 am

TK787 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
This is a major win for Turkey as all of these tourists used to spend their summer in Croatia.

I guess everyone counts. Correct me if I'm wrong but we are talking about a total of 1728 tourists in 4 months :) (June19-Sept11 one weekly)
Turkey welcomed 32.5M tourists in 2017, expecting 38M in 2018.
I just checked their fleet and it is amazing that all they have is 144Y 737-300s with an average age of 32 yrs, Wow!!

Well, you gotta start somewhere, no? :D
If these flights prove to be successful then next summer they could double the number. Mind you, Aviolet (JU) will operate around four daily departures from BEG to AYT.

Those B733s were transferred from Jat when newer Airbuses started to arrive. That said, JU still occasionally uses them for regular flights when there is a fleet shortage. In February they retired one of the B733s but now it's being brought back as they need the extra capacity for summer charters.

alaturka

Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:18 am

Turkish aviation site says; "Atlasjet will suspended all Ukrain flight effective April 24."

What do you think? Will they deploy this birds on more profitable summer routes or they have financial problems at the moment?

https://www.airlinehaber.com/thy-ukrayn ... rari-aldi/

Yakamoz

Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:09 am

alaturka wrote:
Turkish aviation site says; "Atlasjet will suspended all Ukrain flight effective April 24."

What do you think? Will they deploy this birds on more profitable summer routes or they have financial problems at the moment?

https://www.airlinehaber.com/thy-ukrayn ... rari-aldi/

They stop all scheduled flights beside Paris and Belgrade. This summer they will fly charter flights from Dalaman and Antalya to Russia. But next winter, if they exist we will see. Their fleet decreased from 25 to 16 last winter.
Btw stop of all activities in Ukraine means that Atlasglobal Ukraine cease operations. They have 1 A320 in the fleet.

Blerg

Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:17 pm

KK's IST-BEG is more or less a scheduled charter flight. It's there to mostly carry Turkish tourists to Serbia.

TK105

Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:09 pm

Last week I spot 2 Antonov at the same time at ESB. I have no idea why they were there.

Also I took photo of 3rd runway of ESB. Looks like project has stoped since Nov17.

And here is the latest situation of 2nd runway of SAW. I think this project will not finish before 2019, even 2020.

I was able to take a photo of INA last Monday. From out side, project seems to be close to completion.

And finally here is recently released pax numbers for Jan-Mar 2018:
IST +22%
SAW +19%
ESB +41%
ADB +16%
AYT +18%
Turkey +21.7%

ESB legent continues and keeps the pace for 20M passenger target. We can also expect TK's growth rate to be around 25% for the same period.

Turkish350XWB

Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:43 am

I calculated some 12 months figures
IST 66.478.069 (overtook FRA?)
SAW 32.650.317
ESB 17.143.909

TK787
Topic Author

Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:34 pm

-Well, at least one of the rumors from the thread starter post is true now. Milan based designer Ettore Bilotta is working on the new TK uniforms. Looks like he has done some uniforms for Alitalia and Etihad and they look good, tailored and modern. Only thing I don't like, they are going to be influenced by the color of the Turkish flag.....Red. I always associate the color red with alarm, danger, stress, fire .... maybe that is just me. If you've ever travelled on Austrian or Aeroflot you might have experienced the feeling.
-Also from the same article, TK's Ilker Ayci says they are working on a new cabin interior look.
-And very interesting info, that they are looking at Regional Jets for domestic ops, jets under 100 seats. Finally do we see some E-jets under TK colors?

A question: What is 41% increased pax number coming from for ESB?? How much of that number is due to increased frequency, how much is due to increased load factor/seats offered? Thank you.

TK105

Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:42 pm

TK787 wrote:
A question: What is 41% increased pax number coming from for ESB?? How much of that number is due to increased frequency, how much is due to increased load factor/seats offered? Thank you.

I don’t think frequency, load factor, number of seats, etc ever a factor here. It is said that pax numbers of 20M for 2018, 25M for 2019 and 30M for 2020 is well reachable. There are 2 main reasons behind it:

1- Booming business in Ankara, especially high-tech companies. The tech habitat created by ODTU (METU) and its spin of Bilkent Uni. emerges many high profit, cash rich companies in contrast to loan addicted conventional companies of IST. For example Aselsan is now the most valuable company of Turkey, as per BIST listing. More companies to follow this trend. This situation attracts many well educated young people to Ankara. Per capita income has always been the highest in Ankara but this gap will further grow in near future. This high income young professionals also likes to travel a lot. They have to travel a lot for business as well.

2- ESB has a geographical advantage over IST/SAW for connecting domestic travel. Overall travel time is much shorter within Turkey through ESB for connecting traffic. For example if you will travel from Erzurum to Antalya, even if everything goes perfect, you need to fly around an hour more via IST/SAW. This is not only loss of travel time but also an additional cost to pay. Also people hate IST/SAW problems and their unpredictable delays due to various reasons. Especially Y generation does not tolerate this. So ESB is a natural hub for Turkey even if TK/government likes it or not!

TK787
Topic Author

Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:08 pm

TK105 wrote:
I don’t think frequency, load factor, number of seats, etc ever a factor here.

I understand what you are saying but how did it go up 41%?
-More airlines flying to ESB in these 3 months?
-Airlines increasing flights to ESB?
-Airlines using bigger planes?
-Was there an increase in demand due to low fares?
or simply same planes, same freqs, same capacity but seats are filling up due to higher demand?

Because 41% increase is a very big increase in what is considered; slow season.
Something had to ignite this.
Thank you.

atcsundevil

Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:04 pm

Please stick to aviation discussion, as required by the rules for the Civil Aviation Forum. Political discussion can freely take place in the Non Aviation Forum.

✈️ atcsundevil

ankaraflyjet

Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:09 am

Yes I was about to ask the same, ESB traffic is growing so high and we need to identify the reason for that. On the international sector we have 4 daily direct flights to Ukraine now that did not exist two years ago (twice daily Kiev by Pegasus, one daily Kiev by Ukrainian Airlines and one daily Odessa by Pegasus), Saudia has daily flights to Jeddah and Medina (a daily on a rotating basis), Fly Baghdad (thrice weekly Baghdad) and Kam Air (bi weekly to Kabul and Mazar-ı Sherif) and some Eurowings/Germania services to various destinations in Germany are recently added. With TK's direct services to Paris, Vienna, Frankfurt and Berlin we could add may be another daily so we are looking at an addition of more or less approximately 6 daily departures from ESB (these are all narrow body but Saudia uses a mix of A320 and A330 to ESB).

This more or less clarifies the situation for international traffic increase. There should be more domestic flights to prove the increase in pax in domestic flights but I cannot capture that, may be someone can elaborate on that topic. According to Star Alliance TK (Including AnadoluJet) has 832 weekly departures from ESB if that helps.

TK787 wrote:
TK105 wrote:
I don’t think frequency, load factor, number of seats, etc ever a factor here.

I understand what you are saying but how did it go up 41%?
-More airlines flying to ESB in these 3 months?
-Airlines increasing flights to ESB?
-Airlines using bigger planes?
-Was there an increase in demand due to low fares?
or simply same planes, same freqs, same capacity but seats are filling up due to higher demand?

Because 41% increase is a very big increase in what is considered; slow season.
Something had to ignite this.
Thank you.

leftyboarder

Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:18 am

I doubt you can add 40% to pax without adding flights. Even if you consider 90% LF now, that would mean load factor was 63% last year. That kind of jump seems impossible. No upgauges either as both AJet and PC have only narrowbodies with similar seat counts. So possibly new domestic flights by PC and a few extra frequencies by TK and AJet?

Yakamoz

Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:59 am

TK has added some new intl routes last winter season which hadn't exist in prior years. Plus some new routes from intl. carriers like Fly Baghdad; Pegasus (Odessa).

The increase in Ankara was %43 domestic and %27 intl. Domestic increased because of new frequencies by Ajet but also Pegasus.

To compare with winter 16/17 is in my opinion not really helpful. There was still an impact of 2016 things so the big % of increase is normal.

TK105

Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:09 pm

For now demand is supplied by added frequencies and with some additional frames. For example AJ trunk routes ESB-ADB and ESB-AYT have on average 12 daily frequencies each direction. Probably this will further grow in the summer. Also load factor is close to 90%.

ESB domestic demand is supplied by only AJ/TK and Pegasus for now. Sun Express has some flights but limited to 2-3 daily flights only.

TK787
Topic Author

Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:50 pm

Thanks for all the answers about ESB. So, maybe some of the RJ fleet Ilker Ayci is talking about could be based there.
If TK is looking for RJs, who do you think are the candidates; E190/195 vs. CS100/CS300 or something else?

LAXintl

Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:32 am

Keep in mind the larger TK business plan post opening of the new airport has room for up to 100 smaller feeder aircraft.
This was stated by Kotil a couple years back and would allow TK to link many tertiary markets to the new IST hub, and also provide a platform for some smaller p2p flying.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

globetrotter94

Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:41 am

TK787 wrote:
Thanks for all the answers about ESB. So, maybe some of the RJ fleet Ilker Ayci is talking about could be based there.
If TK is looking for RJs, who do you think are the candidates; E190/195 vs. CS100/CS300 or something else?

MRJs? Or is 70-90 seats too little?

Yakamoz

Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:47 am

TK787 wrote:

I hope CS100/300 but TK will take E-jets, I have that feeling because they have used them from Borajet.

Blerg

Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:48 am

Turkish-Russian relations seem to be warming up, especially after the recent meeting with Iran. I wouldn't be surprised if Russia tries to sell the SSJ to TK.

TK787
Topic Author

Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:08 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Keep in mind the larger TK business plan post opening of the new airport has room for up to 100 smaller feeder aircraft.
This was stated by Kotil a couple years back and would allow TK to link many tertiary markets to the new IST hub, and also provide a platform for some smaller p2p flying.

Not sure about the eventual pricing but wouldn't CS100 make more sense with 3100nm range?
I guess, first TK has to define what would be the longest mission distance for these RJs. I mean, Goa, Kilimanjaro, Tenerife from INA will be all feasible, but wouldn't flying them to Odessa, Krakow or Eilat (under 2-3 hours) make more sense??

leftyboarder

Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:48 pm

Where would TK fly these though? Existing destinations to be replaced by TK Regional or new destinations? I somehow doubt there are that many destinations that can be flown with regional aircraft that TK doesn't already fly to.

globetrotter94

Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:12 pm

leftyboarder wrote:
Where would TK fly these though? Existing destinations to be replaced by TK Regional or new destinations? I somehow doubt there are that many destinations that can be flown with regional aircraft that TK doesn't already fly to.

More frequencies around Eastern Europe, Eastern Mediterranean, and Turkey itself? I remember from his interviews in English that Temel Kotil was all about frequencies.

TK787
Topic Author

Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:15 pm

Couple more news from TK website:
-Our Incorporation has decided to purchase one B737MAX, two A320CEO/NEO, one A330, one B777-300ER, two B787-9 and two A350-900 simulators, a total of 9 simulators from CAE.
-One A340-500 aircraft, used in VIP services, has been sold.

TK787
Topic Author

Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:39 pm

leftyboarder wrote:

-That is the question. I guess in the past, TK decided A319 is the smallest jet to be the "new route tester" type. I bet, with the new airport, no more slot limitations, TK can even offer flights to a bigger market. (A 100 seater with 14 legs a day, might make more money than a 787 with 2 legs a day.) I am sure someone will correct me on this :)
-About the VIP 340-500. What happened there? Bought for $78M, built for Tunisian president, 9 yrs old, got refurbished in the US after purchase for many months, probably millions of dollars went to refurbishing.... why???
Either; they sold it to for profit ( to whom???), not enough usage??, or maybe found a better deal on an upgrade; 747/380/350/787 type??
Any ideas??

Turkish350XWB

Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:52 pm

My wishlist covers the CS 100 to use 10x daily to LCY.

mafaky

Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:18 pm

About the VIP 340-500. What happened there? Bought for $78M, built for Tunisian president, 9 yrs old, got refurbished in the US after purchase for many months, probably millions of dollars went to refurbishing.... why???
Either; they sold it to for profit ( to whom???), not enough usage??, or maybe found a better deal on an upgrade; 747/380/350/787 type??
Any ideas??

Simple & quick answer: Turkish Republic is a very rich and generous State!... And not poor enough to use a 9 yr. old frame for VIP/Presidential flights!... :roll: :mad:

And why to insist on using a fuel-thirsty 345, anyway? :airplane: :ugeek:
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

mafaky

Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:23 pm

Turkish350XWB wrote:
My wishlist covers the CS 100 to use 10x daily to LCY.

And where from? Gatwick, Luton, Heathrow??? :lol: :?

TK787
Topic Author

Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:20 pm

mafaky wrote:
Simple & quick answer: Turkish Republic is a very rich and generous State!... And not poor enough to use a 9 yr. old frame for VIP/Presidential flights!... :roll: :mad:

And why to insist on using a fuel-thirsty 345, anyway? :airplane: :ugeek:

I am pretty surprised that this came out of nowhere. Also I found about it by chance, I was looking at their press release about the purchase of simulators.
We will know more once we learn the selling price and the new owner. It is a shame that this frame went for a total overhaul for more than a year in the US, before its delivery to the VIP fleet. Reminds me of TK's 310 fleet being turned into Cargo planes only few years before their retirement. Wasted money :(
I doubt this 340-500 sold for a big profit. Looking online I saw at least 4 other 345 VIPs for sale.

Photo of both TK VIPs here in NY : https://twitter.com/yorukisik/status/911511976588783616

Here it is at KISP only 6 months ago during a UN meeting. For security, TC-CAN and TC-TUR travelled together. Which tells me that this sale is not due to downsizing, we might see another Long Range VIP plane soon.

Avianca

Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:20 am

Dear all, any idea how the IST-HAV-CCS-IST and IST-BOG-PTY-IST flights are doing,
At least from test bookings - it seems that Businss Class on the BOG-PTY flight is doing quite good.

Cheers
Avianca
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos