Thom@s
Topic Author

"Hands Up If You Want To Make An Emergency Landing

Mon Mar 04, 2002 9:19 pm

This is what an airline pilot told his 250 passengers as flemes were seen from one of the engines. The flight was from Milano to Cuba. The pilot claimed they would make it across the atlantic but said the passengers could decide.

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

Thom@s
Topic Author

RE: "Hands Up If You Want To Make An Emergency Landing

Mon Mar 04, 2002 10:20 pm

I realise that was a poor text above. Let me tell it to you guys more as an article.

The plane had just taken off from Milano heading for Cuba sunday afternoon. Suddenly flames were seen from one of the engines. The passengers were worried as they saw the flames and could smell the smoke in the cabin, but the pilot remained calm. He said "Everything is under control, we had engine trouble, but it is ok now. We will make it across the atlantic."

He then continued "However due to some worried travelers we will vote for wether we return to Milan for an emergency landing or not. Those of you who wish to turn around, raise your hands now." Practically all of them did.

The plane arrived safely back at milan after dumping fuel. The passengers were offered to fly to Cuba on a different plane, but several refused. Can you blame them?

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

Aegis

Mon Mar 04, 2002 10:25 pm

Unbelieveable. You wouldn't catch me with my hand down in that situation.
You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

chepos

Mon Mar 04, 2002 10:52 pm

I would say the captain acted a bit negligent by telling the pax to vote, he should have just returned immediately to Milan.
Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

Critter_592

RE: Hands Up If You Want To Make An Emergency Landing

Tue Mar 05, 2002 12:12 am

Maybe it was a joke, the pilot may have just been trying to keep everyone calm.

Thom@s
Topic Author

Tue Mar 05, 2002 4:39 pm

I doubt he was joking. It seems he seriously wanted to go across the Atlantic. I wonder if his job is in jeopardy now after this occured.

Thom@s

blink182

Wed Mar 06, 2002 7:48 am

I don't think his job is in jeopardy. I thought he was pretty smart about it by letting the pax vote. I hope he gets some kind of bonus or recognition for that.

blink
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

bacardi182

Wed Mar 06, 2002 9:14 am

Must have been a joke, no way in hell a pilot in comand will let his aviation-illeterate passengers makes his desisions!

Thom@s
Topic Author

Wed Mar 06, 2002 10:51 pm

Well, the passengers weren't laughing if it was a joke.  Smile

Thom@s

SAS_A330-300

Wed Mar 06, 2002 11:46 pm

Yes, I've heard about that. The accident happend onboard the Portuguese airline, Yes Charter Airlines. The aircraft was a L1011-500. So it still had 2 engines to go on.

Personally, I find this very funny.  Smile

Regards, Simon
You know the gear is up when it takes full power to taxi

Lucifer

Thu Mar 07, 2002 4:30 am

Blink182 - it is not a democracy - he should have the judgement to decide.

SASA330 - I assume he had the fuel to continue - am not sure of the rules of the TriStar unlike the 747 that can continue after a failure to as close as possible to the/a maintenance base, however I suggest he showed poor judgement in not returning to his company's base or point of origin without a vote. Cuba's not really the place for a new engine, unless his company keeps one there.

FrequentFlyKid

Thu Mar 07, 2002 5:46 am

What the hell are we paying them for? What else does he want us (as passengers) to do? Fly the plane for him!

heavymetal

Thu Mar 07, 2002 8:47 am

Blink..

The airline has awarded him a villa in Spain in recognition of his democratic spirit...provided of course the plane he flies back on from Cuba doesn't lose two engines and blows three tires...and THOSE pax vote to continue on!

They've also supplied the villa with a housekeeping staff, who will be called upon to vote in the event of a house fire as to whether the fire department need be called.

Smokin cool